MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Why Does G37 lose so much? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/211382-why-does-g37-lose-so-much.html)

Clax 08-11-2010 02:44 PM

Why Does G37 lose so much?

I just want to start out saying I love my G37, BUT I was looking at video on youtube from the ImportRace channel (just type g37 vs on search and you will find it) as well as importrace.com and I notice G37 lost to almost every kind of car possible on drag. From rsx, mustang, wrx, lancer, just to name a few. The only video showing a G37 win is against a stock SI..... :52:

My question...is it because all those G37 are pre-supercharge? Most of the vids are dated early 09, there isn't a supercharger available for G37 back then? And how well does G37 perform in drag now after supercharge. Anyone have links or vids?

BlackG37Coupe 08-11-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Clax (Post 2950245)
I just want to start out saying I love my G37, BUT I was looking at video on youtube from the ImportRace channel (just type g37 vs on search and you will find it) as well as importrace.com and I notice G37 lost to almost every kind of car possible on drag. From rsx, mustang, wrx, lancer, just to name a few. The only video showing a G37 win is against a stock SI..... :52:

My question...is it because all those G37 are pre-supercharge? Most of the vids are dated early 09, there isn't a supercharger available for G37 back then? And how well does G37 perform in drag now after supercharge. Anyone have links or vids?

It is much heavier than all those cars you listed.

Spathic 08-11-2010 02:51 PM

G37 is a luxury car, not a sports car. It's very heavy for it's class (~3800 lbs for the sedan) whereas most of those cars you mentioned are probably ~1k lbs less. Put the G37 against others in it's class (BMW 3-series, Lexus IS, etc.) and you'll see a closer race...

Clax 08-11-2010 02:52 PM

So no chance for my g37 in drag with whatsoever supercharger?

I dont' think g37 is heavier than the mustang in those vid though...

G37Sam 08-11-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spathic (Post 2950258)
G37 is a luxury car, not a sports car. It's very heavy for it's class (~3800 lbs for the sedan) whereas most of those cars you mentioned are probably ~1k lbs less. Put the G37 against others in it's class (BMW 3-series, Lexus IS, etc.) and you'll see a closer race...

Quoted for truth

If you wanted to hit the dragstrip, buy a drag car :dunno:

Clax 08-11-2010 03:09 PM

But why would ppl drag G37 against the typical tuner drags then? I mean..there isn't just one or two videos...but pages of video show how badly g37 lose...

ucla bruin 08-11-2010 03:10 PM

Yes, get the super charger. Or twin turbo.

Clax 08-11-2010 03:20 PM

Any vid showing drag time after supercharge or twin turbo?

BlackG37Coupe 08-11-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Clax (Post 2950288)
Any vid showing drag time after supercharge or twin turbo?

No cause no one wants to blow up the 11k they put into the motor after the TT :icon30:

ozzypriest 08-11-2010 07:18 PM

Clax - this is not true. FIrst of all, I race people all the time in my G, with just a tune, and I win all the time against older mustangs, hemi charger R/Ts, I can beat just about any other six out there other than a good IS350 driver or a 335i. There are also lots of 8-cyl folks that are not as quick as they think they are. I do a 5.1 0-60 with my tune, otherwise stock. Just last week I beat the crap out of a mustang GT form the early 2000's, came from behind and beat him, and he had a look of 'no this can't be true at all' on his backward'd cap wearin' meth face.

But I digress - there are all kinds of confounds when watching these vids - coupe or sedan G37? Sedan is faster, sometimes remarkably so. MT had a stock G37S at 5 flat. Coupe is bigger and heavier. A fatty, so to speak. they are all in the 5.4-5.6 range it seems, tops.

Also, the other cars in the video may (and probably) have all sorts of modifications, from tunes to bolt-ons to turbos, nitrous and superchargers. Probably lots of dry nitrous shots goin on up in that you tube mess.

G37 owners tend to not drag their cars or modify them very much. It's a different demographic with different wants and needs, so you are going to see supercharged or nitroused G's a lot less then say, an older mustang, F-body pontiac or WRX. So it's not fair to just look at you tube videos and say 'G37's keep getting beat'

All that being said, the G is falling behind in the engine / tranny wars. The G needs direct injection or a turbo, or, most likely, a completely redesigned engine. G needs 30-40 lbs more torque down low and overall, and needs a few more ponies, say up 350 - 360, to keep it competitive. The G needs 13.5-13.2 1/4 mile times and stock sub-5 0-60's. And a hell of a lot better transmission tune. Most other things are good. But it needs a new drivetrain. Shouldn't have to go TT or SC to be competitive with other cars in its class. And a real, mechanical LSD in ALL models. Not the VLSD crap. That would make the 335i crowd very jealous.

Sorry. Conflated a wish list with defense of my G37.

hispeed-lowdrag 08-11-2010 07:25 PM

watching drag videos online is dumb IMO, if you are going to make an argument for a car to be faster/slower than another.

You need to know the mods of the cars, the drivers, etc to really make a call about the closeness of a race (obv not just talking about who wins) and this is all stuff you would know if it were in person. Watching online is really only helpful to observe who wins/loses. But if you want to know WHY then you need to be there

The G37 IS much heavier stock to stock than a lot of the cars you listed. And if you are looking for F/I just for drag purposes (and for all purposes IMO) the TT > SC

Kidcane 08-11-2010 08:39 PM

Because our cars are slow.

Adam West 08-11-2010 08:49 PM

We can bench race all day here about what cars are faster/slower, but in the end it all comes down to the driver, I think you'd be surprised how quick a luxury sedan like the G37 is against a lot of cars.

mindonmatter 08-11-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Adam West (Post 2950485)
We can bench race all day here about what cars are faster/slower, but in the end it all comes down to the driver, I think you'd be surprised how quick a luxury sedan like the G37 is against a lot of cars.

I agree. In the 9 months I've owned my G, I don't think I've ever pulled up next to a stop light next to a car that could/would beat me. If you're going out street racing or at the drag strip, of course you'll find other cars that will beat you. And you would find the same with any car you owned.

cvt 08-11-2010 10:22 PM

it amazes me how some people buy this car and expect to be competitve in anything sporty...i took my G to SoW ONCE...LOL.

never again...LOL

blnewt 08-11-2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mindonmatter (Post 2950500)
I agree. In the 9 months I've owned my G, I don't think I've ever pulled up next to a stop light next to a car that could/would beat me. If you're going out street racing or at the drag strip, of course you'll find other cars that will beat you. And you would find the same with any car you owned.

Not really sure what you're saying, are you saying you've never pulled up to a light and had a Vette or a GTO in the other lane? Or do you mean the cars that pull up next to you aren't interested in seeing who's faster?
I live in a small town and I have people pull up next to me on a daily basis that would dust my G :(

TheLocNar 08-12-2010 12:33 AM

Am I the only one that knows racing at the strip isn't about you vs. the other guy, but really about you and your car? Oh well.

mindonmatter 08-12-2010 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 2950596)
Not really sure what you're saying, are you saying you've never pulled up to a light and had a Vette or a GTO in the other lane? Or do you mean the cars that pull up next to you aren't interested in seeing who's faster?
I live in a small town and I have people pull up next to me on a daily basis that would dust my G :(

I'm sure it's happened, but not that I can think of. Every car that has attempted to race me has failed. I'm not saying I'm the fastest thing out there, it's just rare(for me) to actually be in a situation that I could get beat. I'm actually a little disappointed, I was hoping for more challenges.

Funny enough you mentioned GTO's. A co-worker of mine has a GTO and I smoked him. Not sure if he is a horrible driver or what, but I had him by a full car length by 75mph.

RISKY GUY 08-12-2010 08:30 AM

even with tt, there is a video of a tt350z vs a tt37.
the 37 got abused, by alot.
not a 370z a 350z.
my guess is the tt350z has alot more boost than the tt37.

broke my heart to see that.

if the 37 pulled like it does at high rpm down low, ,aybe it would have a chance.

DmfG37sTT 08-12-2010 09:20 AM

^^ your talking about Alberto's 350z which is in a completly different stage than just a simply TT kit. Completly built motor able to push 605 rwhp at his lowest setting. That 350z is nothing to be messed with.

HOWEVER back on topic. Your got to realize you bought a "luxury" vehicle. Yes its sporty, and yes it has some power but we are dealing with a heavy mofo. G37 are not slow by no means but it takes a bit to get that heavy b!tch movin. If your looking for a drag car get yourself a fox body mustang, vette, camaro.

mystakin 08-12-2010 10:03 AM

my friend was weary about buying a 350z after seeing my g. i showed him that video of Alberto's 350z and i think it persuaded him haha. all in all the g is a luxury car with a kick. it can be very quick with forced induction, but stock or just with bolt ons just enjoy the ride :)

blnewt 08-12-2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mindonmatter (Post 2950723)
I'm sure it's happened, but not that I can think of. Every car that has attempted to race me has failed. I'm not saying I'm the fastest thing out there, it's just rare(for me) to actually be in a situation that I could get beat. I'm actually a little disappointed, I was hoping for more challenges.

Funny enough you mentioned GTO's. A co-worker of mine has a GTO and I smoked him. Not sure if he is a horrible driver or what, but I had him by a full car length by 75mph.

GTO must've been running on 6 cylinders or a really scared driver, lol. I've tried against a 5.7 & a 6.0 and held up OK until about 55mph then it was an ugly view of their taillights :(
Did take a 09 Mustang GT, IS350, all Acuras, and a new Pontiac G8 (but he would have caught up if we kept going).
Obviously any new V8 muscle car will make us look silly such as the new 5.0 412hp Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Challenger RT/SRT. BMWs w/ the twin turbo 6 such as the 335i & 135i will take us, as will the Honda S2000, WRX and Evos.
Always fun to see how we do out there, just be careful when you see what appears to be an IS w/ no badges, could be an IS-F waiting to make you cry :)

JessterCPA 08-12-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by efuseakay (Post 2950643)
Am I the only one that knows racing at the strip isn't about you vs. the other guy, but really about you and your car? Oh well.

Agreed. Plus, at least at the track by me (Englishtown, NJ) you do not get to pick who you go up against. When I had my Subaru, my first night out I was against a pro-stock Truck, a mid-90's Mustang GT, and a current model Civic Si. Luck of the draw.

eksigned 08-12-2010 01:41 PM

^ ^ i come from the acura crew. you'd be surprised how well the tl-s 6mt with a few bolt on holds up. a fully bolted on tl-s 6mt will easily pull away from an is350 @ 100+ simply because the is350s aren't geared well up top. anyways, the tl-s 6mt with a rv6 v3 jpipe hangs VERY well with a g37s 6mt. trust me...:icon17: it doesn't surprise me at all.

on a side note: does anyone know how the G37S 6MT would hold up against the 370Z?

blnewt 08-12-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by eksigned (Post 2950931)

on a side note: does anyone know how the G37S 6MT would hold up against the 370Z?

All the track times I've read has the Z about .1 to .2 seconds faster than the G37 sedan and probably another 10th of a second faster than the coupe. I'd attribute this to slightly less weight and better wind resistance.

Just took a new Genesis coupe at lunch :) pretty close but about a car length in the end at 75mph :)
Spped limit was 75 and he turned off so I didn't break any laws :)

4DOORFUN 08-12-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spathic (Post 2950258)

6MT Sedan weighs 3,615 lbs.

Spathic 08-12-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN (Post 2951064)
6MT Sedan weighs 3,615 lbs.

My 7AT G37xS weighs 3820 lbs. Just weighed it last month for a government move... Guess the MT is lighter.

The Jewbag 08-12-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 2950901)
as will the Honda S2000,

Don't agree with that. I pull on my girlfriend in her s2000 all the time.

Anthony123 08-12-2010 03:43 PM

Ya my buddy has an S2k with exhaust and I beat him all day in a straight line.

DmfG37sTT 08-12-2010 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony123 (Post 2951106)
Ya my buddy has an S2k with exhaust and I beat him all day in a straight line.

You have been a memer since july of 2009 and this is your first post???

4DOORFUN 08-12-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spathic (Post 2951085)
My 7AT G37xS weighs 3820 lbs. Just weighed it last month for a government move... Guess the MT is lighter.

Yes, lighter and faster. Less driveline loss too.

cvroom 08-12-2010 03:54 PM

my g37 just "feels" fast. i dont need to watch youtube videos or race anybody to know. i hit the gas at the light and it kicks my a$$.

DmfG37sTT 08-12-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by cvroom (Post 2951122)
my g37 just "feels" fast. i dont need to watch youtube videos or race anybody to know. i hit the gas at the light and it kicks my a$$.

Do you ever come on this side of the river?

cvroom 08-12-2010 04:02 PM

havent in awhile. yea looks like you could show me a faster G37 :BOOBIES:

Clax 08-12-2010 04:03 PM

So...will TT or SC help or will it not? Does anybody know if those featured race on importrace channel and website that show g37 lost are pre-tt pre-sc or after tt/sc.

Jayhawk815 08-12-2010 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Clax (Post 2951133)
So...will TT or SC help or will it not? Does anybody know if those featured race on importrace channel and website that show g37 lost are pre-tt pre-sc or after tt/sc.

I'm guessing either English isn't your native language or you're a mental midget. Perhaps both? Also, your understanding of racing, engine modification and performance, and dynamics in general is limited.

Sorry for the bashing, but after reading your posts I became a little irritated. First off, if drag racing is your primary focus, a G37 sedan was a poor platform to start with. Sure, it's decently quick bone stock, and can be modified via forced induction and other bolt-ons to greatly increase power, but as others have mentioned, it's a fairly heavy car. You'd have been better off going a different route.

Second, with enough money and know-how, a person can make nearly any car incredibly quick. Some cars are just more easily and less costly tuned. To answer your question, forced induction, whether turbo or supercharging, should give you a significant increase in power. It just depends on what hardware is used, to what pressure it's tuned, what other mods are implemeted, etc.

Without having seen the videos in question, and more importantly, without having seen these cars myself, it's difficult to say if forced induction was used. More important than what cars they were losing to is what times were these G's posting?

End rant.

DmfG37sTT 08-12-2010 05:17 PM

If im not mistaken, the g37 sedans are lighter than the coupes. However I do agree with that your saying. You cant put a Infiniti to the line and exspect it to be a good "drag" car. its power to weight ratio is way off and makes it that much of a lemon on the drag strip. However the G can be a very fun highway car.

DmfG37sTT 08-12-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by cvroom (Post 2951132)
havent in awhile. yea looks like you could show me a faster G37 :BOOBIES:

Absoultly, rides are free as long as your willing to make the trip :) :driving:

TheLocNar 08-12-2010 05:20 PM

No matter how much $ you put into your car, there will always be someone faster.

I'm 100% comfortable with the size of my penis. :)

Clax 08-12-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jayhawk815 (Post 2951175)
I'm guessing either English isn't your native language or you're a mental midget. Perhaps both? Also, your understanding of racing, engine modification and performance, and dynamics in general is limited.

Sorry for the bashing, but after reading your posts I became a little irritated. First off, if drag racing is your primary focus, a G37 sedan was a poor platform to start with. Sure, it's decently quick bone stock, and can be modified via forced induction and other bolt-ons to greatly increase power, but as others have mentioned, it's a fairly heavy car. You'd have been better off going a different route.

Second, with enough money and know-how, a person can make nearly any car incredibly quick. Some cars are just more easily and less costly tuned. To answer your question, forced induction, whether turbo or supercharging, should give you a significant increase in power. It just depends on what hardware is used, to what pressure it's tuned, what other mods are implemeted, etc.

Without having seen the videos in question, and more importantly, without having seen these cars myself, it's difficult to say if forced induction was used. More important than what cars they were losing to is what times were these G's posting?

End rant.

Maybe you are not understanding where I am coming from or maybe I am not expressing myself well enough. I have a sti and a g37, 1 is for drag and 1 is for normal driving. I already stated on my first post that I love my g37, more than the sti.

Now my whole issue, I am NOT the one using g37 for drag purpose, I have a sti for that, BUT I see g37 vid being posted on various drag site VERY often and all of these vid shows a g37 lost. I already gave example of where these vid are located, you can locate them very easily.

I dont know, am I the only here that hate seeing my cherished car lose on a daily basis? I just simply wanted to know if that 5k Stilien Sc or that 9k tt can be a simple fix to this.....losing streak.

And really, I am hoping for someone with experience in dragging with the G37 tt or sc to answer, because I am actually in a middle of buying decision now; dumping another 7-8k on the sti or putting it in 8-10k on the G37 for tt or sc. Obviously I want the biggest bang for my buck.

DmfG37sTT 08-12-2010 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Clax (Post 2951230)
Maybe you are not understanding where I am coming from or maybe I am not expressing myself well enough. I have a sti and a g37, 1 is for drag and 1 is for normal driving. I already stated on my first post that I love my g37, more than the sti.

Now my whole issue, I am NOT the one using g37 for drag purpose, I have a sti for that, BUT I see g37 vid being posted on various drag site VERY often and all of these vid shows a g37 lost. I already gave example of where these vid are located, you can locate them very easily.

I dont know, am I the only here that hate seeing my cherished car lose on a daily basis? I just simply wanted to know if that 5k Stilien Sc or that 9k tt can be a simple fix to this.....losing streak.

If you looking not to loose as much I wouldnt even get sc or tt. Go out get yourself intake, headers, exhaust, tune, coilovers, wheels and tires, and then if its not fast enough for you then, then maybe I would think about F/I

Jayhawk815 08-12-2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Clax (Post 2951230)

And really, I am hoping for someone with experience in dragging with the G37 tt or sc to answer, because I am actually in a middle of buying decision now; dumping another 7-8k on the sti or putting it in 8-10k on the G37 for tt or sc. Obviously I want the biggest bang for my buck.

Props for constructing a legible post!

As far as the vids go, I just started looking and haven't found them. Hyperthreading or at the very least providing a link would be much appreciated.

As efuseakay already mentioned, there will always be someone faster out there. Period.

Clax 08-12-2010 06:09 PM

YouTube - ImportRace's Channel

You can see some of the g37 drag video in this channel

Anthony123 08-12-2010 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT (Post 2951116)
You have been a memer since july of 2009 and this is your first post???

never had much to say i guess.

Jayhawk815 08-13-2010 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Clax (Post 2951245)
YouTube - ImportRace's Channel

You can see some of the g37 drag video in this channel

Ok, checked out the site you were referencing. I saw times for the 350Z/G35/G37 that ranged anywhere from 10.9 to well over 14 sec. The 10 sec car was obviously the benefactor of forced induction as well as a long list of other mods, in addition to a competent driver. The 14 sec cars all suffered from terrible launches, poor shifting, etc., i.e. poor driving.

Yes, a number of those cars lost. Some of which were to insanely powerful and quick cars. Losing to a car posting a 9.5 et is nothing to be embarrased about! A stock G37 should be capable of mid to upper 13 sec et's. Very respectable. With some simple bolt-on mods, and perhaps forced induction 12 sec et's should be attainable.

Still, there will be countless cars that are faster. Who cares? That's not the premise for the G.

Boomer-Bob 08-13-2010 12:16 PM

I disagree, mostly... [That G's Lose So Much]

I'm guessing videos of G's getting spanked are uploaded by the proud surprise winners of the races. Probably because bragging rights don't come from besting a slower car.

Stock G's run ~mid 13's. In a quarter mile race, with good drivers, they will -on average- beat cars that can't. On average, they will also lose to cars that run quicker times. ET's speak for themselves. :rolleyes:

There are many *sport* cars here in So Cal that run mid 11's and better on the street. "King of the road" competitions aren't matches between 13 second cars or even 12 second cars IMHO. The last well publicized race I remember was in Newport Beach, I think, between a Ferrari and a Porsche. The driver of the Ferrari, a well known person associated with the UFC world, was killed. The Porsche driver, I believe, is still locked up. This is a good reason to race on the track not the street.

Jayhawk815 08-13-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob (Post 2951770)
I disagree, mostly...

I'm guessing videos of G's getting spanked are uploaded by the proud surprise winners of the races. Probably because bragging rights don't come from besting a slower car.

Stock G's run ~mid 13's. In a quarter mile race, with good drivers, they will -on average- beat cars that can't. On average, they will also lose to cars that run quicker times. ET's speak for themselves. :rolleyes:

There are many *sport* cars here in So Cal that run mid 11's and better on the street. "King of the road" competitions aren't matches between 13 second cars or even 12 second cars IMHO. The last well publicized race I remember was in Newport Beach, I think, between a Ferrari and a Porsche. The driver of the Ferrari, a well known person associated with the UFC world, was killed. The Porsche driver, I believe, is still locked up. This is a good reason to race on the track not the street.

U mostly disagree with what?

As far as racing in the streets, I couldn't agree more. Street racing is wreckless and foolish. If you want to race, take it to the track.

Boomer-Bob 08-13-2010 01:27 PM

^ Yep... I didn't state that very well. :5091:
What I meant to say was that IMHO, Car weight, luxury, mods, torque curve, drag vs. sport car... All are important, but, the reason for a won or lost race is of course time to distance. Heavy, luxury, sport, or drag car, low torque, high torque, TT or NA... the ET rules.
-On the street there are some "sport" cars that can humiliate some "drag" cars. Today's G, a 13 second luxury sport car, is faster in a 1/4 mile than many muscle "drag" cars of the 60's, cars that could only pray for a 13 sec ET. Life is good. :biggthumpup:

15951 08-13-2010 05:06 PM

Something switches in the male brain somewhere around 28-32 years of age, and many of us stop giving a damn whether the next car over can go 1,320 feet a fraction of a second quicker than us.

The car does 60 in the fives, and the quarter in the thirteens...for my money, that's fast enough. Before you start comparing other cars, realize that we're doing this with NA motors, and Infinit has nice aftermarket support if you really want to go stupid fast. When I had my IS350, people on the Lexus boards constantly complained about the lack of go-fast mods available for the stock engine. We don't have that problem.

If you want more horsepower, go buy it. Looking at 1/4 mile race footage and declaring your car slow makes zero sense.

nitromt 08-13-2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ozzypriest (Post 2950438)
Clax - this is not true. FIrst of all, I race people all the time in my G, with just a tune, and I win all the time against older mustangs, hemi charger R/Ts, I can beat just about any other six out there other than a good IS350 driver or a 335i. There are also lots of 8-cyl folks that are not as quick as they think they are. I do a 5.1 0-60 with my tune, otherwise stock. Just last week I beat the crap out of a mustang GT form the early 2000's, came from behind and beat him, and he had a look of 'no this can't be true at all' on his backward'd cap wearin' meth face.

But I digress - there are all kinds of confounds when watching these vids - coupe or sedan G37? Sedan is faster, sometimes remarkably so. MT had a stock G37S at 5 flat. Coupe is bigger and heavier. A fatty, so to speak. they are all in the 5.4-5.6 range it seems, tops.

Also, the other cars in the video may (and probably) have all sorts of modifications, from tunes to bolt-ons to turbos, nitrous and superchargers. Probably lots of dry nitrous shots goin on up in that you tube mess.

G37 owners tend to not drag their cars or modify them very much. It's a different demographic with different wants and needs, so you are going to see supercharged or nitroused G's a lot less then say, an older mustang, F-body pontiac or WRX. So it's not fair to just look at you tube videos and say 'G37's keep getting beat'

All that being said, the G is falling behind in the engine / tranny wars. The G needs direct injection or a turbo, or, most likely, a completely redesigned engine. G needs 30-40 lbs more torque down low and overall, and needs a few more ponies, say up 350 - 360, to keep it competitive. The G needs 13.5-13.2 1/4 mile times and stock sub-5 0-60's. And a hell of a lot better transmission tune. Most other things are good. But it needs a new drivetrain. Shouldn't have to go TT or SC to be competitive with other cars in its class. And a real, mechanical LSD in ALL models. Not the VLSD crap. That would make the 335i crowd very jealous.

Uh....IS350 only comes in automatic. How good can the driver possibly be?

dbg37 08-14-2010 05:08 AM

The preponderance of drag racers use automatics... albeit with driver performing the shifting.
Manual & clutch for the missed gate and the loss.

The G is not a drag car, get over it. It is a very good performing sport luxury car. That's it and it should be enough. You won't find people tubbing one out like you would early camaros, and typically you also won't have your neighbors b1tchin' at you because your exhaust can be heard 5 blocks away... at idle.

If G's lose drag races, then all you have to do is remember that some FOOL is taking it to a track. That is not what this car is for. Remember that you don't find a big following for airport mini bus drag racing either. If you go to a gun fight with a knife expect to lose.
This cannot be that hard to understand.

Most people who are the least bit serious about drag racing would'nt consider a G37 as the tool of choice, but they might enjoy a leisurely cruise in the mountains with it.
Most drag cars cannot hold a corner either or be comfortable over a 400 mile trip, so why not do the reverse and see if the tubbed out drag car can outshine the G37 in its world? Assuming it wouldn't run out of gas in less than a 100.

majin ssj eric 08-15-2010 12:19 PM

I have a 2006 IS350 and a 2010 G37S coupe and I can tell you without a doubt the Lexus is faster. Its all about the weight. The 370Z has the same engine in it but weighs 500lbs less. It typically runs 0-60 in the mid-to-high 4 sec range with 1/4 mile times approaching 13 seconds flat. The G is just fat with luxury and safety items. Its fine with me because I didn't buy the G to drag race in. Its a luxury GT....

Boomer-Bob 08-15-2010 01:49 PM

From Road and Track
G37s 0-60 5.1 1/4 13.6 @ 105.6 stick
G37 0-60 5.4 1/4 13.8 @ 103.8 auto
is350 0-60 5.5 1/4 14.0 @ 100.0 auto
Sarcasm alert!
My bicycle weighs way less than my G.
IMHO It's who gets there first that wins the race, even if they weigh more. :biggthumpup:
If you are losing too many races, race slower cars. There are LOTS of them out there! :rolleyes:

ahmsg420 08-15-2010 03:05 PM

our cars have plenty of power it's just that they're super heavy...

steve 08-15-2010 04:14 PM

just got it done should have some picks next week car is strong

Jayhawk815 08-16-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob (Post 2951848)
^ Yep... I didn't state that very well. :5091:
What I meant to say was that IMHO, Car weight, luxury, mods, torque curve, drag vs. sport car... All are important, but, the reason for a won or lost race is of course time to distance. Heavy, luxury, sport, or drag car, low torque, high torque, TT or NA... the ET rules.
-On the street there are some "sport" cars that can humiliate some "drag" cars. Today's G, a 13 second luxury sport car, is faster in a 1/4 mile than many muscle "drag" cars of the 60's, cars that could only pray for a 13 sec ET. Life is good. :biggthumpup:

I agree, although those 60's cars can be modded to be very quick. ;)

Originally Posted by 15951
Something switches in the male brain somewhere around 28-32 years of age, and many of us stop giving a damn whether the next car over can go 1,320 feet a fraction of a second quicker than us.

The car does 60 in the fives, and the quarter in the thirteens...for my money, that's fast enough. Before you start comparing other cars, realize that we're doing this with NA motors, and Infinit has nice aftermarket support if you really want to go stupid fast. When I had my IS350, people on the Lexus boards constantly complained about the lack of go-fast mods available for the stock engine. We don't have that problem.

If you want more horsepower, go buy it. Looking at 1/4 mile race footage and declaring your car slow makes zero sense.

I couldn't have said it better myself! It's good to see there's some sense on this board. :biggthumpup:

4DOORFUN 08-16-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 15951 (Post 2951978)
The car does 60 in the fives, and the quarter in the thirteens...for my money, that's fast enough. Before you start comparing other cars, realize that we're doing this with NA motors.

We'll said.

newg37 09-06-2010 12:16 PM

why are the g37s faster than the automatics? is it because of the weight of the tranny? I was under the impression the 7at could switch gears much faster than a human driver hence making it faster than a manual. i guess that's only the case with vw's DSG.

and why is the g37 so heavy? what does it matter if it's a lux car that it has to be inherently heavier, the 335i is a lux car but it's faster and lighter and much more refined. why is the coupe heavier than a sedan? I thought the coupe was smaller and lighter weight.. go figure.

the g37 really needs to have at least 300 ft lbs to be more competitive. I don't know what they were thinking giving it only 270 TQ

4DOORFUN 09-06-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by newg37 (Post 2963804)
why are the g37s faster than the automatics? is it because of the weight of the tranny? I was under the impression the 7at could switch gears much faster than a human driver hence making it faster than a manual. i guess that's only the case with vw's DSG.

and why is the g37 so heavy? what does it matter if it's a lux car that it has to be inherently heavier, the 335i is a lux car but it's faster and lighter and much more refined. why is the coupe heavier than a sedan? I thought the coupe was smaller and lighter weight.. go figure.

the g37 really needs to have at least 300 ft lbs to be more competitive. I don't know what they were thinking giving it only 270 TQ

You sound like a troll.

newg37 09-06-2010 12:36 PM

wanna buy my two g37s?

then maybe i can go troll the bmw forums instead...

blnewt 09-06-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by newg37 (Post 2963804)

The only real difference w/ the S is the rear differential, rather than an open diff w/ the non-S it has a limited slip diff so it should hook up a bit better off the line. Both the S and non S w/ Automatics should yield very similar 1/4 mile times w/a slight nod to the S cause of the diff.
I've heard the autos are a bit quicker than the 6mt but not sure :(

newg37 09-06-2010 03:22 PM

What about reliability or durability of the LSD vs the regular differential?

also does the LSD make a noticeable difference in the feel of the driving or is it really not a big deal?

how does the LSD compare to the VLSD?

6mtg37s 09-06-2010 05:58 PM

I have won a lot of different types of cars.. on the track of course!

slimlma04 09-07-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ozzypriest (Post 2950438)

Hey what kimd of tune do u have in ur car to run 5.1?

1BadAssG 11-02-2010 01:45 AM

With my G37 I feel like the king of road. Any kind of car that wanted to race me had a suprise of how fast the G is. I've raced mustangs to SRT4 and SRT8 and camaro. All of them had to put on their suprise hat on cuz I smoked them.

This obviously is on streets not drag racing

ozzypriest 11-02-2010 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by slimlma04 (Post 2964241)
Hey what kimd of tune do u have in ur car to run 5.1?

I have a Hypertech canned tune and the 18 inch sport wheels with Potenza 960AS tires. Ran a 5.18 last night and a 13.64 1/4 @ 104 mph. - that's it - meatier tires and a canned tune. You get 10lbs of extra torque down low woth hypertech, where it can be used by your higher ratio low gears to get you going....+6 hp. I can really feel the diff.

whiddles 11-02-2010 05:16 AM

Also people like me Super charged do not go to the track cause we like to show our cars and not break them. I can not afford to break little things on the car every week and go without my daily driver. I bought this car to drive it not race it. But when im on the street, do not pull up to me and be stupid.

LDDUBB 08-31-2016 11:51 PM

Oh yeah I don't think we are meant for the track either.

Daddy Fat Sacs 09-01-2016 07:26 AM

Did you really bump a 6 year old thread!? Cant wait to see whats next for you