Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How many G37 clutches have gone bad with low mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
thebaran06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamedog
Got my entire transmission/clutch/flywheel assembly replaced at around 30K miles.

Bad synchros is what made me take it in. I think they only replaced the clutch/flywheel since they had the tranny out.

And because Riverside Infiniti is badass.
Damn, maybe I should change my name to Gamedog
Old 07-30-2010, 01:11 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No clutch problems or slave cylinder acting up yet for me. I'm at about 22k. Knockin' on wood.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Ruserious

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jesus im getting worried!! I'm only at 3k miles so far since last november.. I rarely drive mine but would be pissed if my clutch went at under 20k miles.. goodluck to all
Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 PM
PhilH930

Not sure how many saw my post a couple of months ago, but my clutch got stuck down when pulling away. The smell was horrific. I took it to the dealer (30 min drive cruising in 6th gear) and it had cooled by the time I was there, but still a little sticky. They tested the following morning and said it was normal. When leaving the dealer, I had clutch chatter/judder for about a week. Its back to normal now, but in the back of my mind there is a concern about how long this will last.

Interesting to me was the dealer saying they often replace clutches at 20K on these cars. Call me crazy, but my quote was around $3K, which in my mind is incredibly expensive every 20-30K miles. I'm currently at 35K in a lease with 12 months left; once I hit 45K I might just park this and revert to my Audi!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
seems like 60K miles is the area of slippage, good thing my lease will be up then. I guess one of perks of leasing so that I dont have to deal with this stuff..
Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Harley'sG

At almost 43k and no problems with the clutch and hoping it stays that way! I have other things I want to do and clutch repair is not as much fun.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 PM
XALTD-1

Clutch just took a crap last night
Had it towed to Infiniti of Tucson to see what the issue is...if anything is warranty covered...doubt it is but we shall see. Only at 24k but aggressive driving every now and again so its partially my fault Im assuming. Looking at buying the JWT CLuth Flywheel Combo from CZP once I get word that it definately needs replacement.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by XALTD-1
Clutch just took a crap last night
Had it towed to Infiniti of Tucson to see what the issue is...if anything is warranty covered...doubt it is but we shall see. Only at 24k but aggressive driving every now and again so its partially my fault Im assuming. Looking at buying the JWT CLuth Flywheel Combo from CZP once I get word that it definately needs replacement.
Just FYI, the JWT aluminum lightweight flywheel is going to have a lot more clutch chatter than the OEM. I don't know if you are aware. I just ordered from CZP also but got a billet steel flywheel. It's only 4 lbs. lighter than the OEM one, but shouldn't chatter like the JWT aluminum one. I'll post my thoughts on it when I get it installed. Hopefully by next week.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM
roughx021

You guys have me really worried now. Are there any symptoms or any maintenance that can avoid this?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by roughx021
You guys have me really worried now. Are there any symptoms or any maintenance that can avoid this?
Personally I've had no clutch problems. I'm at 60K and I'm starting to get a little slippage. No stuck or dead pedals for me. I can just feel the friction surfaces are worn by the slippage, more noticeable in higher gears at slower speeds.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
MSCA
Banned

Don't worry too much... most guys don't have any clutch issues.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
davepj32274

Nada.. I actually still have the clutch/flywheel I replaced when Infiniti said it was my fault and was normal 'wear n tear'... Kept it just in case issues with other peoples clutches burning out at less then 20K miles...which it seems has, esp on 2008 g37 sports. I plan on leaving the 'defective' clutch/flywheel in the trunk of my car when my lease is up..should be an odd find for whoever opens the trunk.

Last edited by Black Betty; 08-03-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Dont start this again, I cleaned this thread up once already.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
jabrother

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think a lot of the problems with the clutch are due to the fact that the clutch cable is very close to the exhaust manifold which overheats the fluid and causes slipping or failure, at least I heard that somewhere. Did anyone notice Edmunds had complete failure of their 370Z long termer where the shifter would not move, it was completely frozen, and they had tranny replacement?
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring: Transmission Replaced

My 2008 G37 had erratic clutch behavior at about 5000 miles and I took it into the dealer, Beshoff in San Jose. I reported that the clutch play would become heavy at times and then soften up. The master tech inspected it and agreed with me that the clutch throw was way too heavy and erratic. They replaced the disk and pressure plate and put it all back together and the feel returned more normal and more linear. However during hot weather sometimes I get a very high takeup and it will slip under hard acceleration. I now have about 13,000 miles on it, and not looking forward to possible premature clutch failure!

Incidently, My '96 240sx has almost 230k miles on the original clutch, and it's as buttery smooth and linear as ever! For some crazy reason Nissan has had a heck of a time perfecting the clutch design ever since the G/Z came out in 2003.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
MSCA
Banned

The clutch is hydraulic--no cable.

But either way, even if the fluid was overheating, I would think a switch to a more high-performance fluid would solve the problem.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
XALTD-1

Originally Posted by MSCA
The clutch is hydraulic--no cable.

But either way, even if the fluid was overheating, I would think a switch to a more high-performance fluid would solve the problem.
Yes yes, clutch is hydraulic. Infiniti of Tucson called me back yesterday and informed me my slave cylinder leaked which explains why the lack of pressure in the clutch. It is fully covered under warranty so Im a happy camper

Quick Reply: How many G37 clutches have gone bad with low mileage?