Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:30 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Get used to the electronic steering...this is Inifiniti's way of transitioning into autonomous driving cars. Do you guys want to go back to rolling your windows down too?
The DAS isnt electronic steering, it's digital steering. Electronic racks and Hydraulic racks are the "older" ones in this case. This is steer by wire, through a cable/wire that carries steering input as digital information to the wheels. Like how you get digital cable on your TV when you plug the cable/wire on the back. the TV channels are transferred to your TV as digital information from the plugged in cable/wire.

Infiniti concept work is trying to eliminate the steering wheel altogether with this digital setup, they are planning to use joysticks connected to the wheels by a wire, and theoretically the joystick will be the new steering wheel.

Next thing they are going to do is eliminate the digital setup as well and try using wireless methods like WiFi or Bluetooth to do the steering. This is what Nissan is putting its R&D money into. I just want a better tranny and less weight at the very least. they can do their digital work all they want, but dont sacrifice my tranny for it.

Although I do think that they hit a homerun with the new VR30DDTT, just as powerful as the VR38DETT but more fuel efficient.

Last edited by gill1606; 10-15-2016 at 03:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
User 122320 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 02:31 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonviper
Gotcha. So dealer, and Nissan/Infiniti employees receive below invoice while the other plans get invoice price?
Most are under invoice. Some are just a little more under. Not $,$$$s more but hundreds.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:44 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by gill1606
The DAS isnt electronic steering, it's digital steering. Electronic racks and Hydraulic racks are the "older" ones in this case. This is steer by wire, through a cable/wire that carries steering input as digital information to the wheels. Like how you get digital cable on your TV when you plug the cable/wire on the back. the TV channels are transferred to your TV as digital information from the plugged in cable/wire.

Infiniti concept work is trying to eliminate the steering wheel altogether with this digital setup, they are planning to use joysticks connected to the wheels by a wire, and theoretically the joystick will be the new steering wheel.

Next thing they are going to do is eliminate the digital setup as well and try using wireless methods like WiFi or Bluetooth to do the steering. This is what Nissan is putting its R&D money into. I just want a better tranny and less weight at the very least. they can do their digital work all they want, but dont sacrifice my tranny for it.

Although I do think that they hit a homerun with the new VR30DDTT, just as powerful as the VR38DETT but more fuel efficient.
Nah, the next thing is to get rid of the steering wheel all together. Instead, we will be using our phones and tablets to control the steering.

You will have to swipe left or swipe right to turn. BUT, for another $500, you can buy the app upgrade that allows you to control the steering by turning your phone left and and right like a steering wheel. And for another $50 app add-on, you can add vibration and kickback to get road feedback.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:41 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Originally Posted by clutchfan
Nah, the next thing is to get rid of the steering wheel all together. Instead, we will be using our phones and tablets to control the steering.

You will have to swipe left or swipe right to turn. BUT, for another $500, you can buy the app upgrade that allows you to control the steering by turning your phone left and and right like a steering wheel. And for another $50 app add-on, you can add vibration and kickback to get road feedback.
ouch. systematically burned. but yea i bet they will try to go wireless eventually, seeing where this is all going in terms of mechanical steering to digital. At that point you'll have 0% road feedback, much already like the DAS now. It is definitely eliminating the more visceral and engaging feel of driving. Hence they should offer traditional mechanical and other transmission options for those drivers who like to be more engaged in their driving style.

Last edited by gill1606; 10-15-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:26 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Can anyone confirm or deny if the new Q60 has illuminated door handles? Browsing the website has a pic of the Red Sport with the optional "Welcome Lighting" and shows lit handles. However, when I browse the Welcome Lighting accessory features it only lists the LED lighting for under the car- which I already have on my G- but says nothing about lit handles.

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit-2017-q60-exterior-welcome-lighting-original.jpg

Any confirmation is greatly appreciated.
mangoface (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 02:44 PM
jasonviper

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Can anyone confirm or deny if the new Q60 has illuminated door handles? Browsing the website has a pic of the Red Sport with the optional "Welcome Lighting" and shows lit handles. However, when I browse the Welcome Lighting accessory features it only lists the LED lighting for under the car- which I already have on my G- but says nothing about lit handles.

Attachment 124496

Any confirmation is greatly appreciated.
That's standard, it doesn't require welcome lighting. My Q50 has it as well.
ILM-NC G37S (10-16-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 03:55 AM
gill1606
Registered Member

here are all of the accessories in a video from Infiniti

Old 10-17-2016, 08:04 PM
sdwilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got an email from Infiniti saying the RS 400 is now available, so checked my local dealer inventory and they show one incoming (Looks like a Red one at that), another dealer near by shows 2 on the lot now. Guess I'll be test driving it soonish.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:12 PM
TheoQ60

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
haha, infinitis are skyline, and skylines are infiniti

Infiniti Radiant Interior Ambient Lighting [*]

Adds ambiance to forward interior foot well area (Driver and Passenger Foot Wells, and CupHolder) Enhances the interior's modern appeal Creates a warm and engaging glow

this is excellent, do the doors have lighting as well (i remember seeing a vid where they do light up by carbon fiber)?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:23 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TheoQ60
this is excellent, do the doors have lighting as well (i remember seeing a vid where they do light up by carbon fiber)?
i think that would be this accessory:

Infiniti Radiant External Ground Lighting[*]

Just click for a sense of security with lights that brighten up the area beneath and around your vehicle

Fades in and out with the dome light

Goes on when you press the Infiniti Intelligent key fob, press the entry button or open doors

LED lights between front and rear tires

and then you have the internal lighting you quoted above in both driver and passenger footwells + cupholders.

someone said that the lighting on the door handle is stock, so you dont need to add that.

illuminated kick plates

And the last bit as an add on is the radiant grill Infiniti Emblem. Which comes together with the Midnight grill on the website. Maybe a dealer can throw it on a chrome grill too.

I don't think there is lighting by carbon fibre parts, except the fog lamps in the front if you get the full carbon fibre package.

Last edited by gill1606; 10-19-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:27 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
So I took a work related 500 mile road trip today in a Q50. All through the trip I kept wondering why it felt so good to drive. There where no vibrations from the road, the car didn't sway back and forth, the steering was super relaxed. It was effortlessly and I found my self using 2 fingers to steer when needed. No effort was needed. Mind you I hate driving long distances. It fatigues me more than the average driver. Not on this trip.

Something was off, it did not feel like a 7 hour drive. More like a 3 hour drive. And it was windy and cloudy.

Then when I went to fill up I saw it. I was driving the Hybrid. I knew I was driving the Hybrid from the get go but when I saw the word "HYBRID" it dawned on me.

This car has DAS! And it was great! And it was Gen 1 too as it is a 2015.

For long road trips and non spirited driving, I would take DAS any day.

Just my $.02 for the day.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
The accessory lights are fine. I have them all installed on my G except for the door handle LED's. Only downfall is that the Q60 doesn't have the true "Welcome Lighting" system as does the Q50, the EX35, and other models where the lights turn on as you approach the vehicle.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 PM
TheoQ60

Thanks but I think I should have been more clear. Lights on interior door like here:

i think that would be this accessory:

Infiniti Radiant External Ground Lighting[*]

Just click for a sense of security with lights that brighten up the area beneath and around your vehicle

Fades in and out with the dome light

Goes on when you press the Infiniti Intelligent key fob, press the entry button or open doors

LED lights between front and rear tires

and then you have the internal lighting you quoted above in both driver and passenger footwells + cupholders.

someone said that the lighting on the door handle is stock, so you dont need to add that.

illuminated kick plates

And the last bit as an add on is the radiant grill Infiniti Emblem. Which comes together with the Midnight grill on the website. Maybe a dealer can throw it on a chrome grill too.

I don't think there is lighting by carbon fibre parts, except the fog lamps in the front if you get the full carbon fibre package.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:54 AM
gill1606
Registered Member

Yea the Q60's interior lighting seems to encompass only the foot wells, kick plate, and cup holder.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 AM
TheoQ60

Yea the Q60's interior lighting seems to encompass only the foot wells, kick plate, and cup holder.
see this is what i was remembering, photos from cnet road show... so you see, the cup holder lights made it, now i'm just trying to see if the other lights made it

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit