Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:25 PM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully this smooths out the shifting in stop-and-go traffic. The last time I got stuck in traffic I thought that the transmission was going to fall out of the car or one of the prop shafts was going to drop.

Thankfully we have a manumatic(sp?) mode.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:29 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driving the G in highway with no traffic is a blast. But driving it in NYC stop-and-go traffic is no fun. I usually shift to DS mode and it help a little in traffic.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Chico

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
My G is not as smooth as it should be especially at about 40 MPH. Gear change at that speed is rough sometimes, but sometimes not depending on if I gas it enough or not. In addition, sometimes it lag when I need to accelerate...it respond after a second which could be dangerous if I need to get out of trouble.

Just based on reading from this forum, I assume a lot of G owners are having tranny issues one way or the other.
I noticed the lag in my G37 too. That is due to the transmission downshifting to slowly when you floor it. It's a common problem with most ATs. I used to have a GTI with DSG and the shifting was incredibly quick. I can really tell the difference.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Redfox

Results of 7AT transmission reflash

Had this reflash performed as part of my 15,000 mile service on my 2009 G37 Journey sedan. It cleared up all my rough shifting problems. Transmission now operating very smoothly - up or down shifting. Now to see if it has adversely effected my gas milage in any manner.
The following users liked this post:
Pato A. Vidal (03-03-2020)
Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 PM
bcohen23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011's?

I just bought my 2011 G37 the weekend of Thanksgiving. Since driving it, I have noticed that it shifts pretty rough on the low end downshifting. It is very noticeable in traffic. I took it to the Infiniti service dept where I bought the car and they told me that the reflash available for the car (that came out for the 2009's) was already installed on my car (all 2011's). TSB ITB10-075 is a different TSB than the 2009 TSB that addressed the hard shifting issue. The service rep said to me that the hard shifting was a lot worse before the 2009 TSB. The 2009 TSB resolved the shifting issue somewhat.

Do you know when TSB ITB10-075 was released?
Do the 2011 G37's come with this TSB update?
Do you have a copy of the TSB?

I would like to show this to them when bringing the car in.

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2010, 01:35 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by IMTASE
This reprogram will reduce the severity of engine braking during decel, reduce the severity of the 2>1 down shift, reduce the amount of flare during the 3>4 and the 4>5 upshift and reduce the shudder/vibration that some feel during light acceleration.
It will also address certain transmission dtc's.
That sounds like a torque converter lock up reprogram.

As TheIvoryG stated. don,t go waiving this at the dealer just to get it done.
You might regret it.

A TSB IS NOT a recall, its an aid to the tech if all other manners of repair fail. It's a last resort fix.
A tech will attempt to rectify your complaint, if he/she cant fix it they will follow the TSB. If the TSB doesnt fix your complaint then a component replacement is advised.
No one has the right to demand it.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by TVPostSound

You might regret it.

A TSB IS NOT a recall, its an aid to the tech if all other manners of repair fail. It's a last resort fix.
A tech will attempt to rectify your complaint, if he/she cant fix it they will follow the TSB. If the TSB doesnt fix your complaint then a component replacement is advised.
On the other hand, we deserve to have a car that is smooth in the first place.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Don't think there's anything else a tech could do to rectify the shifting issues other than getting into the program. I'd be willing to bet 100% of the 09s and easrly 2010 would benefit from the TSB. I'm going to get it done next time I'm going to the dealers' city. I think paying 35-40k for an upscale sedan we DO have a right to demand our transmissions work as they should, or maybe I just have unrealistic expectations.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:55 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by blnewt
Don't think there's anything else a tech could do to rectify the shifting issues other than getting into the program. I'd be willing to bet 100% of the 09s and easrly 2010 would benefit from the TSB. I'm going to get it done next time I'm going to the dealers' city. I think paying 35-40k for an upscale sedan we DO have a right to demand our transmissions work as they should, or maybe I just have unrealistic expectations.
Your expectation is reasonable.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 PM
jb606

You might regret it.

+1
Let the service dept figure out what needs done. If for some reason they can't figure out what's wrong print out the TSB and OFFER it to them. Don't demand they do the work listed in the TSB.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM
PascalT

So how do we know if we should get the TSB or not? The shifting between 1st and 2nd gear is definitely choppy sometimes and I do feel lag in the acceleration. Should I call up my dealer and say "hey my transmission is choppy and I heard there's a TSB about it?"
Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 PM
PascalT

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I usually shift to DS mode and it help a little in traffic.
That's usually my fix for the D mode lag.. otherwise it just feels kinda slow to respond.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:44 PM
dirtymaf

So, this is really timely for me as was planing to bring in my car for an oil change and ask for verification that the original TSB had been applied since I find the shifting to be rough (2009). Once the upcoming blizzard blows by I will get to the dealership and ask them what they think about this update. I'll let everyone know how it works out.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this the "miracle" cure for this crappy 7 AT? I've posted about this since I got the car in June. 2010 G37X. Does this cure the herky-jerky in traffic up and down shifts, the sudden 2 to 1 downshifts, the ****ty response - "hesitation" when you step on the throttle - ? Then this is the Christmas Miracle I've been waiting for.

I will be first on Lione at Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, who has been terrific BTW...
Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 AM
clutch5

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the up/down shift points are adaptive, meaning the computer saves parameters as you drive, and tries to optimize shift points to your "driving style" (which is, I'm guessing, a bunch of saved parameters for each gear transition).

So my question is, what about just clearing the "driving style" memory and letting the computer re-acquire the driving style parameters, to see if that fixes it, before changing the program itself via the TSB? On some cars, the driver can clear the memory without going into the dealer.

If, after clearing the memory and letting the computer re-acquire your driving style parameters you still have the same problem, that would be a more solid argument for changing the program itself.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram