Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black grille for sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I'm thinking about paint the sides of the grille border black, so only the very top and bottom edges are chrome (similar to coupe sport grille).

Anyone else try or see this??
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 AM
nyczmadman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmsam
I do care about quality and am entirely satisfied with the results. A professional job might look a little better, but it would not, could not, be a night and day difference.

Thanks! It is a night and day difference.

No one should be discouraged from trying any of the methods discussed in this and other threads. There is virtually no cost or skill barrier to entry, and if it turns out poorly, then just strip it and try again or spend a few hundred bucks for a professional job.
well of course ur gonna say that there isnt much of a difference cuz u dipped ur grill. but if u actually compared a painted grill that was painted using the proper methods/equipment to a dipped grill there will be a huge difference! but then again its ur car and u do wat u want to it.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I considered just about everything for the longest time with regard to the front grille... vinyl wrap, plastidip, rattle-can, body-shop, etc. Finally left the grille at a local paint shop for a week, and they did a custom job. Body color on the perimeter, gloss black metallic on the slats, clear-coated. For me, it was totally worth the cost and effort.

That's my recommendation.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:29 PM
bjmsam
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nyczmadman
well of course ur gonna say that there isnt much of a difference cuz u dipped ur grill.
sry, I dont follow ur logic

if u actually compared a painted grill that was painted using the proper methods/equipment to a dipped grill there will be a huge difference!
Rattle cans have improved to the extent that, for a properly prepared surface, the difference is now less than huge. I own a nice spray gun, water separator, compressor, etc. that these days are rarely worth the trouble for such small projects. Again, those not entirely satisfied with how their attempt turned out can simply re-strip the grille and take it to a pro without forfeiting more than pocket change and an hour or two. YMMV, but considering the competence exhibited by board members who have accepted far more risk to undertake far more challenging projects and achieved stellar results, it seems reasonable to encourage rather than discourage this one.

then again its ur car and u do wat u want to it.
thx, u2
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
well of course ur gonna say that there isnt much of a difference cuz u dipped ur grill. but if u actually compared a painted grill that was painted using the proper methods/equipment to a dipped grill there will be a huge difference! but then again its ur car and u do wat u want to it.
His grill wasn't dipped~ it was cleaned, sanded, primed, base coat, and clearcoated. A much better job than a dipped grill, up close it's probably not as perfect as a pro paint job, but it sure looks good from the pics.