ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Poll: Is the UPREV Tune worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by bat6wc
Exactly. My tune provided less than 15whp, but it completely changed the car. Throttle is instant like you said and the mid range is so smooth and powerful I surprise myself sometimes on the highway.
If anything answered the original question with a convincing thumbs up, this is an encouraging comment right here.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:25 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I've been following that thread for a LONG time. I haven't tried anything tho as I do not have a tuner license. Sending that to your tuner my make things a little uneasy. Some of them think they know everything. I would think about getting the tuner license and doing it yourself ?
Old 10-31-2014, 03:01 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Fixed the throttle. Just a copy paste from the link I posted earlier. Car feels more torquier. I only tested 1st and 2nd though. Will update on drive back home if traffic and weather allows me to test it out some more.

Edit: Still very driveable, not jerky. Better response and more usable torque. Still have to test it a bit more in an open road.

Last edited by alfredo24pr; 10-31-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:34 PM
GS_G37S
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bat6wc
Exactly. My tune provided less than 15whp, but it completely changed the car. Throttle is instant like you said and the mid range is so smooth and powerful I surprise myself sometimes on the highway.
Yep, this sums it up. I had a friend tune mine, and without any breather mods (still waiting for my FI exhaust - 13 weeks and counting) the car is completely different. Most noticeably in 3rd-4th in the 4200/4400+ rpm range.

Looking forward to throwing the Gen3's and the FI exhaust and retuning it!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GS_G37S
Yep, this sums it up. I had a friend tune mine, and without any breather mods (still waiting for my FI exhaust - 13 weeks and counting) the car is completely different. Most noticeably in 3rd-4th in the 4200/4400+ rpm range.

Looking forward to throwing the Gen3's and the FI exhaust and retuning it!
Are you planning to run stock CATs after your FI exhaust and Gen 3 upgrades?
Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 PM
GS_G37S
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Choman
Are you planning to run stock CATs after your FI exhaust and Gen 3 upgrades?
Yeah, for now. Maybe that'll be round two of upgrades sometime next summer. Are you on stock cats?
Old 11-06-2014, 12:47 AM
mobe
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
so i was planning to tune my car soon. as of today i have 118,060 mils on my 2009 G sedan. I noticed that the car doesnt run as it used which is understandable. My current set up is:

Invidia CatBack
Invidia HFC
K&N short CAI
cranck pully

I'm not looking for big gains, but more of a smoother ride and better response when i hit the accelerator... question is, do i take out the k&n CAI and put the stock ones back? would a tune make a difference at this point of miles???
Old 11-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Solidus
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mobe
so i was planning to tune my car soon. as of today i have 118,060 mils on my 2009 G sedan. I noticed that the car doesnt run as it used which is understandable. My current set up is:

Invidia CatBack
Invidia HFC
K&N short CAI
cranck pully

I'm not looking for big gains, but more of a smoother ride and better response when i hit the accelerator... question is, do i take out the k&n CAI and put the stock ones back? would a tune make a difference at this point of miles???

If you have all those mods your car is without a doubt running lean afr's. You would notice a really nice change with an increase in, line pressure , addition of fuel and increasing throttle sensitivity. And all these can be done by simply e-tunes and no dyno needed. With your location what I'd do is either buy Uprev with the cable and have the seller tune me in to acceptable performance parameters OR.....I'd purchase Uprev with the cable and also get the tuner license ( Which is what I have ) This will make it so that when you do get your base tune and it's tuned as well as an e-tune can , you turn around and take it to a dyno for final tweaking. With the tuner license anyone with a basic knowledge of tuning can make adjustments and also the car can be tuned by a tuner on the road in real time. It also allows you to monitor your engine in real time, turn off codes , read codes and perform fuel resets and all manner of interesting things.
Here's a screenshot of the parameters I use in one of my log files for a 0-60mph run earlier this week.
Attached Thumbnails Poll: Is the UPREV Tune worth it?-log-screenshot.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
mobe (11-09-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GS_G37S
Yeah, for now. Maybe that'll be round two of upgrades sometime next summer. Are you on stock cats?
Nope. I have FI resonated HFCs. Just figuring out what to do about smog since I moved to California recently...
Old 11-06-2014, 03:20 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Realistically, the best mod is to just get gears. That will give the most noticeable increase in performance for about the same cost as a tune and dyno time. Funny that no one has really mentioned ecutek, they actually have full timing control where the car will always run the timing that has been set by your tuner. This will in turn cause the car to run more consistently. I have had it on my car for about a year now and have no complaints. Takeda Cai, ark exhaust, 3.90 gears and ecutek tune has completely transformed the car.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Well you have to remember gears aren't an option for everyone X guys can do gears, So UPREV is the choice for a tune. ecutek I was and still am not sold on :/