Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Pretty sure it's your intake that's making all that noise. In 2+ years of trolling this site, I've never once heard of anyone describing the Tanabe Medallion axle-back as an exhaust that howls.
Your probably right, I wish I would have installed the cans first then the intake. Then I would know the difference in the tones. I do know that the exhaust has gotten a bit deeper with the Tanabe's. My wife (NOT A CAR ENTHUSIAST) could tell the difference the day I put them on. After they broke in it has become a little better. I still want a smudge more volume though. Hence the questions regarding the HFC's.

THX
Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
quick question lol

Does anyone know if 19x9.5 +35 volk gts will clear akebonos? Sorry I don't know the disks -.-
They cleared brembos when they were on an evo lol
Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Your probably right, I wish I would have installed the cans first then the intake. Then I would know the difference in the tones. I do know that the exhaust has gotten a bit deeper with the Tanabe's. My wife (NOT A CAR ENTHUSIAST) could tell the difference the day I put them on. After they broke in it has become a little better. I still want a smudge more volume though. Hence the questions regarding the HFC's.

THX
I went intake first too. Rochester suggested allowing some time to get used to the new norm before installing the RHFCs. We'll see what happens when I get them on. I'm hoping to hear them though mire hopeful the butt dyno approves.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:17 PM
defektion
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
Looks like there was a little interest in having some sort of all-encompassing chat thread to talk about this car, give tips and reviews on techniques/products, etc. We had a few of these on the last forum I used to be a part of (8thcivic.com) and there was always a tremendous amount of info gleaned from it.

I guess I'll kick it off with this tip since it seemed well-received/unknown in the other thread I posted it in. When washing my car, I use this product to rinse off the car at the end. It's an RV water filter, but you attach it to the end of a hose and it filters the water, removing most (if not all) of the hard water contaminants. In my area, it cleans the water enough that I don't have to dry the car off and it dries on its own with zero water spots left behind. You can literally wash your car and make it spotless in like 15 minutes with this thing. Hope it helps some of you guys:

Amazon.com: Camco 40043 TastePURE RV Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector: Automotive
Thanks for this tip man!!! This will help come spring when I polish / seal my car for spring.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
^ Yeah, absolutely. I stumbled upon it a few months ago when I was looking at those overpriced, ineffective Mr Clean car wash filters. Saw that, saw a ton of reviews of people using it for the same purpose, and it worked even better than the Mr Clean kit for a much cheaper price. Win win!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts

I'm also thinking about HFC + stock exhaust, so I'm interested to hear some of your opinions on how they sound.

I've been going out at lunch hitting up some auto body shops getting quotes on color matching my grille. Most are in the $300 range, which seems high. At that point, I might as well just get the Infinity Midnight Black grille. Vinyl wrapping it would be another option.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've been going out at lunch hitting up some auto body shops getting quotes on color matching my grille. Most are in the $300 range, which seems high. At that point, I might as well just get the Infinity Midnight Black grille. Vinyl wrapping it would be another option.
IIRC, Custom180 wanted $350 +two-way shipping. Instead, I went local, and spent $275. Still not inexpensive, but that's because Moonlight White is a 3-stage paint. If all I did was have them paint the black slats, it would have been like $100 - $150. Simple black paint, and a lot less effort for the tech to mask.

The black came out 100% perfect. I'm very happy with that. The white trim came out very nice, but simply not as well color-matched as I'd like. It just isn't. Not even a hint of orange peel anywhere, so that's good.

All in all, it was money well spent for a better than OEM look, that happens to look OEM. Here, this is probably my best picture of it. My friend, Matt, took this with his wide-angle lens:

You have to admit, that looks WORLDS better than OEM chrome:

Last edited by Rochester; 12-06-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm also thinking about HFC + stock exhaust, so I'm interested to hear some of your opinions on how they sound.

I got mine painted, looks great but I picked up a rock the first week driving home

I found a place in Memphis that will do it for under $200 but that's wholesale pricing I think. I'm pretty sure blnewt put up a DIY for vinyl wrapping, give a look. I was considering going midnight black but wanted to get rid of as much of the chrome as I could.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wrapping the grill is probably something I'd recommend if you've done a couple other vinyl projects first. It's not really that hard but until you get a feel for how the vinyl stretches and applies it's best to start out on something like your window trim.
Kinda sux already nailing a rock on your grill
The day after I installed my new DRLs in my new bumper a damn rock nailed one and has a big fish-eye
I thought the body shop removed the bullseye on my car but I think they just relocated it
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Wrapping the grill is probably something I'd recommend if you've done a couple other vinyl projects first. It's not really that hard but until you get a feel for how the vinyl stretches and applies it's best to start out on something like your window trim.
Kinda sux already nailing a rock on your grill
The day after I installed my new DRLs in my new bumper a damn rock nailed one and has a big fish-eye
I thought the body shop removed the bullseye on my car but I think they just relocated it
I already bought enough vinyl to do the window trim and grill based on your DIY. So far all I've wrapped is the trunk push button to match the black spoiler I got in the classifieds.

The shops I got quotes from were to color match....maybe I should ask for just plain black...
Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I already bought enough vinyl to do the window trim and grill based on your DIY.
Me too! That was a great write-up.

Although I only wrapped the lower trim pieces. It's unique and subtle, while still allowing for chrome against the moonlight white. It has the effect of lowering the belt-line just a little bit, without raising the top. Full-on black trim against white would be *thin*, if that makes any sense.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I went intake first too. Rochester suggested allowing some time to get used to the new norm before installing the RHFCs. We'll see what happens when I get them on. I'm hoping to hear them though mire hopeful the butt dyno approves.
I did my mods in stages too so I could get used to the new norm before installing another mod... so I went intake first too... a week after I picked up my car and got back to NJ I ordered intakes then few months later ended up getting Berk HFCs (about 2 months ago) and now I ended up getting Invidia CBE
Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
IIRC, Custom180 wanted $350 +two-way shipping. Instead, I went local, and spent $275. Still not inexpensive, but that's because Moonlight White is a 3-stage paint. If all I did was have them paint the black slats, it would have been like $100 - $150. Simple black paint, and a lot less effort for the tech to mask.

The black came out 100% perfect. I'm very happy with that. The white trim came out very nice, but simply not as well color-matched as I'd like. It just isn't. Not even a hint of orange peel anywhere, so that's good.

All in all, it was money well spent for a better than OEM look, that happens to look OEM. Here, this is probably my best picture of it. My friend, Matt, took this with his wide-angle lens:

You have to admit, that looks WORLDS better than OEM chrome:

Dude, that looks amazing. I never would've thought to paint the grill like that. I've owned the car for a week today and the mod bug is already in full force. Crap!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Dude, that looks amazing. I never would've thought to paint the grill like that. I've owned the car for a week today and the mod bug is already in full force. Crap!
Thanks! Got the idea from LOLURMAD, who had it done at 180Custom. When I first saw LOLURMAD's grille, I just about flipped with a "THAT'S IT!!!" moment. It was perfect. So I printed the picture out on photo paper, and set it right here on my desk, taunting me for months.

Somewhere on the Forum there's a person who had this done with his Graphite Shadow S-Sedan, and it looks freaking gorgeous. I suspect it would look better on every color Sedan, with exception to Black, in which case it's just murdered.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-06-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Looks like there was a little interest in having some sort of all-encompassing chat thread to talk about this car, give tips and reviews on techniques/products, etc. We had a few of these on the last forum I used to be a part of (8thcivic.com) and there was always a tremendous amount of info gleaned from it.

I guess I'll kick it off with this tip since it seemed well-received/unknown in the other thread I posted it in. When washing my car, I use this product to rinse off the car at the end. It's an RV water filter, but you attach it to the end of a hose and it filters the water, removing most (if not all) of the hard water contaminants. In my area, it cleans the water enough that I don't have to dry the car off and it dries on its own with zero water spots left behind. You can literally wash your car and make it spotless in like 15 minutes with this thing. Hope it helps some of you guys:

Amazon.com: Camco 40043 TastePURE RV Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector: Automotive
So last night I decided to treat myself with a new Karcher pressure washer
( K5.740 ) and MTM Hydro Long-Range Detergent Foamer Attachment to keep my G clean on weekly basis and forgot about the filter that you have mentioned...

my question is how often do you have to replace the filter ?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread