Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts 2012 G37 4D Sedan smashed while parked

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 PM
summerwind
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, was not meant to offend. That was a quote from the cop as they were unable to get information at all.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-26-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM
summerwind
Registered Member

I meant when the work is done, is it recommended that I take the car to Infiniti just to make sure, everything was done right and impact did not affect the electricals like llights, etc.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:21 PM
summerwind
Registered Member

The insurance did state the repair work is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. That good enough? No need to have Infiniti inspect it?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:51 PM
Gus_Mahn
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by summerwind
I meant when the work is done, is it recommended that I take the car to Infiniti just to make sure, everything was done right and impact did not affect the electricals like llights, etc.
They'd probably be happy to take your money, but they won't be able to tell you much of anything. I wouldn't take it there. I would, after some period of time, pull the push pins inside the trunk to pull back the 1/4 trunk liner to be sure no water is getting into the car during rain or washing.
summerwind (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 PM
summerwind
Registered Member

Never thought of that. Thanks. I wouldn't know how and don't feel confident to do it. Take it back to repair shop and have them check?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Scarab Armor
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry this happened to you. I know the feeling of having your car damaged (in my case, totaled) by a driver with no insurance. Any good body shop should guarantee their repairs for the life of the vehicle. That paired with your insurance company's guarantee, you should be okay. As others have stated, I don't think the stealership will me much help here, other than to gladly take your money for an inspection. Gus_Mahn's suggestion to check for water getting into the trunk is an excellent idea. Also be sure to look for overspray (especially on the edges and lower portion of the quarter panels) and orange peal. Hopefully your repairs will go well without any issues.
summerwind (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 12:35 AM
summerwind
Registered Member

Thank you for your concern. Yes, I will check for overspray. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Wow, that sucks. Best of luck with repairs. A similar thing happened to our Sedan forum Moderator, who came out to his car one day and saw it destroyed in the parking lot. I can only imagine how crappy you both must have felt. My point is, everything worked out well for Newt, and I hope things work out for you.

You're angry, and you have every right to be. But you can still be better than that comment.
Yeah Summerwind, sucks to see that and have to go through all the insurance/bodyshop hassles. Luckily ours was fixed very well and took a very thorough inspection to get things just right, there was a blended area on ours that they had to do some extra buffing but it worked out fine in the end (all things considered) and it drives as it did before.

Here's my damage, cost $8k and 5 weeks to fix (2 new doors, new center door pillar and rocker panel, hood blend)

Hope everything turns out well in your case, best of luck through this.
summerwind (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 01:16 AM
summerwind
Registered Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. That looks really bad, hope you were not hurt. Estimated cost is over 4K 2 weeks in. No idea how to do a thorough inspection like you. Some suggestions from good people on this thread will help without having to take the car to Infiniti.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by summerwind
Thank you for sharing your experience. That looks really bad, hope you were not hurt. Estimated cost is over 4K 2 weeks in. No idea how to do a thorough inspection like you. Some suggestions from good people on this thread will help without having to take the car to Infiniti.
Like you, we weren't in the car, eating at a restaurant and manager asks "anyone drive a black Infiniti, there's been an accident outside", some 16yr old probably texting, blew over a curb when turning into the lot and just my luck

As far as the inspection, make sure you have really good lighting, preferably bright sunlight. Check the car at different angles and look for changes in the color shade, look for any texture differences, differences in the gloss. I would bring another person so you can get another set of eyes checking it too.

Checking body panel gaps from one side to the other for uniformity and flush fitment is also important.

Here's a good clip and there's others to check on youtube
summerwind (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:15 PM
summerwind
Registered Member

Thank you so much. Really appreciate your suggestions. Really like the obsidian black, wondering if there's way to tell they used that original color?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:29 PM
summerwind
Registered Member

Watched the video. When the car's ready, does the body shop (heard of Abra?) provide the customer kind of a "walk through" like when you're buying a house to point out the repairs done on the car, etc? Seems like since the work is "guaranteed for as long as you own the car", the only recourse is to bring the car in when problems occur?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Yes, you are entitled to do a full inspection (and I strongly suggest you do so) prior to accepting the vehicle. This IS the best time to have them correct anything you see that isn't proper and ask questions.

Also ask how long they recommend before doing a regular wash w/ soap, and how long before you can do a detail (buffing of the clearcoat).

If you don't feel adept at identifying paint issues you might see if anyone you know or work with can lend their help when you go to pick up your car.
summerwind (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:26 PM
summerwind
Registered Member

Thanks so much blnewt! You've been very helpful and so are the members of this forum. Great job with this forum. I'll keep you posted.