Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Made the demon bolts my be-atch :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:06 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Used the Z1 gaskets w/ a thin coat of High Temp RTV Red, I reused the OEM 2 bolt Y pipe multi gaskets w/ no RTV. I'm getting an new Y pipe soon but wanted to try it in stages to note any changes in tone/performance.
I really need to try this. I have some pretty good rasp that almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but i've had it checked twice by the shop that installed them and everything looks sealed correctly. Probably just the craptastic gaskets that are included. I used the cheap junk gaskets on the exhaust manifold side and the OEM gaskets on the y pipe side.

What y pipe are you going with? Is the rest of the exhaust stock?

Last edited by jfisher; 03-16-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:24 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Brad does your car have a strong smell of raw Fuel?
Anytime you remove a catalytic converter this is going to happen.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Good job, Brad! Glad to see you doing something with your car again, and particularly a worthy mod like this.

(psst: motor mounts, motor mounts, motor mounts, LOL)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:02 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by jfisher
What y pipe are you going with? Is the rest of the exhaust stock?
Just those Y pipes you see on Ebay more than likely (in the $150 range), and I have the Top Speed Y back exhaust.

As far as fuel smell, noticed a bit, not much TBH, I was initially overwhelmed by the burning ATF mix that I slathered on the bolts.
The exhaust smell seems to be something I could live with since I rarely am idling in stopped traffic.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Just those Y pipes you see on Ebay more than likely (in the $150 range), and I have the Top Speed Y back exhaust.

As far as fuel smell, noticed a bit, not much TBH, I was initially overwhelmed by the burning ATF mix that I slathered on the bolts.
The exhaust smell seems to be something I could live with since I rarely am idling in stopped traffic.
Ah makes sense. How do you plan on transitioning from the 3" outlet on the ebay Y pipe to your Top Speed Y?

I rarely notice the "raw fuel" smell with the cats being gone when I'm in the car, but it's very noticeable to me when I'm outside the car especially on a cold start. I kinda like it though so doesn't bother me one bit lol.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:31 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Ah makes sense. How do you plan on transitioning from the 3" outlet on the ebay Y pipe to your Top Speed Y?

I rarely notice the "raw fuel" smell with the cats being gone when I'm in the car, but it's very noticeable to me when I'm outside the car especially on a cold start. I kinda like it though so doesn't bother me one bit lol.
Ewww! Backing my car into the garage every evening would have me and my kids falling over !
Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
great write up I ll be attempting this soon! what did you use to take out the o2 sensors and put them back in? a slotted socket?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Been thinking about that Y transition, I may take my mid pipe to the shop and have them cut it back where they could weld a small section of 3" pipe and a new flange. I'll probably try it as is first and if it seems like there's a problem I'll do that.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
great write up I ll be attempting this soon! what did you use to take out the o2 sensors and put them back in? a slotted socket?
I used a box end wrench, once you unplug the connector there's just enough room to slide it over and get to the sensor nut. I then used another box end wrench over one of the sides of the wrench to make more leverage (the hillbilly cheater wrench, lol)

Old 03-16-2016, 02:18 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
awesome thanks brad!

Wasn't sure if I would have enough room to slip the sensor plug through
Old 03-16-2016, 02:27 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Been thinking about that Y transition, I may take my mid pipe to the shop and have them cut it back where they could weld a small section of 3" pipe and a new flange. I'll probably try it as is first and if it seems like there's a problem I'll do that.
Be sure to keep us posted on this please
Old 03-16-2016, 04:50 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Any cel light yet?
And is the raw fuel smell due to needing a tune ?

I may add a set of HFC's since you made it look somewhat easy. BUT......I do live in ca and would have to change them out every few years for smog. Now i dont' know again.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Any cel light yet?

I may add a set of HFC's since you made it look somewhat easy. BUT......I do live in ca and would have to change them out every few years for smog. Now i dont' know again.

ahh, the good 'ol days of California smog testing....I remember keeping my stock set of cats and swapping them in every other year for the smog tests when I was running BERK HFC's in my M35. What also helped with the fuel smell was when I ran the Motordyne xyz pipe (ypipe) + HFC module. I'm not sure if MD makes the xyz pipe for the g37 - haven't visited the site or talked with Tony in a long while, but that would be ideal.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Any cel light yet?

Once you get them changed out be SURE to apply copper based anti seize to all exhaust bolts, this will make any future work much easier. If it were a yearly swap I'd say no, but 3+ years I would for sure do it

As far as the raw fuel, it's not overwhelming, at least standing behind the car in the garage (standing outside). I doubt I'd want to be backing into my garage on a regular basis though. And yes, the fuel odor is to be expected w/ test pipes since there's no catalyst in the exhaust stream to break down most of the emissions.

Originally Posted by CPJ LB
ahh, the good 'ol days of California smog testing....I remember keeping my stock set of cats and swapping them in every other year for the smog tests when I was running BERK HFC's in my M35. What also helped with the fuel smell was when I ran the Motordyne xyz pipe (ypipe) + HFC module. I'm not sure if MD makes the xyz pipe for the g37 - haven't visited the site or talked with Tony in a long while, but that would be ideal.
MD does make the xyz pipes for Gs that come w/ just the pipes, a resonated chamber, or the catted resonated chamber. Pretty slick setup that I think starts at about $400 and goes up to $550 range IIRC.

Got my G cleaned up today w/ a few more spirited rasp-free, CEL-free runs, should get a sound/vid clip tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
guy from norcal (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 04:44 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I need to try the RTV + gasket combo. How much did you torque down your exhaust bolts, especially the HFC ones?