Upgrade to akebono bbk and new wheels "worth" it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by anestheticG
Do you have an "X" model? What wheel did you get to clear the bbk? What was the approximate cost? Did you drop the vehicle?

This may be a dumb question but dropping the vehicle clearly reduces the ground clearance, right? Having an even lower vehicle with New England winters would probably not be ideal...
I'm going to continue to think about it but I figure that cost can be deferred for a down payment on something I want down the line (updated q60xs) or the q50 hybrid awd sport package (when they refine the hybrid tech/tranny fingers crossed)
Total for my BBK ended up at $1290
Got the calipers on the pc's 780
D&S rotors 300
SS lines n motul rbf600 bottles (3) for 160
Sanding n paint 50

I'm putting rims off for a bit to offset the cost n keep my wife from sh!tting a brick lol
Sorry I don't know the answer to your drop question yet. I'm saving that one for later too
Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Drilled rotors = downgrade

Solid or slotted rotors are going to provide more surface area for the pads to generate friction and more mass to dissipate heat.

You might be fine for a half dozen stops, but after that.....probably not
I like the D&S rotors for the look. Nothing cooler than a custom BBK with some pimp rotors. Mmm.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
You could also pick up a set of sport wheels. Duckfeet don't seem to be too expensive.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:04 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I lowered my x, put 19's and BBK on it among other oem visual mods. Luckily all these things are easily reversible and resealable. To me it was worth it to make my car look the way I want it to. I get compliments on it all the time and it stands out just enough from other G's in the area.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 PM
cplovero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AUR11
I lowered my x, put 19's and BBK on it among other oem visual mods. Luckily all these things are easily reversible and resealable. To me it was worth it to make my car look the way I want it to. I get compliments on it all the time and it stands out just enough from other G's in the area.
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement.

Think about it like this. I have two female friends. One friend is happy buying a quality $200 purse that works and is fashionable. The other friend buys a $2,000 that works just as well as the $200 purse but the looks/brand make it worth it for her.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
That's one of the reason I went w/ Wilwoods, wanted a nice looking BBK but something that sets my G apart a bit.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I added the BBK then later had a set painted and swapped,out rotors to the DBA 4000 slotted. Swapped out wheels to the G35 sport sedan wheels with spacers first then to the G35 forged Rays. Bought two sets and am running squared with summer tires on one set and a to be purchased set of winter tires. Just dropped it on Swifts and that's the only thing I'm on the fence about, I'm not certain I like the ride with the Swifts and may go coils.

Was it worth it? It makes me smile so, yes. Financially, most mods aren't worth it.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I added the BBK then later had a set painted and swapped,out rotors to the DBA 4000 slotted. Swapped out wheels to the G35 sport sedan wheels with spacers first then to the G35 forged Rays. Bought two sets and am running squared with summer tires on one set and a to be purchased set of winter tires. Just dropped it on Swifts and that's the only thing I'm on the fence about, I'm not certain I like the ride with the Swifts and may go coils.

Was it worth it? It makes me smile so, yes. Financially, most mods aren't worth it.
I'm with you on the Swifts. I'm waiting to hear more feedback on the FA 500 coilovers for the X. I think those maybe my next purchase.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
So I have a stock 2010 g37x with Nav, illuminated kick plates, and oem led DRLs. Just love the look of the bbk and hate that wheel gap with stock 17" wheels... Getting bbk installed + 19" or 20" wheels (love the look of vossens) to clear the bbk+ new tires, and getting calipers painted yellow (have a black car) would be in the ballpark of around 5k+?
Is it worth to spend so much money for something that's primarily cosmetic.... Better off keeping that money for down the line if the updated q60 strikes my fancy or for anything else infinti introduced in the next 3+ years?
Since you describe your G as a car with illuminated kick plates and LED DRL's (srsly? Who gives a flying fck?), then your assessment on whether or not it's "worth it" to get the BBK is based entirely on aesthetics... which is just as well, since the Akebono BBK is mostly just looks and bragging rights on a daily driver. If you want better braking on your DD, then buy better pads. If you want track-worthy braking, you should be setting your sights above and beyond Nissan's OEM BBK. But it sure doesn't read like these things matter to you.

Save your money. I suspect the new Q60 is going to be two doors of awesome.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 AM
anestheticG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Since you describe your G as a car with illuminated kick plates and LED DRL's (srsly? Who gives a flying fck?), then your assessment on whether or not it's "worth it" to get the BBK is based entirely on aesthetics... which is just as well, since the Akebono BBK is mostly just looks and bragging rights on a daily driver. If you want better braking on your DD, then buy better pads. If you want track-worthy braking, you should be setting your sights above and beyond Nissan's OEM BBK. But it sure doesn't read like these things matter to you.

True that sir... Looking forward to seeing the new q60... Wondering if they'll have any different power trains in the future.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
True that sir... Looking forward to seeing the new q60... Wondering if they'll have any different power trains in the future.
IDK. One would assume, because the VQ is a pretty old engine, VVEL and dual-intake design notwithstanding. It's noisy, clunky and gets crappy mileage... but we love that 300+ hp, that's for sure.

I was really excited about the new Q50, until it actually came out. At which point I was sadly unimpressed, like a lot of us here on the forum. However, for some reason I can't explain, I have high expectations out of the new Coupe.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
That's one of the reason I went w/ Wilwoods, wanted a nice looking BBK but something that sets my G apart a bit.

+1 for Wilwood brakes. These have been around for a long time and don't get that much as praise as they should. Wilwood > Brembos
Old 08-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Originally Posted by Rochester

He's right.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Drilled rotors = downgrade

Solid or slotted rotors are going to provide more surface area for the pads to generate friction and more mass to dissipate heat.

You might be fine for a half dozen stops, but after that.....probably not
I respectfully disagree. The problem I was having was not stopping power but overheating. Even after having the front brakes replaced with new dealer parts, they developed a pulsation after just 2 months just like the old ones had.

With the new drilled and slotted rotors I have put on all 4 corners, no such phenomenon has occurred.

I am seeing more and more front brake discs which come factory-drilled nowadays - especially on Benzes. I can't be the only dummy doing it. I didn't do it for looks like most of you guys do with your mods; I did it to solve a recurring problem I was having.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Yazovets
I respectfully disagree. The problem I was having was not stopping power but overheating. Even after having the front brakes replaced with new dealer parts, they developed a pulsation after just 2 months just like the old ones had.

With the new drilled and slotted rotors I have put on all 4 corners, no such phenomenon has occurred.

I am seeing more and more front brake discs which come factory-drilled nowadays - especially on Benzes. I can't be the only dummy doing it. I didn't do it for looks like most of you guys do with your mods; I did it to solve a recurring problem I was having.
So in order to solve your overheating problem, you took mass away from the rotor, who's secondary function is to dissipate heat?

What was really happening, was the crappy OE pads were leaving deposits on your rotors causing pulsations--what most people say are "warped rotors".

There are complaints all over the interwebs of cracked Benz rotors--and other brands--or crossdrilled rotors. Under heavy use, crossdrilled rotors are more likely to crack than slotted or blanks.