Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car died yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car died yesterday

I drive a used 2008 G37S and when I got it I always noticed some hesitation when starting the car.

I spent several hours sanding out some deep window scratches (catches fingernail easily) in my driveway the other day (was like a 3 hour job and my arms were sore from trying to hold the drill steady). Well after finishing it I drove it back into the garage and left it there for about an hour.

I came back and wanted to drive it around a bit and cranked it and it didn't want to start. I tried a couple more times and same thing... no start. I then tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery to see if that would fix it (left it for about half an hour). Then things got freaky LOL--the lights started flickering inside, my navi kept turning on and off, my gauge cluster kept flashing, and my windows rolled all the way down and kept making a clicking noise. I tried resetting the ECU again using the same procedure. Came back and tried the headlights and they both came on. Turned it off and on again--passenger's side flickered then went off and only the driver's side came on (thought I fried it). Same freaky flashing and window clicking inside.

So I got really nervous about what the hell was happening. Thought it was mechanical at first because of the starter but thought it was electrical because of the weird stuff happening in the car. So I decided to wait till the next morning to call Infiniti Roadside Assistance and get this checked out.

Next morning (today) I gave IRA a call and they sent a tow truck out just in case I needed to be towed. So I had my car out on the street with the tow truck guy and my smuggy asshat neighbor in his BMW drove slowly past me to laugh at me . Tow truck guy asked me what year my car was and I told him it was a 2008. He recommended a jump start because he says it looks like it's a weak battery which he's seen a lot of on the 2008 G37. Jumped it and it started right up. I decided to take it to Infiniti of Kirkland (awesome service btw) by following the tow truck all the way there. Thought I would have to pay the pro-rated 50% charge on the battery but turns out the Battery TSB was never performed on the car by the previous owner. The service took a while to do so I watched my UW Huskies get blown out by Nebraska in the lobby . In the end, the battery was covered fully by the TSB and got a good checkup on the car (everything else is in good working order).

Lesson for people looking to buy any used 2008 G37 is to make sure you get your car checked out if you notice any slight hesitation on start up and get that TSB done. I'm lucky it died at home.

Last edited by Ken; 09-18-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup that's a regular tsb issue for the 2008 g. Just had the dealer perform the same service on mine, changed the vent control valve and gave me a new battery. Their is a couple more tsb's out there just to let u know.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 PM
newg37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember this happening with my 06 jetta. the thing cranked slower and slower, eventually needed multiple cranks. I went to the dealer after about a week of doing that and they changed it with a new interstate battery and wham, starts all the time every time.

i love how easy and quiet vw's start up. the starter is really fast and efficient.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
anacondatp

Will the dealer deny my warranty because I changed fog light to HID?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Of course not. And if they do tell em they're full of cr@p lol.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by anacondatp
are you joking?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:56 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Ahahaha I doubt he is man.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM
lif2b3

Ken, how short of a notice did you call Infiniti of Kikland to set up your appointment? I feel like I always need to call them a month ahead ....

Also what color is your g37s? Might run into you on the road.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 AM
anacondatp

Originally Posted by xixonmn
are you joking?
I asked because I just changed my fog yesterday and now the car is dead. And I read somewhere on this forum that someone notice after bringing his car to the dealer, the mechanic made a note saying customer mod their headlight and will deny warranty for headlight problem. I know its for headlight but it's the Stealer, they will say and do all the crap they want.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lif2b3
Ken, how short of a notice did you call Infiniti of Kikland to set up your appointment? I feel like I always need to call them a month ahead ....

Also what color is your g37s? Might run into you on the road.
Since my car was dead, I had Roadside Assistance schedule something literally two hours before going there. Their service department does seem pretty busy. I drive a 2008 Ivory Pearl G37S . I see tons of G35's around but hardly ever any G37s around so im probably not hard to miss.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:43 PM
ptaban

Sorry for newbie question... what the heck is TSB? I had a 2008 lease which kept dying on me... (would have to call tow truck to give it a jump). After the 7th time, I gave up and called my lawyer and had the lease terminated.

I still loved the G, so I ended up BUYING the same exact thing! Much less of the problem, but it did happen once or twice. The last time the tow guy came, he said I need a battery with higher cranking amps...

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Technical service bulletin. You have to take it to the dealer for service. Theirs a few for the 08 G like the battery issue, seat bubble, rpm idle control.... Theirs a few more lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM
MYROC

I took my 08 G37S 6mt in for the battery problem( not starting )they told me everything is fine. They charged up my battery and said i was good to go.The service manager told me the reason my battery gets low and wont start is because i don't drive it enough , is that a excitable answer. Sometimes my G will sit for 1 to 2 weeks with out being used. I've had my G for 9 months and only put on 2200KM.

Last edited by MYROC; 11-02-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 AM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

That definitely shouldn't be an excuse man. I mean I work at an impound lot and sometimes cars get impounded for 30 days and when the owners come to pick em up they start up fine, and that's after a month, and we're talking bout older model cars. I'd say take it back and have them do that TSB service.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Heat

Originally Posted by anacondatp
Originally Posted by xixonmn
are you joking?
This is a legit question for someone that doesn't know car warranties that well. Especially since converting your fogs to HID affects your electrical system. Please remember that not everyone's car is their hobby like some most of us on the forum.

Anaconda, it does not void your overall warranty. However, if you have problems with headlight condensation or problems with your fog lights, your warranty will probably not cover it.

Quick Reply: Car died yesterday