Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Technical question about estimated camber.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Technical question about estimated camber.

Hello guys,

I was doing some research about camber angles and thought i should discuss it with you guys. Its a simple concept but before i begin i want to establish that I am assuming camber angles are in degree and they are actually angles. for instance, -3 camber means -3 degree from 90 degree of wheel.

Assuming that, can I use arc calculating equations to calculate camber and know how much camber value I may need to push in top section of the wheel?

So, I get the diameter (height) of the whole tire from Rim & tire calculators online, put tire size etc and get values, say for 255-40-19 its 687mm.

For easiness of understanding, we can use right angle triangle equation to calculate camber. this method will give us negligible error. the more accurate way to solve it would be to use an arc calculating equation.

that being said, we can put the diameter value as base of the right angle triangle. see how much we want to push in the tire, say i need 8mm, use that value as perpendicular of the triangle. using these two values and 90 degree angle, we can calculate a and c angles.

this example is to explain how the angle can be calculated. using a right angle triangle equation will give us a minute calculation error because we want to move the tire in and that will happen in an arc, not just straight in.

when i calculate using right angle triangle equation, it comes out that i would need 0.67 degree VS when we use actual arc calculating equations we get 0.66722. i will need this much camber MORE than what i have.

is my assumption correct?

here is a simple example

sorry for the long post lol, but i didn't find this basic stuff on google :/ so i started thinking, i may be wrong? am i?

Last edited by main_shoby; 09-22-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:49 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I made a small camber calculator in excel.
takes inputs in mm and solves for camber angle.

if someone is interested, let me know i will share it.