Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Impressions after 50 days

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 AM
TxBlackG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Impressions after 50 days

I think I have finally found the car I've wanted for a long time. 2011 G37S sedan AT with Nav. I'm coming from a 2010 Hyundai Genesis V8 sedan. While no car is perfect, the G is pretty close. However, I'm a little dismayed at some of the features not include on this 'luxury' car. Or it's possible I don't know how to enact those features.

I love the power and especially the handling of the G. The S suspension is EXACTLY what I was looking for. The seats are also fantastic. And I can get into the PERFECT driving position I like. Here are some of my nitpicks, if I'm just ignorant and don't know how to enact the feature, please let me know.

1. Side mirrors don't tilt down when in Reverse. My old 5-series and Hyundai did that and since I back in almost everywhere, this is helpful. I have a camera, but prefer to use the mirrors.
2. No outside temperature gauge. Not a big deal, but nice to have.
3. No auto up windows. What's up with this? Even Acura does this now.
4. Can't seem to turn off the auto-lock feature. At 15mph, there is the familiar 'click'. I've read other posts on this site and have seen the same issue. I believe I've tried the hold down the lock button for 5 seconds, but it doesn't seem to do anything.
5. When searching for a song on my USB, the stereo actually goes to the song the 'cursor' is on, even while searching thru the pages of songs. In other words, while searching, the stereo changes songs as I'm searching, instead of waiting until I actually select the song I want.
6. The order in which the songs appear on my USB. I know there are 2 ways to order the folders, but the folders themselves are not grouped in any sort of order.

That's about it. Not deal breakers, but for a car of this level, I do expect a little more. And like I said, if I'm being ignorant, which is totally possible, let me know how to remedy the issue. Thanks guys, and I hope to be passing you soon when I install my Stillen supercharger next year.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
2. Its in the small screen in between the speedometer and tach. There are buttons on the cluster trim to change screens.
3. I dont know of any G37 that does not have auto up or down on windows, maybe you need to reprogram it.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The m has the reverse mirrors, I guess they had to save some features for that car or else nobody would really want to buy it.

All g has the auto up and down feature just have to reprogram it possibly.

The auto lock feature can be turned off just do some research about it.

I use my iPhone to play music so what you are experiencing is different from me. Can't help with that.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:13 AM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
To program your auto up/down windows, do the following for each window (can do all from drivers side buttons)

hold window down button for 10 sec then immediately up for 10 sec and keep holding and it will program the auto feature.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:38 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
The temp gauge is in the cluster, all the windows and roof are auto open/close. I wish the mirrors titled down but eh not a huge deal.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by TxBlackG37S
That's about it. Not deal breakers, but for a car of this level, I do expect a little more. And like I said, if I'm being ignorant, which is totally possible, let me know how to remedy the issue. Thanks guys, and I hope to be passing you soon when I install my Stillen supercharger next year.
Temp is displayed on the panel between the Speedo and Tach. You cycle through what is displayed there with the controls on the right of the dashboard cowl over the speedo and tach. And all 4 windows auto-up. Maybe you have the lock switch depressed.

Since you have the RWD Sport Package, it's better to look at it as a Sport Sedan first, and entry-level luxury second (if at all). Everybody has different automotive values, so speaking for myself I'd say none of your concerns matter one wit. You've got a sport suspension, big brakes, limited slip, firm sport seating, high-performance tires, close-ratio steering and 328 horsepower... that's what your car is all about, IMO, not all that electronic nonsense.

Then again... I thought that about the back-up camera and sensors, but now I really appreciate having them.

Welcome to the forum, OP. Read your owners manual, it's fun.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-11-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:57 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Most of your concerns have been answered, but I would like to comment on #6.

I only use my audio with an iPhone and for me, it works perfectly. I don't know if older iPods will work the same way, but they are supposed to. Maybe someone could give some insight on that. If an older generation iPod (such as an iPod nano) works, then that can be found for cheap and I think it would be better than having using a USB, since you won't have the problem you specified.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
Most of your concerns have been answered, but I would like to comment on #6.

I only use my audio with an iPhone and for me, it works perfectly. I don't know if older iPods will work the same way, but they are supposed to. Maybe someone could give some insight on that. If an older generation iPod (such as an iPod nano) works, then that can be found for cheap and I think it would be better than having using a USB, since you won't have the problem you specified.
I have a nano I got for Christmas in 2008, works fine.
The following users liked this post:
alfredo24pr (10-11-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Johnny Hwang

Hey I have the exact same car, but it's day 42 for me today. My biggest pet peeve is that the side mirrors don't turn farther out to the edges, but that's about it. iPod classic works great. Too bad Apple isn't making them anymore :|.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
How does the Genesis V8 sedan compare to the G37 Sedan? Once you get use to backing up with the camera..it's WAY better.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Once you get use to backing up with the camera..it's WAY better.
Agreed! As I was reading the OP's post, I was thinking the same thing. It's a habit thing though.

I too use an iPod nano for my older G sedan since I can't stream audio through the BT system. It charges itself and I update the songs every month or so. Works great and offers another option along with the XM, CD, and hard drive.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:21 PM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
all the windows and roof are auto open/close.
My roof only auto opens. I have to hold the button to close it.
OP, Turn your radio off. Hold the setting button while turning the volume know up. Keep going until you get into the hidden menu. You can do all sorts of things.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Johnny Hwang

If your windows don't auto close, there is a recall for 2011 G37's. Go check it out.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with the OP more could have been done on the Luxury and quality side....I really like that all around sonar stuff that lets you know when it's safe to lane change....and also not only folding mirrors but lights on them. That said I don't think you can find a better real sports sedan that has this kind of quality in this size or price range. I would change a lot of things about my car but still love it. I tend to floor it a lot and brake hard and it just takes a beating and keeps working ...it's a tough car I think.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 AM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh I and the rattles suck ...and I hate Bose period. Bose is the jedi mind trick of audio....and a marketing term ...Not a high end stereo company.

Quick Reply: 1st Impressions after 50 days