Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Restoring Headlights Now-Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Restoring Headlights Now-Please help!

Guys I'm new here and have looked for days for this answer so if I'm disobeying protocol please lmk! I have headlights already out of vehicle so trying to be quick. The top of lens near blinker is fading yellow, however, the rest of the lens has (factory?) clearcoat and looks great. Do I sand the whole thing or just the small yellow pinch? (And if sanding the whole lens how do I make sure the flakes don't scratch the plastic underneath?) Do y'all have an opinion? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I would only do the part that needs it. Just buy a kit from 3m and follow the directions. It works really well. Be sure you put a sealant on the part you sanded and polished when you are finished, and reapply a sealant on a regular basis.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Boy (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:21 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
You do the whole lense with the kit
Texas Boy (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was runnin' out of daylight and needed car for work today so I just did the uncoated part. I found scratches of sandpaper in the coated part of lens so I think someone has already done this on the car previously and it may be their clearcoat that is coming off. They did a good job whoever it was. The part I did looks much better. I already owned the Turtle Wax kit and used it as a get me by until I need to do the whole thing again in which case I'll have time to take them out and reseal with the Rustoleum method and allow to dry before putting them back on the car. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Just spend the 30 bucks and get the right kit you wetsand through the discs then polish and seal
Texas Boy (09-20-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 AM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
3M kit for the win. used the kit 2 times without disappointment on any of my cars. I would use the hand one for more control on this shape lens.

Amazon Amazon

Mask with a few layers of painter's tape. There are ample video tutorials on youtube. Good luck!
Texas Boy (09-23-2017)