Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Tinted and or smoke taillights and headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Stormshadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinted and or smoke taillights and headlights

Hey folks I have been doing a lot of research and I am trying to find out if it is illegal in the state of Texas to tint your taillights and smoke your headlights. I have been reading for weeks and some say it's illegal and others say it's not. Who lives in Houston and has tinted taillights and is it illegal? or is there a certain percentage i must have?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormshadow
Hey folks I have been doing a lot of research and I am trying to find out if it is illegal in the state of Texas to tint your taillights and smoke your headlights. I have been reading for weeks and some say it's illegal and others say it's not. Who lives in Houston and has tinted taillights and is it illegal? or is there a certain percentage i must have?
if youre worried about legality it is. think of this story. your stopped in the road and the person behind you flies into you and rear ends you. insurance appraisel agents' job is to get out of paying for stuff. they take one look at your tail lights they "could" make a case for you having them tinted and their driver couldnt see you were stopped. worst case you get sued which is bad. that being said i still have mine tinted but they are the lightest, i wouldnt go very dark. i just moved from MO to TX(dfw) it was illegal there, they claim you need to see it 300 ft or something away.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Stormshadow

Cool! Thanks I figured that and yeah I wasn't trying to go blacked out just a little darker to give it some color and to match with the zele kit
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 PM
37hevn

due to lack of upload space i can only show you what mine looks like now
Attached Thumbnails Tinted and or smoke taillights and headlights-img_0769.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 AM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leave them stock. Keep the class. Doing the ricer thing to these med/high end cars kills the value and makes them look ricey. IMHO.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Stormshadow

Thats exactly the color i was going for but i guess you guys have a point. I wouldn't want someone rear ending me because they can't see me.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 AM
mtrsprt

Originally Posted by Stormshadow
I wouldn't want someone rear ending me because they can't see me.
One of the smarter things said in these forums I have heard in a few days....
Old 02-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Check out blubatmobile's vinyl overlays. He has some 20% ones with full gt-r cut outs. They look really good on the Gs.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
apexi350z

Something I heard on the news that backing up car and caused collision scam is picking up now. Basically the car in front of you backs up, and caused a collision, but due to the law always faulted the guy in the back for not keeping a distance, then the front driver will most likely win, unless there are witnesses.. The guy in the front will ask for damage repair, and they will get paid and leave..

Kind of related to this post
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM
jking

Have you looked into the GTR Style taillights I have them on my car they look nice and there is a lot of red cut outs so If a car hits you they can't say they couldn't see you brake cause the GTR style leave all lights visible
Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
37hevn

Originally Posted by mtrsprt
Leave them stock. Keep the class. Doing the ricer thing to these med/high end cars kills the value and makes them look ricey. IMHO.
wow, if you see my pic i posted you really think that looks "ricey"? i had it stock and it was bright red and didnt look that good. in my opinion the tint gave it a smooth sleek look. if you want to know whats ricey on these cars, its a lowering kit or almost any aftermarket wheels. i know almost everyone on here has one of them done and i even have my stock wheels painted black but its not ricey.

i know its my car but i try to be unbias, but to say my pic looks ricey...
Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
mtrsprt

Originally Posted by 37hevn
wow, if you see my pic i posted you really think that looks "ricey"? i had it stock and it was bright red and didnt look that good. in my opinion the tint gave it a smooth sleek look. if you want to know whats ricey on these cars, its a lowering kit or almost any aftermarket wheels. i know almost everyone on here has one of them done and i even have my stock wheels painted black but its not ricey.

First of all, let me try to read what you wrote..... OK done.

Second of all.... Yours actually aren't too bad. I have seen much darker, and that's what I was referring more to.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
37hevn

yea i went with the lightest called gunsmoke. I took it as a stab at me since your post was under mine. im sorry about your reading ability
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
DashKid
Banned

I live at Dallas and yes it is illegal to have it period. Just like having no front plates are illegal in tx. Front plates and tinted lights are just couple reasons why the cop can pull you over.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by mtrsprt
I agree with you. I think the tinted tail lights don't look that good and that is me also.

Originally Posted by 37hevn

Well everyone has their opinions if he calls you're car ricey P.O.S just deal with and move on. This is his opinion and let it be. This is how some of the threads get out of hand. If you don't like some one else's car you can say whatever you want about it. Now if that guys was being an a$$ and calling you out on it then we would have a problem but it's just an opinion. Deal with it and move on.

Quick Reply: Tinted and or smoke taillights and headlights