Tein S rear springs
Whiteline Sways
GT-Spec FSTB
SPC camber kit

Visual/ICE/Other
TS style front lip w/fogs
TS style side skirts
Mesh Grill
Ceramic Tint (5% rears, 20% sides, 30% windshield)
DIY Painted Headlight Housings
DIY Dipped Calipers
DIY Debadged Rear (except fuji)
DIY Tail Overlays
DIY CF-wrapped (&stained) interior
DD accent & license LED conversion
HELLA Horns
STR 607 (20x8.5F, 20X10.5R) Wheels
10" Infinity sub in custom box, powered by 1000w BOSS amp

Future Mods
DD Lighting & Fog HID upgrade
Osiris/Ecutek Tune
Autokits V2 Diffuser (WTB!)
Wrap?

Latest/current Pic for the lazy:

__________________________________________________ ___________

Build History:

Just got on google photos and realized how far my car has come in the past year, so I decided to put up a thread detailing my changes. *pretty* much everything I've put on her was DIY, and secondhand. so costs stayed pretty reasonable throughout the build.

Lets get right to it. Pardon the stockness, it gets better...

AS PURCHASED:

First matter of business was tint (i feel exposed without it)
5% rears, 20% sides, 30% windshield

Looks like I also dipped my rear emblems around that time:

Took this pic a lil later and noticed how embarrasing my front wheel gap was... I'm sure you can guess what's coming next...

Eibach springs on the front (oe struts). not a great pic, but definite improvement:

DIY dipped calipers. Finish is still holding tough ~1+ year later:

Tein S springs on the rear. aaaah thats more like it

(also akebono vinyl overlays for calipers)

I remember around this time, the frontend of the car was really bugging me. The front emblem was too small, and it just looked *stark* overall.

I experimented with a few different LED options to give the frontend some lift:

Picked this option. Got ebay LEDs:

A little ICE:

More to come... just saving this cuz i know if i lose it i'm not starting over.

Last edited by squarehead; 08-06-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 PM
squarehead

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I see a lot of photos of my headlights. this must be around the time i started thinking about modding them myself...

Yup... lemme tell ya, this project was so fun.

Finished product. I remember feeling iffy about these after i put em in :/

The concept was great in my head, but they ended up looking a little... juvenile.

Debadged except fuji...

Ooooooooooooh yeah... and then THIS happened... dipped wheels, and scrapped the tiny fuji on the front. not everyone's cup of tea, i know. not the greatest pics, but they really did pop in person and got a lot of attention.

Linked up with some local G's:

Look! I'm in a pic that nismo shared on IG!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:14 PM
squarehead

After connecting with a few G/VQ people, I started eyeing local FS threads. It wasn't long til' a deal popped up that I couldn't turn down...
20" STR (vossen reps, i'm sure you've seen em)
Nice concave. 20X9 front, 20X10.5 rear:

I didn't even mount em - straight to paint:

Mounted.

Another local deal scored me my first engine mod: kinetix HFC's and Takeda LT intake:

It was a huge DIY weekend. I installed everything AND yanked my headlights for another change:

Got rid of the red for a more subtle theme:

Good lord, that's pretty aggressive lookin'

Continued the momentum with a lip + fogs scored from a local guy.
Test fit before it went out for paint:

While the lip was out for paint, I installed whiteline F+R sways - set to stiffest. Second favorite mod - really transformed the car:

Lip's back in and mounted. Also got the front bumper sprayed bcuz rock chips.

A better-than-iphone shot taken at a local meet:

Last edited by squarehead; 07-08-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wow, you've stayed quite busy on that coupe. Like the 5 spokes in white much better than the coupe 19s, looks like a nice job on the paint too. The gray light bezels was a nice change too, agree about the red being a bit out of place.

Not sure about the lower rear setup, I prefer the raked stance but kudos for going your own way. Look forward to whatever you have in store for us
BTW, that upper & lower grill and the Takeda CAI look great!
The following users liked this post:
squarehead (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 AM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
Wow nice progression. Not my place to say but I agree with ditching the red shrouds.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Your front end looks so mean now. Great work! Bright red shrouds is a nono, but you fixed that. I like how you tested different locations for the front LEDs.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:10 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uf...=w1437-h955-no

Man I'm so jealous that you have so many fellow G owners in your immediate area!!

Love the way you started your build thread Sqaurehead. Lots of transformation pics, short and concise points/descriptions, and your thought process as you were handling the mods.

Much respect to your DIYing everything as well.

I'm in love with the white painted wheels. Can you do me a favor plz? Post a pic that shows how flush or where the front 20x9" wheels sit. Oh and include the offset as well please Sir.

Im mounting my wheels in the next day or two and I happen to have 20x9 +36 in the front. I bought a set of project Kics spacers 15mm I think and I need to know if I'm going to want/need them on the car or not. Help!
Old 07-10-2015, 09:13 AM
squarehead

Originally Posted by blnewt
Wow, you've stayed quite busy on that coupe. Like the 5 spokes in white much better than the coupe 19s, looks like a nice job on the paint too. The gray light bezels was a nice change too, agree about the red being a bit out of place.

Not sure about the lower rear setup, I prefer the raked stance but kudos for going your own way. Look forward to whatever you have in store for us
BTW, that upper & lower grill and the Takeda CAI look great!
thx sir! re: rears - a lot more work went into getting the new wheels to fit the rears than I originally let on. I had significant rubbing issues and had to shave down the bumper bolts and lining, and I had to set the rear sways to stiffest setting because on mid, the lateral weight transfer facilitated more rubbing.

Originally Posted by G37xhibeet
Wow nice progression. Not my place to say but I agree with ditching the red shrouds.
thx

Originally Posted by nishfish871
Your front end looks so mean now. Great work! Bright red shrouds is a nono, but you fixed that. I like how you tested different locations for the front LEDs.
thx! i actually whipped those up in MS paint and submitted them in a poll on here. you guys helped me decide

Originally Posted by Redfire32
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uf...=w1437-h955-no

Man I'm so jealous that you have so many fellow G owners in your immediate area!!

Love the way you started your build thread Sqaurehead. Lots of transformation pics, short and concise points/descriptions, and your thought process as you were handling the mods.

Much respect to your DIYing everything as well.

I'm in love with the white painted wheels. Can you do me a favor plz? Post a pic that shows how flush or where the front 20x9" wheels sit. Oh and include the offset as well please Sir.

Im mounting my wheels in the next day or two and I happen to have 20x9 +36 in the front. I bought a set of project Kics spacers 15mm I think and I need to know if I'm going to want/need them on the car or not. Help!
Thx man - your thread was an inspiration to start mine, cant wait till you get your damn parts on and update!

as requested, here's some quick shots of the front fitment. Definitely more "tucked" than flush. They're +35 and just barely clear the akebonos. I could probably benefit from some spacers myself. ps disregard the dirt, I'm working on an interior project at the moment
https://goo.gl/photos/esPMi75EeS4ZneS19

Yeah there's a decent G (and VQ overall!) scene out here. There's frequent meets and group rides too.

Last edited by squarehead; 07-10-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Once again I'm so jelly that your able to roll with 15-20 other G owners!!! I'm lucky if I see one old woman every couple months driving a G37.

Thank you for the pics! I'm on my way to drop off my final puzzle pieces now and thanks to your pics I'm certain that I'm going to have them use the spacers I bought.

Hey I just posted some more parts n mods pics on my build thread. Go check them out! The IPL sides and side splitters look fantastic. I'm extremely glad I decided to buy those before the transformation. Check the pics I think you'll agree.

Oh and if I inspired your build thread then you have taken whatever I may have done right with you and corrected everything I've done wrong. Perfect build thread beginning. You should add on a wish list or mod plans of the future. Right now I'm debating going aired out vs just getting swifts. Smh. Before this accident I could've called my build an "on a budget build."
Old 07-13-2015, 02:28 PM
squarehead

Another day, another DIY...

Scored a full titanium invidia gemini CBE. another decent deal from a local guy.

Transport:

DIY .good GOD the OE exhaust is heavy, and I had to take it all off as once piece cuz the bolts were seized beyond my capabilities! i tried pb blaster and torchin' em. no dice. got 'er done though:

4" Flowmaster tips came in a couple days after the install:

Here's some exhaust music:
https://instagram.com/p/2602Q2r3Bj/?...=squareheadrob

Another song for ya's kinda scary to see how little ground clearance there is in the first couple seconds after takeoff:
The following users liked this post:
Redfire32 (07-14-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 04:46 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Nice score on the exhaust.

Sounds as good as it looks.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sweet addition w/ the exhaust, looking nice!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Nice pickup Squarehead! Keep moving right along....chugga chugga chugga choochoo
Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM
squarehead

Another nice shot taken at a local meet - more changes to come...
Old 08-05-2015, 02:50 PM
squarehead

So I decided to try my hand at vinyl wrapping. I got some cf wrap for my hood.

Now generally CF wouldn't be my cuppa tea. A bit aggressive/racecar IMO. But my hood had some pretty serious rock chips and scratches, so i figured it's removable, wth, rice it up:

It was a DIY - I really started getting used to the heat gun and the vinyl's tolerance towards the end. Overall it came out pretty well. There were a couple trouble spots, but I had bought a couple rolls and I was prepared to DIY it again. I see some more vinyl work in my future (hint)

I also got a set of hella horns (red) and painted em' to tame them down to match my theme and be a lil less noticeable:

I originally intended to have them visible through my grill, but I didnt like any of the configurations so I tucked em behind the lower vent.

now, they're basically invisible unless you're lookin' for em.

in case anyone's wondering about the sound, i'm pretty disappointed. they may indeed be higher decibel than OE horns, but the tone is significantly higher, and i'm not sure if it makes as much of a jarring "LOOK OUT" impact in emergency situations. and they make my gf laugh I think they'll be coming off soon.

Last edited by squarehead; 08-05-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Square's build-on-a-budget