MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires-307/)
-   -   Best All Season Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/284339-best-all-season-tires.html)

fennsta_78 09-14-2017 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4157485)
These cars don't have much negative camber. Toe-in is the tire-killer.

I'd say you know more about this than I. I have no other reason to understand why the car wears through them so quickly.

slartibartfast 09-14-2017 10:13 PM

I wonder if I saw your car in May? Maybe you saw mine? Was up visiting family. You really should have your toe checked.

Surfnazi 09-17-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by fennsta_78 (Post 4157845)
I'd say you know more about this than I. I have no other reason to understand why the car wears through them so quickly.

Align the car and pill toe as close go 0 middle

ezbme 09-26-2017 08:17 PM

There are so many people who have all-season that don't need it. It should almost be a special order in SoCal. If you head for the mountains and it is snowing, you probably need chains, or Winter Studded Tires. I had some General Exclaims and they were considered All Season, I didn't really consider them like that.

I just need Summer tires. Summer Tires handle Dry and Rain better than All-Season. All-Season is for those who will be in Under 45 degree weather on a regular occasion. Many of the All-Seasons don't even look like they would be that great in the snow or ice.

Michelin Improved the AS3 for Snow and Ice, before they were much more like a Summer tire. If you want something that can handle a cold weather and light ice, I would say the Bridgestone or Continental DWS06. If you need something like that. Look at a DWS06 and try to find a tread that resembles that pattern.

Otherwise, you are basically getting a Summer Tire, with larger space between tread and a Cold Weather Compound.

future62 09-27-2017 09:29 AM

Not sure what your issue is... even down here in NC we have several weeks of the year close to or below freezing. How hard are people driving on the street that the ~0.1g of grip between an A/S and summer tire makes a meaningful difference?

iddqd 09-29-2017 03:04 PM

My rear tread on mine are around 3 right now on my g37 coupe journey w/sport pckg. I'm looking to just go ahead and replace all four since they appear to be the oem tires (I bought it at 33k miles).

Living in Atlanta, would you guys recommend just getting performance summer tires? Snow is pretty rare here.

Thanks for your advice!

bPChaos 09-29-2017 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ezbme (Post 4159906)
There are so many people who have all-season that don't need it. It should almost be a special order in SoCal. If you head for the mountains and it is snowing, you probably need chains, or Winter Studded Tires. I had some General Exclaims and they were considered All Season, I didn't really consider them like that.

I just need Summer tires. Summer Tires handle Dry and Rain better than All-Season. All-Season is for those who will be in Under 45 degree weather on a regular occasion. Many of the All-Seasons don't even look like they would be that great in the snow or ice.

Michelin Improved the AS3 for Snow and Ice, before they were much more like a Summer tire. If you want something that can handle a cold weather and light ice, I would say the Bridgestone or Continental DWS06. If you need something like that. Look at a DWS06 and try to find a tread that resembles that pattern.

Otherwise, you are basically getting a Summer Tire, with larger space between tread and a Cold Weather Compound.

I think a lot of it comes down to longevity as well - all seasons typically exhibit higher treadwear numbers and softer ride, which would factor in, despite never needing to see old weather or snow. I would say that most people don't care for a tire that's only good for 25k-30k miles, which costs just as much, if not more, that they won't ever fully utilize.

That being said, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and use a 200tw track tire because I'm currently too lazy to change my wheels. Your mileage may vary.

blnewt 09-30-2017 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by iddqd (Post 4160403)
My rear tread on mine are around 3 right now on my g37 coupe journey w/sport pckg. I'm looking to just go ahead and replace all four since they appear to be the oem tires (I bought it at 33k miles).

Living in Atlanta, would you guys recommend just getting performance summer tires? Snow is pretty rare here.

Thanks for your advice!

I'd go with quality summer tires, tirerack.com is a great place to shop, they have good reviews for almost all the tires they sell, they list all current rebates that are offered, ship quickly, and have great customer service.

Bridgestone S0-4 Pole Position, Continental Extreme Contact Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are all top rated tires, if your budget is smaller the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo & Kumho Ecsta PS91 perform well for their price point.

iddqd 09-30-2017 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4160555)
I'd go with quality summer tires, tirerack.com is a great place to shop, they have good reviews for almost all the tires they sell, they list all current rebates that are offered, ship quickly, and have great customer service.

Bridgestone S0-4 Pole Position, Continental Extreme Contact Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are all top rated tires, if your budget is smaller the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo & Kumho Ecsta PS91 perform well for their price point.

Thanks blnewt! I'm browsing through there right now. I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Potenza s-04 pole position after reading through the reviews. I'll look through the others as well. Thanks for pointing out this site. :biggthumpup:

davison0976 12-02-2017 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mathnerd88 (Post 4153902)
I've had the DWS06 for a month now, and I realize that the DWS06, although a better tire than the OEM Goodyear, loses a little bit more steering response. The steering does feel a bit mushy (like a boat feel.)

I wish I'd have gotten the Pilot A/S 3+ instead, but I can't complain since I got the DWS06 for $460 installed for all 4. I would not buy them if they were more than $125 each.

The DWS06 also does not have a rim protector for the OEM 17inch wheels.

Same here. Had Continental DWS06 installed coming from Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S on 18" diameter wheels and my G37 feels like a boat now. Completely different driving dynamics. Feels like I am driving Lincoln Continental senior citizen edition. If you wiggle steering wheel at speeds 45+mph rear wiggles so much it seems it will break loose.

There is a huge flaw in those ratings at TireRack. There is no Performance category rating, where I would give 2 at best to the DWS06 tires. Wish I went with either OEM again or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

I think because DWS06's relatively low price point a lot of people who get these are coming from lower market segment tires and have never experienced a good true Ultra High Performance tire before.

Victory 12-02-2017 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by davison0976 (Post 4171173)
Same here. Had Continental DWS06 installed coming from Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S on 18" diameter wheels and my G37 feels like a boat now. Completely different driving dynamics. Feels like I am driving Lincoln Continental senior citizen edition. If you wiggle steering wheel at speeds 45+mph rear wiggles so much it seems it will break loose.

i have the general gmax AS05, which is made by continental and has a similar feel to the DWS. I had a similar feeling when I put them on, so i increased from 35psi to 38psi and problem solved. Still a great ride, but much more responsive

TBH, I prefer the better ride over a pure performance tire. Who wants to break their back for the 3 times a year you find a fun road and arent stuck behind some assdragger?

slartibartfast 12-02-2017 02:50 PM

Michelin PSS won't break your back.

Victory 12-02-2017 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4171211)
Michelin PSS won't break your back.

They're nice tires, but this is a thread about all-season tires.

davison0976 12-02-2017 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Victory (Post 4171195)
i have the general gmax AS05, which is made by continental and has a similar feel to the DWS. I had a similar feeling when I put them on, so i increased from 35psi to 38psi and problem solved. Still a great ride, but much more responsive

TBH, I prefer the better ride over a pure performance tire. Who wants to break their back for the 3 times a year you find a fun road and arent stuck behind some assdragger?

Good point on increasing psi to 35-38, and still within the tire spec which I believe lists max psi at 65. Door sticker on my G37 indicates 33psi which appears to be a bit too low for DWS06 to perform well.

Victory 12-02-2017 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by davison0976 (Post 4171219)
Good point on increasing psi to 35-38, and still within the tire spec which I believe lists max psi at 65. Door sticker on my G37 indicates 33psi which appears to be a bit too low for DWS06 to perform well.

max psi spec for performance passenger car tires is usually 44 or 51psi cold. You'll probably find the sweet spot somewhere between 36 and 40psi.

The load and max pressure rating for your current tire is probably different than the OEM one. To find a rough starting point for tire inflation, use the calculation i'm about to demonstrate for the factory 225/55r17 RSA's.

First, take the GVWR and divide by 4 tires (we're not gonna go overboard with weight distribution and so forth as these cars are fairly balanced)

4656/4=1164

next, find the max load and max PSI for your tires. for the RSA's, it's 1521lbs@44psi

1164/1521=0.765

44*0.765=33.66psi <---Hence the door sticker

Now lets look at the DWS06 rated at 1609lbs@51psi

1164/1609=0.723

51*0.723=36.87psi <---Why this tire feels super soft at 33psi. It's actually under-inflated.