Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:00 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts

Category: Brakes
Price: $1000
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits: 2010+ G37 Coupe, 2010+ G37 Sedan, 2008-2009 G37 Coupe, 2008-2009 G37 Sedan, Other Model G's
Location (State/Prov): VA
Item Condition: Brand New

Thanks Ryne - this is correct. And at this moment, I'm looking at a few different options for my next car. The process is definitely starting to pulling my hair out.

2011 G37 IPL in Malbec Black
2011 BMW 335i M-sport in LeMans blue with Saddle Brown Interior
2010 BMW M3 M-Sport in Space Gray and Coral Red interior

All are 6-speed manuals. Just trying to figure out which is the best deal (and what I want the most).
Old 04-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Thanks Ryne - this is correct. And at this moment, I'm looking at a few different options for my next car. The process is definitely starting to pulling my hair out.

2011 G37 IPL in Malbec Black
2011 BMW 335i M-sport in LeMans blue with Saddle Brown Interior
2010 BMW M3 M-Sport in Space Gray and Coral Red interior

All are 6-speed manuals. Just trying to figure out which is the best deal (and what I want the most).
I really like BMW's and had a bit of buyers remorse for a while after going with the G. Since then, I have actually driven a few BMWs, and it has really helped me solidify that I made the right choice. I drove a 2012 550i and a 2008 135i and both of them went into limp mode. I have also driven a few 335i's of various trims and drivetrains and they just don't impress me the way I remembered them to after owning the G for a year and a half. Unless you go with the M, you also don't get an LSD. I've driven the RWD 335 and when the boost comes on, it can get squirrelly. I still like Beemers, I guess it's just waning a bit due to their high maintenance requirements, hit or miss reliability, and price for comparable features.

Good luck deciding!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:30 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

The 2011 IPL I'm interested in is from a dealership down near my buddy RexHavoc. It's not a bad price but does need some negotiating.

The two others are a hard find option. Finding the right 335i is tough - mainly because I hate black cars and would prefer not to get a black interior on a 335i knowing they have Saddle Brown and Coral Red.

The 2011 335i maintenance is rather mild compared to the 2007-2010 models which had the first gen twin turbo motor (N54). The newer models use a "twin scroll" single turbocharger unit. Definitely brings repair costs way down in the even anything goes wrong with the boosted system. Otherwise, seems reliable after the few techs I spoke with, along with my mechanic. The 2010 M is a tough decision mainly because the M really does stand for money - those things are money pits when something goes wrong. That is one reason I'm staying far away from an automatic, especially the SMG system.

I began to look at a few 2006-2007 M5s and quickly told myself to stop. Definitely something I don't want to sink all my savings into.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
The 2011 IPL I'm interested in is from a dealership down near my buddy RexHavoc. It's not a bad price but does need some negotiating.

The two others are a hard find option. Finding the right 335i is tough - mainly because I hate black cars and would prefer not to get a black interior on a 335i knowing they have Saddle Brown and Coral Red.

The 2011 335i maintenance is rather mild compared to the 2007-2010 models which had the first gen twin turbo motor (N54). The newer models use a "twin scroll" single turbocharger unit. Definitely brings repair costs way down in the even anything goes wrong with the boosted system. Otherwise, seems reliable after the few techs I spoke with, along with my mechanic. The 2010 M is a tough decision mainly because the M really does stand for money - those things are money pits when something goes wrong. That is one reason I'm staying far away from an automatic, especially the SMG system.

I began to look at a few 2006-2007 M5s and quickly told myself to stop. Definitely something I don't want to sink all my savings into.
Yeah, I could see frequent repairs becoming disappointing. I have also heard that the N55 is more reliable than the N54, but at the expense of power. I have still heard of problems with the HPFP, wastegate, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, etc. The general consensus though is that they are great cars, when they run. I was surprised at the rattles that were present in lightly used Beemers. Maybe I have just driven bad examples?

I don't think that I would have the courage to try and push the limits of the 335 modification wise for reliability reasons so I am content with where the G is at power wise. There are times I feel like an FI G37 is equally, if not more, reliable compared to a 335.

You are right, everything on the M is ridiculous to fix, and the 335 isn't much better. Most people are surprised that the 335 takes 7 quarts of oil (and still have overheating problems)(M3 takes 10 quarts!!!). I wouldn't be able to sleep well at night with an out of warranty M car unless it was paid off. Even then, I'd still be uneasy about what is lurking around the corner.

Either way you go, I'm sure you will enjoy the car. A bunch of free bumps for your paused FS thread also, lol.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I would LOVE a FI G37. I had plans to do that to my Sedan, however a Stillen SC + the 7 Auto Tragic transmission, I'd prefer to have a manual any day of the week.

I'll take the free bumps, all day.

Just as an update as I've received MANY PMs for the calipers - I'm hoping to have time this weekend to get everything in order. Decals will be applied and clear coated. I will also pull the hardware from the box and clean it all up. new pictures will be taken to show completed calipers with all included hardware.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Chances

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ryne
The RWD sport and anniversary edition sedans come with the Akebono BBK from the factory.
Must be the RWD sedan then because

My xS model (sedan) didn't come with them. its a 10 anniversary edition.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:14 PM
greg214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If these are still available, I'm interested.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Chances
Must be the RWD sedan then because

My xS model (sedan) didn't come with them. its a 10 anniversary edition.
Yes, per my post - RWD.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Chances

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ryne
Yes, per my post - RWD.
Sorry, I thought RWD Coupe, not sedan, my bad.
Can't believe the xS sedan didnt come with them. Makes me wild pi$$ed haha.