Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Overheating when idling

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:49 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellafella
I have no idea what it is. My temperature always reads +20 degrees higher than normal. The coolant sensor is behind the cylinder head? Then whatever I relocated must be something else. Im gonna snap pics of it in the morning. But yeah its been almost a month and a half now since I relocated this sensor and I have had no cooling issues.
the engine coolant temp sensor does not display in actual degrees in your cluster. you are looking at your ambient outside temp sensor reading in your cluster. the engine coolant is only displayed by the needle in the gauge. i think you are mistaking the two. perhaps you need to take your vehicle to someone else from now on as it seems your friend may not know what he is doing and routed your ambient outside temp onto the coolant fill neck right next to the pressure cap. this is the reason for the high temp reading by the sensor. and if you are still wondering where the engine coolant temp sensor is at, just take a peep at the crossover pipe behind the cylinder heads. it is located on there.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:11 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
See that blue plastic thing? I believe that's the coolant temperature sensor.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:15 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

thx for the pic rice. and yes thats the coolant temp sensor. man from the looks of it it would be a real pain in the as s if the coolant crossover pipe gaskets were to ever leak on the back of these cars.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How the hell do I get back THERE?
Old 05-26-2017, 02:13 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

How the hell do I get back THERE?
without the proper tools, mechanical knowledge, and skill i do not suggest you working on or near the crossover pipe as it is way out of your league in difficulty. btw why would you need to access that area of the engine anyways i thought you stated you identified the ambient engine temp sensor issue already?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:21 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
without the proper tools, mechanical knowledge, and skill i do not suggest you working on or near the crossover pipe as it is way out of your league in difficulty. btw why would you need to access that area of the engine anyways i thought you stated you identified the ambient engine temp sensor issue already?
I wasn't serious haha. Trust me I wouldnt dare try to go back there even if the problem still existed just thought it was crazy that it'd be back there. But everythings gucci now except for the nonsensical placement of the ambient sensor that no longer reads a real temp
Old 09-02-2022, 02:29 AM
R7silver
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ambient temp sensor can also affect when the fans turn on

I know this is way late, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I found a solution to the problem. The overheating had nothing to do with the radiator or cooling fans. The thermostat came loose and was hanging close to the test pipes giving it false temperature readings. My car was not overheating the senor just picked it up that way. I drilled a slot in the radiator cover and made a spot for it there. Tbh, idk where the thermostat originally was. But now I have no false overheating issues

The Ambient temp sensor can control the fans depending on outside temperature.. all i wanted to add