Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Limp mode '13x sedan - unlike others I've read about

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 PM
NH G37xS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Limp mode '13x sedan - unlike others I've read about

Hello all:

I've had my '13x sedan w/ 71k miles for about two months now. On two occasions over the last several weeks the car has gone into some sort of a limp mode but unlike what I've seen other posters explain here on the forums. The car has literally no throttle response. I can be doing 40 mph and if I floor it it just revs very, very slowly. However, I get no shuddering effect that others have explained, and the car will let me rev up to redline...again just very slowly and without any power. The trans will downshift if I floor it.

On both occasions I started the car cold while low on gas, with the computer telling me I had about 30 miles to empty. I drove for about 5 mins to a gas station, shut off, filled up and started driving and the car was no longer in limp mode. However, the most recent time (last night) when starting the car it began to bog down to 100-200 rpms then revived itself and ran fine.

I took the car to a local O'Reilly's the first time it happened to have them scan for codes and nothing showed up other than an indicator that the battery was on it's way out.

I post a new thread because what I have experienced appears to be unlike anything else I've read about on the forums regarding limp mode, at least what I could find. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms?

From what I can gather it could be one of these things:

1. Low on gas? That is the only common denominator between the two events, but I have never heard of a car going into limp mode because of low fuel.

2. Battery charge low? That is what the scan at O'Reilly's told me, however I don't see why that would cause limp mode.

3. Dirty throttle bodies and/or MAF Sensors. The car does have K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intakes that were installed and included with purchase. This will likely allow more grease/soot to coat the throttle bodies and MAF sensors...but to the point where it would cause limp mode and not throw any codes???

4. Something more serious. Worst case scenario is the timing gasket failure, but I thought that was only for earlier models. Car drives fine when not in limp mode and again...there are no codes.

I'll start with cleaning throttle bodies and MAF sensors, and maybe try an oil pressure test as well.

Any input is appreciated as this does concern me a little bit. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:18 PM
ETrev
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd guess this was caused by low fuel. When your G which gets ~25mpg at best says that it has an estimated 30 miles to empty, it's probably assuming you're going to drive as efficiently as possible. It doesn't take much extra throttle to drastically reduce your fuel efficiency, causing that 30 mile range estimate to plummet. Additionally, changes in incline may affect your fuel level sensor readings, and therefore affect your range estimate as well.

For reference, I had the same exact thing happen to me once. I had ~30 mile to empty estimate, and I decided I'd try and hop on the interstate (somewhat spiritedly). The range estimate immediately went from 30 miles to "---" before I could get to 60mph, then entered the same limp mode you described. It has never happened to me again since.

I'd guess the car is just trying to protect itself and prevent you from running completely out of gas. Unless this happens when you're not low on fuel, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:28 PM
NH G37xS

Originally Posted by ETrev
I'd guess this was caused by low fuel. When your G which gets ~25mpg at best says that it has an estimated 30 miles to empty, it's probably assuming you're going to drive as efficiently as possible. It doesn't take much extra throttle to drastically reduce your fuel efficiency, causing that 30 mile range estimate to plummet. Additionally, changes in incline may affect your fuel level sensor readings, and therefore affect your range estimate as well.

For reference, I had the same exact thing happen to me once. I had ~30 mile to empty estimate, and I decided I'd try and hop on the interstate (somewhat spiritedly). The range estimate immediately went from 30 miles to "---" before I could get to 60mph, then entered the same limp mode you described. It has never happened to me again since.

I'd guess the car is just trying to protect itself and prevent you from running completely out of gas. Unless this happens when you're not low on fuel, I wouldn't worry about it.
I certainly hope this is the case, but when I filled up last night it only took a little over 17 gallons, meaning that there were almost three gallons in the tank when it was in limp mode...not quite to the point where I was in danger of running out of fuel. And it also doesn't explain the bogging I had upon start up after filling up.

Really surprised that the car has a fail-safe to low fuel levels. I had no idea.

Thanks for the response, and I'm glad someone has had the same experience.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:37 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Another member just described similar symptoms. His issue was determined to be caused by water in the fuel tank. He had a dealership I think drain it and refuel it with quality gas, and it is running right. Maybe try and switch to a different brand gas/station and see if that helps clear anything up. Otherwise, try and clean the MAF's and throttle bodies, and possibly do the idle relearn procedure and see if that helps. MAF's won't always set codes.
The following users liked this post:
NH G37xS (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 03:30 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Fuel level has nothing to do with performance unless the tank is EMPTY. I never fill mine until I'm below E, way past when the miles to empty shows ***.

I'd look to water in the tank at this time. By the by, I never use cut-rate gas, like Krogers or Wal*Mart. It's always name brand. Shell, Exxon, Valero, or Chevron. Granted, non-franchise name brand stations are not required to buy name brand gas but I've never been let down.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:49 PM
770choice_37x

Crazy... my 2013 g37x sedan with 62k miles did this for the first time today. Or something similar:

I was getting on the highway and trying to accelerate on the on-ramp, and my car was not downshifting or accelerating quickly at all. So I press the pedal harder and it eventually downshifts and revs jump up to 3.5-5.5k and the car is barely going anywhere at all. It was pretty unnerving, and I was literally on the way to a 4-part interview and was distracted by it the whole time.

Within the last two weeks or so I have been hearing a single "click" from my axles (yes both, at different times) upon acceleration from a coast and sometimes deceleration; I was thinking this might have something to do with it, but I found a TSB for that. The TSB has to do with greasing the wheel hub bearing surface. It does mention pushing the axle back to gain access though

Anyways, what happened today seems similar to what you're describing. I'm going to perform the TSB, see if that helps, and follow this thread for additional info.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:50 PM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 13 G37x sedan... I seem to have experienced this limp mode a few times now. It happened 2x within the last 2 months and occurred this morning. 2/3 times it happened in the morning and once in the afternoon. My G runs great otherwise, no major issues other than a CAT replacement by dealership. I have stillen gen3 cai and stillen catback. This morning, I left my parking spot and made it to the intersection, not going over 35 mph/3.2K rpm. I turned on the main road to accelerate beyond 35 mph, once I hit around 40 mph - 47 mph...I noticed the engine rev'd up to about 3.5K - 4K but my speed remained the exact same. It would not upshift either. It held the gear for what seemed forever (5-10 seconds), and then eventually it upshift since I let off the throttle a bit. No codes or dash lights at all. I am confused.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:04 PM
NH G37xS

Originally Posted by 770choice_37x
Crazy... my 2013 g37x sedan with 62k miles did this for the first time today. Or something similar:

I was getting on the highway and trying to accelerate on the on-ramp, and my car was not downshifting or accelerating quickly at all. So I press the pedal harder and it eventually downshifts and revs jump up to 3.5-5.5k and the car is barely going anywhere at all. It was pretty unnerving, and I was literally on the way to a 4-part interview and was distracted by it the whole time.

Within the last two weeks or so I have been hearing a single "click" from my axles (yes both, at different times) upon acceleration from a coast and sometimes deceleration; I was thinking this might have something to do with it, but I found a TSB for that. The TSB has to do with greasing the wheel hub bearing surface. It does mention pushing the axle back to gain access though

Anyways, what happened today seems similar to what you're describing. I'm going to perform the TSB, see if that helps, and follow this thread for additional info.
Originally Posted by g37x2013
I have a 13 G37x sedan... I seem to have experienced this limp mode a few times now. It happened 2x within the last 2 months and occurred this morning. 2/3 times it happened in the morning and once in the afternoon. My G runs great otherwise, no major issues other than a CAT replacement by dealership. I have stillen gen3 cai and stillen catback. This morning, I left my parking spot and made it to the intersection, not going over 35 mph/3.2K rpm. I turned on the main road to accelerate beyond 35 mph, once I hit around 40 mph - 47 mph...I noticed the engine rev'd up to about 3.5K - 4K but my speed remained the exact same. It would not upshift either. It held the gear for what seemed forever (5-10 seconds), and then eventually it upshift since I let off the throttle a bit. No codes or dash lights at all. I am confused.
Were either of you low on gas when this happened? That has been the only common trait when it has happened to me.

I think it is either water in the tank or the throttle bodies and MAF sensors have buildup. This weekend I am going to try adding some Heet water remover in the gas tank, cycle through the tank, then add some injector cleaner. I'll also Take off my intakes and clean the throttle bodies and MAF sensors.

My car has an aftermarket K&N intake system which is likely to increase the rate of buildup on components of the induction system.

I'll report my findings back here.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:10 PM
NH G37xS

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Fuel level has nothing to do with performance unless the tank is EMPTY. I never fill mine until I'm below E, way past when the miles to empty shows ***.

I'd look to water in the tank at this time. By the by, I never use cut-rate gas, like Krogers or Wal*Mart. It's always name brand. Shell, Exxon, Valero, or Chevron. Granted, non-franchise name brand stations are not required to buy name brand gas but I've never been let down.
I agree and am afraid water may be in the tank. That would explain why this has only happened when I am low on fuel. Last time it happened I filled up the tank, started the car, and the revs bogged down to the point where the engine almost stalled, then revived itself and idled fine. I shut the car off, tried again, and the same exact thing happened again. This is something I had never experienced before this. Could this possibly be traces of water in the fuel system/injectors you think?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 PM
770choice_37x

Originally Posted by NH G37xS
Were either of you low on gas when this happened? That has been the only common trait when it has happened to me.

I think it is either water in the tank or the throttle bodies and MAF sensors have buildup. This weekend I am going to try adding some Heet water remover in the gas tank, cycle through the tank, then add some injector cleaner. I'll also Take off my intakes and clean the throttle bodies and MAF sensors.

My car has an aftermarket K&N intake system which is likely to increase the rate of buildup on components of the induction system.

When it happened to me yesterday, I had about half of my tank left.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:05 PM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NH G37xS

I was not low on gas, 3/4 tank. However, I never got codes before, but I ran my OBD2 reader after work (no CEL) but it finally pulled me codes. I got P0101 and P010B. So, pretty sure it is the MAF only causing the issue. I will keep this thread updated when I find out what I should do to relieve this issue.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:15 PM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Just cleaned the MAF sensors, also threw in a bottle Heet to the gas tank in case of water in fuel. Disconnected neg terminal too.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Joshua Pilgrim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2009 G37x. I put a used engine, wire harness, ecu, because my old one gave out on me. After installing these parts and having the dealership reprogram my ecu to the right VIN. I started to get random check engine codes. (P0300, P0011, P0021, P0524, P2A00). I clear the codes to ensure it was just a bad relearn. But, I still keep coming up with these codes after the dealer flash my ecu. I had replace the O2 sensor, both cam sensor and actuator, the oil pressure sensor. After driving the car for at least 30 min @ 70 MPH on the highway, nothing happen to the car. After letting the G37x sit for about two hour I took it for a drive and this is what happen (It seems to occur within 50 miles of refueling and at highway speeds. Also the engine is at operating temperature. When it occurs, the engine will not run over approx 2500 rpm and if it does reach 2500 it shakes violently until back down below 2500. If you pull over and shutdown, it will restart and run fine. No error code that I can read with my cheap device. Also no CEL. The violent shaking is really violent and it feels like theres a big chain attached to the axle stopping the car from moving forward.). I don’t know what else could cause this problem. Could it be a bent fuel line or pump?; Could it also be that my catalytic converter is partially clogged and is restricted the flow of exhaust. This guy posted a video of the same problem. But now one has a answer to it. I have no more check engine codes because my car pass the NYS emissions test yesterday. ����. Someone please help. I don’t know what else to do

Old 03-23-2018, 12:33 PM
770choice_37x

I won't be of any help to the post above^

But for OP and everyone else's information, the issue has not happened again. I have since cleaned my throttle bodies and changed differential oil. And performed a TSB for an axle click that involved lubricating near the axle and hub. I have no idea if this fixed the weird limp mode issue, but I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't come back.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:30 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Here's hoping...

Quick Reply: Limp mode '13x sedan - unlike others I've read about