MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   VDC question (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/191014-vdc-question.html)

last lemming 02-19-2009 10:33 PM

VDC question

So it was wet the other day and I figured I'd do a little fishtail. So I turned off the VDC (I never really do this), gave it a little gas and the car begins to fishtail but then the slip light came on. So I stopped giving it gas and continued home.

My question is if I turned off the VDC why would the light flicker. Is it just letting my knwo that I am slipping or is there some other traction control I am unaware of?

Understand I don't really horse around with my car so I've never really worried too much about actually how to use the VDC button.

wakeboardr116 02-19-2009 10:35 PM

It's off. It is just letting you know that you are still slipping even though VDC is off.

aliiin 02-19-2009 10:36 PM

are you losing power to the wheels when it does? if you do, then VDC is still on...

06banshee 02-19-2009 10:37 PM

when VDC is of it does not say SLIP...something aint right if it says SLIP with vdc off

aliiin 02-19-2009 10:38 PM

yeah it shouldn't say you're slipping when it's off should it?

wakeboardr116 02-19-2009 10:40 PM

I'm pretty sure my slip light still lights up when i turn VDC off. I've done it several times where its says im slipping and trust me it wasnt holding me back in anyway.

Ivoidwarranties 02-19-2009 10:56 PM

From Owners Manual

When accelerating or driving on slippery surfaces, the tires may spin or slide. With the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system, sensors detect these movements and control the braking and engine output to help improve vehicle stability.

When the VDC system is operating, the SLIP indicator in the instrument panel blinks.

If the SLIP indicator blinks, the road conditions are slippery. Be sure to adjust your speed and driving to these conditions. Be sure to drive carefully. (See Slip indicator light in the 2. Instruments and controls section, and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off indicator light in the 2. Instruments and controls section.)

Indicator light - If a malfunction occurs in the system, the SLIP and VDC OFF indicator lights illuminate in the instrument panel. As long as these indicators are illuminated, the VDC system function is canceled.

The VDC system uses an Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS) function to improve vehicle traction. The ABLS system works when one of the driving wheels is spinning on a slippery surface. The ABLS system brakes the spinning wheel, which distributes the driving power to the other drive wheel. If the vehicle is operated with the VDC OFF switch pushed and the VDC system turned off, all VDC systems will be turned off. The ABLS system and ABS will still operate with the VDC system off. If the ABLS system is activated, the SLIP indicator will blink and you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of a malfunction.

While the VDC system is operating, you may feel a pulsation in the brake pedal and hear a noise or feel a vibration from under the hood. This is normal and indicates that the VDC system is working properly.

The VDC system computer has a built-in diagnostic feature that tests the system each time you start the engine and move the vehicle at a low speed forward or backward. When the self-test occurs, you may hear a ªclunkº noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of a malfunction.

last lemming 02-19-2009 11:09 PM

I dont see in there were it talks about how it functions with the VDC off.

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties (Post 2551951)
From Owners Manual

When accelerating or driving on slippery surfaces, the tires may spin or slide. With the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system, sensors detect these movements and control the braking and engine output to help improve vehicle stability.

When the VDC system is operating, the SLIP indicator in the instrument panel blinks.

If the SLIP indicator blinks, the road conditions are slippery. Be sure to adjust your speed and driving to these conditions. Be sure to drive carefully. (See Slip indicator light in the 2. Instruments and controls section, and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off indicator light in the 2. Instruments and controls section.)

Indicator light - If a malfunction occurs in the system, the SLIP and VDC OFF indicator lights illuminate in the instrument panel. As long as these indicators are illuminated, the VDC system function is canceled.

The VDC system uses an Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS) function to improve vehicle traction. The ABLS system works when one of the driving wheels is spinning on a slippery surface. The ABLS system brakes the spinning wheel, which distributes the driving power to the other drive wheel. If the vehicle is operated with the VDC OFF switch pushed and the VDC system turned off, all VDC systems will be turned off. The ABLS system and ABS will still operate with the VDC system off. If the ABLS system is activated, the SLIP indicator will blink and you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of a malfunction.

While the VDC system is operating, you may feel a pulsation in the brake pedal and hear a noise or feel a vibration from under the hood. This is normal and indicates that the VDC system is working properly.

The VDC system computer has a built-in diagnostic feature that tests the system each time you start the engine and move the vehicle at a low speed forward or backward. When the self-test occurs, you may hear a ªclunkº noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of a malfunction.

wakeboardr116 02-19-2009 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by last lemming (Post 2551967)
i dont see in there were it talks about how it functions with the vdc off.

Originally Posted by ivoidwarranties (Post 2551951)
from owners manual

when accelerating or driving on slippery surfaces, the tires may spin or slide. With the vehicle dynamic control (vdc) system, sensors detect these movements and control the braking and engine output to help improve vehicle stability.

When the vdc system is operating, the slip indicator in the instrument panel blinks.

If the slip indicator blinks, the road conditions are slippery. Be sure to adjust your speed and driving to these conditions. Be sure to drive carefully. (see slip indicator light in the 2. Instruments and controls section, and vehicle dynamic control (vdc) off indicator light in the 2. Instruments and controls section.)

indicator light - if a malfunction occurs in the system, the slip and vdc off indicator lights illuminate in the instrument panel. As long as these indicators are illuminated, the vdc system function is canceled.

The vdc system uses an active brake limited slip (abls) function to improve vehicle traction. The abls system works when one of the driving wheels is spinning on a slippery surface. The abls system brakes the spinning wheel, which distributes the driving power to the other drive wheel. if the vehicle is operated with the vdc off switch pushed and the vdc system turned off, all vdc systems will be turned off. The abls system and abs will still operate with the vdc system off. If the abls system is activated, the slip indicator will blink and you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of a malfunction.

while the vdc system is operating, you may feel a pulsation in the brake pedal and hear a noise or feel a vibration from under the hood. This is normal and indicates that the vdc system is working properly.

The vdc system computer has a built-in diagnostic feature that tests the system each time you start the engine and move the vehicle at a low speed forward or backward. When the self-test occurs, you may hear a ªclunkº noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of a malfunction.

Ivoidwarranties 02-19-2009 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by last lemming (Post 2551967)
I dont see in there were it talks about how it functions with the VDC off.

That's all I could find. I was hoping someone could read something into it. I think the slip light will light up when spinning the tires even with the VDC off.

Here is some better stuff in the owners manual. At least humor wise.
WARNING

The VDC system is designed to help improve

driving stability but does not prevent accidents
due to abrupt steering operation at
high speeds or due to careless or dangerous
driving techniques. Reduce vehicle speed
and be especially careful when driving and
cornering on slippery surfaces and always
drive carefully.

If engine related parts such as muffler are

not standard equipment or are extremely deteriorated,
the ªVDC OFFº indicator or ªSLIPº
indicator or both indicator lights may
illuminate.

Do not modify the vehicle's suspension. If

suspension parts such as shock absorbers,
struts, springs, stabilizer bars and bushings
are not INFINITI approved or are extremely
deteriorated the VDC system may not operate
properly. This could adversely affect vehicle
handling performance, and the ªVDC
OFFº indicator or ªSLIPº indicator or both
indicator lights may illuminate.

If brake related parts such as brake pads,

rotors and calipers are not standard equipment
or are extremely deteriorated, the
ªVDC OFFº indicator or ªSLIPº indicator or

both indicator lights may illuminate.

tristan1334 02-19-2009 11:27 PM

My light never blinks when VDC off. I do burn-out at the track.

wakeboardr116 02-19-2009 11:32 PM

Hmm, now i am confused. I'm almost positive ive seen the slip light come on with VDC turned off. I'd go and try it right now but i dont want to loose my really close parking spot.

johnnyg 02-19-2009 11:35 PM

I dont see any clarity here regarding the VDC. I have pushed and held the VDC in and the VDC light comes on and stays on. Once the light is on at this point I can not get it to go out. Its like it is stuck on. It takes for me to shut off the car then restart to clear the light. Referencing the manual language, our system is not fully defeatable and that, my friends, sucks!

Skyline-LEXY 02-19-2009 11:35 PM

^^ i think mine had slip light too with VDC off... I will test it tomorr
I AM NOT 100% sure

tristan1334 02-19-2009 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116 (Post 2551991)
Hmm, now i am confused. I'm almost positive ive seen the slip light come on with VDC turned off. I'd go and try it right now but i dont want to loose my really close parking spot.

lmao, I don't let go of corner spot.