Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I really don't know for sure, Lego. And as far as measurable gains go, I won't be in a position to offer hard stats, just impressions. All I can say is that this isn't a mod I'm doing on a whim. I never do mods without long, drawn out consideration. (Wait... Carsmo *****... did that within seconds of seeing them online, LOL)

Five or six years ago, I spent an afternoon at one of the local Ford dealerships. At the time (and maybe it's still this way) the Mustang GT had three options for rear gear final drive ratio. I took two GT's for a long test drive, one right after the other. The first was a 6MT with long gears, and the second was a 6MT with short gears. The difference (to me) was night & day. Loved the short gears.

Also around that time, I borrowed a friend's G37S Vert 6MT. Even though that car is a boat anchor, the short gears in the 6MT Vert made it feel very nimble under 60. At least, that's how I remember things.

Take it for what it's worth, which is just hearsay anyway.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Take it for what it's worth, which is just hearsay anyway.
At least we can take solace in knowing its much deliberated hearsay
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
So these showed up today. I immediately put them on the dining room table, for 4DRZ to enjoy.

I look forward to your observations

Does anything need to be reprogrammed to prevent the ABS / TCS / Cruise control system from complaining about the diff change?

Keep in mind: With the 4.08 diff, first gear the peak wheel torque will increase by about 300 foot/lbs and second gear will increase by just under 200.

This should help reduce some of that understeer!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Does anything need to be reprogrammed to prevent the ABS / TCS / Cruise control system from complaining about the diff change?
Not insofar as anything I've read or am aware of. I believe there's an issue with losing Cruise Control when swapping gears on the AT, but not the 6MT. But I kind of glossed over it, because 6MT.

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
At least we can take solace in knowing its much deliberated hearsay
Hahaha, very true. Suppose I'm as much to blame as anyone, too.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:39 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Can anyone recommend a good set of interior LEDs that 1) are similar brightness to OEM lights and 2) are pure white (no blue tint)? Put LEDs in my old car, but they were far too bright (blinding even) and had an undesirable blue hue.

Reached out to VLED & DD about this but came up inconclusive.

Any help much appreciated, thanks
What kind of LEDs are you running right now that are too bright?

For PURE WHITE and none of that blue/purple hue lighting I can only recommend VLEDs. They offer 5K or 6K. Go with 5K for pure white.

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Phillips makes the best interior LEDs, some of the best LEDs in general. If you go on their website, they have a bulb finder for each specific vehicle. Select your year, model G37 and pick which bulbs you want. It'll tell you which bulbs are needed for each application.
I wouldn't say Philips makes the best interior LEDs... They are typically 6000K and gives off a blue/purple color. I have philips bulbs.

Replacement interior bulbs are inexpensive, so one way to look at this project is to not sweat the details, buy some bulbs, and choose for yourself.

Here's another bit of advice: more often than not, replacement interior LED lighting sucks for practical use. It might look really fascinating, but when it comes to being useful, it doesn't work as well as the OEM incandescent bulbs. So if you buy into that opinion, I recommend you focus on bulbs labeled as "warm white".
I completely disagree. Sure, if you buy some LED bulbs using technology from 2010 than yes the light output is going to suck and be inferior compared to OEM incandescents.

However with higher quality bulbs now readily available, it just doesn't make any sense to stick with incandescent bulbs.

The good quality LEDs available on the market today are hands down brighter than incandescents and are available in various colors like warm white, 5k pure white, or 6k white depending on the company. I don't see VLEDs offering "warm white" much. Why anyone would "upgrade" to LEDs but than use "warm white" as a color is beyond me. Sure for home interior lighting it makes sense. For a car? Not in my opinion.

These are about 2x brighter compared to OEM incandescents and it's only A SINGLE LED bulb. I use these for my license plate lights in 5k. They are VERY bright and white.

These are easily 3-4x brighter than OEM incandescents.

Here are the 360 style ones if you want these instead.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe...ight_color=981

Last edited by qmantran; 01-22-2017 at 01:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by qmantran:
Rochester (01-22-2017), STownSaint (01-22-2017), VIVID (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You make a fair point. This is new tech, improving year over year with huge gains.

Time for me to rethink that opinion.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:35 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Thanks for the advice, will likely place an order with VLED next week.

Sidenote: anyone with tan or stone interior install a black shift **** and boot? If so, can you please share photos?

Reason I ask, I've given up on trying to find aftermarket **** and boot that will match my stone interior, so I think my best option is to go with black (either leather or alcantara, not a fan of metal ****).

My thinking is there is a good enough of black accents throughout the interior (gauges, switches, cupholders, etc etc) that the black **** & boot won't look out of place. Maybe sporty even.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:53 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

You make a fair point. This is new tech, improving year over year with huge gains.

Time for me to rethink that opinion.
Softening in old age?

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Reason I ask, I've given up on trying to find aftermarket **** and boot that will match my stone interior
Wait, what? Can you say with a straight face that this shift boot doesn't work with the Stone Interior?

My thinking is there is a good enough of black accents throughout the interior (gauges, switches, cupholders, etc etc) that the black **** & boot won't look out of place. Maybe sporty even.
I wouldn't recommend it. My winter **** is black. It looks... odd.

But it's my winter ****, and I need it, because winter.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:39 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Yes it does look odd, but more by the plastic-y finish and lack of detail than the color IMO.

Sure your setup looks good, but for me, matching the boot and non-metallic **** to the rest of the interior is an uphill battle that I'm not really looking to fight.

I'm even considering a 370Z shift ****. It's spartan but looks cooler to me that the OEM one
Old 01-22-2017, 09:44 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Hmmmmmmm

Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Well, it looks like I will be raising the car quite a bit from what I had it before. I raised it a half inch to approximately 26.25 FTG and I scraped my Motordyne mid muffler on a speedbump at work. While it was slight, it still made me cringe.

Part of me is disappointed because I loved the way it looked at my previous height and had a wheel setup in mind. However, the car does drive better overall and the exhaust tone is intoxicating.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Well, it looks like I will be raising the car quite a bit from what I had it before. I raised it a half inch to approximately 26.25 FTG and I scraped my Motordyne mid muffler on a speedbump at work. While it was slight, it still made me cringe.
That has to be a horrible feeling, wondering if you're actually doing damage, or just scraping things up.

FWIW, I'm at 26.75 FTG all around, and have never scraped bottom. However, it's not like I encounter a lot of speed bumps, so that could mean nothing really.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:37 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
That has to be a horrible feeling, wondering if you're actually doing damage, or just scraping things up.

FWIW, I'm at 26.75 FTG all around, and have never scraped bottom. However, it's not like I encounter a lot of speed bumps, so that could mean nothing really.

I am not sure, I will take a look at it once I get off work. I was just scouring the internet to find other posts from Motordyne owners and it seems the exhaust has quite a bit of adjustment with the V-bands. I may have the car put on a lift and see if I can get any additional clearance.

The Fast Intentions sits quite high. I helped my buddy installed his and I could be sitting at 25.25 FTG without issue if I had that exhaust.

Another interesting thing I found when taking off my Fast Intentions Resonated test pipes. The Z1 Metal gaskets had black soot on certain spots indicating an exhaust leak. Those bolts were torqued to spec and checked twice a thousand miles after they went on. It could be installation error but I think I covered my bases when getting those installed.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Thanks for the advice, will likely place an order with VLED next week.

Sidenote: anyone with tan or stone interior install a black shift **** and boot? If so, can you please share photos?

Reason I ask, I've given up on trying to find aftermarket **** and boot that will match my stone interior, so I think my best option is to go with black (either leather or alcantara, not a fan of metal ****).

Thanksfor the advice, will likely place an order with VLED next week.

Sidenote: anyone with tan or stone interior install a black shift **** andboot? If so, can you please share photos?

Reason I ask, I've given up on trying to find aftermarket **** and boot thatwill match my stone interior, so I think my best option is to go with black(either leather or alcantara, not a fan of metal ****).

My thinking is there is a good enough of black accents throughout the interior(gauges, switches, cupholders, etc etc) that the black **** & boot won'tlook out of place. Maybe sporty even.

I have an auto, but still believe that black is the only way to go even if you have the stone interior like mine. I even added black floor mats, which I think contrast well with the stone carpeting and don't show the dirt nearly as much.

With OEM Sport seats:

Name:  IMG_4732_zpsxhtubs1e.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  191.6 KB

With new seats:

Name:  IMG_0347_zpsxkusbzeu.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  179.2 KB

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread