MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   6MT or 5AT (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/173967-6mt-or-5at.html)

ABQG35c 08-31-2007 01:10 PM

6MT or 5AT

I'm seeing a lot of people getting the 5AT. What's the reasoning behind this? Daily driver? Lazy? what? lol

I'm still trying to choose between one or the other. I currently have an Auto 91 integra that i'll be putting in the garage... But i've been wanting a Manual transmission since I got the Auto teg... But when I test drove the G37, that thing had balls, and it was a 5AT. So just some general input here would be very helpful just so I know what's made you choose the type of transmission you choose.. Be it a G35 or G37

Thanks a lot guys!

WellBelowH2O 08-31-2007 01:18 PM

Couple reasons... first, while I love driving a manual, I cannot stand sitting in traffic with one (and I sit in a ton of traffic at least once a week). Second, my wife can't drive a stick, so I got the auto so she could use the car too (I've tried to teach her, but she didn't get it/want to get it).

tmartin316 08-31-2007 01:21 PM

The most fun I've ever had driving a car came from a manual transmission, however, I chose the 5AT.

I chose it because 1) Daily traffic in DC. 2) The AT is awesome and the paddle shifters and "sport" mode for the automatic shifter are a lot of fun as well and work very well. Everything I've read and my very brief test drive said that this system is much improved over the sedan's. I'll be able to tell for myself very soon :-)

It would be nice to have a 6th gear though...

Heat 08-31-2007 01:28 PM

I love driving a stick but like previously stated, it really sucks in traffic. That is my number 1 reason why I got a 5AT. I really love the paddle shifters and the sport shifting on it too. So it is like having the conveniences of both.

jdm_inspire 08-31-2007 01:37 PM

Depends on where you go ... and how dense traffic is. There will always be the "I don't care ... manual always" crowd and those who will say, "Forget it ... auto if I live in high traffic areas". Will the car be the daily driver? I've been to Albuquerque (I have family in Los Alamos) many times and I've never come across horrendous traffic. I have encountered many nice roads that I would have loved to ripped in a G (had my aunt's old school Subie auto) so I wouldn't know what to pick (like yourself) ... :(

So ... boils down to whether or not you want this as a DD. If so, then you might be tempted with a 5AT. Otherwise ... get the 6MT. (If all goes well, I'll have a 6MT after new year's ... and hopefully won't have a decision change after the Tokyo or Detroit autoshows!)

IP37 08-31-2007 01:42 PM

mine will be more of a weekend ride, and i didn't like the small delay you get when using the paddle shifters ( i drove the sedan, maybe the coupe is different? )

i thought hard about it, but in the end i just thought i'd enjoy the 6mt more

Sweeet P 08-31-2007 01:49 PM

IMO...gotta get a 6MT...hands down..especially for a coupe. My only gripe is that the AT should be a 6 speed as well. A bit of a let down knowing that other new automakers (BMW, Toyota/Lexus) are 6 speed autos. You would think that since the 07 g35 sedan and 08 g37 coupe are total redesigns...they would have made it a point to be on even par with their competitors.

gurneyeagle 08-31-2007 02:29 PM

I love manuals, but got the 5AT because of the daily commute. I can't even find a 6MT to test drive down here in New Orleans.

gurney

jdm_inspire 08-31-2007 02:32 PM

^ Sometimes the need to get a car to market and competitive forces such as engineering cost to keep a selling price low supercedes the force to "keep up with the Joneses". It would be nice to have a 6AT or a 6MT tranny option, but guess it wasn't meant to be. Guess the engineering money went toward the engine...

Maybe the 6AT will be side-stepped for a 7AT??? If you're going to miss the boat this time, you might as well leapfrog and go ahead one-generation. Then again ... Nissan has thrown countless millions into a CVT ... will that be in store for the G???

PS If I'm going with a G, I will get a 6MT. Will teach my wife to drive a stick with this car (along with perfecting the shift myself ... I can drive a MT but not very well)

Callaway 08-31-2007 02:35 PM

This will be my DD so I chose 5AT. Traffic is getting worse and will only grow as the population grows. If this was my weekend toy, definitely 6MT.

finagle69 08-31-2007 02:40 PM

5AT here. commute + fiance = no shift. the hatred of shifting in gridlock FAR exceeds the joy of shifting in the open for me.

Sweeet P 08-31-2007 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdm_inspire (Post 2222178)
^ Sometimes the need to get a car to market and competitive forces such as engineering cost to keep a selling price low supercedes the force to "keep up with the Joneses". It would be nice to have a 6AT or a 6MT tranny option, but guess it wasn't meant to be. Guess the engineering money went toward the engine...

Maybe the 6AT will be side-stepped for a 7AT??? If you're going to miss the boat this time, you might as well leapfrog and go ahead one-generation. Then again ... Nissan has thrown countless millions into a CVT ... will that be in store for the G???

PS If I'm going with a G, I will get a 6MT. Will teach my wife to drive a stick with this car (along with perfecting the shift myself ... I can drive a MT but not very well)

I agree....would never settle for a AT only so the wife could drive it. If my wife wants to drive it...then she's gonna learn! If the car is for my wife...that's a different story. But if its for me....I'm getting what I want.

Callaway 08-31-2007 02:48 PM

So glad they didn't go CVT on the G.

gurneyeagle 08-31-2007 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by finagle69 (Post 2222184)
5AT here. commute + fiance = no shift. the hatred of shifting in gridlock FAR exceeds the joy of shifting in the open for me.

Have you, or any other 5AT owners tried the paddle shifters? That's the direction Ferrari is going.

Peter Gregg was a very successful Porsche racer in the 70's who was once quoted as saying that he saw no reason to own a manual transmission car for the street. For me, that's a little extreme, but it does make some sense.

I definitely miss the fun of shifting. I've been in Europe this week and drove a turbo diesel Passat with a six speed. Even 170 HP is fun with a stick.

My advice is that if you don't ahve a killer commute, go with a manual. Like I stated earlier, 45 minutes of stop and go crawl is not fun.

dmkozak 08-31-2007 04:03 PM

For me, It's either a 6MT or a different car. I have not yet driven a 6MT G37. I hope to drive one this weekend. If I like the clutch action and feel, I will order one. If not, I will buy something else.

I did not vote because I will not consider the 5AT.