Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
I agree.. despite what everyone said about springs, I tried it years ago. The following car I got coilovers and it was night and day. I've had coilovers ever since, in the last 3 cars I've all tein's
Old 07-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly - Installed

Originally Posted by blnewt
Look forward to your review of that one John (and any reviews you want to post in the review folder would be awesome).
Rather than double-post this mod, here's the review comment post-install:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post3933567
The following users liked this post:
MaQG37 (07-29-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Height adjustable coilovers.

I said it before. Put the $$ and time you're using chasing perfect ride height and invest in coilovers. You'll enjoy it for all the time you have the car.
Originally Posted by ToXIc
I agree.. despite what everyone said about springs, I tried it years ago. The following car I got coilovers and it was night and day. I've had coilovers ever since, in the last 3 cars I've all tein's
I hear you, guys. And I hear that voice in my head telling me the same thing. Maybe next month... IDK. As much as I want to see-a-problem/solve-a-problem, I really need to step back and let this process for a while.

Given family vacation plans, and having just spent money on the Camber Arms and RJM Clutch Pedal, it's looking very that I'll be limping down to the Sedan Meet-up with goofy camber and a droopy bum.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I swung by INFINITI this morning for a consultation with their Tech who has been working on my car for things like alignments, an early brake problem, and warranty repair/replacement of the CSC last year. When I showed him the SPC Camber arms, he didn't realize until looking at the install sheet that the bolt holes on the car needed to be elongated, and said the shop didn't have the tools for that. And if he described the mod to the SM staff that the dealership probably would nix it.

So that happened. Or didn't happen, as it were.

Then I walked him through the last 16 months: wheels, springs, spring bushings v1.0, spring bushings v2.0, and my proposal for spring bushings v3.0... putting the 3/8" bushings on the underside of the top-seats (after shaving their inner lips). He also nixed that idea, saying it would certainly address the height objective without compromise to the bushing integrity, unlike the way they blew out between the springs and the top-seats. However, he said there might be some sliding around, even when inside the upper bucket. In other words, it *might* work, but there's an equal chance it wouldn't be safe.

So that (didn't) happen either.

Which brings me all the way back to coil-overs. (sigh)
Old 07-29-2015, 09:25 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Are you thinking Tein Basis?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Are you thinking Tein Basis?
Yes. But I need to take a big step back and let everything process for a while without whipping out the PayPal account. That means a lot more research. My current situation isn't dangerous... the bushings are stretched out of shape and useless now, but the springs and top-seats are still not going anywhere. So I may pursue CO's this Fall, or I may wait until next Spring.

And if I wait until next Spring, that pushes the 4.083 Gear mod into next Summer, or possibly into 2017.

The Tein Basis are a very affordable CO, but without damping adjustment... which might be OK by me. The car already handles like a beast in its current form, so same-as or slightly better with the Tein setup is very acceptable.

Why, MaQG37? What are your thoughts on the Basis?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes. But I need to take a big step back and let everything process for a while without whipping out the PayPal account. That means a lot more research. My current situation isn't dangerous... the bushings are stretched out of shape and useless now, but the springs and top-seats are still not going anywhere. So I may pursue CO's this Fall, or I may wait until next Spring.

And if I wait until next Spring, that pushes the 4.083 Gear mod into next Summer, or possibly into 2017.

The Tein Basis are a very affordable CO, but without damping adjustment... which might be OK by me. The car already handles like a beast in its current form, so same-as or slightly better with the Tein setup is very acceptable.

Why, MaQG37? What are your thoughts on the Basis?
I'd say I am in the same boat. My car has low miles where everything is in good shape for suspension where I am not forced to make a decision soon due to worn out parts. Tein is a very reputable company but I was just a bit hesitant at first because of the lack of dampening. But , as I do more digging , it's becoming less of a factor for me.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
John, you could always just install the rear COs and keep the front COs fresh for when the front dampers start to fade. And installing just the rears is a breeze
Like I've said in a few posts the damping adjustment in budget coilovers is a bit overrated. There's such a small window of adjustment that you'd want to drive your car with that it's not as great as it sounds (at least in my experience). Now adjustable KWs or higher end shocks is a different story, and if you do a lot of tracking being able to go firmer is a plus.

In Johns case w/ his sway setup I think having factory set dampers should result in a nice drive.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
John, you could always just install the rear COs and keep the front COs fresh for when the front dampers start to fade. And installing just the rears is a breeze
Like I've said in a few posts the damping adjustment in budget coilovers is a bit overrated. There's such a small window of adjustment that you'd want to drive your car with that it's not as great as it sounds (at least in my experience). Now adjustable KWs or higher end shocks is a different story, and if you do a lot of tracking being able to go firmer is a plus.

In Johns case w/ his sway setup I think having factory set dampers should result in a nice drive.
No lie, Brad, but I've been thinking about a rear-only upgrade for a while. I probably mentioned that at least once in the Chat Thread, but the idea never really got any traction. Specifically, I was thinking about adjustable rear coils only, with the OEM rear shocks. But if the only way I can acquire these parts is as a full front/rear kit, so be it. I rather like your idea: rears and rear-camber arms today, fronts next year. The fronts are already at 26 3/4" floor to fender, and I'd like the rears to match, with -2.0* camber in the rear.

After getting to know the underside better year over year, I believe you're right that the rears really are an uncomplicated install (for my mechanic, LOL.) I could probably get the camber arms and rear kit installed in 2-3 hours labor, and then another alignment.

I would sure hate to go to the Sedan Meetup next month with the car looking all goofy on both rear corners. Not that anyone would notice unless I force them to see it, but still... *I* see it. And that's kind of the point.

[edit]

The wifey and I have been talking. She hates what I've been doing, customizing the suspension with bushings. And when I told her the Infiniti Tech uttered the word "unsafe" with my latest proposal, she's suddenly encouraging me to get CO's. I suspect part of that is so that I get back to my happy place, and stop moping around because of the car.

Derp.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-30-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:18 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Ha! If my wife caught me moping around cause of my car she would sell it for me when I left town. "See! Nothing to worry about any more!"
Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Ha! If my wife caught me moping around cause of my car she would sell it for me when I left town. "See! Nothing to worry about any more!"

So funny. That's wife talk to a tee too
Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Mine's not like that, guys. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I bought the CO's today from Charles at B2AutoDesigns. Apparently when I said I needed to step back and process this situation, I only meant 24 hours. LOL
Old 07-31-2015, 06:22 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought the CO's today from Charles at B2AutoDesigns. Apparently when I said I needed to step back and process this situation, I only meant 24 hours. LOL
Which ones did you get? Ten Basis? Now you have me wondering. I ordered some Coupe wheels last night and was going to go with some Tien H springs. Let me know how you like the Basis CO's.

Last edited by xpcgamer; 07-31-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:49 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Keeping the pimp hand strong. Smart man

Glad to hear you finally came to your senses and stopped chasing the bushing idea. So, with wifey's approval, was it KWv3, or did you stick with the Tein?
Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Which ones did you get? Ten Basis?
Yes. Here's my thinking, knock on wood:
  • The price is low, the brand is very respectable, and reviews are positive.
  • I'm replacing lowered OEM (sport) shocks with new Tein shocks designed to function with their adjustable coils when lower than OEM height. I figure the performance of those shocks could only be as good or better.
  • The lack of adjustable damping bugs me, because I like toys. But like anything adjustable, the odds are once set it's forgotten. So I'm assuming the Basis are designed as a middle-ground between harsh and soft.
  • With aftermarket sways, both upper and lower bracing, and sticky-wide PSS, the car already handles extraordinarily well. Using Tein CO's should only contribute to that. We'll see.
  • I can always upgrade in the future and sell these as half-price. Just like my Swift springs, which I could easily sell here for half of what I paid.

Also, as Brad has recommended, I'm planning on just installing the rear shocks & adjustable coils, as well as the SPC rear camber arms. I figure I could leave the car with my mechanic for a day, request he dial the rears to match the 26 3/4" height of the front, then ask the alignment shop for a -2.0* camber on the rears. Next year, I may or may not get a front camber kit for installation of the CO's in the front.

So... a hybrid Swift-OEM/Front, Tein Rear combination. Let's see if that works. If the mismatch is obviously bad, then I continue on with the fronts right away.

It's a hobby after all.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G