MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Autokits rear diffuser - Yes or No? Help me decide (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/292729-autokits-rear-diffuser-yes-or-no-help-me-decide.html)

2011-G 09-17-2019 04:55 PM

I agree with Rochester - I don't like how this turned out - You could have paid $100 more and get it painted instead of getting it wrapped
Don't forget it will eventually gets worse over time and will start peeing off - Good luck with it, I like the diffuser though - Been debating for a while if I should get it or not

Still not sure.

cmckenzie15 09-17-2019 05:00 PM

OP how long ago did you get it wrapped?

The texture you are seeing is actually from it being on the roll. If they used any reputable wrap that is self healing that will go away with the sunlight. The wrinkles itself may go away slightly but looks a little sketchy. I would not have them wrap over the existing wrap at all. They should have washed and clayed the roof at a minimum before putting the wrap on. As for the Shark fin they did not even offer to take it off to wrap it for you? When I got mine done at my shop they told me it took literally 20-30 minutes to take the shark fin off and wrap it. Here is a pic of my roof wrap when I brought it home you can see the texture as well.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...8ba018f71.jpeg

jaydee23 09-18-2019 11:41 AM

I am heading over to the high end shop today that did my tint.
They were wrapping a lambo when I picked up my car from getting tinted.
Should have just sprung for the extra for them to do the roof.
I had received a recommendation from a satisfied friend for the shop I used and did not think $250 was bargain basement pricing.
I expected better.
Let us see what the high end shop says.

Rochester 09-18-2019 11:50 AM

Here's a somewhat on-topic story.

Six or seven years ago, I wanted to get a vinyl wrap in the cut-out section of my lower rear bumper. To get this project going, I found a local vinyl shop that was mostly into stickers and signs, but it was a creative, artsy crew, and they expressed total confidence. They were asking $150, if I remember correctly. Anyway, they butchered the hell out of the job. The lines weren't straight, they ripped the vinyl and used two pieces. They nicked my paint with their razor. I was p1ssed. The only saving grace is they charged me for materials, so $30 maybe, because they knew they screwed up. I had to go to the high-end window tint shop and connect with a genuine professional who cleaned up the cut lines as best possible. The end-result left me 90% satisfied. It's OK, but not nearly perfect.

And damn it if the material has hung on all these years. I keep waiting for it to peel, so I can have it redone. Still waiting, still accepting the compromise.

jaydee23 09-18-2019 01:45 PM

Stopped by another shop. They just finished a range rover roof in gloss black.
I got to compare and ask questions. The range had the same type marks as my roof, just less of them.

They told me:
  • The creases and marking is caused from stretching the wrap.Stretching is necessary but too much results in these marks.
  • Some of the marking will disappear/relax over time with exposure to sun/heat
  • What i had was a bit excessive but not terrible
  • They suggested letting shop 1 do it over, as paying shop 2 (them) to do it would yield better results but would still contain similar stretching marks, just less of them
  • Gloss black shows the most as far as these type stretching marks
  • A matte wrap does not mark nearly as bad when stretched.
  • Do not wrap over wrap.
  • their price was $375, vs what I paid was $250

Ill be heading back to shop 1 to let them give it another go. I did like the communication with the owner and the worker who wrapped the roof. crossing my fingers...

cmckenzie15 09-18-2019 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaydee23 (Post 4256033)
Stopped by another shop. They just finished a range rover roof in gloss black.
I got to compare and ask questions. The range had the same type marks as my roof, just less of them.

They told me:
  • The creases and marking is caused from stretching the wrap.Stretching is necessary but too much results in these marks.
  • Some of the marking will disappear/relax over time with exposure to sun/heat
  • What i had was a bit excessive but not terrible
  • They suggested letting shop 1 do it over, as paying shop 2 (them) to do it would yield better results but would still contain similar stretching marks, just less of them
  • Gloss black shows the most as far as these type stretching marks
  • A matte wrap does not mark nearly as bad when stretched.
  • Do not wrap over wrap.
  • their price was $375, vs what I paid was $250

Ill be heading back to shop 1 to let them give it another go. I did like the communication with the owner and the worker who wrapped the roof. crossing my fingers...

This shop definitely gave you the correct info. $350 is what I paid for mine and that was with the shark fin.