Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
The Z1's are pain to get off after they sit awhile btw. Make sure you have a good chisel at home.
That can happen. Put a thin layer of Anti-Seize between the two surfaces, and problem solved.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
How much should I ask for if I decide to sell my 19" black powder coated Coupe wheels with brand new tires on them ballpark? Condition I'd say is good.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:24 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Seems like the Tires & Wheel forum would be a better place to ask this question.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:23 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Ordered my Centric rotors/pads, Swift springs, and Z1 spacers last week. Just got the Z1 spacers in and they look good - no defects that I can see.

I think by now I've read every single Swift spring thread on this site. I noticed some people installed struts with their springs and I wonder if I should do the same. Do you have to take the strut off to install the spring? If so I think I may order some KYB struts as well.

This morning I looked closer at the front suspension and saw that the previous owner only installed the rear camber kit . From what I'm seeing, I shouldn't need the front camber kit, just the rear. Will the camber in the front be real noticeable?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:58 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Shocks* our cars dont have struts. Struts are integral, our fronts are just a spring over a shock. The front is a tough, several hour job (if youre awd), so if you're able, good idea to throw in a new set while you're at it. Im still running stock shocks up front, KYB rear, but starting to feel the fronts will need swapping soon. Lasted 2 years. As for camber, just from 3 people I know with swifts, myself included, one had -1.5, another had -2.4 and needed upper arms, and I had/have -1.9 up front. A bit out of spec, but actually feels better cornering. Seems like every car is different.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:43 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hexotic
Shocks* our cars dont have struts. Struts are integral, our fronts are just a spring over a shock. The front is a tough, several hour job (if youre awd), so if you're able, good idea to throw in a new set while you're at it. Im still running stock shocks up front, KYB rear, but starting to feel the fronts will need swapping soon. Lasted 2 years. As for camber, just from 3 people I know with swifts, myself included, one had -1.5, another had -2.4 and needed upper arms, and I had/have -1.9 up front. A bit out of spec, but actually feels better cornering. Seems like every car is different.
Thanks. I did notice AWD guys seem to have more issues with lowering, and I'm RWD, so hopefully my chances of not needing one are higher. I just don't want to be eating through tires quickly.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Toe is the tire killer.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Thanks. I did notice AWD guys seem to have more issues with lowering, and I'm RWD, so hopefully my chances of not needing one are higher. I just don't want to be eating through tires quickly.
Ah, well, with no driveshafts going to the front, its a simple enough job. Can hold onto your oem front shocks till they go. KYB is OEM replacement, so its unnecessary to swap now till the old shocks blow.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 12:55 AM
lektrix
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey friends,

I recently bought a 2012 G37x AWD Sedan (Premium w/ NO NAV) and quickly realized there is no easy way to play / stream audio. I'm in disbelief there is no AUX port. Playing music thru AUX or streaming music thru BT is hugeeeeee for me. Does anyone know if a USB-to-AUX Adapter would work, such as this item?? LINK @
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-30-2018, 10:01 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lektrix
Hey friends,

I recently bought a 2012 G37x AWD Sedan (Premium w/ NO NAV) and quickly realized there is no easy way to play / stream audio. I'm in disbelief there is no AUX port. Playing music thru AUX or streaming music thru BT is hugeeeeee for me. Does anyone know if a USB-to-AUX Adapter would work, such as this item?? LINK @ https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Headp.../dp/B00NMXY2MO
Dang, I thought every car at least had Bluetooth.

From the FAQ on that item:
"Will the USB-AUDIO work with my TV, gaming console or car?

No. The audio adapter will only functions with Windows, OS X and Linux/BSD which is accessible and configurable."

So I'm thinking no, but if you're a wizard you might be able to get it working. It's real disappointing that they didn't include an aux output, almost as disappointing as the cup holders.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:00 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by lektrix
Hey friends,

I recently bought a 2012 G37x AWD Sedan (Premium w/ NO NAV) and quickly realized there is no easy way to play / stream audio. I'm in disbelief there is no AUX port. Playing music thru AUX or streaming music thru BT is hugeeeeee for me. Does anyone know if a USB-to-AUX Adapter would work, such as this item?? LINK @ https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Headp.../dp/B00NMXY2MO
Any USB thing you find will suck. It just will. Do this even though it's more expensive: https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ipped-car.html
Old 09-30-2018, 08:26 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Crazy how easily our cars oversteer (think that's the right term) after turning TCS off. Tapped it off for giggles the other day, and took a hard U-turn off a red light...rear wheels slid out waaaaaaayy further than expected, felt great, especially once they started pushing the car again.

I imagine if I actually knew how to control the car, it'd make it a lot more fun to drive. Until then, I'll remain terrified and leave TCS on.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Crazy how easily our cars oversteer (think that's the right term) after turning TCS off. Tapped it off for giggles the other day, and took a hard U-turn off a red light...rear wheels slid out waaaaaaayy further than expected, felt great, especially once they started pushing the car again.

I imagine if I actually knew how to control the car, it'd make it a lot more fun to drive. Until then, I'll remain terrified and leave TCS on.
As long as traffic is elsewhere, and the location seems safe enough (no curbs or ditches), you should turn TC off more often and play. The G can be all kinds of fun in intersections. You've got aftermarket sways, right? Otherwise the understeer is unbearable, oversteer becomes a correction, and then everything gets messed up.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:33 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Nope, bone stock except OEM wheel swap, some black vinyl and a couple of LED bulbs

Really should start doing some mods that matter, had a shift in priorities as of late but plan to get to it...
Old 10-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Nope, bone stock except OEM wheel swap, some black vinyl and a couple of LED bulbs

Really should start doing some mods that matter, had a shift in priorities as of late but plan to get to it...
Start with swaybars. It's a very straight-forward mod, at a very reasonable cost. Either an afternoon DIY, or 1-2 hours at the shop. It will give your car a sorely needed equilibrium, and you'll never fight with steering again.

I used to work at this office park that had a half-mile of repeating curves, dips and rises. The pavement was clean, and if you approached it aggressively off-hours, the only thing you had to keep an eye out for were deer. Anyway, I distinctly remember trying to take that drive before the sways, and fighting understeer all the way. After the sways, it became point and shoot, and the only suspension drift was oversteer that you could ease in to and out of with the throttle (TC off, of course.)

Enjoy your car, Saint.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread