G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I feel your pain, I recently installed my HFC and that was a bitch, I can't imagine trying to do that without an impact wrench.

It is probably better to go get it installed, as it has been thoroughly documented that those header to at bolts are, well...not fun to put it lightly.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:59 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Does anybody have a link to DIY shock absorber removal/ installation? +How difficult is it?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
suuure only a 5 hour drive for me lol
Heh, you must drive like a granny. Google the drive should only take you 4 hours tops if that...

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I guess you didn't sense the sarcasm John I got no clue , I'm quite busy these days especially next few weekends so that is out of the equation for me at least. come up with something and we will see
John and Mike, I can do Aug. 9th. That is my last weekend there in Ithaca. Ha - Ithica...

Originally Posted by '11G37S
^Fixed...

Yeah just let me know, I'm pretty flexible the next couple of months!
Sorry about that Kirk, I kept thinking your name and somehow wrote Keith.

Originally Posted by '11G37S
I helped a friend take apart a CBE off of a G35. It was already off the car but still in one piece. We sprayed WD-40 on the bolts and let them sit for a little bit. After a while they slowly started coming off. After the first one he said he was just going to get a new set of bolts and gaskets anyway so I gave him one breaker bar and I took the other and we both started tightening them to break them off. All of the broke off clean and was much easier than trying to back them off. Especially since you basically had to create new threads since they were rusted over pretty badly.
I hear Coke can do wonders with rust too...
Old 07-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Choman
John and Mike, I can do Aug. 9th. That is my last weekend there in Ithaca. Ha - Ithica...
Checking with the wife's schedule now. Will get back to you later today.

No, wait. That's my wedding anniversary! Geeeeeesus, I almost wrote her account asking if we had anything going on that day.

So, she might be coming with me. Dinner at Belhust Castle, maybe.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Heh, you must drive like a granny. Google the drive should only take you 4 hours tops if that...

Not really.. just looked it up on google maps that is all... well.. you guys might as well just bring some late birthday gifts car related of course ...as it's only weekend prior to Aug 9th haha I'll have to see, what I'm gonna have planned for that weekend. We'll be in touch Kevin.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Sorry about that Kirk, I kept thinking your name and somehow wrote Keith.
No worries. I have friends that I've known for years that'll accidentally call me Keith or Kevin sometimes. Lol
Old 07-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I'm really torn on what to do next on my car. Suspension mods or wheels.

Suspension: I'd like to go with Koni shocks and springs (Swift or Ebiach). This should result in a mild drop in the front since the Konis reportedly raise the front by 3/4"

Coupe Wheels: I want to keep in a budget, and I like the way coupe wheels look on the sedan. In 20+ years of modding cars, I've never replaced wheels. It's so hard finding something that looks good and fits right. Rochester knows what I mean

So lets say you are going to do one of the two mods and live with it for at least 2 years. What would make the car handle better--that is really what I'm looking for.

I'm going to need tires in a couple months, so now is the time to get wheels if that's what I'm going to do.

Koni Yellows + Springs + PSS on my duck feet

Stock suspension + 19" coupe wheels + 245/40 and 275/35 PSS

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm really torn on what to do next on my car. Suspension mods or wheels.

Suspension: I'd like to go with Koni shocks and springs (Swift or Ebiach). This should result in a mild drop in the front since the Konis reportedly raise the front by 3/4"

Coupe Wheels: I want to keep in a budget, and I like the way coupe wheels look on the sedan. In 20+ years of modding cars, I've never replaced wheels. It's so hard finding something that looks good and fits right. Rochester knows what I mean

So lets say you are going to do one of the two mods and live with it for at least 2 years. What would make the car handle better--that is really what I'm looking for.

I'm going to need tires in a couple months, so now is the time to get wheels if that's what I'm going to do.

Koni Yellows + Springs + PSS on my duck feet

Thoughts?
Might sound like a stupid question but if your planning on having the car at least another 2 years then why not do both? If I had to pick one or the other id pick the rims since you already have sways. The PSS + sways will ultimately determine your handling more over a mild drop imo. But that's just my 0.02
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Might sound like a stupid question but if your planning on having the car at least another 2 years then why not do both? If I had to pick one or the other id pick the rims since you already have sways. The PSS + sways will ultimately determine your handling more over a mild drop imo. But that's just my 0.02

I don't want to put that much money into it right now. It wasn't clear, but I meant that whatever I did would have to hold me over for 2 years before I did the other mod.

Wheels are probably the way to go, since my OE suspension only has 20K on it. The mild drop would just be a bonus, the real handling improvement would be the adjustable shocks.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

In 20+ years of modding cars, I've never replaced wheels. It's so hard finding something that looks good and fits right. Rochester knows what I mean
grok

Thoughts?
In my opinion, PSS grade tires and swaybars already provide the lion's share of handling upgrade capability to these cars. The suspension on the 6MT is a noticeable improvement over the non-Sport, and yours is only two years old. So replacing the struts and springs for aftermarket struts and springs would be a minimal improvement at best, even if you get struts with adjustable damping. I can't speak to personal experience on the G, but I suspect the only significant handling upgrade you could do with your setup involves coil-overs. Beyond that, you'll be wanting another car. While the G is a great platform, it's not a sports car.

IMO. IMO. IMO.

The additional benefit of CO's is that you can dial in exactly the drop you want. I'm on a 2-3 year plan with these swift springs and OEM struts, after which I'll probably replace it all for coil-overs. Like you, I always want the car to handle better, because fun. And while it turns out the drop is appealing (and necessary with these VOSSENS), the rear is like 3/8" too low for my tastes.

As for wheels... it was a big deal for me, and now that I'm settling into the setup, I'm very happy. Sport Coupe 19's are a proven winner, but they're also common, and not just here online, but in the real world, too. My advice is to find something that could be seen as OEM at first glance, but with details that you can appreciate personally.

Here's a picture, just to mess with your head.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-27-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
grok

In my opinion, PSS grade tires and swaybars already provide the lion's share of handling upgrade capability to these cars. The suspension on the 6MT is a noticeable improvement over the non-Sport, and yours is only two years old. So replacing the struts and springs for aftermarket struts and springs would be a minimal improvement at best, even if you get struts with adjustable damping. I can't speak to personal experience on the G, but I suspect the only significant handling upgrade you could do with your setup involves coil-overs. Beyond that, you'll be wanting another car. While the G is a great platform, it's not a sports car.

IMO. IMO. IMO.

The additional benefit of CO's is that you can dial in exactly the drop you want. I'm on a 2-3 year plan with these swift springs and OEM struts, after which I'll probably replace it all for coil-overs. Like you, I always want the car to handle better, because fun. And while it turns out the drop is appealing (and necessary with these VOSSENS), the rear is like 3/8" too low for my tastes.

As for wheels... it was a big deal for me, and now that I'm settling into the setup, I'm very happy. Sport Coupe 19's are a proven winner, but they're also common, and not just here online, but in the real world, too. My advice is to find something that could be seen as OEM at first glance, but with details that you can appreciate personally.

Here's a picture, just to mess with your head.
All good points. I just get overwhelmed with all the choices in wheels and offsets and colors and what would look good. Coupe wheels are the easy way out

Maybe I should just go with PSS on my duck feet......
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Maybe I should just go with PSS on my duck feet......
Dropped on Swifts, with wheel spacers for the duckfeet... that will probably give you the lest expensive route to being content in both objectives. Not ecstatic, per se, just more content than otherwise.

18" staggered PSS would still be $1100, give or take. Springs, spacers, installation costs... If you add up all the incidentals, tax, mounting, etc. you would still be in the $2000 ballpark.

Not exactly chump change for a guy on a family budget.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Dropped on Swifts, with wheel spacers for the duckfeet... that will probably give you the lest expensive route to being content in both objectives. Not ecstatic, per se, just more content than otherwise.

18" staggered PSS would still be $1100, give or take. Springs, spacers, installation costs... If you add up all the incidentals, tax, mounting, etc. you would still be in the $2000 ballpark.

Not exactly chump change for a guy on a family budget.
I wouldn't drop the car unless I was swapping out the shocks too since I would DIY it. Shocks and springs are enough of a PIA that I only want to do it once.

I'd like to keep the wheels (not including tires) in the $1200 range. A couple years from now I could do the suspension when mine is more worn. That would seem to make the most sense.

I'm of the belief that I need the rear offset to be in the +40 to +45 range, or the wheels are going to poke out, and I'll need to drop the car to tuck them in.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
I thought I'd post the long overdue link to my Fast Intentions exhaust review with video added here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ml#post3805666

Comment away
Old 07-28-2014, 06:20 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
I wouldn't drop the car unless I was swapping out the shocks too since I would DIY it. Shocks and springs are enough of a PIA that I only want to do it once.

I'd like to keep the wheels (not including tires) in the $1200 range. A couple years from now I could do the suspension when mine is more worn. That would seem to make the most sense.

I'm of the belief that I need the rear offset to be in the +40 to +45 range, or the wheels are going to poke out, and I'll need to drop the car to tuck them in.
I agree that shocks and springs are a PITA. My stock struts wore to the point that I wasn't happy with the ride so I swapped for Koni Yellows and stiffened them up a bit while maintaining my stock sport springs. I'm pretty happy with that setup and I've been toying with putting some Swifts on there but it will depend on what I do with my wheels.

There are a lot of nice sets of wheels in the $1200 range. You might check out TSW's offerings.

Lego, if you're going without a drop, you will want to be in the +45 range for the rear wheels, assuming you're going to go 19x9.5. With no drop, they are pretty flush with the fenders.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread