MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   Car was broken into.... ADVICE NEEDED (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/181233-car-was-broken-into-advice-needed.html)

erock 05-27-2008 10:33 AM

Car was broken into.... ADVICE NEEDED

:mad: What a start to my Memorial Day Weekend. I'm not going to get into the details on how they got in, but they got in fairly easy. Anyway, they went throught everything (glove, sunglass holder, trunk, etc.) and guess what, they didn't take anything. So now I've got damage to my driver's side door that the Claims guys est. to be $1264.00 to repair.

Here's my question: If I take it to a Geico approved shop, the work is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. Although, I would be at the mercy of a shop that may not have experience w/ this car.

If I go to Infiniti, it's only guaranteed for 90 days I think. I know that Infiniti will just outsource it to a shop as well, but, I always thought that any work should be done by Infiniti (or whoever they trust to do the work).

How should I get this handled? Am I just being paranoid? I've never had to get any body work done before so I want to make sure I make the right decision on who works on my car. Advice appreciated.

PS: DO NOT ever take the car to Jersey Gardens Mall. The cop said he just took a report on the same car in a different lot before he came to us.

Blackjack 05-27-2008 10:36 AM

Do some research on the shops in your area... Sometime the insurance companies actually use good reputable shops.

In addition, it depends on the damage. What did they do? Scratch your car? Pry the door open?

Any more details you can give us?

metht1cal1 05-27-2008 10:42 AM

Sorry to hear what happened. That really blows. What kind of damage did they do to the car? Thanks for the heads up on Jersey Gardens, I'll make sure to never take the car there.

IP37 05-27-2008 10:45 AM

i'm guessing the keyhole?

got my car from taylor infiniti.. they have a bunch of different lots, taylor toyota, taylot this, taylor that.. and they have their own paint / body shop and they actually do pretty good work. lifetime warranty, too

i'd walk into your dealership and just ask who they use for body work and go wherever they suggest to at least get an estimate / check the shop out

erock 05-27-2008 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by IP37 (Post 2343562)
i'm guessing the keyhole?

got my car from taylor infiniti.. they have a bunch of different lots, taylor toyota, taylot this, taylor that.. and they have their own paint / body shop and they actually do pretty good work. lifetime warranty, too

i'd walk into your dealership and just ask who they use for body work and go wherever they suggest to at least get an estimate / check the shop out

That's probably the first thing I'll do. I feel safer having Infiniti handle this for me.

And yes, Keyhole.

Gamedog 05-27-2008 11:09 AM

Lots of shops (well at least here in So Cal) have lifetime guarantees on their work (Holmes Body Shop). Ask your dealership where they recommend and they should point you in the right direction... I didn't go with what the insurance co told me because they had ZERO experience with our G's...

erock 05-27-2008 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blackjack (Post 2343556)
Do some research on the shops in your area... Sometime the insurance companies actually use good reputable shops.

In addition, it depends on the damage. What did they do? Scratch your car? Pry the door open?

Any more details you can give us?

Punctured a hole in the door about 1/4" wide

Protein Shakes 05-27-2008 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by erock (Post 2343555)
:mad: What a start to my Memorial Day Weekend. I'm not going to get into the details on how they got in, but they got in fairly easy. Anyway, they went throught everything (glove, sunglass holder, trunk, etc.) and guess what, they didn't take anything. So now I've got damage to my driver's side door that the Claims guys est. to be $1264.00 to repair.

Here's my question: If I take it to a Geico approved shop, the work is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. Although, I would be at the mercy of a shop that may not have experience w/ this car.

If I go to Infiniti, it's only guaranteed for 90 days I think. I know that Infiniti will just outsource it to a shop as well, but, I always thought that any work should be done by Infiniti (or whoever they trust to do the work).

How should I get this handled? Am I just being paranoid? I've never had to get any body work done before so I want to make sure I make the right decision on who works on my car. Advice appreciated.

PS: DO NOT ever take the car to Jersey Gardens Mall. The cop said he just took a report on the same car in a different lot before he came to us.

Sorry about your car. Not to be an arse, but why take your G to Jersey Gardens Mall? A good handful of people in that mall are "shady" (I am not saying they are, but I get that vibe).
At least they did not take anything :)
Most of the time insurance companies are working together with body shops, your best bet would be to take it to a very good shop (your choice) and let the body shop give your insurance company an estimate. I know an excellent one (does customs cars), not too far from NJ if your interested
GL with the repairs

IP37 05-27-2008 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by erock (Post 2343572)
That's probably the first thing I'll do. I feel safer having Infiniti handle this for me.

And yes, Keyhole.

that sucks man.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/175283-another-g37-without-a-keyhole-pictures.html
that of course won't prevent it, but it might be enough to convince some *******s that there isn't a keyhole

Originally Posted by erock (Post 2343574)
Punctured a hole in the door about 1/4" wide

edit.. maybe they went in differently than what i was thinking

infiniti should of had an extra piece of thicker metal welded around the back of that area. something that can't be bent as easily

Protein Shakes 05-27-2008 11:17 AM

Hey IP, PM me...where is this 1/4" located? Now, I am getting paraniod :7:
Next mod for me is that keyhole delete

GiGGaplease 05-27-2008 11:37 AM

damn, sucks. dont a cf door cost that much? heh.

NicoDeLorenzo 05-27-2008 11:38 AM

Go to Brinton Auto Body in Westfield. He does great work and also works with Geico. My car got hit by a shopping cart last week and I plan on taking it to him next week to get the dents repaired. The owner John is a great guy and does exceptional work.

BiskitG37 05-27-2008 11:40 AM

Sorry to hear about the damage :eek:

try to get someone familiar with our cars, or that does custom cars as previously suggested.
I definiely wouldn't want someone learning on my car!

erock 05-27-2008 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Black 6MT (Post 2343575)
Sorry about your car. Not to be an arse, but why take your G to Jersey Gardens Mall? A good handful of people in that mall are "shady" (I am not saying they are, but I get that vibe).
At least they did not take anything :)
Most of the time insurance companies are working together with body shops, your best bet would be to take it to a very good shop (your choice) and let the body shop give your insurance company an estimate. I know an excellent one (does customs cars), not too far from NJ if your interested
GL with the repairs

I kinda knew I was asking for it by going there... My wife and I just had to exchange something. Get this tho, it happened on Friday around 6pm, lot wasn't full and was daylight out. Ballsy MF'rs...

Achilles 05-27-2008 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by erock (Post 2343628)
I kinda knew I was asking for it by going there... My wife and I just had to exchange something. Get this tho, it happened on Friday around 6pm, lot wasn't full and was daylight out. Ballsy MF'rs...

More like pathetic psy a$$ mf'rs!!!!!!!!! :7: