Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:56 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
There was a tinter here that did a transitions-type windshield tint. Midsummer sun it was dark. At night it was clear. Neat stuff, but $250 for just the windshield.

My car currently has florida tint - well done, but maybe 15% and a wide stripe on the windshield. If I ever have to replace, I'll go back to 30% bronze so I can get my F16 cockpit back.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
There was a tinter here that did a transitions-type windshield tint. Midsummer sun it was dark. At night it was clear. Neat stuff, but $250 for just the windshield.
Like those transition lenses you see on TV? Oh wow. I wonder if they market this product to satisfy strict tint law states (like NY)? This is worth some research and making a call to the the tint shop.

[edit]

Sent the shop an email, and did some quick google. Not feeling real optimistic that this is a thing.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-06-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:21 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Next thread...

”HeLp! CAr wAs ImPOuNdED... wHY ArE thE CoPs alWAyS mESsInG wITh Me?”
Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Last week I was on a local four-lane, approaching a set of cones merging the two forward lanes into one. I was in the inside lane, and there was a Tesla Model 3 next to me on the right. We each did this little slow-down dance at the same time, him to merge, and me to let him merge. But we goofed up the timing, and the lane was rapidly closing. I guess he made a decision and took the initiative, because suddenly his car launched forward in a way that took my breath away.

Damn, those cars can move like nothing else on the road.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Last week I was on a local four-lane, approaching a set of cones merging the two forward lanes into one. I was in the inside lane, and there was a Tesla Model 3 next to me on the right. We each did this little slow-down dance at the same time, him to merge, and me to let him merge. But we goofed up the timing, and the lane was rapidly closing. I guess he made a decision and took the initiative, because suddenly his car launched forward in a way that took my breath away.

Damn, those cars can move like nothing else on the road.
Electrics are awesome with 100% torque on tap at all times.

Its sad they are the largest cause for urban smug problems.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:15 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

If I could have afforded a CPO tesla S when it was time to get this car, I would have. They look amazing and move like crazy, even the earlier lower-output models. Electrical motor performance curve vs. ICE. Sadly, I'll never own one. Public Assistance law just doesn't pay that well, except for the student loan benefits.

I've always thought the windshield tint, "transitions' style or not, was pretty suspect. Had a neighbor with extreme light sensitivity (he worked nights lol) who got a dr.'s letter allowing him to have tint on the windshield...

But as I age and my eyes lose their sensitivity (hello glasses, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration) I really don't want a permanent filter between me and what I'm barrelling towards. I have Oakleys for that and I can take them off easily enough...
Old 05-06-2019, 06:42 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
So i was stopped at light today and this guy in a big truck pulls up and is looking at my front wheel. I look over and ask whats up and he's like "DANG YOU GOT SOME SERIOUS BRAKES ON THAT THING! I bet that stops on a dime!"
I thought that was pretty funny. I don't really get any comments when driving the G, usually I get a bunch driving the s2k.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:38 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Cutting my fenders tomorrow. Been putting it off... nervous lol.
Understandably so! It's natural to be nervous anytime you have to cut or drill the body of your car. Good luck with that, Supra!

Originally Posted by rotarymike
If I could have afforded a CPO tesla S when it was time to get this car, I would have. They look amazing and move like crazy, even the earlier lower-output models. Electrical motor performance curve vs. ICE. Sadly, I'll never own one. Public Assistance law just doesn't pay that well, except for the student loan benefits.
I don't think I could or will ever own an electric car either, but for different reasons. I was thinking of buying a Tesla a few years back and drove a Model S P90d but came away unimpressed. Yes, I was slammed back in my seat under full acceleration and that was fun (for a few seconds), but other than that the car just felt big and heavy and there wasn't any visceral feeling... no engine rumble, no exhaust noise, no intake noise, no blow-off valve popping... none of those things that truly make me want and love to drive a car were there... just pure boredom. Unless, of course, you are accelerating full blast in a straight line, but you can't even do that too often without having to find a recharging station. I'll stick to my good ol' environmentally unfriendly petrol cars thank you very much... Ok, I'm off my soap box now... I know there are lots of people on here that love the Tesla and there's nothing wring with that... to each their own.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
Exactly!

Also, the interior is blah. I mean, it's nice, but not 6 figures kind of nice.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:11 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I'll be fine with an EV commuter car, if/when the time comes. And automakers are only going to commit more and more showroom space to EVs, from both regulatory and consumer pressure. I think the ICE will be phased out similar to the manual transmission...in X years, you'll have a hard time finding a new one.

But I'd still like to have something mechanical for weekend drives (which very well may be the G, since it's still under 30k mi).
Old 05-08-2019, 02:21 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Tesla has to be all avante-garde to get the investment dollars. Hence the high relative prices (even for the model 3) and bland silicon valley interior, IMHO.

I'll be WAY more interested in electric when Toyota or Mazda makes an all-electric Corolla or Mazda3 hatch. IE - normal livable car with near-normal pricing that happens to be electric.

Electric can be fun - I drove a 1st gen RX7 that had been converted to electric, and it was neat. Used a large forklift motor. Batteries in front to keep it from wheellieing itself to death. Would lift the front wheels 2' off the ground with the motor controller set to max discharge. With it limited, was actually pretty tractable... not bad for a homebrew.

I'm hoping to keep the G37 for at least 5 more years - not just because I'm paying for it, but because right now there aren't decent manual-transmission options in sedan-land. I'd say I'll get a 370Z or whatever current Z model is when I don't need a child seat anymore, but there's a good chance that the Z cars will be auto-only by then. Hell, it's been how long since the Z has been refreshed?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:40 PM
leinad_02
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So Today I figured out how to not get the 5th gear grind. I’ve only had it like 6 weeks. Don’t start the shift until 3500 rpms

I’ve only had one other stick shift and it was a 2000 Honda prelude. I think somebody once said “Hondas are the fisher price of manual cars”. They were right, this beast doesn’t like being babied.

Also finally found a set of G35 Rays for $420 here in San Antonio, anybody know a good place that does wheel repair or powder coating?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
Exactly!

Also, the interior is blah. I mean, it's nice, but not 6 figures kind of nice.
Yeah, I also agree that the interior is lacking. Your basically getting an average family sedan interior for the price of a loaded E-Class or base S-Class. Speaking of the S-Class.... I looked at an S63 AMG Coupe the other day and that has got to be one of the nicest interiors I have ever sat in. The driver's seat made me wish I could buy one for my family room!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by leinad_02
So Today I figured out how to not get the 5th gear grind. I’ve only had it like 6 weeks. Don’t start the shift until 3500 rpms

I’ve only had one other stick shift and it was a 2000 Honda prelude. I think somebody once said “Hondas are the fisher price of manual cars”. They were right, this beast doesn’t like being babied.

Also finally found a set of G35 Rays for $420 here in San Antonio, anybody know a good place that does wheel repair or powder coating?
Can try some better manual trans fluid, might help.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

+ 1 to the above. Now that Redline makes a viscosity mix specifically for our transmissions... I saw a marked improvement in syncro function in the higher gears.

Redline MT85, took me more time to get the car up than to change the fluid. Make sure you open the fill port plug before removing the drain plug lol.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread