MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires-307/)
-   -   Best All Season Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/284339-best-all-season-tires.html)

steelers123 08-23-2017 09:56 AM

Best All Season Tires

Hello,

I know they're a lot of threads on this topic, but a lot of them seem to be more than 2 years old. So figured I'd start a new thread....I currently own a 2013 G37X Sport with 32,000 miles on it, and it's unfortunately time for a tire change. I live up in the Northeast; so I need a good ALL SEASON tire. What I'm looking for is a solid tire that has longevity, that feels smooth, but also looks nice as well which is a huge plus!

Thanks for any replies and help!

Ryne 08-23-2017 09:58 AM

Continental DWS or DWS06

ryanwhite74115 08-23-2017 10:11 AM

Michelin Pilot A/S 3+
Continental DWS06

steelers123 08-23-2017 11:00 AM

Thanks for the responses fellows. I'm going to go with either of those tires. Much appreciated!!!

nfsG37 08-23-2017 11:52 AM

I just replaced the Goodyear Eagle RSA's with the Continental DWS06 about 1 week ago. So far, I'm impressed with the tires. There is considerably less road noise/feedback with the Continental tires. Pavement imperfections/smaller bumps are less noticeable now than before.

steelers123 08-23-2017 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by nfsG37 (Post 4153860)
I just replaced the Goodyear Eagle RSA's with the Continental DWS06 about 1 week ago. So far, I'm impressed with the tires. There is considerably less road noise/feedback with the Continental tires. Pavement imperfections/smaller bumps are less noticeable now than before.

Thanks! I am looking into the Continentals as we speak!

c1utchh 08-23-2017 01:23 PM

I live in NYC, The roads here are swiss cheese mixed with honey hive constructions, in other words god awful when the roads are there and even after repair. I'm already shopping for Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ with Xl load to make for a smoother ride on coils.

Personally right now I'm running Michelin PS4s XL and I love them, handling is great, the ride is smooth, over bumps there is not a lot of damage risk. Each company or brand is more of a preference to how you drive, how frequently do you drive, as well as the conditions your tires experience on a daily basis. Some may say, Michelin or Dunlop or Continental. Personally I felt Michelin was the better fit for myself.

theycallmejag 08-23-2017 01:25 PM

I live near Philly (originally from NYC) and swapped the stock tires for a set of P Zero A/S Plus and absolutely love them, great grip and handle various weather conditions beautifully. I was originally looking at Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as well but ended up going for the P Zeros since they happened to be on sale and have loved them since :)

steelers123 08-23-2017 01:29 PM

Thanks for the info Jag! I'll look into them.

mathnerd88 08-23-2017 01:38 PM

I've had the DWS06 for a month now, and I realize that the DWS06, although a better tire than the OEM Goodyear, loses a little bit more steering response. The steering does feel a bit mushy (like a boat feel.)

I wish I'd have gotten the Pilot A/S 3+ instead, but I can't complain since I got the DWS06 for $460 installed for all 4. I would not buy them if they were more than $125 each.

The DWS06 also does not have a rim protector for the OEM 17inch wheels.

steelers123 08-23-2017 01:56 PM

Mathnerd,

Thanks for the response. I'll take that into consideration for sure.

Ricio1991 08-23-2017 03:19 PM

I just ordered some Dunlop Signature HP all seasons from tire rack! One of Best Seller of there website for 86 a tire closeout and 50 dollar rebate on a closeout sale! I ordered for the stock sedan base wheels 17in! Came out to 406 shipped to AZ! Check them out great reviews on them

slartibartfast 08-23-2017 03:29 PM

If you don't experience snow then you're shooting yourself in the foot buying all-season tires. Performance summer tires are better in the wet.

hdk703 08-23-2017 03:57 PM

Actually getting tires today, went with General AS-05, hope these aren't too bad...I guess they're a brand under Continental?

blnewt 08-23-2017 09:19 PM

Here's the most current rating chart on UHP All Seasons at Tirerack.com, definitely give the BFG Comp2s a look as well~
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...AS&sortValue=1

Rollo 08-23-2017 09:23 PM

I have had the dws06 in the staggered 19 size for over 25k miles now and they are a really good tire. I have Pilot AS/3s on my bmw coupe. The DWS don't have the turn in or cornering feel of the Michelins but their resistance to hydroplaning is much better....Michelins are 225 in front and 255s in rear.

Both have great wet traction. The DWS are wearing more slowly as well, and they were cheaper than the Michelins. I am sticking with them for now...just switched to a square set up with 4 DWS in 245/40 19s.

rm2342 08-30-2017 03:42 PM

I'm currently looking for a/s tires. I've had the DWS for a few years and they are toast. I have to say they were probably the best winter/snow/rain tire ever and relatively ok in summer conditions.

Economically speaking what do folks recommend for snow/hydroplane resistance with good turn in?

Town Fair tire is trying to sell me Toyo Spectrum HP for 119/tire. Never heard much of them and don't want to make a mistake due to lower price.

blnewt 08-30-2017 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by rm2342 (Post 4155225)
I'm currently looking for a/s tires. I've had the DWS for a few years and they are toast. I have to say they were probably the best winter/snow/rain tire ever and relatively ok in summer conditions.

Economically speaking what do folks recommend for snow/hydroplane resistance with good turn in?

Town Fair tire is trying to sell me Toyo Spectrum HP for 119/tire. Never heard much of them and don't want to make a mistake due to lower price.

Top 3 A/S tires are the Michelin Pilot A/S, Conti DWS 06 and the BFG SportComp 2 A/S, the BFGs might be a biut less so that would be worth a look, I'd imagine those are all significantly better than those Toyos. Toyo makes plenty of quality tires but haven't heard of them, here's the Toyo site, they aren't listed there so they may be a store specific model (like only sold through Discount Tire or something similar).
https://www.toyotires.com/

SteveS 09-01-2017 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ryne (Post 4153836)
Continental DWS or DWS06

I second these.. The DWS 06 is better than two year back DWS..
They do real well in the Colorado snow.. I had them on my previous cars, my son will have them on his and they are about to go on the G for this year's winter..

Surfnazi 09-10-2017 05:36 PM

I liked the toyo proxes

blnewt 09-10-2017 10:55 PM

I had Toyo Proxes 4 Plus All Seasons a couple years back, not a bad tire, especially if you deal with freezing temps a lot.

future62 09-11-2017 09:50 AM

I had DWS06s on my Civic for about a year and a half and I just threw a set of 255/40R19s on all corners of the G. Still getting used to them on the G, but on the Civic they were so good. I could take corners in the wet at like 95% the speeds I did in the dry. Steering feedback is very crisp and communicative as well. And they seem to wear slowly. Can't complain at all.

fennsta_78 09-11-2017 08:12 PM

In the 100K miles I have put on my G I'm getting tires tomorrow for the 3rd time. Started with Goodyear Eagle GT's and go 30K on them. Replaced with Cinturato P7+ AS as I was doing mostly interstate driving. Got 1/2 the mileage they were supposed to get. Been on a Conti Control contact sport AS (Direct tire house tire) and got 1/2 rated mileage out of them. Replacing tomorrow with Goodyear Assym AS tires. We'll see. I refuse to spring for the AS/3 at this point in the car's life though everything I read they truly are superior.

future62 09-12-2017 08:14 AM

What are your alignment specs like? Are you lowered?

fennsta_78 09-12-2017 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by future62 (Post 4157326)
What are your alignment specs like? Are you lowered?

Stock. I don't mess with the car.

blnewt 09-12-2017 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by fennsta_78 (Post 4157338)
Stock. I don't mess with the car.

I'd still get your alignment checked, getting poor tread life is a sign that something there may have shifted.

I have the same Conti Conti-Sports from Discount Tire on our Maxima and they are wearing really well.

future62 09-12-2017 01:37 PM

Been pretty rainy here and the DWS06s are as brilliant as ever. The grip is unreal.

Surfnazi 09-12-2017 03:51 PM

I aligned my car 6 months into owning it with 7 miles on it the toe was off by a good amount once I pulled the toe camber aligned dead middle along with toe

fennsta_78 09-12-2017 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4157342)
I'd still get your alignment checked, getting poor tread life is a sign that something there may have shifted.

I have the same Conti Conti-Sports from Discount Tire on our Maxima and they are wearing really well.

I get it checked every 3rd oil change or ~15K miles. Adjusted when needed but it has been some time since it was really towed out.

I think the negative camber on these cars just chews them up faster. I have no specific evidence to validate that though.

slartibartfast 09-13-2017 01:20 AM

These cars don't have much negative camber. Toe-in is the tire-killer.

fennsta_78 09-14-2017 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4157485)
These cars don't have much negative camber. Toe-in is the tire-killer.

I'd say you know more about this than I. I have no other reason to understand why the car wears through them so quickly.

slartibartfast 09-14-2017 10:13 PM

I wonder if I saw your car in May? Maybe you saw mine? Was up visiting family. You really should have your toe checked.

Surfnazi 09-17-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by fennsta_78 (Post 4157845)
I'd say you know more about this than I. I have no other reason to understand why the car wears through them so quickly.

Align the car and pill toe as close go 0 middle

ezbme 09-26-2017 08:17 PM

There are so many people who have all-season that don't need it. It should almost be a special order in SoCal. If you head for the mountains and it is snowing, you probably need chains, or Winter Studded Tires. I had some General Exclaims and they were considered All Season, I didn't really consider them like that.

I just need Summer tires. Summer Tires handle Dry and Rain better than All-Season. All-Season is for those who will be in Under 45 degree weather on a regular occasion. Many of the All-Seasons don't even look like they would be that great in the snow or ice.

Michelin Improved the AS3 for Snow and Ice, before they were much more like a Summer tire. If you want something that can handle a cold weather and light ice, I would say the Bridgestone or Continental DWS06. If you need something like that. Look at a DWS06 and try to find a tread that resembles that pattern.

Otherwise, you are basically getting a Summer Tire, with larger space between tread and a Cold Weather Compound.

future62 09-27-2017 09:29 AM

Not sure what your issue is... even down here in NC we have several weeks of the year close to or below freezing. How hard are people driving on the street that the ~0.1g of grip between an A/S and summer tire makes a meaningful difference?

iddqd 09-29-2017 03:04 PM

My rear tread on mine are around 3 right now on my g37 coupe journey w/sport pckg. I'm looking to just go ahead and replace all four since they appear to be the oem tires (I bought it at 33k miles).

Living in Atlanta, would you guys recommend just getting performance summer tires? Snow is pretty rare here.

Thanks for your advice!

bPChaos 09-29-2017 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ezbme (Post 4159906)
There are so many people who have all-season that don't need it. It should almost be a special order in SoCal. If you head for the mountains and it is snowing, you probably need chains, or Winter Studded Tires. I had some General Exclaims and they were considered All Season, I didn't really consider them like that.

I just need Summer tires. Summer Tires handle Dry and Rain better than All-Season. All-Season is for those who will be in Under 45 degree weather on a regular occasion. Many of the All-Seasons don't even look like they would be that great in the snow or ice.

Michelin Improved the AS3 for Snow and Ice, before they were much more like a Summer tire. If you want something that can handle a cold weather and light ice, I would say the Bridgestone or Continental DWS06. If you need something like that. Look at a DWS06 and try to find a tread that resembles that pattern.

Otherwise, you are basically getting a Summer Tire, with larger space between tread and a Cold Weather Compound.

I think a lot of it comes down to longevity as well - all seasons typically exhibit higher treadwear numbers and softer ride, which would factor in, despite never needing to see old weather or snow. I would say that most people don't care for a tire that's only good for 25k-30k miles, which costs just as much, if not more, that they won't ever fully utilize.

That being said, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and use a 200tw track tire because I'm currently too lazy to change my wheels. Your mileage may vary.

blnewt 09-30-2017 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by iddqd (Post 4160403)
My rear tread on mine are around 3 right now on my g37 coupe journey w/sport pckg. I'm looking to just go ahead and replace all four since they appear to be the oem tires (I bought it at 33k miles).

Living in Atlanta, would you guys recommend just getting performance summer tires? Snow is pretty rare here.

Thanks for your advice!

I'd go with quality summer tires, tirerack.com is a great place to shop, they have good reviews for almost all the tires they sell, they list all current rebates that are offered, ship quickly, and have great customer service.

Bridgestone S0-4 Pole Position, Continental Extreme Contact Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are all top rated tires, if your budget is smaller the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo & Kumho Ecsta PS91 perform well for their price point.

iddqd 09-30-2017 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4160555)
I'd go with quality summer tires, tirerack.com is a great place to shop, they have good reviews for almost all the tires they sell, they list all current rebates that are offered, ship quickly, and have great customer service.

Bridgestone S0-4 Pole Position, Continental Extreme Contact Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are all top rated tires, if your budget is smaller the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo & Kumho Ecsta PS91 perform well for their price point.

Thanks blnewt! I'm browsing through there right now. I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Potenza s-04 pole position after reading through the reviews. I'll look through the others as well. Thanks for pointing out this site. :biggthumpup:

davison0976 12-02-2017 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mathnerd88 (Post 4153902)
I've had the DWS06 for a month now, and I realize that the DWS06, although a better tire than the OEM Goodyear, loses a little bit more steering response. The steering does feel a bit mushy (like a boat feel.)

I wish I'd have gotten the Pilot A/S 3+ instead, but I can't complain since I got the DWS06 for $460 installed for all 4. I would not buy them if they were more than $125 each.

The DWS06 also does not have a rim protector for the OEM 17inch wheels.

Same here. Had Continental DWS06 installed coming from Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S on 18" diameter wheels and my G37 feels like a boat now. Completely different driving dynamics. Feels like I am driving Lincoln Continental senior citizen edition. If you wiggle steering wheel at speeds 45+mph rear wiggles so much it seems it will break loose.

There is a huge flaw in those ratings at TireRack. There is no Performance category rating, where I would give 2 at best to the DWS06 tires. Wish I went with either OEM again or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

I think because DWS06's relatively low price point a lot of people who get these are coming from lower market segment tires and have never experienced a good true Ultra High Performance tire before.

Victory 12-02-2017 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by davison0976 (Post 4171173)
Same here. Had Continental DWS06 installed coming from Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S on 18" diameter wheels and my G37 feels like a boat now. Completely different driving dynamics. Feels like I am driving Lincoln Continental senior citizen edition. If you wiggle steering wheel at speeds 45+mph rear wiggles so much it seems it will break loose.

i have the general gmax AS05, which is made by continental and has a similar feel to the DWS. I had a similar feeling when I put them on, so i increased from 35psi to 38psi and problem solved. Still a great ride, but much more responsive

TBH, I prefer the better ride over a pure performance tire. Who wants to break their back for the 3 times a year you find a fun road and arent stuck behind some assdragger?

slartibartfast 12-02-2017 02:50 PM

Michelin PSS won't break your back.

Victory 12-02-2017 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4171211)
Michelin PSS won't break your back.

They're nice tires, but this is a thread about all-season tires.

davison0976 12-02-2017 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Victory (Post 4171195)
i have the general gmax AS05, which is made by continental and has a similar feel to the DWS. I had a similar feeling when I put them on, so i increased from 35psi to 38psi and problem solved. Still a great ride, but much more responsive

TBH, I prefer the better ride over a pure performance tire. Who wants to break their back for the 3 times a year you find a fun road and arent stuck behind some assdragger?

Good point on increasing psi to 35-38, and still within the tire spec which I believe lists max psi at 65. Door sticker on my G37 indicates 33psi which appears to be a bit too low for DWS06 to perform well.

Victory 12-02-2017 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by davison0976 (Post 4171219)
Good point on increasing psi to 35-38, and still within the tire spec which I believe lists max psi at 65. Door sticker on my G37 indicates 33psi which appears to be a bit too low for DWS06 to perform well.

max psi spec for performance passenger car tires is usually 44 or 51psi cold. You'll probably find the sweet spot somewhere between 36 and 40psi.

The load and max pressure rating for your current tire is probably different than the OEM one. To find a rough starting point for tire inflation, use the calculation i'm about to demonstrate for the factory 225/55r17 RSA's.

First, take the GVWR and divide by 4 tires (we're not gonna go overboard with weight distribution and so forth as these cars are fairly balanced)

4656/4=1164

next, find the max load and max PSI for your tires. for the RSA's, it's 1521lbs@44psi

1164/1521=0.765

44*0.765=33.66psi <---Hence the door sticker

Now lets look at the DWS06 rated at 1609lbs@51psi

1164/1609=0.723

51*0.723=36.87psi <---Why this tire feels super soft at 33psi. It's actually under-inflated.

ezbme 12-02-2017 04:52 PM

I used to have the old DWS, I think those were worse. I brought them to 38 or 40. The new PZero# seem to be a good compromise esp if you have snow. I can't imagine that the AS/3+ are decent in the snow.

slartibartfast 12-02-2017 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Victory (Post 4171213)
They're nice tires, but this is a thread about all-season tires.

It was claimed that hi-po summer tires ride hard. I was responding to that.

Victory 12-02-2017 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4171244)
It was claimed that hi-po summer tires ride hard. I was responding to that.

That wasn't my claim.

slartibartfast 12-02-2017 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Victory (Post 4171195)

You certainly implied it here.

Victory 12-02-2017 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4171247)

The implication was that tires that prioritize performance over ride comfort...prioritize performance over ride comfort.

future62 12-02-2017 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4171247)

I think he was talking about having to change tires. I agree, it's a needless hassle for a street driven car.

I don't mind the steering response with my DWS06s but I am on 255/40R19s. Car is a good bit grippier and more responsive than on the garbage Nexen N5000s the car came with, even on coilovers.

davison0976 12-02-2017 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Victory (Post 4171224)
max psi spec for performance passenger car tires is usually 44 or 51psi cold. You'll probably find the sweet spot somewhere between 36 and 40psi.

The load and max pressure rating for your current tire is probably different than the OEM one. To find a rough starting point for tire inflation, use the calculation i'm about to demonstrate for the factory 225/55r17 RSA's.

First, take the GVWR and divide by 4 tires (we're not gonna go overboard with weight distribution and so forth as these cars are fairly balanced)

4656/4=1164

next, find the max load and max PSI for your tires. for the RSA's, it's 1521lbs@44psi

1164/1521=0.765

44*0.765=33.66psi <---Hence the door sticker

Now lets look at the DWS06 rated at 1609lbs@51psi

1164/1609=0.723

51*0.723=36.87psi <---Why this tire feels super soft at 33psi. It's actually under-inflated.

Pretty cool concept, although if calculated for OEM tires (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S - 225/50R18) the

implied psi = (GVWR/4) * MaxPsi / MaxLoad = (4846 lbs / 4) * 51 psi / 1477 lbs = 41.8 psi

while the door sticker says 33 psi. That would mean that road contact patch,

@33psi: 1212 lbs / 33psi = 36.7 sq in
@42psi: 1212 lbs / 42psi = 29.0 sq in (21 % smaller)

If length of the contact patch for OEM tire/psi spec is 36.7 sq in / 8" (OEM tread width) = 4.6", and I want to preserve that measure on DWS06 then

implied psi = 1212 lbs / (4.6" x 7.6" (DWS06 tread width)) = 34.7 psi

Therefore, could 35 psi for DWS06 be more appropriate?

Truth is, I personally don't even think DWS06 should be in the Ultra High Performance category. Granted it may be ultra high in dry, wet and snow traction, but definitely not in performance.

If comfort is a top priority why not go with a good touring tire which is good in dry, wet and snow? If Continental embarks on creating a performance tire then performance is what it should be. Otherwise it's nothing short of a deceptive marketing.

ezbme 12-03-2017 12:04 AM

As far as I know, they don't even sell the DW or DWS line in Europe. It is a lower line that sells here. I can't think of a Ultra A/S that they sell in Europe and here.

Victory 12-03-2017 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by davison0976 (Post 4171274)
Pretty cool concept, although if calculated for OEM tires (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S - 225/50R18) the

implied psi = (GVWR/4) * MaxPsi / MaxLoad = (4846 lbs / 4) * 51 psi / 1477 lbs = 41.8 psi

while the door sticker says 33 psi. That would mean that road contact patch,

@33psi: 1212 lbs / 33psi = 36.7 sq in
@42psi: 1212 lbs / 42psi = 29.0 sq in (21 % smaller)

If length of the contact patch for OEM tire/psi spec is 36.7 sq in / 8" (OEM tread width) = 4.6", and I want to preserve that measure on DWS06 then

implied psi = 1212 lbs / (4.6" x 7.6" (DWS06 tread width)) = 34.7 psi

Therefore, could 35 psi for DWS06 be more appropriate?

That contact patch calculation is a bit too simplistic. maybe it would work if you were running on straight inner-tubes without any sort of structure.

Little math heavy, but this explains how calculating contact patch isn't so simple Tire Contact Patch | Lowering Pressure Gain Traction

davison0976 12-03-2017 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Victory (Post 4171279)
That contact patch calculation is a bit too simplistic. maybe it would work if you were running on straight inner-tubes without any sort of structure.

Little math heavy, but this explains how calculating contact patch isn't so simple Tire Contact Patch | Lowering Pressure Gain Traction

You must had missed 7th grade when Pythagoras's Theorem is introduced to call that material not so simple and math heavy.

I am comparing identical size tires and approximation I am using is closer than rounding 34.7 to 35.

Victory 12-03-2017 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by davison0976 (Post 4171284)
You must had missed 7th grade when Pythagoras's Theorem is introduced to call that material not so simple and math heavy.

I am comparing identical size tires and approximation I am using is closer than rounding 34.7 to 35.

I think the only way for you to be sure here is to chalk the tires.

davison0976 12-03-2017 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Victory (Post 4171285)
I think the only way for you to be sure here is to chalk the tires.

Hey Victory, you are a knowledgeable guy. I am considering exercising my Continental tire warranty to replace DWS06 with another set of Continental tires. I was just going over the warranty materials and I still have 45 days to do that. Do you know of another Continental tire which will give me similar strength sidewall as Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S? Will much appreciate your point of view.

Victory 12-03-2017 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by davison0976 (Post 4171289)
Hey Victory, you are a knowledgeable guy. I am considering exercising my Continental tire warranty to replace DWS06 with another set of Continental tires. I was just going over the warranty materials and I still have 45 days to do that. Do you know of another Continental tire which will give me similar strength sidewall as Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S? Will much appreciate your point of view.

It occurs to me that calculation i wrote down a long time ago is missing something since you couldn't repeat it across the board. Actually, it doesn't make a ton of sense considering passenger tires achieve their max load rating at 35 or 36psi...maybe this was something conveyed to me about truck tires? Either way, a little extra pressure definitely has a positive effect on handling.

i'm not too knowledgeable about specific tires that i haven't researched for my own ride. I'd suppose one of their summer tires might be stiffer, though i wouldn't run summer tires in december in NJ

davison0976 12-03-2017 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Victory (Post 4171290)
It occurs to me that calculation i wrote down a long time ago is missing something since you couldn't repeat it across the board. Actually, it doesn't make a ton of sense considering passenger tires achieve their max load rating at 35 or 36psi...maybe this was something conveyed to me about truck tires? Either way, a little extra pressure definitely has a positive effect on handling.

i'm not too knowledgeable about specific tires that i haven't researched for my own ride. I'd suppose one of their summer tires might be stiffer, though i wouldn't run summer tires in december in NJ

Thank you for suggesting higher pressure in the first place. Pumped the DWS06 tires this morning to 35psi and steering feels much better, while the ride is still very comfortable.

Coltrane1 12-08-2017 07:22 PM

I'm trying to decide whether to choose the Conti DSW 06 or the Mich PS AS3+ for the family G35 sedan.

Both are rated best in snow, which is a possibility in the NW. From users here who seem high on them I'm very curious about the DSW 06. There's only an $80 difference between the set

Coltrane1 12-09-2017 07:59 PM

Okay, just ordered a set of Conti DSW 06's. Bring on the snow so I can test them out on the Mrs. 08 G35x sedan! I'm curious to see what 'all the fuss is about' for these Conti's. I was curious about the Bridgestone Potenza RE970's too, but reports suggest they don't do so well in snow.

blnewt 12-09-2017 10:46 PM

Look forward to your feedback, those latest Contis are at the top of the heap in the All Season category and their Summers are right up there too!

Calg37USMC 12-10-2017 01:41 AM

BF Goodrich comp 2 have treated me well.

Coltrane1 12-29-2017 04:46 PM

So I purchased the Conti DSW 06's for our G35x sedan, which is stock aside from a set of duckfeet w/ 225 50 18's, a swap from our lowered G37 sedan.

Returning home from the install at our local Discount Tire, I drove in the heaviest rain I'd seen in many many years. But even with new tires the Conti's exuded total confidence, so much so the tire performed as if it thought it was sunny and 90 degrees outside. There were only 2 cars, myself and another, braving the fast lane what for me was a 30 mile drive home.

So far I've driven the Conti's in both black ice and light snow. They've handled as well as anyone would expect in such conditions.

I'm high on this tire thus far, and am considering them as a replacement for the Nitto Invo's on the lowered G37.

Calg37USMC 12-30-2017 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Coltrane1 (Post 4174850)
So I purchased the Conti DSW 06's for our G35x sedan, which is stock aside from a set of duckfeet w/ 225 50 18's, a swap from our lowered G37 sedan.

Returning home from the install at our local Discount Tire, I drove in the heaviest rain I'd seen in many many years. But even with new tires the Conti's exuded total confidence, so much so the tire performed as if it thought it was sunny and 90 degrees outside. There were only 2 cars, myself and another, braving the fast lane what for me was a 30 mile drive home.

So far I've driven the Conti's in both black ice and light snow. They've handled as well as anyone would expect in such conditions.

I'm high on this tire thus far, and am considering them as a replacement for the Nitto Invo's on the lowered G37.

This rain here has been crazy... ready for summer already.

future62 12-30-2017 08:46 AM

I could take turns in the wet at like 95% of dry speeds in my Civic + DWS06s

My G's limits are so high I have never pushed that hard on the street.

davison0976 01-03-2018 11:28 PM

I have finally managed to drive DWS 06's in the snow. The tires offer superb handling no question about it.

Coltrane1 01-07-2018 10:06 PM

It's good to see my experiences of the DWS 06's are experienced elsewhere. Great 'all season' tire!

Coltrane1 01-23-2018 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Calg37USMC (Post 4174897)
This rain here has been crazy... ready for summer already.

And, it's still raining here. Well, least we've not had any real snow...fingers x'd!

future62 01-24-2018 08:28 AM

We got a smattering of snow down here. Was good on major roads, but on the small capillaries to my cul de sac the TCS light was going crazy. FWIW we had a similar snow when I had my Z on Nitto NT555s (?), and I couldn't even pull out of my parking spot. I think the real issue was the tire width more than anything.

blnewt 01-24-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by future62 (Post 4179121)
We got a smattering of snow down here. Was good on major roads, but on the small capillaries to my cul de sac the TCS light was going crazy. FWIW we had a similar snow when I had my Z on Nitto NT555s (?), and I couldn't even pull out of my parking spot. I think the real issue was the tire width more than anything.

Had the NT555s on my 20s w/ 285s in back. Got caught in a snowstorm on a road trip back from Vegas, only 90 minutes from home but that 5" of snow turned it into a white knuckle 2.5 hr ordeal. Glad we have Conti A/S on our winter Maxima :)