Build Threads

TannerGs Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:06 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
TannerGs Build

Hello! Thanks for taking a look at my Build. I recently purchased a 2009 Infiniti G37X in Liquid platinum and black interior w/ 51K miles on the odometer. The car is in incredible condition (owned and serviced by a little old lady) and a ton of fun to drive. I've searched the G forum for a few months now marveling at different builds and am grateful for the supportive community here. Anyway I have a lot of aspirations w/ this car and want to make it a refined, clean, joy to drive a look at w/ a ton of power lol. Lucky one of my close friends is a mechanic and used to work on imports and has a ton of tools. So here we go:

Today, 3/5/2016 I made the first step by de-badging the Infiniti and silly dealership decals

Heres a list of some Mods I would like to do. Im still deciding on the specifics so look for updates along the way

Power Mods
Magnaflow or Flowmaster exhaust. Im thinking I'm going to just attach a universal exhaust on instead of replacing the whole system. Any recommendations would be great.
K&N or Injen CAI

Handling Mods
Hotchkis 22443 Sport Sway Bar Set for Nissan G35X/G37X (AWD) 08+
New wheels w/ performance tires
Any Other suggestions would be appreciated

Appearance Mods
Painted black trim- exterior
Aluminum graphite black trim- interior
De-badged (barely a mod lol)
Led interior bulbs
Weather tech floor mats
Painted front grille
Window tint- Still deciding on %

So far thats it. Again any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails TannerGs Build-12822156_10206877756480913_2132603178_n.jpg   TannerGs Build-12825288_10206877757320934_1135460412_n.jpg   TannerGs Build-12825490_10206877756880923_1303040962_n.jpg  

Last edited by TannerG; 03-21-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:34 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by TannerG
Hello! Thanks for taking a look at my Build. I recently purchased a 2009 Infiniti G37X in Liquid platinum and black interior w/ 51K miles on the odometer. The car is in incredible condition (owned and serviced by a little old lady) and a ton of fun to drive. I've searched the G forum for a few months now marveling at different builds and am grateful for the supportive community here. Anyway I have a lot of aspirations w/ this car and want to make it a refined, clean, joy to drive a look at w/ a ton of power lol. Lucky one of my close friends is a mechanic and used to work on imports and has a ton of tools. So here we go:

Today, 5/5/2016 I made the first step by de-badging the Infiniti and silly dealership decals

Heres a list of some Mods I would like to do. Im still deciding on the specifics so look for updates along the way

Power Mods
Magnaflow or Flowmaster exhaust. Im thinking I'm going to just attach a universal exhaust on instead of replacing the whole system. Any recommendations would be great.
K&N or Injen CAI

Handling Mods
Hotchkis 22443 Sport Sway Bar Set for Nissan G35X/G37X (AWD) 08+
Any Other suggestions would be appreciated

Appearance Mods
Painted black trim- exterior
Aluminum graphite black trim- interior
De-badged (barely a mod lol)
Led interior bulbs
Weather tech floor mats
Painted front grille
Window tint- Still deciding on %

So far thats it. Again any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
You can add wider wheels+tires and Swift springs/Coilovers to your handling mods.

I'd definitely recommend some Morimoto XB LED foglights, I've had them since November. They're awesome. If you don't plan on doing a full exhaust, you can throw on some highflow cats. I decided to go with Berks.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Look forward to your progress. As far as Intakes, K&N is a Short Ram Intake (SRI), and Injen makes a SRI (I have that one) and a long tube true cold air intake. The other two common CAIs are Stillen Gen3 and the Takeda CAI.

As far as exhaust, for an X the TopSpeed w/ beveled tips is a good option for about $550 but seems to be constantly out of stock. On a budget you might consider a muffler delete w/ the exhaust tips of your choice.

Have fun w/ your build and shoot a PM if you want to discuss wheels/tires, or a drop.
Brad
Old 03-05-2016, 07:41 PM
TannerG

Thanks for the responses, I plan on getting 19" w/ performance tires and keeping the OEM set up for winter driving. I don't plan on lowering the car. I am not going to replace the entire exhaust system but going to replace the mufflers w/ some tips already welded on seeing how my exhaust is in great condition already. Blnewt do you like your SRI CAI? Does K&N only make a short ram intake for the G?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses, I plan on getting 19" w/ performance tires and keeping the OEM set up for winter driving. I don't plan on lowering the car. I am not going to replace the entire exhaust system but going to replace the mufflers w/ some tips already welded on seeing how my exhaust is in great condition already. Blnewt do you like your SRI CAI? Does K&N only make a short ram intake for the G?
There's several options for short ram intakes. You have R2C, Injen, Takeda (I think) just to name a few.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Any time you have your intake air coming from inside the engine bay it's a short ram setup, the ones that have tubes/filters that extend in front of the radiator it's a true cold air intake.
The cold air intakes will merit some gains in hp, somewhere in the 5 to 10 hp seems to be the range give or take a couple hp. This usually comes in the higher rpm range w/ some losses at lower rpms.

The SRIs typically don't have gain, maybe 2 or 3hp, they're mainly for sound and a better look. I do like my Injen SRI, and it uses the OEM flex pipes which are plastic, this can be an advantage over other SRIs since most others use metal pipes which get hotter in the engine bay and are more prone to heat soak (which brings even warmer air into the motor resulting in decreased performance).

19s are a good choice if you don't want to lower your G. There's some nice 19s that shouldn't bust your budget. These Konigs are lighter weight and pretty good looking IMO. You could run 19x 8.5 +33 front on 235/40/19 and a 19x 9.5 ++35 on 275/35/19, the tire sizes give you a 0.67% diameter variance w/ the rear tires being slightly larger diameter, this is great since your rears wear faster, this will bring your variance closer to zero over time.

These are the Flow formed Konigs, they're lighter weight and stronger than regular cell cast wheels, the Rennform, Centigram, and Integram are all available in 19s w/ offsets that will work & pretty nice looking sets IMO.

Flow Formed Wheels - Konig Wheels

If you have more of a budget there's some nice sets from Work (Emotion Line), Gramlites by Rays, and Wedsport, these are about double what the Konigs would run FWIW and are also Flow Formed.
Here's a site that lists many of those wheels

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Emotion

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Gram Lights

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: WedsSport

And there's another thousand wheels out there so have fun with it and ask plenty of questions
Old 03-05-2016, 09:07 PM
TannerG

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
You can add wider wheels+tires and Swift springs/Coilovers to your handling mods.

I'd definitely recommend some Morimoto XB LED foglights, I've had them since November. They're awesome. If you don't plan on doing a full exhaust, you can throw on some highflow cats. I decided to go with Berks.
Originally Posted by blnewt
Look forward to your progress. As far as Intakes, K&N is a Short Ram Intake (SRI), and Injen makes a SRI (I have that one) and a long tube true cold air intake. The other two common CAIs are Stillen Gen3 and the Takeda CAI.

As far as exhaust, for an X the TopSpeed w/ beveled tips is a good option for about $550 but seems to be constantly out of stock. On a budget you might consider a muffler delete w/ the exhaust tips of your choice.

Have fun w/ your build and shoot a PM if you want to discuss wheels/tires, or a drop.
Brad
Originally Posted by blnewt
Any time you have your intake air coming from inside the engine bay it's a short ram setup, the ones that have tubes/filters that extend in front of the radiator it's a true cold air intake.
The cold air intakes will merit some gains in hp, somewhere in the 5 to 10 hp seems to be the range give or take a couple hp. This usually comes in the higher rpm range w/ some losses at lower rpms.

The SRIs typically don't have gain, maybe 2 or 3hp, they're mainly for sound and a better look. I do like my Injen SRI, and it uses the OEM flex pipes which are plastic, this can be an advantage over other SRIs since most others use metal pipes which get hotter in the engine bay and are more prone to heat soak (which brings even warmer air into the motor resulting in decreased performance).

19s are a good choice if you don't want to lower your G. There's some nice 19s that shouldn't bust your budget. These Konigs are lighter weight and pretty good looking IMO. You could run 19x 8.5 +33 front on 235/40/19 and a 19x 9.5 ++35 on 275/35/19, the tire sizes give you a 0.67% diameter variance w/ the rear tires being slightly larger diameter, this is great since your rears wear faster, this will bring your variance closer to zero over time.

These are the Flow formed Konigs, they're lighter weight and stronger than regular cell cast wheels, the Rennform, Centigram, and Integram are all available in 19s w/ offsets that will work & pretty nice looking sets IMO.

Flow Formed Wheels - Konig Wheels

If you have more of a budget there's some nice sets from Work (Emotion Line), Gramlites by Rays, and Wedsport, these are about double what the Konigs would run FWIW and are also Flow Formed.
Here's a site that lists many of those wheels

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Emotion

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Gram Lights

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: WedsSport

And there's another thousand wheels out there so have fun with it and ask plenty of questions
Wow great thank you for all that information. Yeah i had pretty much decided on a full CAI instead of Short Ram after assessing the room clearance today with my buddy we think we can make it work w/o issues on heat sync. That piping recommendation is extremely good stuff and makes sense. So what do the more expensive wheels provide that the Konigs don't? BTW thank you for being very helpful on these posts especially to those who are obviously new. Ive been a part of several forums over the years for most of my cars and most of the time people can be real snobby to those who are new. Its refreshing to see people who still act like people even over the internet.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 10:39 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Seriously I've said this before and will say it again blnewt is one of the most knowledgeable and willing to help people on this forum! I have nothing but the ultimate respect for him!
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Wow great thank you for all that information. Yeah i had pretty much decided on a full CAI instead of Short Ram after assessing the room clearance today with my buddy we think we can make it work w/o issues on heat sync. That piping recommendation is extremely good stuff and makes sense. So what do the more expensive wheels provide that the Konigs don't? BTW thank you for being very helpful on these posts especially to those who are obviously new. Ive been a part of several forums over the years for most of my cars and most of the time people can be real snobby to those who are new. Its refreshing to see people who still act like people even over the internet.
Well, trying to help tends to keep people around
As far as the CAI, I think the Takeda tends to get the best reviews overall as far as ease of install and the overall fit, cost is pretty good too. I think Brian still has the group buy here to get a nice price~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...ir-intake.html

As far as wheels, The Japan based wheels such as the Weds, Rays, Work, and Volk typically have very tight quality control and some stunning design and their price reflects that. The Konigs have been around a long time and make a quality product, they have many wheel designs that are plain & basic which are seen on a lot of cheaper cars so that may tarnish their reputation somewhat. Their flow formed line seems to be pretty solid and nice looking, and here's a list of the Top 10 wheel companies from 2013 (which isn't conclusive but gives you an idea that they are a decent brand)
The 10 Best Aftermarket Wheel Manufacturers Right Now | Complex

Originally Posted by kennyz424
Seriously I've said this before and will say it again blnewt is one of the most knowledgeable and willing to help people on this forum! I have nothing but the ultimate respect for him!
Kenny, thanks for the kind words, there's been countless numbers of folks around here that helped me figure things out and learn something new around here daily. There's much to learn about these vehicles and I've just scratched the surface to be honest, but try to help with what I do know, lol.

You've been quite helpful in your time here as well
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
kennyz424 (03-06-2016), TannerG (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 08:39 AM
TannerG

Great thanks for the responses. Ill definitely continue to do my research. As far as exhaust goes what have y'all found to be a good product that provides good sound w/o waking the neighbors lol?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:17 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Great thanks for the responses. Ill definitely continue to do my research. As far as exhaust goes what have y'all found to be a good product that provides good sound w/o waking the neighbors lol?
From the video I've seen, Invidia catbacks are relatively quiet. You'll need to get it modified to fit the AWD sedan though.

I like my Tanabe axleback, and I'm pairing it up with Berks HFC next week. I'll upload videos if you're interested, and seeing you're in NC, I'd gladly show you how it sounds in person.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:55 PM
TannerG

From the video I've seen, Invidia catbacks are relatively quiet. You'll need to get it modified to fit the AWD sedan though.

I like my Tanabe axleback, and I'm pairing it up with Berks HFC next week. I'll upload videos if you're interested, and seeing you're in NC, I'd gladly show you how it sounds in person.
Awesome let me know when you upload a video. I would love to have a NC meet up w/ all the NC members.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Awesome let me know when you upload a video. I would love to have a NC meet up w/ all the NC members.
Are you near Raleigh? I'm over on Camp Lejeune (woooo)
Here's a video that I took of the Tanabe. Everything else is stock.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:09 PM
TannerG

Are you near Raleigh? I'm over on Camp Lejeune (woooo)
Here's a video that I took of the Tanabe. Everything else is stock.
https://youtu.be/1JNIRqxDyy4
Yeah man, I live near State. That thing sounds sweet how much did that set up cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:34 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
An 09 but still looks new.. Let me know if you wanna go through with those power mods, so you can hear her breathe.

-Josh

Quick Reply: TannerGs Build