Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Anyone with 4.08 gears and 7AT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:55 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PongSanity
Should also look into changing your differential bushings while that pumpkin is out... No more wheel hop...
Yep. Already read about the whiteline bushings.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:06 AM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
OP, i believe you have a one piece ds. should you buy a diff from an 08 or a manual G, be careful of what you'll need to get. it may be as simple as a yoke or locating an entire ds and then piecing something together. That's what solidus has done, and what I am doing. I didn't get enough even tho solidus warned me... I ended up getting a 2012 diff from a 370z with VLSD and an 09 ds from a MT sedan. will still need to piece that damn thing together...
Old 09-29-2014, 01:15 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
From what I have read, the 4.08 is too much gear for the 7at. Basically makes 1st and 2nd gears useless, the 3.69 on the other hand would be a nice upgrade. I think all you would need to do is change the flange on the diff for the 7at and your good to go. As far as the cruise control, I think you need to get a tune to have that adjusted but don't quote me on that. Whatever swap you decide on, please report back to this thread to give us your impressions.

Edit: if you are getting the rear end from a 5at 08 g37,it may be just a bolt on and go, I'm not sure if the flanges where the driveshaft meets the diff are the same.
Guess you never rode in a car with 4.08 gears!!
they are not to much at all if you know how to drive and once you get use to them you will be glad you put them in.. I have had them for over a year now and love them I wouldn't put any other gear in but 4.08..
Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
chuckie311

Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
Looking for help on the 4.08 gears for the 7AT

I know you need a 3.6 from the manual transmission (g37 or 370z if I recall correctly) and then the 4.08 gears.

Can just leaving the 3.6 from the manual be done, without using the 4.08 or will it not work?

Please post your experiences. Again, this is for the 7AT and I know that cruise control will be lost.
yes you are correct you need the differential from a Manual..

if you want to use the 3.69 you will have no issues..the reason you need the Manual differential is because the housing for it is for the bigger gears of the 4.08..

you do not need a half drive shaft off of a Manual.. they took the flange off of my differential for the Auto and put it on the Manual differential with the 4.08 gears in it..i have had 0 issues since install over a year ago..
Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 PM
alfredo24pr

Originally Posted by dgey1
OP, i believe you have a one piece ds. should you buy a diff from an 08 or a manual G, be careful of what you'll need to get. it may be as simple as a yoke or locating an entire ds and then piecing something together. That's what solidus has done, and what I am doing. I didn't get enough even tho solidus warned me... I ended up getting a 2012 diff from a 370z with VLSD and an 09 ds from a MT sedan. will still need to piece that damn thing together...
sounds like a PITA tbh..I'm not worried about the process and parts, but what worries me is starting the install/process and then having to leave the car collecting dust at a workshop, while some other part that I would need to arrive or even worse, having to look around different websites and junkers for the part to be available.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:32 AM
chuckie311

why would you have to leave the car at the shop if you order the differential you have all the time in the world to work on it until you get ready to install it on your car.

this is all you need to get stated and finished

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06-07-08-Nissan-350Z-Locking-LSD-Differential-3-538-Ratio-36801-/281444050051?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41875f6483&vxp=mtr

Differential Final Drive Gears Ring and Pinion 3.9, 4.08, 4.36
Old 09-30-2014, 01:40 PM
dgey1

chuckie,

should the op go with 4.08's, you're correct regarding the yoke in the rear, but if he purchases a manual diff and uses it as is, 3.692 and hopefully VLSD, their are differences that just a yoke change will not fix.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...-on-awd-g.html

check this thread out...
Old 09-30-2014, 02:10 PM
alfredo24pr

Originally Posted by chuckie311
why would you have to leave the car at the shop if you order the differential you have all the time in the world to work on it until you get ready to install it on your car.

this is all you need to get stated and finished

03 04 05 06 07 08 Nissan 350Z Locking LSD Differential 3 538 Ratio 36801 | eBay

Differential Final Drive Gears Ring and Pinion 3.9, 4.08, 4.36
But what about the install process? I was told that a driveshaft from a 6MT sedan (in my case since I have a sedan) was also needed.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM
dgey1

op, since you're going to 4.08, get a manual transmission rear diff with VLSD and have the gears installed. doing this yourself isn't an option unless you have all the tools and know how. Once this is done, the yoke from your original diff should be used as chuckie stated. There will not be problems... cost will be gears, oil, diff rebuild kit, shims and labor for the install. Speak with mechanics and find someone you're comfortable with....
Old 09-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Solidus
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Going off Coops install I decided to use the Manual shaft because the 6MT diff doesn't have the centering pinion and putting an AT flange there without a means of positively centering it is kinda winging it , you may get it right but you may not. With an MT flange there's no doubt. It's been done yes but if Coop felt the need to change it regardless of power I chose to just do mine that way from the beginning.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:42 PM
chuckie311

you do not need a drive shaft I don't know why everyone thinks you do.. mine was done without replacing a drive shaft only the flang was changed...if you look at the ebay listing I sent you you will see that there is no centering shaft I bought the rear differential that did not have one..mine was from a 2008 g35..
look here is a pic of the flange on a 350z see how there is no centering shaft..
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with 4.08 gears and 7AT?-350z.jpg  
Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Solidus
Registered Member

you do not need a drive shaft I don't know why everyone thinks you do.. mine was done without replacing a drive shaft only the flang was changed...if you look at the ebay listing I sent you you will see that there is no centering shaft I bought the rear differential that did not have one..mine was from a 2008 g35..
look here is a pic of the flange on a 350z see how there is no centering shaft..
You're right there is no centering pinion on the 6MT because the 6MT uses a centering ring on the surface of the driveshaft flange. The AT flange does not have this and you rely on the rubber coupling to stabilize without the benefit of a universal joint that's found only on the MT driveshaft. It can be done for sure but I personally like to benefit from the experience of others and when Coop did his initial install it didn't take long for him to see the light.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Solidus
Registered Member

You're right there is no centering pinion on the 6MT because the 6MT uses a centering ring on the surface of the driveshaft flange. The AT flange does not have this and you rely on the rubber coupling to stabilize without the benefit of a universal joint that's found only on the MT driveshaft. It can be done for sure but I personally like to benefit from the experience of others and when Coop did his initial install it didn't take long for him to see the light.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 PM
alfredo24pr

Originally Posted by dgey1
op, since you're going to 4.08, get a manual transmission rear diff with VLSD and have the gears installed. doing this yourself isn't an option unless you have all the tools and know how. Once this is done, the yoke from your original diff should be used as chuckie stated. There will not be problems... cost will be gears, oil, diff rebuild kit, shims and labor for the install. Speak with mechanics and find someone you're comfortable with....
I won't be doing this myself as I don't even understand what is being said here lol. I will talk later with a mechanic and show him this thread to see if he understands better than me about what parts are required, optional, recommended, etc.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Solidus
Registered Member

Alfredo you can simply swap the flanges and run the 3 point AT differential but when Coop did it he had some vibration probably due to alignment of the driveshaft at the flange union. He opted to change the rear half of his driveshaft to the MT and it was all good. Not necessary but the safest bet outside a custom carbon shaft. On a side note I spoke with Mark at PST today about making me a Carbon shaft. He told me he was using the same slip yoke on the MT and AT shafts as far as he knew. I'm going to pull all mine tomorrow to see the spline count for all interested.

Quick Reply: Anyone with 4.08 gears and 7AT?