Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Installed LED Fog lights/DRLs in bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Looks good, however, seems a little too blue for me though. If it had a lower kelvin to match the headlights, that would be perfect.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Clean! But like what others have said, it's too blue.

I have a similar project in mind for my coupe. I'm also planning on having an independent on and off switch for the fog lights. If you ever figure the wiring and switch out, could you please share the knowledge?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
Looks damn nice, good work.
Thanks for the compliments!
Originally Posted by sniper27
Looks good, however, seems a little too blue for me though. If it had a lower kelvin to match the headlights, that would be perfect.
I'm not going to be using these w/ the headlights on too often, the 6000k color temp looks just about perfect for DRLs IMO, but the difference in color temps between the LEDs and Xenons is apparent.
Originally Posted by myk1013
Clean! But like what others have said, it's too blue.

I have a similar project in mind for my coupe. I'm also planning on having an independent on and off switch for the fog lights. If you ever figure the wiring and switch out, could you please share the knowledge?
My DIY thread is up now in the DIY section, and if you're just using them for DRLs I think you'd be happy w/ the bluish tint, but 6000k isn't a great temp for fogs
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...in-bumper.html
Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Good pictures, Newt.

These fogs look really good when off, and also quite good when on during daylight as DRL's, so very white that there's a strong blue tinge, but not so bad. At nighttime, however, they go over the fence into full-on BLUE.

So let's see:
  • Totally unique.
  • Perfect fitment and placement, with more than a little DIY pride.
  • Excellent addition to the overall visuals in the front-end design, particularly with your other mods.
  • Bright as hell (or so it seems).
  • And... blue.

I don't know what to recommend, or if recommendation is warranted. However, here's an idea: install blue(ish) LED's in your parking lights, so that you can match. Right now you've got amber incandescent parking lights, leading to white HID low-beams, leading to blue fogs. In other words, you've got yourself a xmas tree.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Actually, I do have a suggestion. Swap out the LED's inside those fogs with yellow or amber emitters. But I highly doubt that's a plug-n-play solution. That kind of task probably requires some skills with electronic components and soldering. I've a Canadian friend who does that kind of stuff all the time. (edit: I just PM'd him to see if he can chime in.)

I don't think you'll want to tint the fog lens. In addition to reducing the light, you'll be changing the color on how everything looks when off. And quite frankly, this daytime look right here is fantastic. You've really modded the design of your front end in subtle ways that totally work.

At least in this picture here, they do. Love this picture.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-25-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
^

or, maybe he can change his main headlight bulbs into a higher K. 8K maybe?? at least the output will be close to the foglights' color.

OP. Muchos thanks for the DIY! I gotta start my project soon.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM
TunerMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow nice work newt! I love it. And thanks Rochester for putting me through to this thread.

I do have some questions/observations to throw out:

1. How are these mounted exactly, I panned through the DIY, but frankly it's way too wordy and I probably missed this part. My main concern in this regard is just allignment, and rigidity (shaking over bumps, etc). I love how you did it otherwise using the Plumbing coupler, etc, smart thinking.

2. They look amazing as they sit from the pictures you've shown. IMO, Don't change anything. No tinting especially. I see the want to tint, and it will look good with the lights off, but once they turn on it will look aweful. Blue through tinted lens looks chinsy and ricey, IMO.

3. From my experience, and judging purely from pictures that COULD be over-exposed, those are not 6000k LED's.
It's normal practise for retailers to market LED lights like this at 6000k, when in actuality theyr'e about 7500-10000k. From the pictures I'd say they're 8000k.

4. Can you post some pictures of close up, mounting edges, etc? They look great from straight on but I have to question the view from the side, fitment, etc. This would also help those trying to clone your DIY

All in all this is wicked, I love the placement and the concept, ingenuity, and patience.
Very nice work man!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TunerMax
Wow nice work newt! I love it. And thanks Rochester for putting me through to this thread.
^^^
This guy right here, Newt... a wiz with car lighting. He taught me everything I know about exterior illumination.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:05 PM
TunerMax

Riiiight. You've come up with your own little ideas and ways to go about them. Sometimes we jsut need 'test dummies' Happy to be that guy.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:12 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by Rochester
Actually, I do have a suggestion. Swap out the LED's inside those fogs with yellow or amber emitters. But I highly doubt that's a plug-n-play solution. That kind of task probably requires some skills with electronic components and soldering. I've a Canadian friend who does that kind of stuff all the time. (edit: I just PM'd him to see if he can chime in.)
I've worked with similar setups and changing the LED's isn't really viable on those setups. They're actually sealed super tight with a fairly thick coating once the circuitry is done, and as such, are next to impossible to tamper with. If it was just a blank circuit board it'd be a cake walk.

To top that off, Amber/Orange LED's are pretty near impossible to find. You can find Yellow simple enough, but good Amber/Orange is tough.

The LED Circuitboard/Reflector that you have there Newt, are actually all the same, they use the same one for all of the LED fog lamps they make, just different housings/mounts. "Spyder" is the manufacture of these housings.
If you can find out what size that Circuit board is, you could purchase one in whatever colour you want and swap them out. Not a super simple job, but certainly possible. At the least, it's always nice to know that option is there.
If you can, rough-measure the Reflector Diameter, I'd wager to say it's around 4", the standard for these types of LED lights. If this is true, then the options are decent for styles and colours, because the Heavy-Haul Trucking industry has these in surplus.

Here's a 4" circuit board and reflector I took from a Tractor--Trailer 4" signal lamp and put in my maxima signal light, then installed a cut-to size Lens over it:

Name:  100_4096.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  101.2 KB
Name:  100_4389.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  85.0 KB

Doing it would reduce light actually put on the roadway, but really, that's not what this is about, is it? If you wanted lighting put on the road you'd spend the money and get Projector Fog lights. This is a cosmetic/DRL thing, and I love that, because if the mounting isn't perfect you're not going to blind oncoming traffic
Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks for the kind words & tips/suggestions. If I can edit the thread title I'd just change it to "Installed DRLs in the bumper". Using these exclusively as DRLs the bluish tint enhances the look IMO, but when combined w/ the headlights illuminated the contrast in light coloration causes the overall look to be less unified. I don't plan on using these in unison w/ the headlights unless I run into some fog and even so the 6000k (or possibly higher) won't be too effective I'm guessing.
I believe I have some closer shots in the G35driver thread~
Installed LED Fog lights/DRLs in bumper - G35Driver
The fitment is still nice & snug but I think I'd recommend a silicone bead between the back of the mesh & the light housing for added security. My wife drove the car around while I was watching on some bumpy asphalt and they're very solid.
Sorry for the "wordy" DIY, that's how I roll, lol
Old 08-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

OK then, how about simply replacing the parking lights with LED's that match the color of these fogs? Tuner could probably sell you a pair of those.

And if you're truly using these now as DRL's, then you'd have to admit they're a little bright for that purpose. So-o-o... what about putting a light smoke tint over the lenses? In addition to making them more appropriate as DRL's, when unlit they would blend in better with your smoked headlight lenses.

Here's an example of what it would look like smoked:

Last edited by Rochester; 08-25-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

That could be a viable option down the road, although that model may create some problems with the Mrs So far I'm liking them just fine as is but w/ my dark theme that smoke tint would really go well w/ the headlights. Thanks for the photoshop.

Also, thanks TunerMax for your expert insight, very cool to have a light guru adding their expertise!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Model? LOL

Old 08-27-2012, 01:04 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

OK John, upon closer inspection it now appears we're even for me jackin' your foglight thread~peace

Quick Reply: Installed LED Fog lights/DRLs in bumper