Go Back   MyG37 > G-Spot > G37 Sedan
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to myG37 forums!
Welcome to myG37 Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join myG37 Forums today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
forrmark
Registered User

 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 111
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Infiniti battery problem

I was away for 4 months and used a trickle charger to keep my G37's battery from discharging. It didn't work, although it has worked just fine on all my other cars in the past. I called Infiniti road service and the serviceman informed me that because of all the electronics that drain the battery, trickle chargers don't work on Infinitis. He also said that Infiniti batteries are not very good. He did start it up and it is now starting after letting it run for awhile. In the future, should I disconnect the battery completely? Do I connect the positive and negative clips directly to the battery? With the trickle charger you are supposed to connect the red clip (positive) to the positive post of the battery and the black clip to the engine block or other ground. Please advise.

'11 g37 premium sedan/nav and most other options
forrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Black Betty
Sam and BB ride again!

 
Black Betty's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (54)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 18,306
Thanked 935 Times in 579 Posts
Completely disconnect the battery and remove it. Then put the trickle charger on the battery.

Yes, red is + and black is -.
Black Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
aj37x
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allen Ray Mathews Jr. ajaxnf
I'm in the navy's ballistic submarine fleet, so I'm gone for 2.5-3 months at a time. Since my wife can't drive she usually starts the car up with the garage door open and runs it for 15 min at least once a week to keep everything running smooth for when I get home
aj37x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
MACS
Registered User

 
MACS's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal (Shawn)
Posts: 1,272
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Bad batteries, eh? I had an '04 G35 that went 6 years and 80k miles with the factory battery.

When I deployed to Iraq in '06, it essentially sat for 6 months and started right up. *shrug*
__________________
2014 Tacoma Dbl Cab, V6, 4x4, TRD Sport... loaded.
MACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
forrmark
Registered User

 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 111
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post
Completely disconnect the battery and remove it. Then put the trickle charger on the battery.

Yes, red is + and black is -.
Thanks, black Betty. I will do that the next time I will be away for a while.
forrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
forrmark
Registered User

 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 111
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACS View Post
Bad batteries, eh? I had an '04 G35 that went 6 years and 80k miles with the factory battery.

When I deployed to Iraq in '06, it essentially sat for 6 months and started right up. *shrug*
The serviceman from Infiniti road service said that Infiniti batteries weren't
good, not me.
forrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
blazeplacid
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 477
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACS View Post
Bad batteries, eh? I had an '04 G35 that went 6 years and 80k miles with the factory battery.

When I deployed to Iraq in '06, it essentially sat for 6 months and started right up. *shrug*
Same experiance here

I had an 04 G35 and the battery was great even with 2 amps!

The battery quit in 2009
blazeplacid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
handleandrew
Registered User

 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoFL
Posts: 70
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
not sure if its applicable for the 2011s but in my 08 i would get a dead battery after about 4 months even when driving. i did a bunch of research on here and found out that there is a vent control valve (reference no. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]itb[/COLOR][/COLOR]-10-010b) that replaces the original valve due to a drain on the battery. brought it to the dealer, they did the repair and put in a M45 battery with 700CCA. its been over a year and i have had no problem. maybe this is something to look into for the 2011s
__________________
08,S 6MT/magnaflow catback/injen short ram/stillen oil cooler/8500 x50/10" type s
handleandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Sarcastik
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oakland, Ca
Posts: 136
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by handleandrew View Post
not sure if its applicable for the 2011s but in my 08 i would get a dead battery after about 4 months even when driving. i did a bunch of research on here and found out that there is a vent control valve (reference no. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]itb[/COLOR][/COLOR]-10-010b) that replaces the original valve due to a drain on the battery. brought it to the dealer, they did the repair and put in a M45 battery with 700CCA. its been over a year and i have had no problem. maybe this is something to look into for the 2011s
Fuggg....how am I just finding out about this now. I have a '09 G and my wife has an '08 and since 08 her car is now on its 3rd battery. They work fine for a while and then they just die. The last one lasted less than a year and it never really starts strong. This is definitely the issue, but I doubt they will fix it since its out of warranty.
Sarcastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
forrmark
Registered User

 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 111
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Infiniti battery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by handleandrew View Post
not sure if its applicable for the 2011s but in my 08 i would get a dead battery after about 4 months even when driving. i did a bunch of research on here and found out that there is a vent control valve (reference no. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]itb[/COLOR][/COLOR]-10-010b) that replaces the original valve due to a drain on the battery. brought it to the dealer, they did the repair and put in a M45 battery with 700CCA. its been over a year and i have had no problem. maybe this is something to look into for the 2011s
Is this applicable to the 2011's? Does anyone know?
forrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
mishmosh
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 119
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because my car is often a weekend car, I used to get no power after 5 days or so. I ended up with the Battery Tender Jr. Comes with a little pigtail connector that you can access from the windshield wiper area. No problems with it although I haven't left the car for a really long time. I know older G35s had a TSB identifying BCM and Evap solenoid issues that caused the drain of the battery. I actually replaced the Evap solenoid with the newer part listed in the TSB. No issues but I still use the Battery Tender.
mishmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Iilac
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 103
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone have the link to the tsb? The battery in my 07 G goes dead in a week if I do not drive. This is definitely not normal
Iilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
mishmosh
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 119
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look up:
ITB10-010b 2008-2009 INFINITI G37 COUPE; BATTERY LOW VOLTAGE / NO START

There is also another tsb dealing with the same EVAP canister vent control valve. I replaced the vent control valve on my 2007 with the new style and haven't had a dead battery even when I forget to use the battery tender. I would highly recommend this for sedans if you have dead battery issues. I have no idea why there is a tsb for the coupe but not for the sedan. I brought my car the very first winter to complain about this problem. The dealer said the power draw was normal but replaced the battery since repeated full drains really damages these batteries. Didn't help. After that, they just ignored my insistence that something is not right and all they recommended was to disconnect the battery when not in use. Crazy!!!
mishmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
Iilac
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 103
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post
Look up:
ITB10-010b 2008-2009 INFINITI G37 COUPE; BATTERY LOW VOLTAGE / NO START

There is also another tsb dealing with the same EVAP canister vent control valve. I replaced the vent control valve on my 2007 with the new style and haven't had a dead battery even when I forget to use the battery tender. I would highly recommend this for sedans if you have dead battery issues. I have no idea why there is a tsb for the coupe but not for the sedan. I brought my car the very first winter to complain about this problem. The dealer said the power draw was normal but replaced the battery since repeated full drains really damages these batteries. Didn't help. After that, they just ignored my insistence that something is not right and all they recommended was to disconnect the battery when not in use. Crazy!!!


Thanks Mishmosh

Was the vent control hard to replace?
Iilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
mishmosh
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 119
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iilac View Post
Thanks Mishmosh

Was the vent control hard to replace?
Pretty easy. Put rear up in jack stands. I think a couple of bolts on the underside of the rear diffuser, maybe a clip or two. I think the valve just twists into the evap canister. Pay attention to how you found it (orientation wise) and how you twist it to unlock it.
mishmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
MyG37
Infiniti G37




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Copyright 2002 - 2009, MYG37.COM All Rights Reserved.



Contacts Backup