MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions-315/)
-   -   Turning off awd in G37x coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions/235647-turning-off-awd-in-g37x-coupe.html)

ANMVQ 02-01-2016 07:34 AM

Yea I am looking at this as well. What does th switch cut the signal too? Or did the fuse work

Lt8Che 02-24-2016 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by warpeacelove (Post 3944761)
This DYI doesn't do it for me. I tried to follow steps listed on here. But after splicing the orange cable and connecting two wires to a switch. I was able to get the car in RWD mode but not back to AWD. The AWD light is ON all the time now.

Currently running into the same issue. Whether the switch is on or off after rolling for a couple of feet I hear a click and the AWD light comes on the dash signaling the AWD unit is off. Gonna dig deeper and figure this out.

warpeacelove 02-24-2016 10:09 PM

You have a blown fuse same thing I experienced. Also for you to switch modes you have to turn the switch on If am not mistaken to place it in RWD then turn the switch off to engage AWD afterwards turn the car on.

Lt8Che 02-24-2016 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by warpeacelove (Post 3999005)
You have a blown fuse same thing I experienced. Also for you to switch modes you have to turn the switch on If am not mistaken to place it in RWD then turn the switch off to engage AWD afterwards turn the car on.

Thanks! What fuse is it? The one's in the driver kick panel or the one's in under the hood?

I found another write up and the guy doesn't have any issues with the way he did his but used a different wire, also like you said it looks like the car needs to be off in order to toggle the switch without blowing a fuse (I may look into getting fuses with more amperage too)

DJE44 02-27-2016 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by drkay (Post 3947746)
so . . . this means that you couldn't use this mod to run a staggered setup outside the AWD system tolerances or go on an RWD dyno.

Curious why you say this. I've been running RWD with this mod for over a year now on a very aggressive staggered setup. No problems because AWD is toggled off.

Front: 19x10.5 225/35
Rear: 19x12 255/35

I plan on switching to a meaty setup for this season and also getting a new tune / dyno done. Why wouldn't you go RWD dyno if AWD is completely disabled?

joecrack 03-20-2016 01:32 AM

any proper write ups on this ? I've seen some that say put the switch on the orange wire and some say the green wire .......

Lt8Che 03-21-2016 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by joecrack (Post 4008478)
any proper write ups on this ? I've seen some that say put the switch on the orange wire and some say the green wire .......

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...wd-switch.html

WhtaBeautXs 05-02-2016 01:12 PM

With this Mod, does it mean I can run my staggered set up and not ruin my AWD? I just put my wheels on and the awd light flashes. I'm thinking if I do this Mod the car will be constant RWD and I won't have to worry about the tire sizes.

NewGCoupe 05-02-2016 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by WhtaBeautXs (Post 4027142)
With this Mod, does it mean I can run my staggered set up and not ruin my AWD? I just put my wheels on and the awd light flashes. I'm thinking if I do this Mod the car will be constant RWD and I won't have to worry about the tire sizes.

From what I understand, I believe the AWD light on your dash went off because the computer knows that the wheels were changed and it turned the awd system off in order to protect the front diff. You could take the fuse out but I don't think it will do anything that the car isnt doing for you already. Taking out the fuse will make the AWD light go off and then you will be in RWD just as you probably are as of now.

WhtaBeautXs 05-02-2016 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by NewGCoupe (Post 4027194)
From what I understand, I believe the AWD light on your dash went off because the computer knows that the wheels were changed and it turned the awd system off in order to protect the front diff. You could take the fuse out but I don't think it will do anything that the car isnt doing for you already. Taking out the fuse will make the AWD light go off and then you will be in RWD just as you probably are as of now.

I understand that but I want to turn the AWD off, not just the light. So if I do the mod which I can switch the AWD off, there will be no harm done to my AWD system when running a staggered setup because the car will be on RWD full time and the ECU won't think that the car is slipping.

kennyz424 05-03-2016 05:36 PM

Why buy an awd in the first place if you plan on turning it off? I've run a staggered setup of 20x9 and 20x10.5 on my awd coupe for about 2 years and haven't had any issues at all with my awd system. Many people have done it with no problems.

VIVID 05-03-2016 06:46 PM

^^^^^ Kenny - The same reason I put Ti nuts and bolts in my engine bay where I'm the only one who sees them: BECAUSE I LIKE F@CKING AROUND WITH MY G!!! It's a big toy!!! :eek:

Sean

kennyz424 05-03-2016 08:39 PM

Turn off the traction control and call it a day lmao And Sean point well made my good sir! :) :)

WhtaBeautXs 05-03-2016 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by kennyz424 (Post 4027808)
Why buy an awd in the first place if you plan on turning it off? I've run a staggered setup of 20x9 and 20x10.5 on my awd coupe for about 2 years and haven't had any issues at all with my awd system. Many people have done it with no problems.

What are your tire sizes??? I currently have 255/35 rear 225/35 front. My variance is way off. Plus my offsets are +20 front and +25 rear.

kennyz424 05-04-2016 12:32 AM

Front: 245/35/20 +32 offset and after 15mm spacers I'm at a +17 offset
Rear: 275/30/20 +45 offset and after 15mm spacers I'm at a +30 offset