G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I have DWS06s on my Civic. Love them. In the rain they grip like 95% as hard as in the dry. It's really nuts.

I've heard good things about BFG Comp-2 A/Ss as well. They're a little cheaper than the DWS06s but not as good in the wet
Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Hi-performance summer tires have even better grip in the rain. The only reason these days to buy all-season tires is cold and price.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Hi-performance summer tires have even better grip in the rain. The only reason these days to buy all-season tires is cold and price.
Well a couple other reasons like much higher tread life and typically quieter, and a softer ride, but those reasons shouldn't be boxes checked very often when you drive a sport sedan/coupe.

If you have another car you can drive when it gets to freezing or below, or can run a winter set for those times, then Summers all the way!
Old 07-24-2017, 06:55 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Michelin PSS are very cushy yet the grippiest street tires I've run.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:05 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Michelin PSS are very cushy yet the grippiest street tires I've run.
i have a pair for the summers in boston...little pricy but you pay for quality so.

Also, japan parts no longer sells the rubber cup holder (and more) mats - anyone know of a place i can get these?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I was up in Canada with the car this past weekend. One of my friends recently purchased a 2008 G37S Coupe 5AT. He did something really interesting with his car. You know how the knee-jerk approach to rotors is to leave the hats black, or paint them black when it's time to clean up? Well, instead of black, he went with silver. Simply took the wirewheel on the drill to the rust, primed and painted.

And it looks incredible. 19" Coupe Sport Rims, Akebono BBK in OEM finish, and the hats on the OEM rotors in silver.

I'm planning on retaining the original components through to Spring 2019, so this might be a great little (little?) winter project.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Speaking of Brakes. Got the Front set of new reman sport calipers, pads, clips, and new rotor blanks for 350 shipped. I already have the longer banjo bolts. When i get them they will already be shiny clean and ready for paint! Think I'll paint the hats Silver! Thanks for the tip
Old 07-28-2017, 08:26 AM
Knightjs
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
It's been 2 days. Where are those pics Zahy??
The following users liked this post:
hexotic (07-28-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
After spending 2 hours on 85 in Atlanta to travel 15 miles, I've decided it's time to upgrade to the RJM clutch pedal assembly.

While I'm fine driving with just the modified return spring 90% of the time, it's that other 10% where the car just feels clumsy. And that point was really driven home when I was stuck in Atlanta traffic. Not really getting out of 1st gear and going from a stop or 2mph up to 10 mph then back to a stop seemingly 5000 times made me decide to finally bite the bullet.

I'll probably order it with my next months cycle of mad money and install over Labor Day weekend when it's hopefully a little cooler.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
After spending 2 hours on 85 in Atlanta to travel 15 miles, I've decided it's time to upgrade to the RJM clutch pedal assembly.

While I'm fine driving with just the modified return spring 90% of the time, it's that other 10% where the car just feels clumsy. And that point was really driven home when I was stuck in Atlanta traffic. Not really getting out of 1st gear and going from a stop or 2mph up to 10 mph then back to a stop seemingly 5000 times made me decide to finally bite the bullet.

I'll probably order it with my next months cycle of mad money and install over Labor Day weekend when it's hopefully a little cooler.
You won't be disappointed!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Here's a tip: the RJM is height-adjustable with 3 bolts, so before removing the OEM pedal, observe the OEM clutch pedal position in relation to the brake pedal. You'll probably want to retain that position. Maybe not, but probably.

Then again, the current model comes entirely pre-assembled.

Either way, you're going to love this mod, Lego. It makes your car much easier to drive.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Here's a tip: the RJM is height-adjustable with 3 bolts, so before removing the OEM pedal, observe the OEM clutch pedal position in relation to the brake pedal. You'll probably want to retain that position. Maybe not, but probably.
I ended up with the clutch pedal slightly higher than the brake, but not as high as the OEM pedal.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:11 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I brought in my car to a shop to have my 2 air compressors replaced along with diagnosing a loud popping noise when moving the steering wheel left to right. At first, he thought it was my inner tie rods. It ended up being my steering rack.

I have the carmax maxcare and decided to take my car to Infinti. They diagnosed it the same way as the previous shop quoting the rack will need replacing. Luckily, the maxcare will cover it even with my car being extensively modified.

So far, it seems like I've had almost every major problem with the G platform. Battery drain, squeaking seat, EVAP leak, steering rack, and my CSC is a ticking time bomb awaiting to go off at 48K miles. Luckily, everything has been taken care of under warranty.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Dopeness

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
I brought in my car to a shop to have my 2 air compressors replaced along with diagnosing a loud popping noise when moving the steering wheel left to right. At first, he thought it was my inner tie rods. It ended up being my steering rack.

I have the carmax maxcare and decided to take my car to Infinti. They diagnosed it the same way as the previous shop quoting the rack will need replacing. Luckily, the maxcare will cover it even with my car being extensively modified.

So far, it seems like I've had almost every major problem with the G platform. Battery drain, squeaking seat, EVAP leak, steering rack, and my CSC is a ticking time bomb awaiting to go off at 48K miles. Luckily, everything has been taken care of under warranty.
Thank you for posting this. I have the MaxCare Warranty through CarMax also. I have had a number of problems come up and have taken my whip to a close friend that is a great mechanic because I was pretty sure that MaxCare would decline coverage due to modding my car. Glad to see I may be wrong about that. I have another 45K coverage through the warranty.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopeness
Thank you for posting this. I have the MaxCare Warranty through CarMax also. I have had a number of problems come up and have taken my whip to a close friend that is a great mechanic because I was pretty sure that MaxCare would decline coverage due to modding my car. Glad to see I may be wrong about that. I have another 45K coverage through the warranty.
Since you're local, I'd recommend checking out Infinti of Boerne. I'd rather bring my car there because they will use OEM Infinti parts. And the deductible is the same no matter which mechanic you use.

They also put me in a Ford Fusion rental for free. It makes me really appreciate my car.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread