MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   6MT or 5AT (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/173967-6mt-or-5at.html)

ABQG35c 08-31-2007 01:10 PM

6MT or 5AT

I'm seeing a lot of people getting the 5AT. What's the reasoning behind this? Daily driver? Lazy? what? lol

I'm still trying to choose between one or the other. I currently have an Auto 91 integra that i'll be putting in the garage... But i've been wanting a Manual transmission since I got the Auto teg... But when I test drove the G37, that thing had balls, and it was a 5AT. So just some general input here would be very helpful just so I know what's made you choose the type of transmission you choose.. Be it a G35 or G37

Thanks a lot guys!

WellBelowH2O 08-31-2007 01:18 PM

Couple reasons... first, while I love driving a manual, I cannot stand sitting in traffic with one (and I sit in a ton of traffic at least once a week). Second, my wife can't drive a stick, so I got the auto so she could use the car too (I've tried to teach her, but she didn't get it/want to get it).

tmartin316 08-31-2007 01:21 PM

The most fun I've ever had driving a car came from a manual transmission, however, I chose the 5AT.

I chose it because 1) Daily traffic in DC. 2) The AT is awesome and the paddle shifters and "sport" mode for the automatic shifter are a lot of fun as well and work very well. Everything I've read and my very brief test drive said that this system is much improved over the sedan's. I'll be able to tell for myself very soon :-)

It would be nice to have a 6th gear though...

Heat 08-31-2007 01:28 PM

I love driving a stick but like previously stated, it really sucks in traffic. That is my number 1 reason why I got a 5AT. I really love the paddle shifters and the sport shifting on it too. So it is like having the conveniences of both.

jdm_inspire 08-31-2007 01:37 PM

Depends on where you go ... and how dense traffic is. There will always be the "I don't care ... manual always" crowd and those who will say, "Forget it ... auto if I live in high traffic areas". Will the car be the daily driver? I've been to Albuquerque (I have family in Los Alamos) many times and I've never come across horrendous traffic. I have encountered many nice roads that I would have loved to ripped in a G (had my aunt's old school Subie auto) so I wouldn't know what to pick (like yourself) ... :(

So ... boils down to whether or not you want this as a DD. If so, then you might be tempted with a 5AT. Otherwise ... get the 6MT. (If all goes well, I'll have a 6MT after new year's ... and hopefully won't have a decision change after the Tokyo or Detroit autoshows!)

IP37 08-31-2007 01:42 PM

mine will be more of a weekend ride, and i didn't like the small delay you get when using the paddle shifters ( i drove the sedan, maybe the coupe is different? )

i thought hard about it, but in the end i just thought i'd enjoy the 6mt more

Sweeet P 08-31-2007 01:49 PM

IMO...gotta get a 6MT...hands down..especially for a coupe. My only gripe is that the AT should be a 6 speed as well. A bit of a let down knowing that other new automakers (BMW, Toyota/Lexus) are 6 speed autos. You would think that since the 07 g35 sedan and 08 g37 coupe are total redesigns...they would have made it a point to be on even par with their competitors.

gurneyeagle 08-31-2007 02:29 PM

I love manuals, but got the 5AT because of the daily commute. I can't even find a 6MT to test drive down here in New Orleans.

gurney

jdm_inspire 08-31-2007 02:32 PM

^ Sometimes the need to get a car to market and competitive forces such as engineering cost to keep a selling price low supercedes the force to "keep up with the Joneses". It would be nice to have a 6AT or a 6MT tranny option, but guess it wasn't meant to be. Guess the engineering money went toward the engine...

Maybe the 6AT will be side-stepped for a 7AT??? If you're going to miss the boat this time, you might as well leapfrog and go ahead one-generation. Then again ... Nissan has thrown countless millions into a CVT ... will that be in store for the G???

PS If I'm going with a G, I will get a 6MT. Will teach my wife to drive a stick with this car (along with perfecting the shift myself ... I can drive a MT but not very well)

Callaway 08-31-2007 02:35 PM

This will be my DD so I chose 5AT. Traffic is getting worse and will only grow as the population grows. If this was my weekend toy, definitely 6MT.

finagle69 08-31-2007 02:40 PM

5AT here. commute + fiance = no shift. the hatred of shifting in gridlock FAR exceeds the joy of shifting in the open for me.

Sweeet P 08-31-2007 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdm_inspire (Post 2222178)
^ Sometimes the need to get a car to market and competitive forces such as engineering cost to keep a selling price low supercedes the force to "keep up with the Joneses". It would be nice to have a 6AT or a 6MT tranny option, but guess it wasn't meant to be. Guess the engineering money went toward the engine...

Maybe the 6AT will be side-stepped for a 7AT??? If you're going to miss the boat this time, you might as well leapfrog and go ahead one-generation. Then again ... Nissan has thrown countless millions into a CVT ... will that be in store for the G???

PS If I'm going with a G, I will get a 6MT. Will teach my wife to drive a stick with this car (along with perfecting the shift myself ... I can drive a MT but not very well)

I agree....would never settle for a AT only so the wife could drive it. If my wife wants to drive it...then she's gonna learn! If the car is for my wife...that's a different story. But if its for me....I'm getting what I want.

Callaway 08-31-2007 02:48 PM

So glad they didn't go CVT on the G.

gurneyeagle 08-31-2007 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by finagle69 (Post 2222184)
5AT here. commute + fiance = no shift. the hatred of shifting in gridlock FAR exceeds the joy of shifting in the open for me.

Have you, or any other 5AT owners tried the paddle shifters? That's the direction Ferrari is going.

Peter Gregg was a very successful Porsche racer in the 70's who was once quoted as saying that he saw no reason to own a manual transmission car for the street. For me, that's a little extreme, but it does make some sense.

I definitely miss the fun of shifting. I've been in Europe this week and drove a turbo diesel Passat with a six speed. Even 170 HP is fun with a stick.

My advice is that if you don't ahve a killer commute, go with a manual. Like I stated earlier, 45 minutes of stop and go crawl is not fun.

dmkozak 08-31-2007 04:03 PM

For me, It's either a 6MT or a different car. I have not yet driven a 6MT G37. I hope to drive one this weekend. If I like the clutch action and feel, I will order one. If not, I will buy something else.

I did not vote because I will not consider the 5AT.

dmkozak 08-31-2007 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle (Post 2222193)
Peter Gregg was a very successful Porsche racer in the 70's who was once quoted as saying that he saw no reason to own a manual transmission car for the street.

I actually knew Peter, having been a Porsche racer during that era. While I never heard him make any such comments, Brumos, the dealership he owned, also owned a MBZ dealership. When Peter was not driving Porsches on the street (all 5 speeds by the way), he was driving a SL MBZ, which only came with an automatic. His partner, Hurley Haywood, liked the SLs so much, they were pretty much the only cars Hurley drove on the street.

As a salesman, it is easy to understand Peter making such a comment if he was at the MBZ store. If he was at the Porsche/Audi store, it is really unlikely he would have made such a comment, especially because the only automatic tranny Porsche had at the time was the Sportomatic.

Also, the dealerships were in Jacksonville FL, not known for traffic problems in the 70's.

myk1013 08-31-2007 07:24 PM

I will be getting the 6MT.
Although it will be my daily driver, my work schedule isn't 9-5 so I'm not worried with traffic.

vj518 08-31-2007 07:41 PM

I didn't get mine yet, but I chose the 6mt. I drive in traffic most days with my Z and at first it drove me nuts. After the first few times I guess I just got used to it. I was actually considering an Automatic before becoming accustomed to driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

To me, I'd feel disconnected from the road in an automatic car, but I'd probably get used to it just like anything else. So...to each their own.

I'll take the 6sp though.

sanscu 08-31-2007 08:58 PM

I have never tried paddle shifters and the first few times during break-in has been amazing. I can't wait till the 1200 miles mark to let loose with those magnesium shifters. A lot of fun.

Garnet Canuck 08-31-2007 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by sanscu (Post 2222294)
I have never tried paddle shifters and the first few times during break-in has been amazing. I can't wait till the 1200 miles mark to let loose with those magnesium shifters. A lot of fun.

I feel your enthusiasm man. The paddles are a lot more fun that I ever would of thought they'd be. I'd still rather have a 6MT since I've driven manuals all my life, however my wife doesn't drive a manual tranny. Needless to say though, the paddles are a crap load of fun in the twisties. :driving:

stoian21 08-31-2007 10:11 PM

I had driven MTs for 13 years while I lived in DE and I wouldn't have even considered an AT. I really enjoyed it. It all ended when I moved to Central/North Jersey, 20 miles away from NYC. Sitting for 1-2 hours in traffic with start-stop start-stop was a torture. It got so bad I didn't want to go places because I hated the commute. Then a got a G35C with 5AT and I felt like a new-born, so pampered. It was such a relief. I could still use the manual mode for fun when I get a chance but at the same time I wasn't stuck with an MT in traffic. In both choices there is a compromise. If you live in a quite area deffinitely go for the 6MT. You will enjoy every second of it. If you live in a densely populated area you have to determine whether the fun outweighs the pain of shifting in traffic. Sometimes, I really miss the feel of an MT but with NJ traffic there is no room for action. As soon as you start having fun there will be either a slow moving car ahead of you or a cop

verbal_assassin 08-31-2007 11:09 PM

I think the real issue they choose to get AT is because they can't drive MT. Traffic is the weakest excuse ever. I'm in the OC and get stuck in traffic all the time. No problems at all.

And if driving the MT is soo bad in traffic, why aren't the UPS drivers, FedEX drivers and USPS driver complaining? Why aren't they protesting? Aren't they unionize?

I see more AT people who don't drive MT complaining more about driving MT in Traffic then these delivery driver.

bruddahmanmatt 08-31-2007 11:27 PM

6M/T FTMFW. You can't truly enjoy a G Coupe unless it has an M/T IMO. Even the 5A/T Sedan Sport with its paddle shifters gets boring after about 10 min. The only Infiniti's which still put a smile on my face despite being saddled with an A/T are the FX and the M, especially the 45s. And even then I wish the M was available with a 6M/T.

I say to each his own, but in my eyes, why get a slushbox if you're already giving up some practicality by going with a 2 door and a smaller trunk? Verbal Assassin is right, even most A/T buyers are ashamed of the fact that they're buying an A/T. That's why they're always ready with the "traffic is a b**ch" excuse. Whenever you ask someone with an A/T if their G is a stick, they'll start whining about traffic before you even finish your sentence. Different priorities I suppose. Hell I don't mind pulling up to red lights so that I can run my car up through it's gears before having to slow down and match revs on each downshift for the next red light. I'd rather granny shift at 2k between red lights for a half an hour than let my car do the shifting for me. I guess that's what being a 3 pedal enthusiast is all about, being willing or actually taking pleasure in dealing with a clutch in traffic in exchange for those few moments of bliss when the roads in front of you are clear. Cheeeeeee-hoooooooo. :driving:

Either that or you A/T guys are just pu**ies. Nah nah. j/k. :icon17:

N50 08-31-2007 11:31 PM

For this particular car I would go with the 5AT.

a.) The paddles shifters are fantastic. Even though it is still a "slushbox"...it's a very good one the paddles are quick and responsive.
b.) I already have a 5MT car that, even though it has 165k on it, it still a blast to drive
c.) I do a lot, ALOT of long distance driving. The automatic is just easy in every way for me.

There is still nothing like a manual trans, though.

WellBelowH2O 09-01-2007 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by verbal_assassin (Post 2222320)
I think the real issue they choose to get AT is because they can't drive MT. Traffic is the weakest excuse ever. I'm in the OC and get stuck in traffic all the time. No problems at all.

And if driving the MT is soo bad in traffic, why aren't the UPS drivers, FedEX drivers and USPS driver complaining? Why aren't they protesting? Aren't they unionize?

I see more AT people who don't drive MT complaining more about driving MT in Traffic then these delivery driver.

Wow, you are opinionated aren't you? How old are you? I don't mean it offensively at all, but you sound like a 20-something year old kid who hasn't driven a manual transmission for a very long time or long enough to realize that it's a pain in the *** year after year driving in traffic. To suggest that someone is choosing the AT because they can't drive a manual is just idiotic and your argument about UPS/USPS/FedEx drivers is ridiculous. Why not include all 18 wheelers then? These people get paid to drive... I don't get paid during my commute and having it be an aggravating ordeal driving into Jersey City off the NJ Turnpike with a manual just isn't worth it.

Same thing with you, bruddahmanmatt, your arguments make you sound like you're in your early 20's and haven't been driving long enough to realize that some people just really start to dislike driving a stick when they have to drive in traffic year after year. When I was 20-something, I had similar opinions about AT drivers with sports cars, but not any more having been around long enough to "feel their pain". Again, I don't mean any offense, but you're making a blanket statement about 5AT drivers and how we can't possibly enjoy driving our cars because of the transmissions we've chosen. I would argue that I'm able to enjoy it MORE because it's an AT and the type of driving I have to do.

CHI-TOWN G37 09-01-2007 09:28 AM

Traffic in Chicago is my issue as well. The paddle shifters so far are fun, but there is a lag and I'm hoping to train this thing a little better to up shift quicker over some open roads this week and see if it helps. The rev-matching downshifts so far are pretty good and at higher rpms it's an awesome sound with the windows open :) If I didn't have to deal with grid lock and there wasn't a paddle setup I would be driving the 6mt, no doubt. The trans on the auto is silky smooth so far and I'm not sure it needs another gear.

pensfan 09-01-2007 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by WellBelowH2O (Post 2222404)
you sound like a 20-something year old kid

Please don't lump *all* of us in with these fools ;) While I'm only interested in the 6MT, I'm sure as hell not going to knock or put down anyone for choosing a 5AT.

WellBelowH2O 09-01-2007 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by pensfan (Post 2222411)
Please don't lump *all* of us in with these fools ;) While I'm only interested in the 6MT, I'm sure as hell not going to knock or put down anyone for choosing a 5AT.

No.. I didn't mean it like that and certainly don't think that everyone in their early 20's thinks that way (hell, look at Yimbie--he's not even 20 yet). They just sound like a couple of kids who haven't had enough life experience to realize that things affect people differently... hell, I'm only 34, but I can tell you that I know a heck of a lot more than I did when I was 20-something, and certainly would wish I could take back a few of my "opinions" :)

vinnys coupe 09-01-2007 02:12 PM

live in the bronx=lazy

duke300zxtt 09-01-2007 02:37 PM

Now i have 06 5at before I have 03.5 6mt so my wife can drive it. What the hell did i thinking about that was the badddddddddd move. I miss my 6mt blk/on blk .

bruddahmanmatt 09-01-2007 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by WellBelowH2O (Post 2222404)
Same thing with you, bruddahmanmatt, your arguments make you sound like you're in your early 20's and haven't been driving long enough to realize that some people just really start to dislike driving a stick when they have to drive in traffic year after year. When I was 20-something, I had similar opinions about AT drivers with sports cars, but not any more having been around long enough to "feel their pain". Again, I don't mean any offense, but you're making a blanket statement about 5AT drivers and how we can't possibly enjoy driving our cars because of the transmissions we've chosen. I would argue that I'm able to enjoy it MORE because it's an AT and the type of driving I have to do.

Salty much? Notice how I repeatedly state that my comments are "my personal opinion." I even threw in a "to each his own." I have nothing against folks who go with an A/T Coupe, it's just not for me. The lack of an M/T is one of the reasons I could never see myself owning an IS350. I also love and respect all Gs, M/T or A/T. What I was agreeing with VA about was how SOME A/T drivers often make excuses for buying an A/T. What's wrong with saying "I bought an automatic because I wanted one." No need to "explain" how "traffic is such a b**ch." The worse cases are the ones where these guys end up regretting their purchase. On that note, I've also met a few M/T buyers who've regretted their's as well. Buy what you want to buy because you want to buy it and be proud of it. Don't make excuses.

Now go unwind your panties and let your car shift for you. :icon38: Just kidding dude. Relax.

RasG37 09-01-2007 03:17 PM

I got the 6MT because if your going to have a sports car (and the G coupe is a sports car). It makes little sense to have an automatic... Maybe its just me....

KAHBOOM 09-01-2007 03:18 PM

I like driving the 5AT as much as any manual I've owned. I sometimes miss having a clutch but only during a minority of the time.
The G37 has added appeal with the paddle shifters. But when I don't feel like shifting on my own I can switch to auto mode.
My wife can't drive a stick which is added incentive to buy an auto in case we need to switch cars. The 6MT version is less expensive when you add the sport package to the journey so if I were single, this round I might would opt for the 6MT just for a change. But my 03 G was the most fun car I have owned yet even though it's an auto. I anticipate raising the fun factor with the G37. And performance is now a non-factor in chosing transmissions nowadays (particularly in the G) so to me it's just a matter of personal taste.
As regards the sports car arguement- I say if you want a true sports car go all out with a 2 seater.

bboysteele 09-01-2007 03:35 PM

There are a lot more AT then I would have thought. I would have thought the MT would be a little higher than the AT...hmm

WellBelowH2O 09-01-2007 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt (Post 2222488)
Salty much? Notice how I repeatedly state that my comments are "my personal opinion." I even threw in a "to each his own." I have nothing against folks who go with an A/T Coupe, it's just not for me...What I was agreeing with VA about was how SOME A/T drivers often make excuses for buying an A/T. What's wrong with saying "I bought an automatic because I wanted one." No need to "explain" how "traffic is such a b**ch."

Hey.. it's all good... I know a lot of it was your opinion and I totally respect that, but when you start sentences using words like "Verbal Assassin is right, even most A/T buyers are ashamed of the fact that they're buying an A/T" and "whenever you ask someone with an A/T if their G is a stick, they'll start whining about traffic before you even finish your sentence" you've gone away from stating your opinions and come off as just ragging on 50% of the folks with the cars as if their reasoning behind going with an auto is not a legitimate reason.

Would I buy a 6MT if my situation was different? Sure, and I'm not buying the AT necessarily because I want it because it's an auto, but because certain circumstances, like traffic, means that I'm going to simply enjoy it more without having to deal with a stick (I've had plenty of manual transmissions to know... everything from Mustangs to BMWs).

Looking at your profile, I guess I hit the nail on the head huh? :D Just kidding dude. Relax.

:thewave:

kg37 09-01-2007 05:12 PM

to the OP... test drive both transmissions before you make a choice. Now as for me, when I get a G37 I want a 5AT. ( And yes I can drive a stick, I drive one now!!!) I just feel a 5AT is better for me. And why do 6MT drivers have to start to insult 5AT drivers when threads like this come up? Just because someone drives a 5AT doesn't mean they can't drive stick ( I drive a 99 Maxima supercharged with a stage 2 performance clutch from ACT as a DD). Some people just prefer an automatic.:)

CHI-TOWN G37 09-01-2007 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My old Toyota had a stick:

Attachment 75745

It was a bitch to drive to work though...

kg37 09-01-2007 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37 (Post 2222533)
My old Toyota had a stick:

Attachment 75745

It was a bitch to drive to work though...

Im not kidding about my Maxima.:JAMIN: Nice toyota though.

dukmahsik 09-01-2007 11:21 PM

6MT for life.

ABQG35c 09-01-2007 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by kg37 (Post 2222520)
to the OP... test drive both transmissions before you make a choice. Now as for me, when I get a G37 I want a 5AT. ( And yes I can drive a stick, I drive one now!!!) I just feel a 5AT is better for me. And why do 6MT drivers have to start to insult 5AT drivers when threads like this come up? Just because someone drives a 5AT doesn't mean they can't drive stick ( I drive a 99 Maxima supercharged with a stage 2 performance clutch from ACT as a DD). Some people just prefer an automatic.:)

I know, I guess i'll need to drive an 07 coupe 6mt then. I'm just sooooo damn confused. I too am shocked that there are more AT guys than 6mt. Stupid me tho, when I test drove the G37, I should of messed around with the paddle's... I think it was a Lexus IS300 that I test drove a while back and it had those, the response wasn't all that great. My friend's uncle also has a G35 sedan with paddle shifters and I don't remember it being that responsive either.

But when I drive now in my A/T Integra, with no power (slow SOB), I just think of some cases where i'd love to tear through the gears you know? Where it would be awesome to do so. Other times I think, I'm comfortable w/o it, and just wanna DRIVE you know? In all honesty guys, I just turned 22 on the 18th of August. My first car was the integra... Like I said, I had always wanted a M/T car since I drove my boys MK3 Supra Turbo. But now I think about the future, and when you're paying cash for a 40k dollar car, You cant just "return" it like you could an iPod and get something else... This is it. Once you drive it off the lot, your only other option is to sell it and loose out.

Guess like I said, I'll just need to go drive the 6mt myself and see. The dealer guy ran the G37 5AT pretty hard tho.. and the torque off the line on that car is f-in nuts, when you compare it to my... what...? 80ft lb's of torque to the wheels on my car? haha

kg37 09-02-2007 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by ABQG35c (Post 2222580)
I know, I guess i'll need to drive an 07 coupe 6mt then. I'm just sooooo damn confused. I too am shocked that there are more AT guys than 6mt. Stupid me tho, when I test drove the G37, I should of messed around with the paddle's... I think it was a Lexus IS300 that I test drove a while back and it had those, the response wasn't all that great. My friend's uncle also has a G35 sedan with paddle shifters and I don't remember it being that responsive either.

But when I drive now in my A/T Integra, with no power (slow SOB), I just think of some cases where i'd love to tear through the gears you know? Where it would be awesome to do so. Other times I think, I'm comfortable w/o it, and just wanna DRIVE you know? In all honesty guys, I just turned 22 on the 18th of August. My first car was the integra... Like I said, I had always wanted a M/T car since I drove my boys MK3 Supra Turbo. But now I think about the future, and when you're paying cash for a 40k dollar car, You cant just "return" it like you could an iPod and get something else... This is it. Once you drive it off the lot, your only other option is to sell it and loose out.

Guess like I said, I'll just need to go drive the 6mt myself and see. The dealer guy ran the G37 5AT pretty hard tho.. and the torque off the line on that car is f-in nuts, when you compare it to my... what...? 80ft lb's of torque to the wheels on my car? haha

Like you I am 22 and I was in your same situation when I was buying my Maxima when I just entered college for Nursing. The big difference is my Maxima only costs 6,000... not 40,000! So you need to be careful. Sometimes i enjoy driving stick revmatching, heel and toe puts a smile on my face until I hit traffic or im tired from doing a 12hour shift with needy sick people. I also regret my stick when another sup'ed up4AT Max raps me from a dig:mad: Just remember to take everything into consideration when you make your purchase. Buy what you want and not what you think others are going to say about you because they are not going to be paying your damn car note!!:)

KAHBOOM 09-02-2007 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by ABQG35c (Post 2222580)
when I test drove the G37, I should of messed around with the paddle's... I think it was a Lexus IS300 that I test drove a while back and it had those, the response wasn't all that great.

The IS350 is not a "real time" gear selector, it is only a "top gear" selector- so yeah it is not as responsive. When I test drove one, I would definitely opt for an MT if they made one in that car. But the G has a far superior engagement. It is a "current gear/ real time" selector.

and the torque off the line on that car is f-in nuts, when you compare it to my... what...? 80ft lb's of torque to the wheels on my car? haha
That torquey feel off the line comes from a high stall torque converter combined with a pretty flat torque curve. It engages most effectively when you floor it from the start. There is a slight delay and then the engagement is wicked. It is almost like slipping the clutch in the MT version. .

shumby 09-02-2007 12:25 AM

Same reason for me hate to sit in city trafic with a 6 speed how ever the wife can drive a stick but hates it in the city.

ABQG35c 09-02-2007 12:58 AM

Yeah, that car like yanked me off the line, and I wasn't even flooring it, I was pushing the pedal like I do my integra.. guess I gotta learn that if I push it as much as I usually do on my car, I'll throw up some smoke lol.

I'd tell you what would make my decision a lot easier, if Infiniti got enough smarts to throw in a 6spd auto... I mean Toyota has it, Benz has it, BMW has it, etc etc... Why didn't they throw one in this car? Is it to push 6mt sells?

Comatose 09-02-2007 04:17 AM

Can you imagine if "automatic-steering" was an option? To me its kind of like that.. the pleasure of rowing thru a manual gearbox is as much as being able to steer or control the throttle of a car. For a sporty car I think its a must to enjoy the full extent of the car.

bboysteele 09-02-2007 12:29 PM

Looks like 6mt is about to overtake 5at just like in a real race. ;) jk...sorta

KAHBOOM 09-02-2007 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by bboysteele (Post 2222647)
Looks like 6mt is about to overtake 5at just like in a real race. ;) jk...sorta

Ha ha Ya except in a real race - according to the numbers that I have seen it is the other way around. The 6MT gets to 60 first (by @ 1 tenth) and the 5AT gets to 100 first (by @ 1 tenth). (kinda wierd- you would think that it would be the other way around). But then again you can't really get an accurate picture when mag-racing- to many variables to consider. The dyno for the sedan shows a 2 HP advantage at the wheels for the 6MT over the 5AT (the coupe is using the same drive trane). The 5ATs torque converter makes up for that easily. At the track the guy driving the 6MT against the 5AT had better shift perfectly just to keep even. That is also one of the things I like about a 5AT - consistency. The only real advantage to a 6MT is the "fun factor" of the clutch.
Back in the day - the reason that you avoided an AT was because of drivetrane loss and no control. With that factor being now a non-factor (same drive trane loss and same ability to control the gears)- to me the 5AT is the way to go. Who cares what others think. If my 5AT is as fun to me as someone's 6MT is to them then that is all that matters- right :dunno:

MaximaPower 09-02-2007 12:58 PM

it was head to head....i tipped the scale..6MT FTW

ABQG35c 09-02-2007 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM (Post 2222650)
Ha ha Ya except in a real race - according to the numbers that I have seen it is the other way around. The 6MT gets to 60 first (by @ 1 tenth) and the 5AT gets to 100 first (by @ 1 tenth). (kinda wierd- you would think that it would be the other way around). But then again you can't really get an accurate picture when mag-racing- to many variables to consider. The dyno for the sedan shows a 2 HP advantage at the wheels for the 6MT over the 5AT (the coupe is using the same drive trane). The 5ATs torque converter makes up for that easily. At the track the guy driving the 6MT against the 5AT had better shift perfectly just to keep even. That is also one of the things I like about a 5AT - consistency. The only real advantage to a 6MT is the "fun factor" of the clutch.
Back in the day - the reason that you avoided an AT was because of drivetrane loss and no control. With that factor being now a non-factor (same drive trane loss and same ability to control the gears)- to me the 5AT is the way to go. Who cares what others think. If my 5AT is as fun to me as someone's 6MT is to them then that is all that matters- right :dunno:

Yo are you ****ing me around? Or are you serious? Others confirm?

gurneyeagle 09-02-2007 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by dmkozak (Post 2222224)
I actually knew Peter, having been a Porsche racer during that era. While I never heard him make any such comments, Brumos, the dealership he owned, also owned a MBZ dealership. When Peter was not driving Porsches on the street (all 5 speeds by the way), he was driving a SL MBZ, which only came with an automatic. His partner, Hurley Haywood, liked the SLs so much, they were pretty much the only cars Hurley drove on the street.

As a salesman, it is easy to understand Peter making such a comment if he was at the MBZ store. If he was at the Porsche/Audi store, it is really unlikely he would have made such a comment, especially because the only automatic tranny Porsche had at the time was the Sportomatic.

Also, the dealerships were in Jacksonville FL, not known for traffic problems in the 70's.

Wow, you knew Peter Gregg? Awesome, I was a big fan, having attended the 24 Hours of Daytona for many years.

The quote was attributed to Peter on "Dream Car Garage" when Peter Klutz drove one of Gregg's 1973 911.

Thanks for sharing your story.

dmkozak 09-02-2007 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle (Post 2222663)
The quote was attributed to Peter on "Dream Car Garage" when Peter Klutz drove one of Gregg's 1973 911.

Was that the coupe where the race shop built the engine up from 2.34 liters to 2.55 liters? It was dropped on the torsion bars, had steel fender flares and wider Fuchs alloys. I think it also had a bored out exhaust.

gurneyeagle 09-02-2007 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by dmkozak (Post 2222675)
Was that the coupe where the race shop built the engine up from 2.34 liters to 2.55 liters? It was dropped on the torsion bars, had steel fender flares and wider Fuchs alloys. I think it also had a bored out exhaust.

From what I remember, it was an orange 911S that looked bone stock.

gurney

da45king 09-02-2007 06:22 PM

I don't know about you....but I doubt anyone ...especially a magazine tester can "out-row" me in my own car. Once you break in your own transmission learning the ins and outs (synchros some agreeable some not).. can you really fall to an automatic? I never have in the G35. I suspect the 6MT will be a bit faster with skilled drivers especially the ones whos primary car is the 6MT.

ABQG35c 09-02-2007 09:57 PM

Anyone confirm that 6mt vs 5at statement above?

KAHBOOM 09-02-2007 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by ABQG35c (Post 2222660)
Yo are you ****ing me around? Or are you serious? Others confirm?

I am serious... I will try to find the dyno and links to the tests. If someone finds them before me- feel free to post...But these two drivetranes pretty much dead even in acceleration. They improved the operation of the AT very much in the G. The previous gen G was about the best slushbox I have seen/ experiened and the new one is now even better.

kg37 09-02-2007 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=KAHBOOM;2222650]Ha ha Ya except in a real race - according to the numbers that I have seen it is the other way around. The 6MT gets to 60 first (by @ 1 tenth) and the 5AT gets to 100 first (by @ 1 tenth). (kinda wierd- you would think that it would be the other way around). But then again you can't really get an accurate picture when mag-racing- to many variables to consider. The dyno for the sedan shows a 2 HP advantage at the wheels for the 6MT over the 5AT (the coupe is using the same drive trane). The 5ATs torque converter makes up for that easily. At the track the guy driving the 6MT against the 5AT had better shift perfectly just to keep even. That is also one of the things I like about a 5AT - consistency. The only real advantage to a 6MT is the "fun factor" of the clutch.

I agree with what you said about an AT being more consistent (especially from a dig). I also believe that the only real advantage that a manual has is a greater fun factor when driving the car. I also heard about the BMW 335i 6AT showing only a small disadvantage in hp on a dyno to the 6MT (only about a 5hp difference is what i heard). I don't know how true that is.:dunno:

KAHBOOM 09-02-2007 11:29 PM

This isn't the one that I was referring to but this person got very similar results. In one test only 1 to 4 HP less than the other 6MTs that had posted their results.
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...highlight=dyno

And the worst dyno run for the AT vs the best dyno run posted for the MT showed a difference of 9 HP (in favor of the MT)
The best dyno run of the AT vs the worst dyno run of the MT was a difference of 1HP (in favor of the MT)
The best dyno run of the AT vs the best dyno run of the MT was a difference of 4HP (in favor of the MT). Neither of these were tested at the same time as each other however. The one that I remembered that was tested under the same conditions showed a difference of 2 HP in favor of the MT

Peak torque in all testes were pretty much the exact same and in some tests the AT had more peak torque than one or more 6MT tests. Granted the OP had bolt ons but bolt ons don't do anything much for these cars. I will keep searching for the other tests as well as the mag test results.

KAHBOOM 09-03-2007 12:09 AM

5AT Road test from Edmunds:
0 - 30 (sec): 2.2
0 - 45 (sec): 3.7
0 - 60 (sec): 5.5
0 - 75 (sec): 8
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.9 @ 102.8

6MT ROAD TEST FROM EDMUNDS
0 - 30 (sec): 2
0 - 45 (sec): 3.5
0 - 60 (sec): 5.4
0 - 75 (sec): 7.9
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.8 @ 102.0

6MT Road test from C/D

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.2 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 36.2 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.9 sec @ 103 mph

I have also seen a 5.2 for the AT and a 5.4 for the AT (0-60)

Now these that are posted were tested at different times obviously by different testers. But you can get a relative idea that the two trannys are almost identical in performance. No other mags have tested with any drastically different results for either transmissions.

dmkozak 09-03-2007 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle (Post 2222700)
From what I remember, it was an orange 911S that looked bone stock.

gurney

Thanks. The car I remember was a sort of silver-blue metallic. I can't remember the name of the color, but it was a very nice looking 911.

ABQG35c 09-03-2007 12:49 AM

Hey KAHBOOM, I think you told me bro. I really do. Another question about the paddle shifters. Is it pretty much like a SMG tranny on the BMW's? Can you downshift and it hold that gear? Until you change it, like a manual?

tractng 09-03-2007 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeet P (Post 2222190)
I agree....would never settle for a AT only so the wife could drive it. If my wife wants to drive it...then she's gonna learn! If the car is for my wife...that's a different story. But if its for me....I'm getting what I want.

I should have learned!!

I had an 350z manual coupe for 2.5 years. Then traded it in for an AT 350z roadster. I love the car, but the AT is not the same.

My next car will be 6mt no matter what.

Tony

KAHBOOM 09-03-2007 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ABQG35c (Post 2222784)
Hey KAHBOOM, I think you told me bro. I really do. Another question about the paddle shifters. Is it pretty much like a SMG tranny on the BMW's? Can you downshift and it hold that gear? Until you change it, like a manual?

Yes you can hold the gear as long as you want. When you slow down to stop, it will automatically downshift for you if you don't do it first. But it is best to allow the car to downshift when stopping normally- it does it much smoother. But whne performance driving the gear you select is the gear it stays in.

ABQG35c 09-03-2007 01:27 PM

In my last post, I meant "SOLD" me, not Told me.. lol.

I'm really considering the AT now. Again, I was out driving, and I was thinking, right now i'd love to have a manual transmission.. But on the way home I was enjoying my AT so IDK.. wtf

KAHBOOM 09-03-2007 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ABQG35c (Post 2222900)
In my last post, I meant "SOLD" me, not Told me.. lol.

I'm really considering the AT now. Again, I was out driving, and I was thinking, right now i'd love to have a manual transmission.. But on the way home I was enjoying my AT so IDK.. wtf

oh yeah I understood :icon38:.. Like I always say to folks- test drive for yourself to see what your personalpreference is. You can't go wrong with either choice though.

ABQG35c 09-04-2007 10:34 AM

Any other reasons

spyderbret 09-04-2007 06:32 PM

I have been driving a stick for a long time now so I think I just got tired of it. I know I will get another manual transmission car in the future, but for now I really enjoy the AT.
Besides, if its good enough for the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti it's good enough for me!!!
(not really the same...I know :D)

Callaway 09-04-2007 07:17 PM

I am enjoying every moment I drive my car with AT. If I want some fun, I flip it over to DS mode. If I just want to cruise, I leave it in drive and enjoy the smooth, quiet ride and awesome sound system.

skaterbasist 09-04-2007 11:25 PM

Daily driven 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT and loving every shift.

An AT isn't even on my mind. Atleast not at this stage of my life. Maybe when I get arthritis or something ;)

stoian21 09-05-2007 11:06 AM

The 5AT in the G37 has been greatly improved compared to the G35C. The Gear ratios in the G35 were
5AT 6MT
1st 3.540 3.794
2nd 2.264 2.324
FDR 3.357 3.538
So in 1st gear 6MT has 13% more torque available bacause of the higher multiplier and in 2nd gear it was 8.2% in favor of 6MT. The 5AT wouldn't stand a chance against 6MT in a straight line 0-60.
Now in G37:
5AT 6MT
1st 3.841 3.794
2nd 2.352 2.324
FDR 3.692 3.692

5AT has 1.2% torque advantage based on gear ratios in both 1st and 2nd gear. With this and the high stall torque converter the 5AT more than compensates for the auto transmission. Performance wise (0-60) the gap has been closed. Now it's just a matter of personal preference. In real life (street) scenarios the AT now will be just as quick as the MT in 5-60. You would have to launch at 5,000 RPM in the MT and are really quick at shifting gears to gain that small 0.1, 0.2 seconds advantage. I would say that an average MT driver will be challenged by an AT guy in a G37 in a normal street race if that's what you're after, of course. The 6MT has a (60-100) 1/4 mile advantage because of the closer gear ratio in 3rd but to a guy like me who has never been on the track and don't remember the last time I was doing 100-120 m\h on the highway and uses the car as a DD the 5AT will be just fine. For all practical purposes, the 5AT is nice and smooth, and nippy when I need it. I just don't see the performance benefit anymore to justify the pain of shifting gears manually especially in central NJ traffic all the time, day after day, year after year.

jdm_inspire 09-05-2007 11:12 AM

I forgot to mention trade-in value ... the 5AT might be "worth" more than the 6MT (smaller pool to buy from). If you're going to trade-in to a dealer, the 5AT will be worth more than the cost of the option when new compared to the 6MT (depending on the supply/demand of the car). If this were a sports car like a Corvette or a Z ... might be a different story. However, this is a 'luxury' car so it might work out the opposite. Dealers don't care about things (ie how rare a 6MT is) like that -- they worry about how quickly they can flip it for.

Of course ... if you sell privately, you might be able to sell for more (on an equally equipped car + miles) since the 6MT might be more "rare".

ABQG35c 09-06-2007 01:03 AM

I'm going for more test drives later this week. Guy's getting a 6MT G37 in.. and I'll drive the auto and check out those paddle shifters...

jccarr 09-06-2007 06:32 AM

I test drove a g37 6mt yesterday and a 5at on a prior visit. I have still not decided on what to buy. My impression of the g37 6mt was very good. Clutch is smooth and easy and no noise from the tranny at high RPMs. The shifter was very smooth and was easy to find gears. The car was very refined and had quality feeling at all RPMs. So, to me, all of the issues with the tranny and clutch have been answered.

One initial impression I had was a 2nd gear acceleration on the g37 6mt seemed weak. I was going fast enough that I would not have selected first gear from the stand point I felt it may have been abusive on the syncros and tranny, but from a performance stand point, first gear was the only choice. In this case I believe for real world driving and unplanned acceleration the AT may have an advantage. So my impression is the AT seemed torquer and quicker than the MT but that is due to the AT's ability down shift without the driver feeling abusive or looking like an overly aggressive race driver when first gear is what you actually wanted.

I currently drive a 300ZX MT and a Honda van AT and I am 51 years old.

gurneyeagle 09-06-2007 07:16 AM

As someone who is in to day 2 with a G37, let me say just one thing - WOW!

This car is the tightest car I have ever owned. The structure is amazing - no rattles, shakes, or shudders.

I'm blown away by the audio and nav systems.

The point of this rant? I don't think you can go wrong with either a 6MT or a 5AT. The car is that good!

BTW - I was glad I got the 5AT as I crawled home in traffic last night. Pick the car you want beased on your driving environment.

ABQG35c 09-06-2007 11:05 PM

Ok guys, another question just came to mind. How much does it cost to replace the clutch on a G35, guessing it'll be the same or close to on the G37. And under moderate driving, and some fun and go driving..how long does the OE clutch last?

likwidfuzion 09-06-2007 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ABQG35c (Post 2223751)
Ok guys, another question just came to mind. How much does it cost to replace the clutch on a G35, guessing it'll be the same or close to on the G37. And under moderate driving, and some fun and go driving..how long does the OE clutch last?

A clutch should last a long time if you don't drive wrecklessly. My brother has a '95 Integra and he hasn't replaced the clutch ever. I've had my '91 Prelude for about 5 years now and I have yet to replace my clutch as well.

ABQG35c 09-06-2007 11:15 PM

What are some prices for repair tho? Dealership only... I dont wanna take it to some dumb jackass, even tho with my luck, that same dumb jackass works at Infiniti...

likwidfuzion 09-06-2007 11:23 PM

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...niti-g35-2.htm

KAHBOOM 09-07-2007 12:11 AM

Up higher on this page, I added the 6MT road test from edmunds. As you can see it's pretty much a wash in acceleration
0 - 30 (sec): 2
0 - 45 (sec): 3.5
0 - 60 (sec): 5.4
0 - 75 (sec): 7.9
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.8 @ 102.0

ABQG35c 09-07-2007 12:37 AM

Just found this for the 08 Coupe http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...infiniti-g.htm

Heat 09-07-2007 10:14 AM

According to my experience replacing clutches in my 01 Z28 Camaro, driving under intense conditions (i.e. racing, weaving), and we have had to replace the clutch at 50,000 and 90,000 miles. This is prob the worst case scenario for any driver. For each one it was costing us around $500 installed for a Z06 clutch. Basing off this and the G35 clutch's cost, a G37 stock clutch will run close to $500 with probably $300-400 in labor. Hope this helps.

ABQG35c 09-07-2007 12:26 PM

Helps a lot. Thanks for the info Heat.

jonnylaw 09-09-2007 10:50 PM

the 6mt is a better value imo. I prefer m/t in sport compact cars like g/z/rsx. I prefer autos for luxury sedans. Infinit'e m/t's are sold with more performance in mine than a/t. That's why the m/t's come standard with sports package and still get hand brakes but the auto doesn't! Hand brake is crucial IMO in time attack/drifting, how do you at's manage wout it in those "racing" conditions? Not trying to bash, honest, the fact that the g37 autos get same hp as mt's is a big step up in performance, but the tranny selection has different consequences in racing conditions, and on the street as it works both ways. Until smg, I'm sticking to m/t. As another post said; it really comes down to pesonal preference.

shumby 09-09-2007 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jonnylaw (Post 2224299)
the 6mt is a better value imo. I prefer m/t in sport compact cars like g/z/rsx. I prefer autos for luxury sedans. Infinit'e m/t's are sold with more performance in mine than a/t. That's why the m/t's come standard with sports package and still get hand brakes but the auto doesn't! Hand brake is crucial IMO in time attack/drifting, how do you at's manage wout it in those "racing" conditions? Not trying to bash, honest, the fact that the g37 autos get same hp as mt's is a big step up in performance, but the tranny selection has different consequences in racing conditions, and on the street as it works both ways. Until smg, I'm sticking to m/t. As another post said; it really comes down to pesonal preference.

Don't race r drift so don't care just looking for a fun car that goes has a good proven block and looks cool. Why is everything about racing. this is a lux sport not a race car.

jonnylaw 09-09-2007 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by shumby (Post 2224301)
Don't race r drift so don't care just looking for a fun car that goes has a good proven block and looks cool. Why is everything about racing. this is a lux sport not a race car.

Like I said, it comes down to personal preference. If u r more into luxury and daily driver than the a/t might be the better choice. If u like to track or feel more connected to the car and road than the m/t is likely the better choice. Regardless of tranny choice, its a great car.

Obviously if u look a my sig, my mods should tell u I'm more with the m/t experience; hence I'm biased. My point was only that while engine numbers might be the same, the choice of tranny will influence its progression on the track/street.

jmunjr 09-10-2007 06:40 AM

This is definitely once area where the Europeans have Americans dominated - they know how to drive, and nearly all cars there are MT. Many of the autos are rentals that American tourists use.

For me driving is a pleasurable experience. Well, I make it that way at least. You'll rarely see me driving cool and easy down the road. I'm always going fast, darting in and out of traffic and hitting the turns hard, among other things.

And knock on wood, no accident as a result of such. In fact, the only accidents I've ever had were while consistently driving in a "civil" manner. Doing so was so boring I stopped paying attention to the road..

And the above is precisely why I think MTs are superior. They require more involvement to drive, hence require more attention to drive and more attention on the road, though only if you are experienced at it.

Just my opinion of course.

KAHBOOM 09-10-2007 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by jonnylaw (Post 2224299)

The only racing I ever do at the track is at the drag strip. The AT in this case is a better choice for consistency. I don't drift and even in the twisties, I can still control the gears.

stoian21 09-10-2007 11:33 AM

Jmunjr, the reason Europeans drive MTs is not because they are more enthusiastic about driving or that they think that you are a better driver if you drive stick.
I grew up in Europe and learned to drive in MT cars, just like everyone else over there. Learning to drive MT is no big deal. It just takes a little bit of practice, that’s all. After a while you get so used to it, that you don’t even notice that you are doing it. I could drive for miles and miles in heavy traffic and it doesn’t even register in my mind that I am shifting gears. It becomes so natural and routine, you can think about something totally different while you are going through the gears at each traffic light without even remembering when you shifted. You subconsciously shift gears based on car noise and speed, and after driving for a while there is no joy there. It becomes even a nuisance after a few years. You might as well let the AT do it for you.
Back to the topic. The reason Europeans drive stick is because they are VERY VERY gas consumption cautious. Gas prices in Europe are times higher than they are in the US. Europe is more densely populated and most driving is mixed to city. A car with MT is more fuel efficient because of less torque loss and lower weight. The vast majority of people over there drive cars that have 1.2 to 1.6 liter engines with 1.4 being the most popular choice, with power ranging in the 60-100 HP range. These are not enthusiasts’ cars. Vehicle annual taxes and title transfers become very steep for cars with engines above 2.0L.
Because cars in Europe are way underpowered compared to US standards for fuel consumption and emission purposes, an AT is simply not economical and powerful enough over there. I have driven a 1.4L car with an AT and it’s horrible – bad fuel economy and poor performance. You turn on the AC and it's even worse…So, naturaly, ATs are not popular. Plus, diesel is very popular over there. A diesel AT would be even more sluggish. Also, AT’s are a lot more expensive to replace over there. So Europeans drive MTs for economical reasons not enthusiastic ones.
Cars in the US are so much more powerful that you don’t feel the AT transmission losses in a 300+HP car plus the 2 MPG difference at US gas prices is not going to hurt your wallet, so naturally people choose convenience over savings.

solopresident 09-10-2007 12:42 PM

I choose the 6mt. There is just something about being in control of your gears that is more enjoyable to me, not to mention it comes standard with the sport package and is just way more fun to drive.

I live in So. Cal and frequent all the fun traffic spots 3-4 times a week and the ex who was living with me can't drive a stick. She begged me to get the auto but i said, nah. Plus once its modded, no way will she drive it.

CHI-TOWN G37 09-10-2007 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by stoian21 (Post 2224379)
Jmunjr, the reason Europeans drive MTs is not because they are more enthusiastic about driving or that they think that you are a better driver if you drive stick.
I grew up in Europe and learned to drive in MT cars, just like anyone else over there. Learning to drive MT is no big deal. It just takes a little bit of practice, that’s all. After a while you get so used to it, that you don’t even notice that you are doing it. I could drive for miles and miles in heavy traffic and it doesn’t even register in my mind that I am shifting gears. It becomes so natural and routine, you can think about something totally different while you are going through the gears at each traffic light without even remembering when you shifted. You subconsciously shift gears based on car noise and speed, and after driving for a while there is no joy there. It becomes even a nuisance after a few years. You might as well let the AT do it for you.
Back to the topic. The reason Europeans dive stick is because they are VERY VERY gas consumption cautious. Gas prices in Europe are times higher than they are in the US. Europe is more densely populated and most driving is mixed to city. A car with MT is more fuel efficient because of less torque loss and lower weight. The vast majority of people over there drive cars that have 1.2 to 1.6 liter engines with 1.4 being the most popular choice, with power ranging in the 60-100 HP range. These are not enthusiasts’ cars. Vehicle annual taxes and title transfers become very steep for cars with engines above 2.0L.
Because cars in Europe are way underpowered compared to US standards for fuel consumption and emission purposes, an AT is simply not economical and powerful enough over there. I have driven a 1.4L car with an AT and it’s horrible – bad fuel economy and poor performance. You turn on the AC and it's even worse…So, naturaly, ATs are not popular. Plus, diesel is very popular over there. A diesel AT would be even more sluggish. Also, AT’s are a lot more expensive to replace over there. So Europeans drive MTs for economical reasons not enthusiastic ones.
Cars in the US are so much more powerful that you don’t feel the AT transmission losses in a 300+HP car plus the 2 MPG difference at US gas prices is not going to hurt your wallet, so naturally people choose convenience over savings.

Thank you for that highly intelligent and accurate comment. That was a refreshing read for a change! :biggthumpup:

If anyone doesn't think you can drive this 5 A/T fast, hold gears, double down-shift, etc., you need to try it. Sure it doesn't have a hand e-brake, but that would be about all that it lacks.

jmunjr needs to buy a hemi cuda and get off this board :eek3:

ABQG35c 09-10-2007 04:23 PM

It looks like 5AT came to a halt...

dmkozak 09-10-2007 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ABQG35c (Post 2224425)
It looks like 5AT came to a halt...

Well there is another good reason for a MT; apparently most of today's young car thieves can not drive manual transmission cars. Autos are more likely to be stolen.

finagle69 09-10-2007 05:13 PM

judging from the fact that there are probably no where near 150 G37 owners here, i'd have to take this poll with a grain of salt ;)

jmunjr 09-10-2007 05:25 PM

That's a good point, though I am not sure I agree that it is the only reason. Perhaps there are more MTs because their governments are supposedly more consumption cautious. My friends in Frankfurt never mentioned gas consumption, and my European friends here got to know me because they saw I drove an MT and were "impressed"..

And yeah driving an MT is second nature for me as well, but in doing so it makes paying attention second nature. When I drive an auto I feel confused.. :)

I grew up in Europe and learned to drive in MT cars, just like everyone else over there. Learning to drive MT is no big deal. It just takes a little bit of practice, that’s all. After a while you get so used to it, that you don’t even notice that you are doing it. I could drive for miles and miles in heavy traffic and it doesn’t even register in my mind that I am shifting gears. It becomes so natural and routine, you can think about something totally different while you are going through the gears at each traffic light without even remembering when you shifted. You subconsciously shift gears based on car noise and speed, and after driving for a while there is no joy there. It becomes even a nuisance after a few years. You might as well let the AT do it for you.
Back to the topic. The reason Europeans drive stick is because they are VERY VERY gas consumption cautious. Gas prices in Europe are times higher than they are in the US. Europe is more densely populated and most driving is mixed to city. A car with MT is more fuel efficient because of less torque loss and lower weight. The vast majority of people over there drive cars that have 1.2 to 1.6 liter engines with 1.4 being the most popular choice, with power ranging in the 60-100 HP range. These are not enthusiasts’ cars. Vehicle annual taxes and title transfers become very steep for cars with engines above 2.0L.

ABQG35c 09-10-2007 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by finagle69 (Post 2224435)
judging from the fact that there are probably no where near 150 G37 owners here, i'd have to take this poll with a grain of salt ;)

If you read my original post, I said G35 or G37's... But thanks for the heads up.

shumby 09-10-2007 08:21 PM

grew up on mt. Learned to drive on a 5 speed civic them 5 speed sentra, then 5 speed sunfire. I know $hitty cars but that is not the point. Yes i agree that a mt is fun to drive. I mean i was 15 and driving an underpowered car but it was fun because it was a mt.
now i am looking for something more refined "lux sport".
Neither one is better and neither is worse they are different and both at 330 hp will be a he!! of a lot of fun to drive.

And as for europe it is all about the fuel prices. When i was in france for 6 weeks i had a new nissan micra what a fun car to have in the tight streets of Pau france. A mt is a ust over there or you'l have no power and no fun.

ivory37 09-10-2007 09:50 PM

The clutch and gearbox in the 6MT are butter. I wouldnt have it any other way in this car.

KAHBOOM 09-10-2007 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by jmunjr (Post 2224437)
And yeah driving an MT is second nature for me as well, but in doing so it makes paying attention second nature. When I drive an auto I feel confused.. :)

WOW:LMAO2:

kg37 09-10-2007 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by shumby (Post 2224301)

++++1

skaterbasist 09-11-2007 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM (Post 2224347)
The only racing I ever do at the track is at the drag strip. The AT in this case is a better choice for consistency. I don't drift and even in the twisties, I can still control the gears.

That's what practice is all about, especially in a 6MT ;)

I'm a good enough drag racer to have consistency on most of my runs. Ofcourse, launching is always the biggest factor. But I have my shifting in excellent consistency.

I don't get why performance is ever brought up when choosing between a manual or automatic (this is not directed to you KAHBOOM; im speaking in general). I didn't even bother to think of performance when I chose a 6MT. The only thing I could think of was its fun factor...

I didn't have conveniance nor performance as a factor in my decision; fun was the biggest factor. Therefore, the choice was an easy choice. :)

RBull 09-11-2007 11:23 AM

Good post. Most of this is right on. Having lived in Europe years ago and driven cars over there I understand.

It seems to be a contradiction though to say driving an MT is natural, routine and subconscious and after a while it becomes a nuisance. The first part is true but the reason an MT can become a nuisance is the type of driving you have to do. If it is a lot of stop and go and in traffic the shifting is not subconscious and natural. It takes thought, action and lots of extra effort so it becomes tiresome. In a more rural setting or low traffic situations this isn't the same kind of issue.

MT's also aren't always lower weights than AT's. Gas prices in Europe are always higher than in the US and have been for many years.