TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erasat
Well, I have mine fixed before the Eneos ammendment (Anyway, my only local Infiniti delaer insists that they don't have any new bulletin, so they are not doing the Eneos one), and it fixed my issue for some time, then I began to hear it again, I haven't heard it anymore since I changed to Royal Purple 5W-30 Full Synth.
PS I think you mean the Ester Oil update.

So you had the knock. Did the software update with continued use of basic oil and it went away temporarily. And then it came back but switching to synthetic took it away again? Interesting.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 PM
erasat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Thanks, I edited orginal post to fix the errors, yes, I meant Ester Oil. Thinking on the Eneos oil too much.

Yes, they did the TSB, it took care of the noise, and then one day after driving a little more aggresive than usual, when I arrived at home I didn't turn it off immediately, and for my surprise, I began to hear the noise again, I don't know, maybe it was doing the same before, but I began to hear it since that day.

So before I decided to go again to the dealer to fix it, I changed it to Royal Purple, and since then I haven't heard it again.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just had the TSB done and my 15k mile tune-up. Tune-up cost regularly $299.95, and they stated they gave me a free oil change due to the circumstances with the bank actuator. My total still ended up being $293 tax included which I don't understand why. They charged me for the fuel additives, washer fluid, wheel weights and shop supplies fee, does this sound normal?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 PM
SilverBullet

Did any of you guys with intakes put the the stocks back on before going to the dealer with the Noise?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
t-bone1924

Originally Posted by notalk
Well, ester additives increase the adhesion properties of the oil. This means more ester will cause the oil to "stick to" metal parts longer. Such decreases the lubrication by having the oil stick instead of flow. In fact, more ester will decrease the "lubricating qualities" of oil, not increase them as you believe.
It seems that in Nissan's recent european patent application on their ester oil, they have made numerous claims regarding the increased lubricating qualities of their new "invention", and most notably, no mention of any increased adhesion properties, as you have stated.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by t-bone1924
It seems that in Nissan's recent european patent application on their ester oil, they have made numerous claims regarding the increased lubricating qualities of their new "invention", and most notably, no mention of any increased adhesion properties, as you have stated.
You are absolutely correct. (I posted the reference to the European patent application.) Esters are added to improve adhesion. So the oil isn't flung off parts during excessive loads. However, the European patent application makes no mention of any ester additives. The patent application says Nissan is using metallic oxides and carbides as friction reduction agents in a conventional PAO based motor oil. So, I don't know where the Ester comes from in the Nissan Ester oil.

The patent application and http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCU...02_X-1a-05.pdf make no mention of ester additives. The Nissan Tech Document does refer to an oil additive developed for diamond like coating applications to create a more durable ultra-low friction lubricating film. Apparently because the diamond like coating (on the VVEL lifters) can use a lower friction lubricant.

Which raises a number of questions. Does the lower friction lubricant in the Nissan Ester oil provide sufficient lubrication to all the non diamond like coated parts? If synthetic oils have lower friction, then why not just use a synthetic? Why use a more expensive oil if a synthetic will accomplish the same results? If the additive creates a more durable lubricating film can oil change intervals be lengthened beyond 3,750 miles?

If the diamond like coated VVEL valves absolutely need this Nissan Ester oil, then why didn't Nissan use it as factory fill upon release of the G37? The patent application was made in 2006. So, it would appear Nissan had the oil available before releasing the G37 in fall 2007. If the diamond like coating requires a special lubricant (at $12/qt), are the benefits absolutely worth the hassle of requiring a motor oil available from only one source? If the patent is granted, Nissan will have total say over who can make and sell this oil. If Nissan prevents others from making and selling or charges an exhorbitant license fee, then are all VVEL owners totally at Nissan's mercy for motor oil?

Sure wish I knew.

Last edited by notalk; 11-13-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Ok, so I already had my car reflashed for this a while back, but today I noticed a slight ticking sound, mainly while idling. For those who are familiar with lifter ticking from other cars, it sounds like lifter ticking OR what could possibly be a very minor exhaust leak right from underneath the engine. I have never touched the exhaust on this car, could it possibly be an exhaust leak?

I just want to know if this sound has to do with the actuator or something else?

I shot a little video, but unfortunately the camera picks up a lot of normal sounds that seem to eclipse the noise I'm referring to...notice when I move the camera forward and then back , you can hear the noise a little when I focus in between the 2 spokes of the wheel - it's the higher pitched ticking noise. It's ironic because in person it is much more noticeable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUbBTujvxtw

Last edited by 07BlackG35Stud; 06-02-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 PM
07BlackG35Stud

^^^ Update ^^^

Passed by the dealer today and they definitely stated that the sound I'm getting is not from the actuator...it's more of a rotational noise and it could be belt/pulley related. Nothing major, but still annoying. They will inspect my car to see what it is.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
^ My car is in the dealer right now for service, had to leave her overnight because I didn;t have time to pick her up. But I'm getting the VVEL actuator noise thing checked. I had it done in my previous service, it was good for about 3 weeks and it came back, but not as noticeable as before

BlackStud, Keep us posted on what your dealer finds.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Ok so I went back and the master tech took a look at my car, and said that it is indeed the actuator noise. I trust this man because he's very knowledgeable, and has worked with nissan/infiniti for about 14 years...we are also friends so he really has no reason to make anything up, not that he would anyways. One thing he specified is that the noise is temperature dependent, as the car tends to advance the the timing of the exhaust valves when it's very hot outside - to my surprise, this held true. When I pulled over at the dealer, as I tried to demo the problem to him, the car was not making the noise (of course)....but I left the engine running as he spoke to me, and eventually in the middle of the conversation the noise started becoming evident.

I'm gonna go for another cycle of ester oil, and if indeed it makes the noise go away, then I guess I'm stuck with $80 oil changes
Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM
DrJones

Originally Posted by Staples
Just had the TSB done and my 15k mile tune-up. Tune-up cost regularly $299.95, and they stated they gave me a free oil change due to the circumstances with the bank actuator. My total still ended up being $293 tax included which I don't understand why. They charged me for the fuel additives, washer fluid, wheel weights and shop supplies fee, does this sound normal?
Down here they quoted me $329 however I took some things off the list and the final price was $291. Still kinda steep. But at least I got new wiper blades!!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:52 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
So I had my dealer checked on it again but they weren't able to replicate the noise. I figured it had something to do with the temperature. I only hear it when I've been driving for quite a while. So did this man say if this noise is of any danger to the engine?

Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud
Ok so I went back and the master tech took a look at my car, and said that it is indeed the actuator noise. I trust this man because he's very knowledgeable, and has worked with nissan/infiniti for about 14 years...we are also friends so he really has no reason to make anything up, not that he would anyways. One thing he specified is that the noise is temperature dependent, as the car tends to advance the the timing of the exhaust valves when it's very hot outside - to my surprise, this held true. When I pulled over at the dealer, as I tried to demo the problem to him, the car was not making the noise (of course)....but I left the engine running as he spoke to me, and eventually in the middle of the conversation the noise started becoming evident.

I'm gonna go for another cycle of ester oil, and if indeed it makes the noise go away, then I guess I'm stuck with $80 oil changes
Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013
So I had my dealer checked on it again but they weren't able to replicate the noise. I figured it had something to do with the temperature. I only hear it when I've been driving for quite a while. So did this man say if this noise is of any danger to the engine?
I have the same noise and im running Motul for oil. After my car has been running for awhile I have the same issue.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:07 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Fellas, according to him and Infiniti Consumer Affairs the noise is completely harmless to the engine of the car. I'm gonna run an ester oil change, and if it fixes it then we know we don't have much of a choice.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
DrJones

It may not be harming the engine but the sound is brutal.... and annoying as hell.

Quick Reply: Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator