Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Problems with the G37? What are they?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:45 PM
ddigangi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with the G37? What are they?

Still new around the forum but I am getting rid of my BMW 3-series for something else this year. The G37S is really at the top of my list at this point over other cars in my list.

I have been reading around the forum and I hear of some problems people have had with the car. What are these problems? Are they based on the year of the G?

Are we talking about serious stuff? Steering? Clutch? I put a lot of emphasis on buying a car being such an enthusiast and that it is such a big investment. Help por favor!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
7at or 6mt? what year? your seat might bubble and call-waiting might be iffy. you don't have to worry about HFFPs however.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:33 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always tell people that you make 2 major purchases in your life. You buy a house and you buy a car. Do all the research you can before you make either choices. This site has plenty of resources to find out more information, just look around and ask questions. With anything you are going to buy whether it is an Infiniti, an Audi, a Lexus or another BMW, you are going to find some traits that you like and some traits that you do not like. Just have to weigh in on what matters the most. The G did that for me, did it so much as to now I am selling them.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Breitling65

I found quiet lot of people complaining about water leaks driving in rain from driver or passanger windows. Happened to me too, dealer adjustments helped.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:12 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly, i haven't had a single problem with my G. I think that comes from a good mix of meticulously caring for the car (to the point of OCD) and a little luck. But in the end it's an amazing car and I love every second I'm driving
Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very few negative things to comment on and I have an 2009. The only issue I had fixed under warranty was the seat bubble which is a very minor issue. The 2008's have had a few issues but nothing I would consider serious and they are resolved through TSB's anyway. Chances are if you are getting a used 2008, the issues are resolved anyway.

The G's along with the rest of the Infiniti lineup are great cars, especially when you consider what you get for your money.

Buy one and enjoy it!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BHB 91
Very few negative things to comment on and I have an 2009. The only issue I had fixed under warranty was the seat bubble which is a very minor issue. The 2008's have had a few issues but nothing I would consider serious and they are resolved through TSB's anyway. Chances are if you are getting a used 2008, the issues are resolved anyway.

The G's along with the rest of the Infiniti lineup are great cars, especially when you consider what you get for your money.

Buy one and enjoy it!
I agree. I have an 08 that I bought used and have had no issues to date. I was originally shopping for a 370z but decided I would get more drive time if I had a back seat to haul my 4 1/2 & 6 yr old around in. I have no regrets in my choice.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:10 PM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The G37S is a great car. No cars are without issues, but here are some common ones:
- 08-09 steering wheel trim peels. Fixed for 2010+
- Dashboard lid above gauge cluster lifts\peels. No real fix except replacement under warranty
- Windshield plastic cowling rattles/squeaks. Need to apply felt tape or lubricant to the underside of the cowl
- 08 muffler rattle. Need a new muffler under warranty
- 08-10 are starting to see some oil consumption. There is a TSB out for this
- Some G's have paint peeling issues around the headlight/bumper/front fender joint. Overall paint quality seems to be a notch under Germans but the scratch shield seems to be good for minor swirling
- I have the 7AT so I can't really comment on the 6MT but I have read that the clutch chatter is normal

That's all I can think of right now. Overall it's a good car for the money. Try to find a good dealer. A competent dealer should be able to resolve all of the above. There is tons of useful info on this forum
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 PM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have 2009 G37S Coupe. I never even had small issues and problems with my G.
I consider myself pretty lucky.
The most common issues, people out there is bubbled seat.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
ddigangi

wow thanks guys, that was exactly what i need to hear, appreciate it
Old 02-06-2011, 02:05 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddigangi
Still new around the forum but I am getting rid of my BMW 3-series for something else this year. The G37S is really at the top of my list at this point over other cars in my list.

I have been reading around the forum and I hear of some problems people have had with the car. What are these problems? Are they based on the year of the G?

Are we talking about serious stuff? Steering? Clutch? I put a lot of emphasis on buying a car being such an enthusiast and that it is such a big investment. Help por favor!
The best way to do you search about the issues is d=check the recalls the specific model had in last 3 years and what kind... major or minors, that should help a bunch or go to Consumer Reports and see their recommendations based on total value.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 AM
smashhell

I would say the G is one of the most reliable car out there.

Had my G35 for 6 years and just got into my G37.

Never had a SINGLE problem with the car at all. This might be a unfamiliar concept to BMW owners. But isn't having a ZERO Dollar repair bill for 6+ years a good thing ?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
I always tell people that you make 2 major purchases in your life. You buy a house and you buy a car. Do all the research you can before you make either choices.
Yes and no. Edit that to say...

"You buy as many homes as you can and you choose one woman."

Cars are not a major purchase. If the purchase of a vehicle (or any depreciating asset) has any significant effect on ones finances, it should not be made.

Women and real estate, however...
Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 AM
ricbel
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The most annoying thing about my car the coupe to me is the seat belts. They rub on your neck a lot, almost feels like it's cutting into it. I got used to the clutch, the engine is powerful and fun, and the car is beautiful inside and out. I was thinking about getting a 335i before I decided on the G, my only argument for me getting the 335i was speed. But the truth is I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on my commutes, and the G would be more reliable. Also make sure you get the right packages for you, or you may not be as happy.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Falcons023

G37 is the most reliable car in its category....except IS250. IS350 has its own issues though. All german cars are high on maintenance and could cost an arm & a leg to get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Problems with the G37? What are they?