Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

OEM ipod connector not supplying power

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Jokelberry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question OEM ipod connector not supplying power

I have an 08 coupe, and bought a bluetooth adapter to go on the end of the oem ipod connector. problem is there is no power being put through to the adapter. I have tried plugging in an iphone 4 and an iphone 5 with the apple adapter and no luck. Also tried switching out the cords from another friends that works perfectly on his but not on mine. Tomorrow i plan on checking and making sure there is power and ground at the female connector in my center console. Anyone else had these issues/anyone know if this is a common problem with an easy fix? If all else fails i still have warranty, but its a $100 deductible to take it into the Infiniti dealership.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:43 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The ipod connector uses the older 12v supply. Only the ipod that used firewire charging will be able to charge on this connector. Such as ipod video and ipod classic 6th gen.

You can buy
adapters adapters
to lower the supply for modern ipod/itouch. This should work for your bluetooth too.

These adapters don't do well inside the center console from my experiences. I would tape the connector, adapter, and bluetooth adapter together to ensure a good fit and secure it so it doesn't move.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 AM
Jokelberry

Originally Posted by hechen507
The ipod connector uses the older 12v supply. Only the ipod that used firewire charging will be able to charge on this connector. Such as ipod video and ipod classic 6th gen.

You can buy adapters to lower the supply for modern ipod/itouch. This should work for your bluetooth too.

These adapters don't do well inside the center console from my experiences. I would tape the connector, adapter, and bluetooth adapter together to ensure a good fit and secure it so it doesn't move.
appreciate the info. What adapter do i need to buy. Or what should I google to get to the right adapter. Dont want to order something that isnt going to work.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:05 AM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jokelberry
appreciate the info. What adapter do i need to buy. Or what should I google to get to the right adapter. Dont want to order something that isnt going to work.
my bad i thought i had a link in there.

Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories

This is one of the more popular ones. You could search around for others as well.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Jestered
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an 08 coupe, and bought a bluetooth adapter to go on the end of the oem ipod connector. problem is there is no power being put through to the adapter. I have tried plugging in an iphone 4 and an iphone 5 with the apple adapter and no luck. Also tried switching out the cords from another friends that works perfectly on his but not on mine. Tomorrow i plan on checking and making sure there is power and ground at the female connector in my center console. Anyone else had these issues/anyone know if this is a common problem with an easy fix? If all else fails i still have warranty, but its a $100 deductible to take it into the Infiniti dealership.

Thanks for the help!
I also have an '08 G37S coupe and finally got this working last night. I'll save you a lot of time, money and frustration. I just went through this exact thing myself and spent a month buying things that did not work and almost gave up. I decided to give it one more shot and was able to get it working perfectly, so if I were you, and you really want bluetooth streaming, I would skip the testing/experimenting and go straight to what works.

I'll post links to all the stuff you need to buy at the end of this post.

First thing you need to do is determine what functionality you want out of the bluetooth adapter:

*If you don't want or care about having the playlists and song info on your nav screen, then you can experiment with different adapters. I don't think most of them will work. At least the few I tried would not work. Either they got no power, or they were not seen by my iPhone (even with a charge adapter). They worked perfectly fine inside the house, but would not work in the car connected to the factory iPod/iPhone cable. Ultimately, I wanted to see my playlists and song info on the nav screen, as well as be able to control it all through the nav screen and steering wheel controls, so I decided to stop trying with these different adapters. Because of this I can't tell you which will work or not.

*If you want to see all your info on the nav screen, and be able to control it from the nav screen and steering wheel, you'll need to get the Tune2Air bluetooth adapter. This works perfectly and the car acts just like it would if there was an iPod connected directly to the factory iPod cable. I can see all my info on the nav screen and can control it from the screen or from the steering wheel controls. This is the only adapter I've found that has the Apple protocol that will allow all of this. It's more expensive than the other adapters that don't have this functionality (if they work at all in the car), but it's worth it in my opinion. Keep in mind it does this because it's using Apple's protocol for displaying the song data on the screen. It will only work with iOS devices and not other devices. The other devices will work to stream over bluetooth, but won't show the song data on the screen unless it's an iPhone or iPod.

The next thing is getting the correct charge adapters. That's right, adapters, as in more than one. The charge adapters are doing the same thing, so why would you need two? I have no idea why a single charge adapter doesn't work, but it doesn't. You will need two different charge adapters. I've read a lot about charge adapters that don't work, and can confirm this, so I wouldn't experiment with other adapters and would go straight to what is known to work. You will need the Scosche PassPort charge adapter that was suggested by "hechen507" and the CableJive charge adapter. These will not work by themselves and must be used together to get this working.

From what I've read the charge adapters have to be connected in a certain order for this to work. I can confirm that it works the way I have them connected, but did not swap the charge adapters to see if it would work that way or not. I was so happy to finally get it working I did not care if it worked if they were swapped, and what does it matter anyway, so I didn't mess with it beyond that. Here's how I have mine connected and it works perfectly:

Factory iPod cable -> CableJive charge adapter -> Schosche PassPort charge adapter -> Tune2Air bluetooth adapter

The CableJive adapter has a micro USB port on the side of it. I read that you needed to connect a car cigarette micro USB cable to it to give more power, but I did not need it. Mine works perfectly fine without it and never skips or disconnects. If you have any issues you can always try using the external power to see if it helps, but I'm pretty sure you won't need it.

That's it!

The total cost is going to cost you $139.94 from Amazon at the time of this post. So you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to you or not. To me, it is/was. You can also experiment and hope you get lucky, but I went through that and wish I had known this at the beginning so I could have skipped that frustration.

Here's the stuff you need (all from Amazon):

Tune2Air bluetooth adapter Tune2Air bluetooth adapter
($89.00)

CableJive charge adapter CableJive charge adapter
($22.95)

Schosche Passport charge adapter Schosche Passport charge adapter
($27.99)

Last edited by Jestered; 02-04-2015 at 11:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jestered:
GFTW (09-19-2014), Zelf24 (06-11-2022)
Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
LOAF3
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, jesterd, the tune2air works just fine without needing to plug an adapter directly in the phone? I've got the whole schosche / 8 pin adapter plugging into the phone5 directly, if I use the tune2air Bluetooth is it going to charge the phone or no.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:51 PM
LOAF3
Registered Member

Not 8 pin, 30 pin I mean.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Jestered
Premier Member

Originally Posted by LOAF3
So, jesterd, the tune2air works just fine without needing to plug an adapter directly in the phone? I've got the whole schosche / 8 pin adapter plugging into the phone5 directly, if I use the tune2air Bluetooth is it going to charge the phone or no.
The Tune2Air adapter is a bluetooth adapter so you can stream music to the car stereo without plugging the phone into anything. It's all done over bluetooth and wirelessly. Since the phone isn't connected to any cable it will not charge. That's not the goal of this particular set up.

If you want to connect an iPhone 5 directly and hardwired, you'll need the Small Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter and a charge adapter. I've tested this with the Scoshce adapter that I linked to in the other post and it works fine with the Apple adapter to charge the phone. There are plenty reports stating that the Apple adapter that has an actual cable does not work, but the small Apple adapter works fine. This is what I used before getting the bluetooth setup working.

If you're wanting a hard-wired connection so the phone is recognized by the car and charges the phone, you need to use the factory iPod/iPhone cable with this adapter:

Apple adapter Apple adapter

and the Schosche adapter.

Again, keep in mind that the longer cable doesn't seem to work well, but the small one linked above works fine. Also, there are non-Apple branded adapters that look the same and they do not work, so make sure you get the Apple branded adapter.

If you're wanting to get bluetooth streaming working, then follow the instructions I posted earlier in this thread.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 PM
LOAF3
Registered Member

Gotcha. That's what I thought. I was thinking this tune2air could do all of the scosche charge / Bluetooth/ & connector to the phone , but wirelessly. Shoot, I'm always looking for new ideas.
I'm tired of plugging that car connector and all this adapters into my phone. I want wireless to do it all!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Jestered
Premier Member

Originally Posted by LOAF3
Gotcha. That's what I thought. I was thinking this tune2air could do all of the scosche charge / Bluetooth/ & connector to the phone , but wirelessly. Shoot, I'm always looking for new ideas.
I'm tired of plugging that car connector and all this adapters into my phone. I want wireless to do it all!
That's not even possible at this time. Apple would have to release a phone that has some sort of wireless charge capabilities. Then we'd have to hope for some third-party company to combine that with a bluetooth module in a 30 pin connector. That's doubtful to ever happen since the 30-pin connector is pretty much dead at this point.

Why not use the bluetooth setup I mentioned to get that all working wirelessly over bluetooth, then use a normal Apple Lightning cigarette port charger and keep that plugged into the cigarette port in the console? Then you could just plug in the phone whenever you need to charge it and not deal with it if you don't need to charge.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Jokelberry

Originally Posted by Jestered
I also have an '08 G37S coupe and finally got this working last night. I'll save you a lot of time, money and frustration. I just went through this exact thing myself and spent a month buying things that did not work and almost gave up. I decided to give it one more shot and was able to get it working perfectly, so if I were you, and you really want bluetooth streaming, I would skip the testing/experimenting and go straight to what works.

I'll post links to all the stuff you need to buy at the end of this post.

First thing you need to do is determine what functionality you want out of the bluetooth adapter:

*If you don't want or care about having the playlists and song info on your nav screen, then you can experiment with different adapters. I don't think most of them will work. At least the few I tried would not work. Either they got no power, or they were not seen by my iPhone (even with a charge adapter). They worked perfectly fine inside the house, but would not work in the car connected to the factory iPod/iPhone cable. Ultimately, I wanted to see my playlists and song info on the nav screen, as well as be able to control it all through the nav screen and steering wheel controls, so I decided to stop trying with these different adapters. Because of this I can't tell you which will work or not.

*If you want to see all your info on the nav screen, and be able to control it from the nav screen and steering wheel, you'll need to get the Tune2Air bluetooth adapter. This works perfectly and the car acts just like it would if there was an iPod connected directly to the factory iPod cable. I can see all my info on the nav screen and can control it from the screen or from the steering wheel controls. This is the only adapter I've found that has the Apple protocol that will allow all of this. It's more expensive than the other adapters that don't have this functionality (if they work at all in the car), but it's worth it in my opinion. Keep in mind it does this because it's using Apple's protocol for displaying the song data on the screen. It will only work with iOS devices and not other devices. The other devices will work to stream over bluetooth, but won't show the song data on the screen unless it's an iPhone or iPod.

The next thing is getting the correct charge adapters. That's right, adapters, as in more than one. The charge adapters are doing the same thing, so why would you need two? I have no idea why a single charge adapter doesn't work, but it doesn't. You will need two different charge adapters. I've read a lot about charge adapters that don't work, and can confirm this, so I wouldn't experiment with other adapters and would go straight to what is known to work. You will need the Scosche PassPort charge adapter that was suggested by "hechen507" and the CableJive charge adapter. These will not work by themselves and must be used together to get this working.

From what I've read the charge adapters have to be connected in a certain order for this to work. I can confirm that it works the way I have them connected, but did not swap the charge adapters to see if it would work that way or not. I was so happy to finally get it working I did not care if it worked if they were swapped, and what does it matter anyway, so I didn't mess with it beyond that. Here's how I have mine connected and it works perfectly:

Factory iPod cable -> CableJive charge adapter -> Schosche PassPort charge adapter -> Tune2Air bluetooth adapter

The CableJive adapter has a micro USB port on the side of it. I read that you needed to connect a car cigarette micro USB cable to it to give more power, but I did not need it. Mine works perfectly fine without it and never skips or disconnects. If you have any issues you can always try using the external power to see if it helps, but I'm pretty sure you won't need it.

That's it!

The total cost is going to cost you $139.94 from Amazon at the time of this post. So you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to you or not. To me, it is/was. You can also experiment and hope you get lucky, but I went through that and wish I had known this at the beginning so I could have skipped that frustration.

Here's the stuff you need (all from Amazon):

Tune2Air bluetooth adapter ($89.00)

CableJive charge adapter ($22.95)

Schosche Passport charge adapter ($27.99)
thank you!

the tune2air is what i have that isnt getting any power right now. ill order both the adapters you listed and see if that gets the trick done. Appreciate your time and write up!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Jestered
Premier Member

thank you!

the tune2air is what i have that isnt getting any power right now. ill order both the adapters you listed and see if that gets the trick done. Appreciate your time and write up!
Great! My Tune2Air wasn't getting any power at all until I used the two charge adapters I linked to. Once you get those it will work. Works great too! If you have any problems, just make sure that they're plugged in the same way I have them plugged in and you should be all set. Let us know the outcome once you get the charge adapters.

Last edited by Jestered; 08-11-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 AM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jestered

Hey Jestered!
I tried the set-up in this thread However, the screen stuck on "reading file" mode. Have you experienced this before? Thanks!

Did you have any luck with this set-up, Jokelberry?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:35 PM
chanu
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have read this works great with the idevices. Can someone help me, before i buy this setup, does it work well with the android? I mean do the steering wheel controls work and will the music information be displayed on the screen?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Jestered
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GFTW
Hey Jestered!
I tried the set-up in this thread

However, the screen stuck on "reading file" mode. Have you experienced this before? Thanks!
Nope! I never had, or have had that problem and I use it all the time. It looks like we're using the same stuff, except the one charge adapter is slightly different. I'm not sure that makes a difference, but you may want to try out the one that I'm using and not the dock adapter.

Originally Posted by chanu
From what I have read this works great with the idevices. Can someone help me, before i buy this setup, does it work well with the android? I mean do the steering wheel controls work and will the music information be displayed on the screen?
It should work with Android devices, but will not display the music information or be able to use steering wheel controls. The music information is being provided the same way the iOS devices do it, which is why the car can display it. Android devices don't do that, so it won't work. You'll be able to play music over bluetooth, but nothing else.

Quick Reply: OEM ipod connector not supplying power