Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Just got a 2013 G37 in Carlisle PA

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:27 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL23
Do you daily drive your G? How often do you accelerate vs. taking a corner? How often do you track your boat? Im not saying a sway bar doesn't improve handling. Im saying use that money else where, as in a good intake or exhaust so you get some actual use of your performance upgrades.
The G is a DD that I beat the life out of whenever I get a chance in multiple scenarios. My daily drive is 100 miles, round trip, of stretches of highway and backroads. The difference in handling after the sway bar upgrade was noticed immediately. The OEM bar is skinny by design to induce oversteer in RWD models and under steer in AWD models. Upgrading one or the other, pending you model, greatly helps balance the car. Intakes, exhausts, HFC and test pipes are great after a tune and the car can utilize them in harmony. Until then, they're noise makers and shouldn't be prioritized unless you happen to come across a deal that would be stupid to pass on. I am guilty of this myself.

The newly discovered rear differential brace is also a awesome upgrade that allows near perfect power delivery and traction. Highly recommended and only a 20 minute install.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:33 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
IPL23, you do not understand or care about handling of the G. Those of us who do have consistently countered your old-school hotrod opinion. It's time to put this to bed. The OP can make his choice or search for further opinions.
On that note, my father has prioritized a rack and pinion upgrade as well as beefier sway bars and suspension on his '69 Firebird. The man has never dragged or tracked a car in his life but even he understands those upgrades will immensely benefit the handling of the car; even if he just plans to take it out on Sunday drives.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:35 PM
IPL23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
IPL23, you do not understand or care about handling of the G. Those of us who do have consistently countered your old-school hotrod opinion. It's time to put this to bed. The OP can make his choice or search for further opinions.
What is wrong with me stating a 2 ton coupe is more fun with an exhaust than with suspension upgrades? I daily my IPL. Idk about you, but I accelerate far more than I backroad or take an on ramp. I would even argue my tomei brings more enjoyment from driving than all the suspension upgrades lol
Old 01-19-2019, 03:40 PM
IPL23

Originally Posted by RMB5190
You're moving the goal posts to make your point...

A RWD G37 Coupe weighs 3,600 pds. Both, the new STI and Evo X are 3,500pds and come with less HP than a G37. Are you saying they don't belong anywhere near a track?

A sway bar upgrade is in the ball park of $100-120. OP doesn't need to go for a full name brand set to yield the benefits. You argue OP wouldn't use a proper set of summer tires...Yet, they would only benefit him every time he steps on the throttle; or a sway bar that would be noticed on every turn.

I will agree, lighter rims = less unsprung mass but why not suggest he slap heavy 19s or 20s on if he will never be in a situation to use the weight reduction effectively? Or, the loudest single exit muffler available? OP wouldn't learn or gain one ounce* of experience doing either of those. A shop would be required.
It weighs 3700, so I added 200 lbs. while we are driving it, and then rounded from 3900 to 4k lbs. Its a 2 ton luxury gt car, not a sports car. If we wanted sports cars we would have purchased Z's instead. You also compared a g37 coupe to a sedan and it still weighs more lmao.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:41 PM
IPL23

On that note, my father has prioritized a rack and pinion upgrade as well as beefier sway bars and suspension on his '69 Firebird. The man has never dragged or tracked a car in his life but even he understands those upgrades will immensely benefit the handling of the car; even if he just plans to take it out on Sunday drives.
So Im sure he will notice the handling differences on those Sunday drives more than a godly exhaust note on his daily accelerations....seems legit.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:02 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IPL23
So Im sure he will notice the handling differences on those Sunday drives more than a godly exhaust note on his daily accelerations....seems legit.
Happens as one matures and prioritizes handling, suspension and driving dynamics over making lots of noise....No point in going fast if it can't be controlled. No matter the horsepower figure.

You mentioned you enjoy accelerating yet argue against summer tires which only help you in that regard. I have fun making the VQ sing as much as the next enthusiast but nothing beats ripping around a bend, maintaining momentum, and not thinking for a second about touching the brake.

Are you straight piped...I think that will address the elephant in the room...

Old 01-19-2019, 04:30 PM
IPL23

Happens as one matures and prioritizes handling, suspension and driving dynamics over making lots of noise....No point in going fast if it can't be controlled. No matter the horsepower figure.

You mentioned you enjoy accelerating yet argue against summer tires which only help you in that regard. I have fun making the VQ sing as much as the next enthusiast but nothing beats ripping around a bend, maintaining momentum, and not thinking for a second about touching the brake.

Are you straight piped...I think that will address the elephant in the room...
z1 test pipes, Tomei Y and Tomei muffler. You are misreading what I say. I never argued against summer tires or upgraded handling, but like you mentioned those preferences are for mature enthusiast. Monty, having never modded a car, will likely enjoy a nice exhaust setup over handling upgrades.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:50 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

There's hope yet....

I went exhaust, header, intake mods on my first car and admittedly, I enjoyed it. Although, I installed a sway bar after year 4-5 of ownership and was kicking myself for not installing one sooner. Engine blew before I could take suspension upgrades any further but it was a learning experience. Unless you have a vehicle with mag ride, 'power' mods can be addressed later; if exhaust dBs are of importance, a muffler delete can be accomplished for free.

In reality, OP could spend less than $120 and have a better handling car instantly. After that, have at it but that mod will be recommended by 99% of G owners. Can't exactly make a sound argument against that.

Also, oddly enough, upgrading the interior lights to LEDs and GTR map lenses...They give the car a much more modern and upscale feel (also you can see a hell of a lot better) and I've gotten recognition and compliments on them vs. any other mod....Weird.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:09 PM
IPL23

There's hope yet....

I went exhaust, header, intake mods on my first car and admittedly, I enjoyed it. Although, I installed a sway bar after year 4-5 of ownership and was kicking myself for not installing one sooner. Engine blew before I could take suspension upgrades any further but it was a learning experience. Unless you have a vehicle with mag ride, 'power' mods can be addressed later; if exhaust dBs are of importance, a muffler delete can be accomplished for free.

In reality, OP could spend less than $120 and have a better handling car instantly. After that, have at it but that mod will be recommended by 99% of G owners. Can't exactly make a sound argument against that.

Also, oddly enough, upgrading the interior lights to LEDs and GTR map lenses...They give the car a much more modern and upscale feel (also you can see a hell of a lot better) and I've gotten recognition and compliments on them vs. any other mod....Weird.
Monty please settle this, buy a cheap sway bar and then a full Tomei or ISR if you don't want to spend that much, with some z1 test pipes and tell us which mod you could do without.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Circling the drain. Closing this one.