D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: How to make your own ground wires.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
will disconnecting the battery for this mod cause my reflash of the transmission to delete or revert back to factory specs?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 AM
axxion89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did this to my 2010 G37X. Radio definitely sounds louder and shots seems more responsive in manual mode. However, it seems the shifts are faster in gears 1-5 & 6 - 7 are still delayed, but I would think this is more due to these are the OD gears.

Great guide!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:43 AM
scarguy055

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting an additional cable from the battery negative terminal directly to the chassis bypasses the battery current sensor, which can impact the power generation voltage variable control system, possibly leading to improper battery charging.

If this causes the alternator to charge too often, it can cause battery over-charging, premature alternator failure and decreased fuel efficiency.

It seems to me like the additional ground to the negative terminal would cause the battery current sensor to see less of the current, making it think there was less battery use, causing it to under-charge. Not only is a weak charged battery an issue for multiple reasons, but on my 'vert could impact the top operation which is very sensitive to battery voltage.

Like many current sensors, the battery current sensor appears to be a "ring" that just sits around the factory ground cable. The factory ground cable seems very thin and the battery current sensor appears to have plenty of room to accept a much thicker cable.

Has anyone tried to replace the factory ground cable from the negative battery terminal to the chassis by running a thicker gauge ground cable through the battery current sensor?

I wonder if the decreased space between the sensor and a thicker cable would cause the sensor to incorrectly sense what it thought was a higher current, causing the alternator to run too much?

Last edited by scarguy055; 04-09-2016 at 01:32 AM.