Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

R2C Intake - Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I finally got around to installing a pair of the R2C intakes on my car this past weekend. It was a pretty easy install, only took me two hours to do the entire job one-handed.

I can certainly echo a lot of John's comments and concerns with the kit. I ended up lightly sanding the ends of the tubes where the filters mount up, putting a dab of 5 minute epoxy at the end of each length of rubber molding, and used a set of the Z1 breather tubes. The Z1 tubes look nice and are heavier duty, but they honestly fit no better than the factory tubes. In retrospect, I would have skipped them. I ended up wrapping my fuel line with Super 88 and putting a dab of grease in between the tubes. I'll check on it once a month or so to see if there's any wearing occurring.

Under light acceleration you really can't tell the difference between the factory intakes and the R2C's, but when you get on it, particularly in 3rd gear or higher, it gives you a nice throaty growl up to about 5,800 rpm. Right around 5,800 rpm the tune changes more to a soundtrack of Chewbacca getting hit with a cattle prod. Personally, I think it sounds a bit unrefined in the higher RPM's compared to Honda's 3.5L V-6 with an SRI, but considering how rarely I have the car revved that high, it's really a non-issue.

I have a pretty long drive ahead of me tonight, so I'm interested to see if I have any noticeable change in MPG. As far as any additional power, if it is making more, it's not enough to register on the butt dyno. One of these days I'll get it on the rollers just for curiosity's sake to see how it stacks up against some of my previous vehicles.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Mattyem
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bionicman
I finally got around to installing a pair of the R2C intakes on my car this past weekend. It was a pretty easy install, only took me two hours to do the entire job one-handed.

I can certainly echo a lot of John's comments and concerns with the kit. I ended up lightly sanding the ends of the tubes where the filters mount up, putting a dab of 5 minute epoxy at the end of each length of rubber molding, and used a set of the Z1 breather tubes. The Z1 tubes look nice and are heavier duty, but they honestly fit no better than the factory tubes. In retrospect, I would have skipped them. I ended up wrapping my fuel line with Super 88 and putting a dab of grease in between the tubes. I'll check on it once a month or so to see if there's any wearing occurring.

Under light acceleration you really can't tell the difference between the factory intakes and the R2C's, but when you get on it, particularly in 3rd gear or higher, it gives you a nice throaty growl up to about 5,800 rpm. Right around 5,800 rpm the tune changes more to a soundtrack of Chewbacca getting hit with a cattle prod. Personally, I think it sounds a bit unrefined in the higher RPM's compared to Honda's 3.5L V-6 with an SRI, but considering how rarely I have the car revved that high, it's really a non-issue.

I have a pretty long drive ahead of me tonight, so I'm interested to see if I have any noticeable change in MPG. As far as any additional power, if it is making more, it's not enough to register on the butt dyno. One of these days I'll get it on the rollers just for curiosity's sake to see how it stacks up against some of my previous vehicles.
Great review, thanks for this
Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The Z1 tubes look nice and are heavier duty, but they honestly fit no better than the factory tubes. In retrospect, I would have skipped them.
Hmm, that wasn't my experience, but I'm glad you got it worked out.

And thanks for commenting. It's gratifying to see this thread help other people dealing with the details of this intake kit.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hmm, that wasn't my experience, but I'm glad you got it worked out.

And thanks for commenting. It's gratifying to see this thread help other people dealing with the details of this intake kit.
Yeah, thanks for starting the thread. As far as the Z1 tubes, did yours really fit perfectly? The geometry of my passenger side tube just didn't match the space it needed to fit into. It required some real manipulation to get fitted up, and definitely rubs the fuel line.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah, thanks for starting the thread. As far as the Z1 tubes, did yours really fit perfectly? The geometry of my passenger side tube just didn't match the space it needed to fit into. It required some real manipulation to get fitted up, and definitely rubs the fuel line.
It's hard to speak definitively about it... kind of removed from the moment, having had this intake kit now for four years. Although I do take everything apart each spring for cleaning. And once during the winter, typically. So with all that in mind, yes, the driver's side is most certainly the better fit for the Z1 Tube, or any tube configuration for that matter. The passenger side, though... that's still very tight, and things rub. IIRC, I just pushed the fuel line away. You don't have to be gentle with it.

I should go out to the garage and look at the situation while this is fresh.

[edit]

OK. The passenger side is still tight, years later, even with the Z1 tubes. Point in fact, the Z1 tube is touching the reinforced rubber section of the fuel line. However, there's no pressure in that contact, and neither component has any actual distress from rubbing against one another. In other words, everything is fine.

Here's a pic:

...and here's another. Lot of shiny bits, LOL. It's been a gentle winter so far.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-06-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

I just wanted to follow up on my previous review and note that you should DEFINITELY retighten every nut and bolt after a couple weeks. I had everything snugged up really well after the initial install, but just about everything required some retightening after 2 weeks and 500 miles. I also have to reinforce the fact that in everyday driving, you'll pretty rarely hear a difference between the stock intakes and the R2C's. You really need to be ripping on the car to make these things sing.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

If you're considering using those hose clamps from P2M, you'll have to do a little bit of customization, and a little bit of compromise. The 2.75" clamps work just fine up at the throttle body. But that diameter is too wide for the neck of the R2C filters, do you have to go with the next size down, which is 2.5".

There's a problem here, however, because the P2M bands are wider than typical worm-clamps, by about 2mm to 3mm. And as you know, the R2C filters have a band-sized grove around their neck. So in order to make them fit, you have to cut the groove wider... which you might think is a simple matter, but the rubber is really resilient. It's a real PITA. I ended up with a less than perfect effort. Fortunately, you really can't see it unless you get inches away and really eyeball the situation with super critical judgement. For the most part, the clamps are *hidden* deep into the heat shield. Anyway, that's compromise #1.

Compromise #2 is that 2.5" just barely works. Ideally, something between that and 2.75", like 2.63". But it does function, even if I'd like more thread count.

Overall, these bands are very noticeably more secure than worm-clamps. They really are superior. And they look pretty slick, too.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-26-2017 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
G37XS13 (08-22-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Speedylifsavr

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Great information about this intake. I am very interested in getting this. I am having a hard time finding one for my 2013 G37 Sedan. I found 1 web site , but only listed them for 07-09 G37. Is there a big difference in the intake setup between 09 and '13?

link:
R2C CAI10504 MaxxFlow Cold Air Dual Intake System 07-09 Infiniti G37
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

AFAIK, they should be the same 2007 - 2013. You could always email R2C and ask.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:08 PM
joe32288
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has as good spot to order these. I tried ordering these same intakes in black nickel (so pretty!) directly from R2C last year. They had terrible communication and I ended up canceling my order after waiting over 3 months. (They were having issues with their manufacturer, so hopefully better now). Also, how has your finish on the intake tubes held up? R2C told me they had to temporarily halt the black nickel version because it was too prone to chipping. Last time I checked (May 17) they were working on finding a new manufacturer to produce the black nickel finish in higher quality.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe32288
Also, how has your finish on the intake tubes held up? R2C told me they had to temporarily halt the black nickel version because it was too prone to chipping. Last time I checked (May 17) they were working on finding a new manufacturer to produce the black nickel finish in higher quality.
Five years later, mine are starting to peel on the welded outside flange which is flat against the backside of the heat shields. I'm not happy about it, but it's almost impossible to see unless you take everything apart.

The finish on the pipes themselves are still holding up, IMO. But I take them apart and clean everything once a year, and that might be helping. Don't really know.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 PM
VibrantSedan13
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I think I remember you saying that you might go with Takeda, any updates on if you might still go that route?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by VibrantSedan13
I think I remember you saying that you might go with Takeda, any updates on if you might still go that route?
Still might, but not this year. I volunteered to curtail car mod expenses this year, as my oldest is going off to college. Typically spend $2k to $4k a year on stuff, but this year it's just essentials and minor things.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Still might, but not this year. I volunteered to curtail car mod expenses this year, as my oldest is going off to college. Typically spend $2k to $4k a year on stuff, but this year it's just essentials and minor things.
You will be so happy when that day will come. Changing r2c to CAI is the best MOD I have done.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dzionassi
You will be so happy when that day will come. Changing r2c to CAI is the best MOD I have done.
Best mod? You're kidding, right?

Quick Reply: R2C Intake - Lessons Learned