G37 Sedan

New recruit to the brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
Sell the stiller exhaust and get a better one.. Congrats!!
Thats all subjective...I've owned my Stillen CBE for close to 4 years now and still love it to this day!

Op welcome to the club, I def wouldn't call MW a unicorn...rare yes...but no unicorn. Either way, pickup the RJM clutch pedal ASAP. Seriously no joke, best driving mod you can do for our cars.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
How much did you get the G for?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Thats all subjective...I've owned my Stillen CBE for close to 4 years now and still love it to this day!

Op welcome to the club, I def wouldn't call MW a unicorn...rare yes...but no unicorn. Either way, pickup the RJM clutch pedal ASAP. Seriously no joke, best driving mod you can do for our cars.
I think he was referring to the transmission. Because a Malbec Black 6MT Sedan is the unicorn, Mr. Sac... no argument. Followed by Vibrant Red.

As for his exhaust... bird in the hand, and all that. It will be fine, and certainly better than stock.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Correct, just a trans reference (and perhaps condition to a lesser extent). I hadn't seen one previously and from researching they seemed to be fairly uncommon among the general population. There appears to be a pretty strong level of 6mt representation on the board here though.
White or silver is all that I would of wanted. I like the look of black cars the paint just doesn't seem to age well and they are more maintenance in my opinion to keep looking nice/clean. Red is just a no go.
I paid $23k with the extras. I don't think it was a crazy deal but it felt fair. My credit union blue booked it at $22.8k. That was in the upper average range for G sedans in the area as I was looking. I saw high mileage base models in the 17's up to a low mileage xS for $25k. No real modified cars to speak of that I saw.
Noted on the recommendation to get the RJM(?) pedal assembly sooner than later and the sway bars. They're on the list.
I'll post a review of my experience with Jsolo's spring and then try to update after the whole pedal change. Kind of curious to feel the transformation.
As was stated, the exhaust thing is sort of subjective. To me, Stillen is the one I would of bought if given the choice. Respected name in the Nissan game for a long time (I remember my uncles late 90's 300z slick top had stillen goodies on it). I think it is a little more 'refined' piece, for lack of a better term. It's a luxury sports sedan to me and this part fits the bill for my money (and it's free in this case anyway). Looking forward to putting it on in the next few weeks.
Thanks again everyone. I'll be around from time to time.
My name's Eric by the way.
The following users liked this post:
gavingw (01-10-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

A little update:
Loving the car so far. Haven't been able to drive it much as I'm out of town a lot but it's a fun car.
I installed the Stillen exhaust last weekend. It's really nice hardware. Seems a shame no one ever gets to see it. Surprising looking at the oem system next to it. The size difference on the collector sections is almost comical. The install was very straightforward. Everything lined up perfectly with the factory hangers. Took just under two hours by myself with the car on ramps. With a lift and 2 guys I would think you could easily do it in under an hour. I followed the advice of a YouTube video (diy motorvate?, Canadian guy with my exact same car) and removed the small cross member so that I could remove the stock Y and mid-pipe in one piece. Glad that I did. Likely made installing the Stillen mid-pipe easier too. The one thing the instructions were missing, and maybe it should of been obvious but I didn't see any markings, was that the mid-pipe goes on a certain way. It has a "top" and "bottom" so to speak. It has to do with where the hangers are mounted on the pipes and how low it sits relative to the body. It won't clear the cross brace upside down as it is oriented just a little too low (hangs too far below the body). It is only an inch or so difference in either orientation but it matters.
For a mini-review, since there's already multiple on the site, I really like this system. On start up it sounds a little louder then before but settles in to very near stock volume in a few seconds. Driving around conservatively someone new to the car might not notice anything wasn't stock. When the RPM's climb it really sounds good though. I think it sounds like a finely tuned Formula 1 car. At least that's what I'm telling myself. It makes me grin every time from 4-6k. I love it. I can still use it as my work car and pick up the boss from the airport without worrying about her thinking I'm trying to live out my Fast'n Furious 13 (or however many of those they made) fantasies.

I was out of town all last week, so still haven't driven it much since the install. I will say in the airport garage accelerating up the ramps between levels with the windows down it sounds (almost) better than sex....
I also just installed Jsolo's spring and K&N filters on Saturday. I've run K&N's on everything I've ever owned (cars, motortcycles, atv's) and I have zero interest in most so-called cold air intakes. Reviews are mixed at best, on any type of car, and I can't get my head around how pulling air out of the engine bay could be any cooler than from the front of the car. I'm considering the long tubes but I'm not ready to pull the bumper and modify my radiator support for the install just yet. The air filters on the car looked dirty so I put the K&N's on for now.
As for the clutch spring, it really gives the car a more natural feel. It's easier to modulate the engagement and I'm definitely able to take off smoother. The 1st to 2nd shift is also much better. It was very easy to install. Took 10 minutes max. It should've been 5 but through some sort of miracle as I was pulling out the connecting pin with a pair of needle nose it shot out and dropped in behind the fuse panel cover and fell down inside. It made the most terrible sound (think plinko if you remember the price is right game) as it bounced down inside of the car. I have no idea how it happened and I doubt I could've gotten it in there 99 times out of 100 attempts if I was actually trying to. I was preparing for the worst in retrieving it as it sounded like it fell down through a dozen layers before coming to rest. I had to remove the kick panel covering the fuses and the piece of trim along the lower door sill that retains the carpet to take a look. I could see it down in a little slot and used a long pair of needle nose to retrieve it. Sounded much worse. Even with my mistake I was still into the job about 10 minutes. It really was easy. The engagement point is still higher in the pedal stroke than I would prefer. I knew the spring wouldn't change that part but it is an overall improvement for the minor investment in time and money. I think at some point I'll still look into the RJM pedal but it definitely sounds like a less than exciting install. We shall see.
I've been spending more time on this site and there really is an obscene amount of information once you start looking into the different subtopics. I appreciate the access to this wealth of knowledge.
Next update preview: I signed up for my first group buy for a roof spoiler. It's the gen3 and adds a subtle styling element that I've seen before and really like. Maybe I do have jusy a little bit of F'n F in me after all....

Last edited by NW_6MT; 01-30-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The Stillen catback looks like what Nissan should have done if they offered a sport-exhaust package. Very clean, very attractive, but not so obviously aftermarket in appearance or sound that someone might think it's tacky.

Going with MW or BO on the roof wing? I think it looks right black, particularly because of the tinted rear window.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:52 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The Stillen catback looks like what Nissan should have done if they offered a sport-exhaust package. Very clean, very attractive, but not so obviously aftermarket in appearance or sound that someone might think it's tacky.

That's where I'm at on it. I guess I really like items that fit and add to the package without drawing attention to them as looking like something I'm just dying to stick anything on my car (think overzealous application of auto parts store stick-on chrome doodads and whatnot).

Going with MW or BO on the roof wing? I think it looks right black, particularly because of the tinted rear window.
I got MW. I was torn on that. I'm thinking I might get a black wrap on the roof someday (am I remembering correctly that you have this?) and at that point I'll get the spoiler wrapped black too. I've always liked the look when I see a black roof on white/silver cars (whether factory or not) and thought about doing it on my maxima (it was silver) for a long time also but never did.

A question for you Rochester: Thoughts on how to get rid of the hideous chrome trunk trim piece? I've thought of just getting it paint matched or perhaps getting the OEM spoiler, but I'm not sold on either. Are there other options I'm not thinking of? I'd really like something that would bolt on like the OEM, fill the piece where the chrome is now (with cam and button), and just be a very small lip across the trunk. Does such an animal exist?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by NW_6MT
am I remembering correctly that you have this?
Vinyl wrap on the roof? No, not me. Too much Oreo.

But if you're asking about the Gen3 wing, then yes, I was at the ground floor on this thing. Very content with it on the car.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-extreme3.html

Originally Posted by NW_6MT
A question for you Rochester: Thoughts on how to get rid of the hideous chrome trunk trim piece? I've thought of just getting it paint matched or perhaps getting the OEM spoiler, but I'm not sold on either. Are there other options I'm not thinking of? I'd really like something that would bolt on like the OEM, fill the piece where the chrome is now (with cam and button), and just be a very small lip across the trunk. Does such an animal exist?
There are options. I think the Stillen over the painted lip is a good look. Kind of busy, though. Everything painted to match looks better on a darker sedan, IMO. Not sure why that is.

Name:  DSC01427.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  47.0 KB

Last edited by Rochester; 01-31-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Congrats on the MT sedan. Its a rare car no matter the color. Some of us spent months searching for the right one. You're off to a good start.

Spoiler options are far and wide. There are many options out there but there are few that fit without some massaging.

I went with the OEM spoiler and I couldn't be happier. Paint matched perfect and the fit couldn't have been better.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
op glad to hear you like the exhaust, like I said before I've owned mine for years and have never regretted it. Exhaust tone is fantastic. As for spoilers, unsure if you've seen the oem spoiler in person on the G, but imo its the best looking one. There are quite a few options out there, but as mentioned before may need some massaging to fit correctly. If your into carbon fiber look, there's some inexpensive once that actually look great once fitted correctly.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

I actually haven't seen the oem spoiler in person that I recall. I think I like it in the pictures, some angles yes and some not as much, just had something a little smaller in mind I guess.
I hadn't seen the stillen. Looked into it a little more. I like it, but viewed from the back I agree it looks a little busy even paint matched. I don't like it at all with the spoiler painted color matched while sitting on top of the original chrome piece. Wish they would've just went all the way and molded one piece to account for the chrome trim instead of sticking to the top of it.
Oh well, still time to decide. I like the idea of just painting what I have but doesn't sound as though the color lining up would be too likely. Same problem with the OE spoiler I suppose though too.
Appreciate the insight everyone.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:26 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

The OE spoiler comes painted from the factory. The color match is perfect.
It has a low profile and looks like it belongs.

Go here and use estore2017 code for 25% off.

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/?siteid=15
Old 01-31-2017, 07:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Perfect shot angle, Dembflyr.

Next the OP is going to be agonizing over whether or not to get the OEM front chin. If he's never seen the OEM trunk spoiler in person, it's fair odds that he's never seen the front chin. Or, for that matter, the Midnight Grille.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

The chin spoiler is an absolute must for the sport bumper.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:03 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Thanks for that picture. A lot of what I've seen appeared significantly larger for whatever reason. It looks really good. Subtle and fits. I went to that link and there wasn't any QAA available, only the "2009-11 white" (and about every other color). Assuming that it is different?
You are correct, haven't seen the front in person either that I recall. I like it though. Just worry a little about it being victimized by some passive aggressive curb at the local grocery after I install the eibach springs. Still undecided as I do like the front end as it is. Looking at the rear now, as a first order of business, as it's the part of the car I like the least. Chrome piece just looks like a glaring afterthought to my eyes.
I hadn't heard of the midnight grill prior to joining this site. Again, haven't actually seen one. I actually really like what you had done in one of the pictures I saw Rochester, with the white bezel and black internals. Thinking it would be prohibitive to have a body shop mix up some paint just to paint that little bezel though. Not sure what I'll do there. Something probably... Good to have options and all that I suppose.