Z1 Front Upper Control Arm (race) followup

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
I hate to say it but you get what you pay for!!
I changed out all my parts to SPL and will never look back..
I gave up on Z1.. There so called silicon hoses they are suppose to never crack and last the life time of the car Is garbage as well..after 2 yes they are already falling apart!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:14 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 35Sport
The new one is also failing. I didn't bother trying to tighten anything before installing since Spencer said they are all preassembled. This one is coming apart as well. My point to Spencer was that their QA sucks. Really makes me lose confidence in their other products.

I guess they will be changing their directions to include tightening the joints. I myself will be opting for a refund and a different product.
It's really as simple as disassembling the ball joint, cleaning the threads, apply some red lock right and screw the two pieces back together.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:15 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nishfish871
What about getting the non-race model joint? They will just need continuous greasing down the road.

BTW: Check your private messages
It's the balljoint that is separating, at least on my arms. The street versus race versions refer to the bushing on the body side of the arms so this would more than likely be an issue on both arms.

Originally Posted by Presto
when SPL makes a quality product why try and be an early adopter for the z1 product?

while z1 does come up with some new products for our cars (like their z1 csc, rear diff cover etc) i am hesitant to buy them because i always get the feeling they are extremely busy and lack a bit in the customer service department and after sales and quality checks.
The SPL arms are a superior product, but they're not worth 3x the cost to me personally. I'd rather save $500 and locktight one bolt.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:17 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chuckie311
I hate to say it but you get what you pay for!!
I changed out all my parts to SPL and will never look back..
I gave up on Z1.. There so called silicon hoses they are suppose to never crack and last the life time of the car Is garbage as well..after 2 yes they are already falling apart!
Again, we're talking about a 90 second fix and some red locktight. I'll keep my $500.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:42 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jfisher
It's really as simple as disassembling the ball joint, cleaning the threads, apply some red lock right and screw the two pieces back together.
I don't know how long you drove on it making noise. They told me I destroyed the teflon on the inside of my old one driving on it. If they want you to locktight the bolt they should probably include those steps in the instructions. They don't mention you'll need an 8mm allen key to complete the job. They also don't mention doing anything to the heim joint. When I spoke with Spencer I told him about the issue and how I read others have had the same problem. He assured me a new one would solve the issue. I purposely didn't tighten anything because I wanted to test their QA. Spencer said they're preassembled and do not require tightening. It's the principle of it for me. If you cause an issue for me and then neglect to take precautions to prevent it from happening again, I don't want your product on my car. I will gladly start all over again and swap out for something better!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

I don't know how long you drove on it making noise. They told me I destroyed the teflon on the inside of my old one driving on it. If they want you to locktight the bolt they should probably include those steps in the instructions. They don't mention you'll need an 8mm allen key to complete the job. They also don't mention doing anything to the heim joint. When I spoke with Spencer I told him about the issue and how I read others have had the same problem. He assured me a new one would solve the issue. I purposely didn't tighten anything because I wanted to test their QA. Spencer said they're preassembled and do not require tightening. It's the principle of it for me. If you cause an issue for me and then neglect to take precautions to prevent it from happening again, I don't want your product on my car. I will gladly start all over again and swap out for something better!
I can't disagree with you on that. I just can't justify spending $7-800 on a set of control arms. No it hasn't been the smoothest process, but I'm still glad I had these arms.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:30 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Cost was the biggest factor. The product appeared to be solid. They looked harder to adjust but that's what the alignment guy does anyways. What I found out is that they're not assembled properly in many cases I've read about and experienced. That's not exactly the area you want assembly issues with. I can't speak for the poly street version but I'm not going to try either.

I'll just go with the Kinetix as a replacement.
ive been using the spc revised version for about 3 years now, it does the job and is a lot cheaper than z1 or spl.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:32 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Presto
ive been using the spc revised version for about 3 years now, it does the job and is a lot cheaper than z1 or spl.
Link to the ones you have? Z1 are cheaper than any SPC arms I've seen and have more adjustment.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Link to the ones you have? Z1 are cheaper than any SPC arms I've seen and have more adjustment.
I thought you couldn't adjust caster w/ the Z1s
Old 03-03-2016, 03:18 AM
chuckie311

You can slightly adjust caster and adjust the arms for camber..they don't say by how much though..
Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
I thought you couldn't adjust caster w/ the Z1s
The principal of caster adjustment on the Z1's is exactly like it is on the SPL's. "To adjust caster, lengthen or shorten one adjuster at a time. For more caster shorten the adjuster towards the rear
of the vehicle or lengthen the adjuster towards the front of the vehicle. For less caster lengthen the adjuster
towards the rear of the vehicle"

Page 1, second paragraph of SPL's instructions:

http://www.splparts.com/content/SPLFUAZ34.pdf

Originally Posted by chuckie311
You can slightly adjust caster and adjust the arms for camber..they don't say by how much though..
Neither does SPL
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (03-03-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:21 AM
chuckie311

The principal of caster adjustment on the Z1's is exactly like it is on the SPL's. "To adjust caster, lengthen or shorten one adjuster at a time. For more caster shorten the adjuster towards the rear
of the vehicle or lengthen the adjuster towards the front of the vehicle. For less caster lengthen the adjuster

Neither does SPL

ummm you sure about that!!

Adjustment ranges: On a 2009 Nismo test car we reached -4.8 degrees of camber at 5 degrees of caster. At -4 degrees of negative camber, we achieved 6.5 degrees of caster and at -3.5 degrees of camber we could get to 7.7 degrees of caster. Camber correction was measured at 0 degrees of camber.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:34 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

35sport if you think it's "misinformation" then both SPL doesn't know what they're talking about and neither does Z1 when you call and talk to them...

What you showed is initial install of the arms. Do you think you install them as close as you can get and leave them like that? Hence the "set the arms to the factory fuca lengths".
Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Neither does SPL

Z1 Motorsports Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms feature an offset ball joint location in order to deliver an optimal caster increase. Increasing the amount of positive caster will increase steering effort and straight line tracking, as well as improve high speed stability and cornering effectiveness. Positive caster also increases camber when cornering as the steering angle is increased to keep your Z planted through hard corners.

**In addition to a slight increase in caster, they have an adjustable arm length to provide additional camber adjustment for stance or tracking for the serious motoring enthusiast.

Z1 Front Upper Control Arm (race) followup-uzdm2b9.jpg
Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 AM
007pipeline
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
hmm... seems i need to keep doing research on which ones to purchase..