Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 06:29 PM
luisf90s
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the fitment of my top speed pro 1 Exhaust!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Geno37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone here have a set up with fast intentions resonated test pipes with the motordyne?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Geno37x
anyone here have a set up with fast intentions resonated test pipes with the motordyne?
I can't recall who here has that exact setup but MaQ has the MD with ART pipes and headers, so while not exact, his setup should sound similar to what you're asking for.

Those should help.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got my FIRHFC shipment notification
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (01-12-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:43 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
The noise of my car is starting to wear on me, and I think I'm going to end up doing something else. I was poking around to see what would fit, (started by just looking for a y-pipe with resonators) and I found several threads regarding a mod to the Invidia Q300 that allowed it to fit. When I went looking at prices for a Q300 catback, I found a site that claims a revision allows them to fit the AWD models:

https://www.lmperformance.com/735381...tem-07-16.html

Oddly, they don't make the same claim on the stainless tips model:
https://www.lmperformance.com/735383...tem-07-16.html

The picture looks the same, and the same as the system has always looked as far as I can tell. Does this make any sense? I don't see that same claim anywhere else.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Is it true that all brands of test pipes work with awd except for art pipes?

Last edited by VQCrew; 01-13-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Originally Posted by woofersus
The noise of my car is starting to wear on me, and I think I'm going to end up doing something else. I was poking around to see what would fit, (started by just looking for a y-pipe with resonators) and I found several threads regarding a mod to the Invidia Q300 that allowed it to fit. When I went looking at prices for a Q300 catback, I found a site that claims a revision allows them to fit the AWD models:

https://www.lmperformance.com/735381...tem-07-16.html

Oddly, they don't make the same claim on the stainless tips model:
https://www.lmperformance.com/735383...tem-07-16.html

The picture looks the same, and the same as the system has always looked as far as I can tell. Does this make any sense? I don't see that same claim anywhere else.
Update: I got in touch with LM Performance and they say both are compatible. (and immediately updated their product descriptions) I guess we won't know for sure until somebody tries it, but given the relatively simple modification needed if it's wrong, I think I'm going to give it a chance once I save up a few bucks. Pretty great price, too.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Hi Wooferus. I'll chime in here since I've been through 4 or 5 different exhaust systems on my car over the past 9 or 10 years. I'm very sensitive to drone and have switched my exhaust several times trying to find the perfect set-up for me. I found that you really have to keep the OEM mid-pipe in order to eliminate or even minimize the drone in our cars. I did have the Invidia cat back exhaust with their resonated crossover pipe on the car for a couple of years. Although it is one of the quieter exhaust set-ups I've had, the the freeway drone finally got to me and I had to pull it off. I ended up with a Tanabe axle back used in conjunction with the Tanabe Y-pipe and OEM resonated mid-pipe. I'm also running the OEM cats, but the Berk HFC's also sounded pretty good with this set-up with minimal drone. I've also heard of people replacing the OEM resonators in the OEM mid-pipe with after market units and have also considered trying that, but am a little reluctant to try anything new.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:00 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Hi Wooferus. I'll chime in here since I've been through 4 or 5 different exhaust systems on my car over the past 9 or 10 years. I'm very sensitive to drone and have switched my exhaust several times trying to find the perfect set-up for me. I found that you really have to keep the OEM mid-pipe in order to eliminate or even minimize the drone in our cars. I did have the Invidia cat back exhaust with their resonated crossover pipe on the car for a couple of years. Although it is one of the quieter exhaust set-ups I've had, the the freeway drone finally got to me and I had to pull it off. I ended up with a Tanabe axle back used in conjunction with the Tanabe Y-pipe and OEM resonated mid-pipe. I'm also running the OEM cats, but the Berk HFC's also sounded pretty good with this set-up with minimal drone. I've also heard of people replacing the OEM resonators in the OEM mid-pipe with after market units and have also considered trying that, but am a little reluctant to try anything new.

Thanks for that suggestion. I think one of the problems I have is that the OEM midpipe (not sure if just AWD or all sedans?) is one of the points of restriction I'm looking to eliminate. I want the improved flow because I'm going to get a tune.

I guess I don't think I'm that terribly sensitive - it's pretty damn loud. I think the FI RHFC's going into the stock y-pipe and then opening back up to the 2.25" y-back might be a problem too. It's not just loud, it doesn't sound that good to me. Or maybe I'm just really picky about sound and it's more that than volume level...

Either way, I recognize the inherent risk, but there seems to be some consensus that the Q300 is the quietest full catback I can get other than stock.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Anybody know how the invidia exhaust would sound like with resonated test pipes? Any videos of it?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:40 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by VQCrew
Anybody know how the invidia exhaust would sound like with resonated test pipes? Any videos of it?
I had that for like 3 weeks? It's quiet, not much volume at all. No drone.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:44 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
I had that for like 3 weeks? It's quiet, not much volume at all. No drone.
Well, that sucks. All the exhausts for the sedan are super quiet except for gt haus and motordyne. Oh well, time to go custom then.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
All the exhausts for the sedan are super quiet except for gt haus and motordyne.
No, that's not right. You're not taking into account high-flow cats and test pipes, resonated or otherwise. And there are other catbacks out there which are hardly "super quiet". ARK, Fast Intentions, MXP, Borla (for the coupe)... probably others, but those off the top of my head.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Well, that sucks. All the exhausts for the sedan are super quiet except for gt haus and motordyne. Oh well, time to go custom then.
Rochester is right. With all of the options out there there are countless setups to choose from. Idk what your “super quiet” is based off of, but MD is loud by any standard and GTHaus is wake the dead loud. I went from Motordyne to Ark and couldn’t be happier. MD is loud as f*ck, the Ark is still very much noticeable but it’s way more livable on a daily like mine, think rocket engine v. turbine engine. I think your best bet is looking into either Ark or FI and going from there. Also keep in mind you can customize with test pipes and such. FWIW to add to MaQ’s point, the Invidia with unresonated testpipes is pretty loud, he might just be jaded (and maaaaybe a bit deaf) from having a header-back MD setup
Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
You're both in Chicago. Run WOT in front of his house at midnight tonight, and see if he notices.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread