Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I take my car through the car wash almost weekly.
Never done it. Not even once, going on seven years now.

But in the winter I do take it through the touchless laserwash. Sucks waiting in line for that, though.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I've heard such mixed things on how often you're supposed to wax your vehicle. Some guy that was far too obsessed with having a clean vehicle told me to wax the G every 3 weeks - no way in hell.

I can't bring myself to care about a clean car anymore. Having a black car will do that to you. I clean it every few weeks and wax it every two months to prevent any rust or clear coat fading.
I can't agree with that at all. My 7 series was black, my wife's S60 is black and thought they are a pain in the butt to keep clean I can't stand a car that just has not been cleaned. I wax my cars at least once a year, rarely use "auto" washes. I'm not a fanatic but I do believe in a clean car
Old 05-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

But in the winter I do take it through the touchless laserwash. Sucks waiting in line for that, though.
It will probably cause you heart palpitations, but it's not even a touchless car wash I go through
Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
I can't agree with that at all. My 7 series was black, my wife's S60 is black and thought they are a pain in the butt to keep clean I can't stand a car that just has not been cleaned. I wax my cars at least once a year, rarely use "auto" washes. I'm not a fanatic but I do believe in a clean car
Instead of generalizing, I should've added that I live in an apartment with no garage and I park under a tree.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:10 PM
NH G37xS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Currently in the process of wrapping my window trim (everything is cut, just haven't applied). With the extra gloss black wrap I'm thinking about wrapping my mirror covers, because why not? I've got a vibrant red sedan.

Then I thought even more about wrapping my mirror caps a brushed aluminum. A friend of mine has a red Audi S4 and I love how the S4's have aluminum mirror caps. I'm running the stock wheels which are silver, and I have a roof rack with silver aero bars. I think everything would tie together nicely.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts on how it would look on the G?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 PM
4WDve

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Audi theme was what inspired me to wrap my mirror caps in aluminum too.
Unfortunately, our G mirror caps donnot have the slick shapes of the European cars. The warp job make the mirrors look very bulky. After a week driving around with them, I decided to remove the warp.
My car is Black tbw
Old 05-17-2018, 12:07 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I've heard such mixed things on how often you're supposed to wax your vehicle. Some guy that was far too obsessed with having a clean vehicle told me to wax the G every 3 weeks - no way in hell.

I can't bring myself to care about a clean car anymore. Having a black car will do that to you. I clean it every few weeks and wax it every two months to prevent any rust or clear coat fading.
I definitely regret getting a black car again. I work in an industrial area so no matter how clean my car is it's covered in a layer of dust at the end of the day. It's never been waxed in the time I've owned it and it gets washed anywhere from twice weekly to once every month or longer in winter.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:24 AM
darklordsep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,
I've had my G for the last two years and have put almost 20,000+ miles on the clock without any mechanical issues. But recently my radiator cracked and the coolant swept into the transmission. I replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission 3 times. The transmission still seems very clunky, does anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:52 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You're saying the trans cooler built into the radiator cracked and coolant mixed with the trans fluid??
Old 05-17-2018, 11:50 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

that's impressive, i cant imagine not going to the car wash...although full disclosure a close friend owns one so he's the ONLY one i go to
Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
that's impressive, i cant imagine not going to the car wash...although full disclosure a close friend owns one so he's the ONLY one i go to
The wife's car, however... each winter we get one of those seasonal, all-you-can-eat passes at the car wash. But not the G. That gets washed by hand only, (or touchless in the winter.)

I'm nearly done with the springtime clay & wax. Just need to do the roof and the front bumper. It takes a while, panel a day kind of thing.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:32 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what paint does everyone use to paint their engine covers? Its gotta be able to take the heat right?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by DollHouz
Its gotta be able to take the heat right?
Surprisingly, no. It doesn't get hot enough to matter, IMO.

Clean and prime, paint evenly with lots of thin coats. You'll be fine.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:51 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Surprisingly, no. It doesn't get hot enough to matter, IMO.

Clean and prime, paint evenly with lots of thin coats. You'll be fine.
oh wow that's good to know i assumed that the engine gets hot so I'd need to take that into account. But you know as they say don't assume you'll only make an *** of u n me thank you 😊
Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I think you assumption and concerns were valid, and the question warranted. What colour you planning on using?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread