ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

WWYD: Uprev or Ecutek

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:36 AM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
WWYD: Uprev or Ecutek

Hey guys, I have an appointment with Rob at Z Car Garage next month. He's gonna be installing an exhaust component and I told him I wanted a tune done. In the email I asked about Ecutek and he said

"If you car is going to stay NA I would use the UPREV software. It works well $___ out the door" (I blanked out the price on purpose)

I still have warranty on my car and would like the option to flash back to OEM map before I bring it in or any type of problems. I don't feel like jumping through hoops with the dealer and figured this would be the easiest way. I also mentioned this in the email.

"
Your pro tuner is the only one who can touch your software. Ecutek has a function that will not allow the dealer to flash over your rom file"

Maybe I didn't word it right in the email or something but I don't need the dealer to flash the ecu. I would like the option to flash back to OEM at home with a lapop if need be. I have a friend with a 2012 WRX full rebuilt motor and everything he was using Ecutek tuner ran into a lot of problems and had to have the car towed pretty DAMN far to another tuner to get it unlocked or something. Which makes me a little hesitant.

So long story short....should I just follow Rob's advise and go with Uprev or just go with Ecutek?

Based on research on this forum (so far) Ecutek does sound like the way to go...let me know guys.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2016, 09:55 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Can't offer any advice for OP but bumping this thread for interest. Considering a tune in the near future.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I only have limited knowledge but everyone I have heard that has dealt with both uprev and ecutek got much better results out of ecutek. How much is much better? hard to say.

As far as the tuners go most say they like working better with uprev.

I think there are 2 parts to this.

1. the software does seem more user friendly with uprev

2. not very many mechanics/tuners are "authorized dealers" for ecutek, meaning they probably dont have any or much experience with ecutek. I think uprev is more popular across a wide range of cars, so shops prefer to use it because they are familiar with it.

I plan on getting a tune this summer and I may have to drive some significant distance to find someone that has experience working with ecutek and the G37.

my $0.02
The following users liked this post:
kavcheung (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 12:19 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
This is mainly because Uprev was the only option for our platform before. EcuTek has had much more support for us recently, which is why it's becoming a more popular option.

It's not difficult pulling the tune off of your car whether it be Uprev or EcuTek. As long as you have your stock rom file and your tuned file (and a laptop), you can flash your ecu within minutes.

Uprev - end user tuning. EcuTek - NO end user tuning.

I suggest going with EcuTek honestly. I've ran both and it was a night and day difference (then again I'm running FI). ANMVQ also switched over from Uprev and he had great results as well (He is NA).
kavcheung (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
sub'd.. I want some pointers for NA as well except I'm pretty much stuck being an '08.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I'm gonna guess that us guys staying NA with mild mods and who want better shifting from their 7AT will get what they're looking for from the Uprev tune?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Both tunes are good IMO. I've had them both. I have every bolt on accept pulleys as I decided against installed a UR set I had bought. Ecutek is more responsive and offers better shifts. UpRev was an improvement though. If you are going to be mildly bolted go with whatever your tuner suggests as thats the one they are most comfortable with and likely will yield you the best, most reliable results.

I have EcuTek now and will stay with EcuTek as I'll be going FI soon and from what I've read here and on the370z.com EcuTek is hands down a better tune for FI.
kavcheung (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rybitron
I only have limited knowledge but everyone I have heard that has dealt with both uprev and ecutek got much better results out of ecutek. How much is much better? hard to say.

As far as the tuners go most say they like working better with uprev.

I think there are 2 parts to this.

1. the software does seem more user friendly with uprev

2. not very many mechanics/tuners are "authorized dealers" for ecutek, meaning they probably dont have any or much experience with ecutek. I think uprev is more popular across a wide range of cars, so shops prefer to use it because they are familiar with it.

I plan on getting a tune this summer and I may have to drive some significant distance to find someone that has experience working with ecutek and the G37.

my $0.02
This does seem to be true, not as many ecutek tuners vs uprev. My tuner Rob does both.

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Both tunes are good IMO. I've had them both. I have every bolt on accept pulleys as I decided against installed a UR set I had bought. Ecutek is more responsive and offers better shifts. UpRev was an improvement though. If you are going to be mildly bolted go with whatever your tuner suggests as thats the one they are most comfortable with and likely will yield you the best, most reliable results.

I have EcuTek now and will stay with EcuTek as I'll be going FI soon and from what I've read here and on the370z.com EcuTek is hands down a better tune for FI.
I agree as well, Rob at Z Car Garage is damn knowledgeable so whatever he recommends or feels more comfortable doing, especially when I just have simple bolt ons.

Thanks to everyone else who responded. When I go into my appointment I'll ask him in person and see why he says Uprev.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:35 PM
cellwoot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kavcheung
This does seem to be true, not as many ecutek tuners vs uprev. My tuner Rob does both.

I agree as well, Rob at Z Car Garage is damn knowledgeable so whatever he recommends or feels more comfortable doing, especially when I just have simple bolt ons.

Thanks to everyone else who responded. When I go into my appointment I'll ask him in person and see why he says Uprev.

Bump. I'd be interested to hear results as well. I emailed Rob a few days ago for an appointment, still haven't heard back. Wondering if I should give him a call on Tuesday.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:02 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cellwoot
Bump. I'd be interested to hear results as well. I emailed Rob a few days ago for an appointment, still haven't heard back. Wondering if I should give him a call on Tuesday.
They get pretty busy over there, takes a few days but he usually does respond. Which tune are you leaning towards if I may ask.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Just got everything done yesterday with Rob. He told me Uprev so I went with Uprev. He said he's never done Ecutek on a N/A G and would take the whole day to mess around with it and was leaning towards Uprev. He's the pro and I trust him. He did have good things to say about Ecutek though.

He did make a 'deal" with me though because he felt like I was leaning towards Ecutek. I don't really want to disclose this "deal" because I'm not sure if its an one time offer or something he offers to everyone.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:39 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
If you're staying NA and still use the dealer for warranty work, UpRev is easier. The end user can always flash it back to stock, and get serviced for warranty work as if it was a stock ECU. The locked tune that ECUtek does, requires it to be uninstalled/unlocked by the tuner. (Your friend with the WRX could have just removed his ecu and sent it to his tuner, he didn't need to have the whole car towed.) But either way, the car owner can't just flash it back to stock with ECUtek. So that might be a complication if you're having warranty work done.

...this is not meant to push anyone in either direction, just an explanation to the second point the OP mentioned.
kavcheung (06-21-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 01:56 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
If you're staying NA and still use the dealer for warranty work, UpRev is easier. The end user can always flash it back to stock, and get serviced for warranty work as if it was a stock ECU. The locked tune that ECUtek does, requires it to be uninstalled/unlocked by the tuner. (Your friend with the WRX could have just removed his ecu and sent it to his tuner, he didn't need to have the whole car towed.) But either way, the car owner can't just flash it back to stock with ECUtek. So that might be a complication if you're having warranty work done.

...this is not meant to push anyone in either direction, just an explanation to the second point the OP mentioned.
You can flash back to stock with the end user EcuTek software that you use for logging. You need a cable to do this though. If the dealer flashes your ECU, you may lose your EcuTek license even though you removed your tune. This is because The license is tied to your Rom # I believe. This is not the case with Uprev. Someone can correct me on this if it is not true, but that is what I heard.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:39 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I think you have it backwards, I have had both also, and ECUTEK to me hands down is better, Also I had my UPREV tune erased at the dealer" Tuned map" I also had my ECUTEK tune erased but this was on the stock ROM map, I was told by John V that if I had left my "Tuned" map on the car it locks out the ECU and the dealer wouldn't been able to flash/erase the tune. If I am wrong both can be flashed over, BTW both times my ROM ID stayed the same."3WR4A"
Old 06-16-2016, 02:55 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Ah I didn't know that. I was hesitant on getting TSB updates for my 7AT because I thought the ROM ID would change. I need to look into it again.

The only thing I know is that you can't resell your EcuTek license because once it marries to a ROM ID, it's tied to it forever.

Quick Reply: WWYD: Uprev or Ecutek