Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Fortune Auto 500 AWD coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Fortune Auto 500 AWD coilover review

I have had these coilovers installed on my 2009 G37xS sedan for about two weeks now. As has been indicated in another thread, the packaging was excellent, and they appear to be a quality product. All the adjustments work well, the install was straight forward and nothing needed to be modified to fit. THMotorsports was great to work with, it just took a little longer than anyone planned to actually get this developed. But hey, I'd rather wait and it be right versus rushing out a crap product. So no complaints here.

I decided to get the Swift spring upgrade, had street valving and the rear adjustment extenders. 11kg/mm front, 8kg/mm rear spring rates.

Name:  78_zpsbdfc1d14.jpg
Views: 2923
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  80_zps65f7854b.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  70.6 KB

The OEM rear spring setup is a little different than other coilovers I have seen for our cars. The rear spring still sits in the OEM location, but there is an adapter that the spring sits in. Guess it was easier to develop as it appears to be the same type of spring that is used in a truecoilover (versus the bigger diameter OEM spring).

Name:  74_zps9ec6f917.jpg
Views: 4075
Size:  81.3 KB

I am still messing with the damping settings, and right now am about in the middle settings. So far it rides much better than my previous Swift lowering springs paired with OEM struts. I am lowered to about 26-1/2" all around measured from ground to top of the wheel well at the fenders. Ride is a smotth and a little firm, but none of the gut retching crashing on large bumps as before. Seems to be appropriate for a sport luxury sedan. Larger potholes will sometimes cause a bit of spring noise, but it isn't a bottoming out sort of sound that makes you cringe.

So I am very happy with this set up so far. Will see how they react as time goes on, and there will be the Chicago winter to deal with in a few months.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating this setup for your AWD G!

Name:  89_zpsfe083652.jpg
Views: 2662
Size:  150.4 KB

Last edited by Jethro; 08-03-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added spring rates
The following 15 users liked this post by Jethro:
afrayedknot (05-09-2019), bikezilla (07-11-2016), blnewt (07-24-2014), Coltrane1 (03-27-2017), dbeachy1 (07-16-2015), Dj1ofDet (12-01-2014), doublea88 (09-14-2014), jfisher (12-08-2015), kennyz424 (10-27-2016), LilRocket (03-05-2015), pmilliano (04-12-2016), RavensMinded00 (02-05-2016), SKTrainspotter (09-27-2014), Sylo (07-25-2014), VIVID (02-09-2016) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Looks great, nice to see a good coilover option for us AWD guys. I'm surprised you had such a bad experience with the swift springs, they have quite the following. I have eibach springs on my AWD coupe and I'd describe the ride similar to how you explained the coil setup, except no spring/damper noise. The ride is a bit more form than stock, but nothing overwhelming. Larger bumps are handled quite impressively. There is a noticeable bump, but the car doesn't feel as though it will fall apart by any stretch.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Thanks for putting this together Jethro, glad things seem to be working well.
Please post back after 5k miles or so and let us know how they're performing.
BTW, if you could post your Swift F&R spring rates that would also be good to know.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I was looking at gettin on the group buy for these but I just didn't have the funds at the time.

These sound great so far and I think I'll be doing th swift spring upgrade, +1 on your spring rates. I think I'll e looking to so these within the next six months, if your review stays true to all and stays that way over time I can see these being a big hit with the awd guys!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:34 AM
Sylo
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Jethro for the review, other than the slight spring noise over large potholes, is there the dreaded rear clunking noise like with BC and AMR coilovers?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 PM
MylilG

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome review Jethro. I concur. I have the exact same set up, except the extenders. The ride feels a lot different from stock. Feels firmer and doesn't squat when i punch it. Overall I'm happy with the coil overs. My wife usually drives this car so I haven't been able to really give it a good test and feel but so far so good. I also threw on some 20x10.5 ET35 all the way around wrapped in 275/30's while I was at it.

Name:  2d0b2ce6-0952-40a0-922e-fa6a1f239655.jpg
Views: 3008
Size:  123.2 KB
Old 08-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MylilG
Awesome review Jethro. I concur. I have the exact same set up, except the extenders. The ride feels a lot different from stock. Feels firmer and doesn't squat when i punch it. Overall I'm happy with the coil overs. My wife usually drives this car so I haven't been able to really give it a good test and feel but so far so good. I also threw on some 20x10.5 ET35 all the way around wrapped in 275/30's while I was at it.
Thanks MylilG. Your car looks great. Glad the coilovers worked out for you too.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Updated first post with the spring rates.

A slight update: Regarding the handling with these coilovers - Car definitely handles better than stock or with the Swift/OEM damper setup. Damping is controlled which makes you want to push the car a bit into turns, not like before were it felt like the car was a bit out of control and slowing down was required. Car changes direction well, haven't pushed it too far on the street (and won't) but am happy with the handling so far. BTW, I am still on OEM swaybars, so can't say how this compares to a G with aftermarket sways. But I don't need the best handling car, this is my sporty DD, and these coilovers fit that goal so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jethro:
blnewt (08-04-2014), Motoboat (08-04-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 07:09 AM
R37sedan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am very interested in hearing more from you 2 who are running 09 g37x, and 09 g37xS sedans with the "Fortune 500" coil overs. I am a multi-G35 6spd and g35x owner and modifier. Now I have a 09 G37xS sedan and I saw your posts and hope you can help me with some unknowns I have, first off did you need anything besides the coil overs to run your car lower, and why did you go with the fortune 500's instead of BC's? All I've focused on so far is getting the lowest 0-60 time with out taking the bottom end out for uprgrades so far and because I do a lot of hard high speed tight turn and heavy braking threw some 14" Akebono brakes on it and increased air flow and cooling so I don't hurt her because I am also running 400 past the factory rpm limit to keep it from needing shifted to 3rd since i have the 7 spd auto and have it set up to think it's in a higher altitude to keep it from detatation. So now I am interested in a few chassi stiffness modifications but before I do that I am debating running a progressive coil spring drop or coil overs. Does lowering the 09 g37xS require any other modifications to get a proper alignment? If I do swap wheels it would be for 18" TE37'S and if I have enough room to play with I would like to go to 18x9 inch wheels but basically I just want to know if I need adjustable arms or links to keep things nice and straight, that's all. Also one quick question specifically for Jethro, you saw your pics with the optional damper adjustment and I just wanted to be sure, you do still have to use the shock/strut wrenches to change your ride height though, correct? Thanks guys, and or ladies, I haven't checked out everyones names and stuff. Sorry. Names Charles, thanks for your time, hope you can help me decide which plan is best for me so I appreciate any advice, tips or whatever opinions you may have running the setup you are running. So thanks again.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:27 AM
MylilG

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I suggest you take a look at my old thread here https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...mber-kits.html . I was clueless to what I needed to do to make it possible for me to lower the car. After days of searching and reading, I was able to find out exactly what I needed to do to make it happen. Fortune Auto also sells the 510 series which are more for track use. I'm not 100% if they make those for the X. The 500's are of good quality and feel better than the stockers.

Is this a daily driver also? You might also want to look into sway bar and strut bar upgrades.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Originally Posted by R37sedan
why did you go with the fortune 500's instead of BC's?
Does lowering the 09 g37xS require any other modifications to get a proper alignment?
Jethro, you saw your pics with the optional damper adjustment and I just wanted to be sure, you do still have to use the shock/strut wrenches to change your ride height though, correct?
Hey Charles, the reason I didn't go with BC was because of all the reviews and problems with clunking and noise in the rear.

Depending how low you go, camber kits would be required. I have a front and rear set from SPC on my car.

Yes, you are correct, you need to use the wrenches to adjust the height. The rear is a little trickier to change because the spring and damper are not together.

Hope that helps, sounds like your cars have some nice work done to them!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sylo
Thanks Jethro for the review, other than the slight spring noise over large potholes, is there the dreaded rear clunking noise like with BC and AMR coilovers?
Sorry I missed your post, Sylo. Maybe I told you via PM. But none of that rear clunking noise is happening with these yet.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I may have to upgrade this winter. I feel like my car is underdampened and it is annoying and sometimes makes the car feel like it is out of control especially when there's a bump.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Small update: Have been driving the car a lot more due to a job change. Still no noises from the rear, and am still happy with the setup. Am still tweeking the damping settings, and haven't found a perfect setting yet, but it is mostly due to the terrible roads here in Chicago. I keep switching between a stiffer setting to improve handling vs a softer one so it rides better on the commute.

Anyone else have these installed yet? Feel free to add feedback here...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:53 PM
breezethru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any more updates on them, I'm looking at getting a set for my G35xs, its my daily and want to make sure they are the right ones for me.

Quick Reply: Review Fortune Auto 500 AWD coilover review