Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Well I feel I had a productive weekend, finally got around to installing my exhaust, intake, and midnight grille back on the car since I will indeed be keeping it. I cleaned my throttle bodies since I had everything apart and also painted my engine cover and put the strut bar back on. While I had the bumper off I went ahead an installed some 6k 80w Cree LED fogs that state they project an actual Lumen of 800 which seems about right as they are bright as hell during the day. I also went ahead and wired and installed a set of switchback LED turn signals which also offer a Lumen of 650 for White and 350 for Amber. I was looking for LED's that you can actually see during the day and I am very very pleased with the outcome. Some crappy pics below to attempt to show....

before intake and such went back in
Name:  20140714_171700_zpsxnqg8nve.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  82.7 KB

Dirty *** TB...sorry wasnt the best angle holding the TB and my phone at the same time
Name:  20140718_183650_zps9s8hah14.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  27.1 KB
Name:  20140718_181409_zps304skhmr.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  42.3 KB
Name:  20140718_181402_zpshh6kerl2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  46.4 KB

Please excuse the dirty car....shes going for a clay bar on sat now that everything is back on...and just for referrence I have 6k Philips installed for my headlights
Name:  20140722_120101_zpshhl16i7h.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  97.5 KB
Name:  20140722_120115_zpsj0t2uv1w.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  78.3 KB
Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
They certainly look good, but be aware of companies that give out rounded numbers for lumen output: LED Brightness - LED - Research

800 is very unlikely for a self-contained LED

Nick C.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
They certainly look good, but be aware of companies that give out rounded numbers for lumen output: LED Brightness - LED - Research

800 is very unlikely for a self-contained LED

Nick C.
I appreciate the info but to the naked eye...even if it is not at say 800 Lumen, my fogs are honeslty about as bright as my headlights. Its not too often that you see compainies or sellers display a Lumen output, yet I happned to run across a few who did....with Lumen levels all over the place. But IMO I feel I picked a good one at this time. Like I said before, I was going after some LED's that will not be dim during the day. Saftey first is a must with the family in the car.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Yeah exactly my point too... first I didn't really get a chance to drive it a little bit more aggressively because we were driving locally in my area where it was really congested at the time and the second is I wouldn't feel right driving aggressively in someone else's car but maybe just a little to get a hang of it...

Yeah we definitely should meet up... As far as I know he just moved locally in NJ recently couple weeks back so I'm pretty positive he hasn't moved out west YET. Haven't spoke to him in a while though , guy doesn't answer texts or anything
I'm still around...I responded to your texts. As for the setting of my sways, I'm on the stiffest in the front and the rears, which is a little different than John's settings. The roads around your town are pretty crappy to begin with so I don't think you'd notice the difference since we couldn't really get speed on curved roads.

Originally Posted by Rochester
You need to drive it more aggressively on turns and ramps in order to appreciate the improvement, and that's an awkward thing to do in someone else's car.

The 3 of us ought to get together before Kevin moves out west, if he hasn't already.
Probably will need to be soon as my visits to upstate NY are starting to dwindle.

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
No need to wait!

I'll be in Nashville sometime in August I think the week of the 18th maybe we could find a halfway point. Although that means I'll have to wash the car so maybe not... I'd actually like another owner to drive the car and give me some comparison feedback tho. I'll touch base and see what you're doing that weekend.
Chris and Keith, might be driving through Tennessee to California for my move out West. Will keep you posted since it's still TBD but the wife and I are looking to drive through Great Smokey Mountain National Park so might be able to see you guys during the road trip.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Choman
Chris and Kirk, might be driving through Tennessee to California for my move out West. Will keep you posted since it's still TBD but the wife and I are looking to drive through Great Smokey Mountain National Park so might be able to see you guys during the road trip.
^Fixed...

Yeah just let me know, I'm pretty flexible the next couple of months!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Probably will need to be soon as my visits to upstate NY are starting to dwindle.
Do you know when your next visit will be? Give me a date, and I'll try and schedule a meet-up for lunch, dinner, a few local wineries... whatever. Look at your calendar and let me know.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
I'm still around...I responded to your texts. As for the setting of my sways, I'm on the stiffest in the front and the rears, which is a little different than John's settings. The roads around your town are pretty crappy to begin with so I don't think you'd notice the difference since we couldn't really get speed on curved roads.
Yeah.. well that means we should definitely meet up soon again, been a while and go somewhere outback to some less congested area
Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah.. well that means we should definitely meet up soon again, been a while and go somewhere outback to some less congested area
New York Finger Lakes region. Wine country.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Mik3G37S

New York Finger Lakes region. Wine country.

suuure only a 5 hour drive for me lol

Anyway, been curious about this for a while.... Does anybody know how do these fog light high power cree LEDs from VLEDs perform http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/fog-l...1-5k-mtg2.html

Verus, let's say 5000k TRS Morimoto 3Five ?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.U9AaxvldWQQ

If the LEDs provide similar light output as the HIDs,I might be switching over to those LEDs, as I've been getting annoyed with HIDs because as we all know, sometimes one of them doesn't turn on , they may flicker, bla bla bla... that being said, I hope someone can chime in about that new technology high output fog light LEDs

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 07-23-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

suuure only a 5 hour drive for me lol
Cool. When do you guys want to meet up then? I'd be happy to drive down to Ithica.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Mik3G37S

Cool. When do you guys want to meet up then? I'd be happy to drive down to Ithica.

I guess you didn't sense the sarcasm John I got no clue , I'm quite busy these days especially next few weekends so that is out of the equation for me at least. come up with something and we will see
Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Nope. Not for 3 northeast winters. It really only gets sub-zero a few times a year around here.

I probably won't be doing this with the G, however. Two TB's and lots of HP already, the mod doesn't really appeal to me (yet).
I like the emphasis on yet. I get why it's there. I like the idea of the mod, especially with the southern heat. I'd rather set it up with a bypass valve for summer that can have the flow direction flipped back to stock for winter.

I'm in the same boat though...it hasn't quite pushed me over the edge to put on my mod shortlist.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:14 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
It looks like Saturday will be the day that my Fast Intentions exhaust and RHFC's get installed. In attempting to keep in the tradition of staged mods, I took a crack at installing the CBE to no avail. Even with 15-hours of soak with PB Blast, those bolts refused to turn. However, I was limited to driving up on ramps with no impact wrench.

I took the rear mufflers off first and then found out the bolts on the cats and y-pipe were just not going to budge. Being lazy, I left the stock mufflers off and have been driving around with what's essentially dumps after the rear axle (same as Screwston's muffler delete- literally).

It sounds nice and deep but I'm looking forward to getting the FI setup installed.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
It looks like Saturday will be the day that my Fast Intentions exhaust and RHFC's get installed. In attempting to keep in the tradition of staged mods, I took a crack at installing the CBE to no avail. Even with 15-hours of soak with PB Blast, those bolts refused to turn. However, I was limited to driving up on ramps with no impact wrench.

I took the rear mufflers off first and then found out the bolts on the cats and y-pipe were just not going to budge.
Those bolts were on ridiculously tight on mine too.

6 point wrench + floor jack took care of I think 3 of 4, the other I used a dead blow hammer on.
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Chat Thread-exhaustbolt.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I helped a friend take apart a CBE off of a G35. It was already off the car but still in one piece. We sprayed WD-40 on the bolts and let them sit for a little bit. After a while they slowly started coming off. After the first one he said he was just going to get a new set of bolts and gaskets anyway so I gave him one breaker bar and I took the other and we both started tightening them to break them off. All of the broke off clean and was much easier than trying to back them off. Especially since you basically had to create new threads since they were rusted over pretty badly.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread